Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

They're like pot stickers.

I finally got around to the tilapia with tzatziki sauce. It was delicious. I thought the sauce was a bit bland when I first tasted it, but once I spooned it over the fish and the bed of white and wild rice I served it on, it was perfect. Something about the way the flavors mingled.

I also discovered today that the leftover tzatziki sauce makes an excellent substitute for Miracle Whip or mayo in tuna salad sandwiches, and of course it's loads healthier.

I have a feeling that tzatziki sauce is going to make a regular appearance in a lot of my cooking from now on.

Do you make the tzatziki sauce yourself hon?

Absolutely. It's incredibly easy.

I dumped a bunch of unflavored Greek yogurt into the blender, then added peeled and sliced cucumbers, lemon, dill, garlic, a little bit of olive oil, and some pepper and seasoned salt. Turned it on, and when it was all liquid, I turned it off and spooned it over the fish.

I finally got around to the tilapia with tzatziki sauce. It was delicious. I thought the sauce was a bit bland when I first tasted it, but once I spooned it over the fish and the bed of white and wild rice I served it on, it was perfect. Something about the way the flavors mingled.

I also discovered today that the leftover tzatziki sauce makes an excellent substitute for Miracle Whip or mayo in tuna salad sandwiches, and of course it's loads healthier.

I have a feeling that tzatziki sauce is going to make a regular appearance in a lot of my cooking from now on.

I dumped a bunch of unflavored Greek yogurt into the blender, then added peeled and sliced cucumbers, lemon, dill, garlic, a little bit of olive oil, and some pepper and seasoned salt. Turned it on, and when it was all liquid, I turned it off and spooned it over the fish.

Good lord that sounds absolutely delicious.:eusa_drool:

It's gonna be gyoza again tonight! We were up all night last night making them (Well, I was up half the night until I fell asleep getting the boy back to sleep after he woke up around 3. The Mrs. finished the last 50 or so herself while I snored, half in and half out of a Thomas the Train bed).

That brings back memories. When I was a kid, we would have gyoza making day before the Christmas holidays. Rather an odd tradition for a bunch of Scandahoovians, but my mom found a recipe one year and it became a tradition.

I miss that!

It's a good family activity.

Greek yogurt is amazing stuff. I like it in place of sour cream when I make chips and dip. It's creamy and tangy, but whole worlds healthier.

My husband is happily looking forward to steamed rice with the last of the tzatziki on it tonight, and I plan to make more of it and whip up a Greek pasta salad with mostacchioli (I think it's called), fresh spinach leaves, olives, cherry tomatoes, and feta cheese. Maybe some sort of Italian lunch meat shredded onto it.

It's gonna be gyoza again tonight! We were up all night last night making them (Well, I was up half the night until I fell asleep getting the boy back to sleep after he woke up around 3. The Mrs. finished the last 50 or so herself while I snored, half in and half out of a Thomas the Train bed).

That brings back memories. When I was a kid, we would have gyoza making day before the Christmas holidays. Rather an odd tradition for a bunch of Scandahoovians, but my mom found a recipe one year and it became a tradition.

I miss that!

Hey, the Christmas tradition in my family is that my white Southern self and my half-Chinese husband make tamales, so . . . Kinda funny, a Chinese man who's been taught to cook Mexican food by a Southern woman.

I'm in Farmington, NM tonight.

Went out to Si Senors and had the chiles rellanos.

...meh....

Once you've been to Papacitos in Houston, everything else is only acceptable, or not.

Greek yogurt is amazing stuff. I like it in place of sour cream when I make chips and dip. It's creamy and tangy, but whole worlds healthier.

My husband is happily looking forward to steamed rice with the last of the tzatziki on it tonight, and I plan to make more of it and whip up a Greek pasta salad with mostacchioli (I think it's called), fresh spinach leaves, olives, cherry tomatoes, and feta cheese. Maybe some sort of Italian lunch meat shredded onto it.

Man, hes a lucky guy.

STEAK. Big ol' T-bone steak, perfectly seasoned and broiled to taste (husband ate dinner 12 minutes after I started, lol!)......with seasoned diced potatoes joined by onions and peppers, a few broiled mushroom caps, and lots of spinach (husband's vote). A glass of that Mercurey we like so much, and for dessert? Dark chocolate bits, fresh blackberries, and some Monterey Jack - nibbled with the husband in front of the fire : ))

It was a grand evening .....

STEAK. Big ol' T-bone steak, perfectly seasoned and broiled to taste (husband ate dinner 12 minutes after I started, lol!)......with seasoned diced potatoes joined by onions and peppers, a few broiled mushroom caps, and lots of spinach (husband's vote). A glass of that Mercurey we like so much, and for dessert? Dark chocolate bits, fresh blackberries, and some Monterey Jack - nibbled with the husband in front of the fire : ))

It was a grand evening .....

Sounds like it. I had Puerto Rican rice last night, I ate 3 bowls I was starving.

Oh, that's too many carbs, HG! You need to make a big bowl of salad and have it for the fist course, then wait about 20 minutes and have your entrée....

Risotto with corn:

1 3/4 cup arbario rice.
2 medium onions, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup sauvingon blanc
1 can cream style corn
1/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
48 oz of chicken broth (heated)
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt pepper

Heat oil + 1 tbsp butter in flameproof casserole/dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and soften 5 minutes. add rice, cook for 2 minutes. add wine, stir until most of wine is absorbed. add 1/2 cup of the broth at a time, stirring frequently, adding more when most of the broth is absorbed, do this for 15 mintues, and start checking for doneness. total time should be 18-20 mintues. when just before desired doneness, add corn, and heat through. season with salt & pepper. add heavy cream and remaining butter, stir to mix and melt butter. add parmigiano-reggiano cheese, stir to mix and heat. serve immidiately.

Forum List

Back