Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Last night, it was crock-potted pork chops in creamy mushroom sauce, over rice.

Either tonight or tomorrow night, I'm going to make tilapia in tzatziki sauce with wild rice.

How do you do those pork chops and how long does it take? sounds delicious.

Well, these took a while, because they didn't get taken out of the freezer and thawed. Basically, you just layer them in the crockpot with cream of mushroom soup, turn it on high, and check them periodically. In the case of my frozen pork chops, I think it took about 4 hours. I like to do them that way because I can have dinner preparing itself while I'm working, and I know they'll come out tender.

Last night, it was crock-potted pork chops in creamy mushroom sauce, over rice.

Either tonight or tomorrow night, I'm going to make tilapia in tzatziki sauce with wild rice.

Well, these took a while, because they didn't get taken out of the freezer and thawed. Basically, you just layer them in the crockpot with cream of mushroom soup, turn it on high, and check them periodically. In the case of my frozen pork chops, I think it took about 4 hours. I like to do them that way because I can have dinner preparing itself while I'm working, and I know they'll come out tender.

How many chops did you put in?

Ok so I made the beer butt chicken...I put the onion and garlic cloves in and then jammed the chicken down on top of the not quite full opened beer...then the beer can sort of collapsed, so my chicken was a kilter....but I leaned it up against the side of my roaster.

It did turn out good. Cheap chickens are usually tough chickens, and this was no exception...though it was quite large and meaty, so there was that! I cooked it at 350 for 2 hours...I turned it down to 325 for the last 15 or so...I think it could have done with another half hour to hour, because although it was certainly completely done, the white meat was pretty tough and didn't exactly fall off the bone.

But overall...the broth was WONDERFUL and there was a lot of it. This does taste a little beery....so if you expect it to taste like something else, you will be disappointed it. I don't mind beer taste, but I'm not a huge fan, either. Still the broth was fab and I could see using it in a soup (like beer cheese soup!) and it would be absolutely wonderul! Also there was a lot of broth, which I like. I served it at the table in little sauce cups for dipping the chicken in...my daughter liked it, my niece didn't. I liked it, it's great for dipping bread in too.

So...if you're using a big tough chicken, you probably want to cook a little longer than you would ordinarily cook a roaster; I think it could have cooked for 3 hours...350 for the first two and 325 for the last hour. It had a pretty good color, would have been better with another hour. Still, it did look beautiful, but because it was a little tough, didn't cut up easily.

I paid $.89/lb, and the bird cost around 5.49, that's over a 6lb roaster...though technically, I think it should have been a stewing chicken.

We fed 2 kids and 2 adults, and there was a full 2 cups of chicken left over.

Served it with potato wedges (skin on) dredged in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and paprika....put those in at 350 for the last 20 minutes or so and they were really yummy. Peas and cranberry sauce, the fam felt like they had a real meal.

I had a question about that, I don't have a grill right now so it would have to go in the oven, do you leave the can in the bird when you put it in the oven? that may sound like a stupid question but I was having trouble when I read the direction, the instructions say to put the can in there but it never says to take it out, won't that start a fire?:redface:

You set the bird on top of the can and leave it there while it cooks.

Don't forget though you only need about half a can of beer

HS0104_32921_s4x3_lg.jpg

The bird sit up like this. It works just fine in the oven. You might have to lower the rack.

Good looking out!

I did mine in the stove, in a big turkey roaster, just so if it fell over or exploded or had too much juice I'd be covered. As it turned out, I had to lean it up against the side of the roaster, and it worked out great. I turned it over to get an even brown. My brown wasn't quite this spectacular...I think it needed probably another hour, but I was super pleased with the browning even so. It's really easy, too.

Word to the wise...don't really push down on the beer can when you're trying to fit the can in there, unless you have more beer to replace your crushed one.

Last edited:
I bought a chicken last night and was going to prep it for the rotissirie, I took out the giblets and there was like this green slime inside the chicken and the giblets. Needless to say I threw out the bird, but did anyone else ever see this kind of crap before? I have NEVER seen anything green inside a chicken.

Better safe than sorry. If I bring home funky food, I'll return it the next day for refund/exchange.

Green slime indicates innards. It could either be a nasty liver, or they just didn't get the gut contents out adequately. I scooped a lot of garbage out of my chicken last night, too, and I tossed the liver which was mangled and looked yucky.

Word to the wise...when you get poultry, particularly whole birds....washed those puppies inside adn out with a scrub brush and soap. My mom taught me that (we frequently raised and butchered our own, and she was raised on home grown meat) and we often ate gamebirds. So long as you make sure you rinse it well, you are at a lot less risk from a few suds than you are from the crap that resides in a chicken's innards. Those birds are gutted and dipped on an assembly line, and you could get all kinds of garbage...so be safe...open your packaging in the sink, drain it all out, toss the stuff and tie it up for disposal, then wash the crap out of them. She would actually put dishsoap on the bird, and use a scrub brush to completely scrub the outside of the bird, neglecting no inch of skin (under the arms, around the tail)...and then use the sprayer to spray and your hand or the scrubber to scrape out the inside...and make sure you pull the breast away from the neck to rinse that out too...it will reveal an opening that goes clear to the cavity, usually.

If you see skin that looks nasty...say, around the tail, the big cavity (I'm not talking fat, I'm talking the skin), has pin feathers still attached, looks dirty, just cut it off. Then I pull the hard fat that also resides in those areas (it's subcutaneous fat, just rinse it off) and I throw that in the pan...it will cook down and give you a nice fat for the chicken to rest in/keep it from sticking/use for gravy or broth). I don't worry too much about the pin feathers/nastiness stuck to the bone end of the drumsticks, so long as you scrub it, nobody really eats that anyway and it doesn't tend to have much stuck to it)....

But if you remember nothing else, take this away...scrub poultry before you cook it. Use a scrub brush and be relentless, and rinse out the cavity until you feel satisfied there's no nastiness sill residing there. Heat will kill most stuff, but you really don't want chicken shit in your food..and if it was green, that's probably what you were dealing with. Intestinal contents. Possibly putrid liver. Either way...

I bought a chicken last night and was going to prep it for the rotissirie, I took out the giblets and there was like this green slime inside the chicken and the giblets. Needless to say I threw out the bird, but did anyone else ever see this kind of crap before? I have NEVER seen anything green inside a chicken.

Better safe than sorry. If I bring home funky food, I'll return it the next day for refund/exchange.

Green slime indicates innards. It could either be a nasty liver, or they just didn't get the gut contents out adequately. I scooped a lot of garbage out of my chicken last night, too, and I tossed the liver which was mangled and looked yucky.

Word to the wise...when you get poultry, particularly whole birds....washed those puppies inside adn out with a scrub brush and soap. My mom taught me that (we frequently raised and butchered our own, and she was raised on home grown meat) and we often ate gamebirds. So long as you make sure you rinse it well, you are at a lot less risk from a few suds than you are from the crap that resides in a chicken's innards. Those birds are gutted and dipped on an assembly line, and you could get all kinds of garbage...so be safe...open your packaging in the sink, drain it all out, toss the stuff and tie it up for disposal, then wash the crap out of them. She would actually put dishsoap on the bird, and use a scrub brush to completely scrub the outside of the bird, neglecting no inch of skin (under the arms, around the tail)...and then use the sprayer to spray and your hand or the scrubber to scrape out the inside...and make sure you pull the breast away from the neck to rinse that out too...it will reveal an opening that goes clear to the cavity, usually.

If you see skin that looks nasty...say, around the tail, the big cavity (I'm not talking fat, I'm talking the skin), has pin feathers still attached, looks dirty, just cut it off. Then I pull the hard fat that also resides in those areas (it's subcutaneous fat, just rinse it off) and I throw that in the pan...it will cook down and give you a nice fat for the chicken to rest in/keep it from sticking/use for gravy or broth). I don't worry too much about the pin feathers/nastiness stuck to the bone end of the drumsticks, so long as you scrub it, nobody really eats that anyway and it doesn't tend to have much stuck to it)....

But if you remember nothing else, take this away...scrub poultry before you cook it. Use a scrub brush and be relentless, and rinse out the cavity until you feel satisfied there's no nastiness sill residing there. Heat will kill most stuff, but you really don't want chicken shit in your food..and if it was green, that's probably what you were dealing with. Intestinal contents. Possibly putrid liver. Either way...

Hmm so if I just washed the bird and cleaned out the green stuff it would have been ok? nothing was wrong with the chicken on the outside, just the green stuff spooked me. I had never seen it before.

I think so. Just make really, really sure you cook it until it's completely done. And maybe don't stuff this one, lol.

You'll also sometimes gets bigs of the lungs still attached in there..and liver can be really greenish so if they stuck that back in there, it could very well be that. But honestly, if it's green, just make sure you get it out, dump it, and wash the crap out of it. Unless you have some reason to think it's like radioactive slime or something, heat is going to kill just about anything that a chicken might have in it...though trust me, if it's intestinal contents it's going to taste nasty no matter how long you cook it.

I tend to think it was the liver...they get mangled and stuff, and they can turn pretty green. I threw mine out last night, it was all nasty looking..it wasn't quite green but it was on it's way, and it was just sort of a gelatinous, holy looking blob of gunk. I threw the heart and the gizzard and the neck into my roasting pan to add to the pan drippings...after I rinsed them off but good.

Whole chickens are nasty creatures; but they are worth the trouble money wise, and even flavor wise...you just have to make sure you're super clean. don't flop them around on the counter before you wash them..I take mine directly from the fridge or my supermarket bag to the (empty) sink, where I strip them of packaging, drain all the stuff out of the packaging, and bag it up and get it into the garbage without getting any drippings anywhere on my floor or counter or anywhere outside of the sink. I wash them right there, I toss what I don't want right away and what I don't goes immediately into the pot they're going into..I don't cart them around on plates or boards or anything else, the less contact with any surface, the better.

And as soon as everything is where it needs to be...in the oven or whatever, start washing everything...knives (and wash the whole knife not just the blade for god's sake) and the boards (put them in the sink to wash them, don't just wipe them down) the counters (underneatn the cutting boards) the dishes if there are any...raw chicken stuff can be seriously deadly, you don't want that crap around.

Now that you're sufficiently terrified, have fun cooking chicken!!!

I think so. Just make really, really sure you cook it until it's completely done. And maybe don't stuff this one, lol.

You'll also sometimes gets bigs of the lungs still attached in there..and liver can be really greenish so if they stuck that back in there, it could very well be that. But honestly, if it's green, just make sure you get it out, dump it, and wash the crap out of it. Unless you have some reason to think it's like radioactive slime or something, heat is going to kill just about anything that a chicken might have in it...though trust me, if it's intestinal contents it's going to taste nasty no matter how long you cook it.

I tend to think it was the liver...they get mangled and stuff, and they can turn pretty green. I threw mine out last night, it was all nasty looking..it wasn't quite green but it was on it's way, and it was just sort of a gelatinous, holy looking blob of gunk. I threw the heart and the gizzard and the neck into my roasting pan to add to the pan drippings...after I rinsed them off but good.

Whole chickens are nasty creatures; but they are worth the trouble money wise, and even flavor wise...you just have to make sure you're super clean. don't flop them around on the counter before you wash them..I take mine directly from the fridge or my supermarket bag to the (empty) sink, where I strip them of packaging, drain all the stuff out of the packaging, and bag it up and get it into the garbage without getting any drippings anywhere on my floor or counter or anywhere outside of the sink. I wash them right there, I toss what I don't want right away and what I don't goes immediately into the pot they're going into..I don't cart them around on plates or boards or anything else, the less contact with any surface, the better.

And as soon as everything is where it needs to be...in the oven or whatever, start washing everything...knives (and wash the whole knife not just the blade for god's sake) and the boards (put them in the sink to wash them, don't just wipe them down) the counters (underneatn the cutting boards) the dishes if there are any...raw chicken stuff can be seriously deadly, you don't want that crap around.

Now that you're sufficiently terrified, have fun cooking chicken!!!

lol thanks KG, I guess I could salvaged the one last night the green stuff really freaked me out.

Yes, whole dead animals are daunting creatures.

I've washed venison too...though not usually with soap. In fact, I've stored venison in water in my fridge for long periods of time...so long as the water is changed and rinsed out. It reduces gaminess and will remove any of the nasty crap like hair and urine that can make the meat taste like vile garbage. With venison (unlike with beef) it's really important to remove all white connective material and fat...the fat and the stryfn (that's what we called it) lend toughness and gaminess to the meat that venison does much better without. In fact, we always boned our venison completely, except for ribs and the neck, which we usually roasted and gave to the dogs (or boned and used for jerky or ground meat) anyway.

BTW, k... there was no spat with the Mrs. I dutifully ate my dinner. :D

We all make sacrifices in order to maintain peace, after all.

I dutifully do sinkfuls of dishes and mop the floor even though my dil spends the days concocting homemade bodily ungents and creams and never wiping down counters or washing as she goes......

and never a negative or cross word do my lips utter, lol. The older I get, the more I realize...the better part of valor is complete and cheerful silence. I'm best served never to be surly, or bossy, or complaining. And I hope that in the future, when she hosts her grown children, she will honor me by being a cheerful and loving source of strength to them.

That's a long ways in the future, but in the meantime, nobody's mad, and there's a lot to be said for that. So the counters are dirty and the floor sticky (until I deal with them)...and my favorite blue tea pot has disappeared...I fear forever (broken)...but these are small things. In action and demeanor she is kind and respectful towards me, and she is a willing chauffeur for the kids, so really, what's to complain about?

Regarding food that leaves a little to be desire...as I tell my kids, well, every meal isn't going to be your favorite meal. Ultimately the purpose of food is to keep you alive. Choke it down and call it your good deed for the day.

Last edited:

How many chops did you put in?

I believe it was something like 3 pounds. Oh, you also have to turn them and shift their position every so often, so they get a chance to cook through and the sauce gets stirred up.

Forum List

Back