What a country

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
I was just talking via PM with another poster on this board and that reminded me of this event that occured recently.

Myself and two friends were out to a late dinner a few days ago. Nothing elaborate as we were sharing a large pizza in a local pizzareia and tho the place was rather small it was quite crowded. Both my friends are still in the military (one Army and one Air Force) and both are officers. They were both still in uniform as we were working late and in fact were on our way back to the base for an even later night's work. Naturally we were chatting about things military; their current situations and my past experiences, etc. Anyway, when it came time to pay the bill, the waitress simply told us "Your bill has already been taken care of. The gentleman who paid it said to make sure he had left before we told you, but he said to thank you for your service and that your dinner was compliments of "the old Navy SEALs".

I am in awe of the attitude displayed by most citizens towards today's military and veterans. It is a far cry from those days when I was in my early twenties and came home from SE Asia to be called a "baby killing, war mongering pig". It makes me realize that it was all worth it, even if it did not appear to be at the time.

It also makes me realize that, despite what we see in the media these days, the true heart of America carries on without the need for sanction by the political pundits, scatter brained entertainers, or even international approval.

What a country!

Awesome story! It does my heart good to hear wonderful things such as this!
Thanks CSM for your invaluable service in our Military and to our Country! :beer:

I second that CSM! There are many here who are serving or have served! We thank all of you! :usa: :usa: :usa:

Such events, whether they happen to me or fellow veterans or those currently serving truly humble me. It may sound rather strange, but here I am after all these years feeling really honored to have had the opportunity to serve this great nation and its citizens. That, my fellow posters, is something I never felt in the 30 years I was in.

CSM said:
Such events, whether they happen to me or fellow veterans or those currently serving truly humble me. It may sound rather strange, but here I am after all these years feeling really honored to have had the opportunity to serve this great nation and its citizens. That, my fellow posters, is something I never felt in the 30 years I was in.
You didn't "have had" the opportunity to serve your country....you are still serving it by participating and thanking today's soldiers. The guy in the pizzeria (how the hell do you spell that??) is also doing his small part...kudo to him (just in case he happens to read the us message board!)

What a great story!!! You guys deserve all the appreciation in the world. We salute you and your great friends. My father in law was in Vietnam for about a year,and anyone who behaved the way some of those people did don't deserve to be Americans. Thanks again for you service,we are forever greatful!!!!!

:clap1: :thup: :hail: :usa:

krisy said:
What a great story!!! You guys deserve all the appreciation in the world. We salute you and your great friends. My father in law was in Vietnam for about a year,and anyone who behaved the way some of those people did don't deserve to be Americans. Thanks again for you service,we are forever greatful!!!!!
:clap1: :thup: :hail: :usa:

I agree Krisy! Those in the 70's were wrong, think many of them get that now. Todays extremists! Piss on them!

Whatever your take on Iraq, can't blame the military for doing our bidding! Rock On!

I have heard recent stories about businessmen who have given up their first-class seats on airlines to soldiers to show their respect and to honor the service these soldiers are giving to America.

Forum List

Back