What are you listening to?

[Pink Floyd "Money" expurgated version]

It's a travesty to cut David Gilmour's guitar solo out of that track, IMO one of his two best ever.

Here it is restored, three verses worth. Begins at 3:06, lays low second time through, then triumphantly returns at 4:31 and finally brings the theme home at 5:01. Absolutely masterful even after hearing it ten thousand times.

This is Gilmour's other best solo, 1:28 to 1:44 just for a teaser, then all stops pulled out at 2:59 where outstanding use of glissando takes over the track for the duration

ff to :45 where it begins. I was fortunate enough to visit the Musical Wonder House in Wiscasset, Maine, which had a large number of these music boxes. The owner gave us the tour and he knew everything about them, repaired them, too. Unbelievable to hear these in the same room with you.

Outstanding post, thank you. :clap2:

I visited a musical instrument museum in northern Michigan where they had piano rolls 'recorded' by people before high fidelity recording was developed -- these rolls would copy all the intonations of the player who made them. We watched a player piano play a composition as played by George Gershwin himself, live, which is pretty remarkable since he died in 1937.
Wow! I never knew they could do that! I love anything that winds up--clocks, music boxes, automatons. They've always fascinated me.

Wiki: >> Rolls for the reproducing piano were generally made from the recorded performances of famous musicians. Typically, a pianist would sit at a specially designed recording piano, and the pitch and duration of any notes played would be either marked or perforated on a blank roll, together with the duration of the sustaining and soft pedal.

Reproducing pianos can also re-create the dynamics of a pianist's performance by means of specially encoded control perforations placed towards the edges of a music roll. Different companies had different ways of notating dynamics, some technically advanced, some secret, and some dependent entirely on a recording producer's handwritten notes, but in all cases these dynamic hieroglyphics had to be skillfully converted into the specialized perforated codes needed by the different types of instrument.

Recorded rolls play at a specific, marked speed, where for example, 70 signifies 7 feet (2.1 m) of paper travel in one minute, at the start of the roll. On all pneumatic player pianos, the paper is pulled on to a take-up spool, and as more paper winds on, so the effective diameter of the spool increases, and with it the paper speed. Player piano engineers were well aware of this, as can be seen from many patents of the time, but since reproducing piano recordings were generally made with a similar take-up spool drive, the tempo of the recorded performance is faithfully reproduced, despite the gradually increasing paper speed.

The playing of many pianists and composers is preserved on reproducing piano roll. Gustav Mahler, Camille Saint-Saëns, Edvard Grieg, Teresa Carreño, Claude Debussy, Manuel de Falla, Scott Joplin, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Sergei Prokofiev, Alexander Scriabin, Jelly Roll Morton and George Gershwin are amongst the composers and pianists who have had their performances recorded in this way. <<​

I saw this kid live last night- he's young and just getting started but he has a lotta potential

Cannon Brand, above, opened for this man who is becoming a living legend in Texas Music

Puts on a helluva show- I saw them in a really small venue so they were relaxed almost more like a jam session than a concert

Trying to learn
some finger-picking because I've always only used picks.
If I can do a small fraction of what Joe could do I'd be happy.

Well if you're just learning I wouldn't advise Joe Pass as a goal to reach for --- maybe down the road. For a way simpler start I'd suggest open tunings.

Ironically the video stays on the left hand most of the way but when you do see the right hand he's using a multifinger pinching technique where is hand is floating. That seems kind of iffy but he's no doubt used to it. I always anchor my hand with the little finger so I have a stable position, then I always know where the other fingers are.

I have a friend who kind of plays like this video, but I also know he's lefthanded playing righthanded.

Forum List

Back