What are you reading?

I am not so much reading my books as keeping them on the bedside table. Here are the titles of some of the books I keep by my bed.

Hands of Light, by Barbara ann Brennan
The natural history of the universe, by Colin Ronan
Wonders of the universe, By Brian Cox
Spirit teachings, by Stainton Moses
Journey to the east, by Herman Hesse
Life in the world unseen, by Anthony Borgia
Renicarnation the hope of the world, By Irving s. Cooper
Man and his bodies, by Annie Bessant
A brief history of time, by Steven Hawking

I'm finally getting around to reading the Hunger Games and finding out what the hype is about. I have just started the third book. They are not as bad as I feared, but I certainly understand why they are considered young adult. They are fairly short and lacking in depth. Decent books nonetheless.

9600146.jpg

I just started The Last Stand, about the Custer fight, so far I am very impressed with it.

"Our Man in Havana" by Graham Greene (published in 1958)

It's a satire/black comedy/thriller about a British citizen who's been living in Havana, Cuba for years. He works as a vacuum cleaner salesman and becomes a reluctant spy for British intelligence. Since he has no real military or other useful intelligence to offer, before too long, he starts supplying bogus information to the agency from nonexistent operatives just so he can pad his expense account in order to earn enough money so that he can afford to buy and stable a horse for his soon-to-be 17 yo daughter who just so happens to be a devote Catholic.

I read Cabinet of Curiosities! Very good.

Right now, it's Ameritopia by Mark Levin.

I wanted to read that as well but ain't gonna spend money on it and library doesn't have it yet...oh well got tons of books to read...not sure what gonna read next...took back like 11 books this morning to library may read another Johnstone Ashes series book....

"Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet" by Bill McKibben

McKibben wrote "The End of Nature" way back in 1989. What made that book stand out is that it's regarded as the first book on global warming that was written for general audiences. (I never read it) That seems like a long time ago now.

This is the 4th book I've read on global warming, and I could tell right away that it's absolutely written for the layperson. There are pros and cons in that approach.

One pro is that you're not forced to read the science behind the conclusions even though it's not necessarily a bad thing to wade into the actual science. You're given a more readable format that provides you with facts, many of which are historical because they're placed in context within Earth's more recent climate history under which civilization grew and flourished.

One con is that it can be interpreted as unduly alarmist since many of the facts which are presented in quick succession ARE, in fact, scary. But there's plenty of reason to be scared considering the trend lines and how much of what is happening has a magnification factor. But that fear isn't really for ourselves. It's for the coming generations that we should be afraid since most of us won't be around to see the worst of what's predicted to come in the next hundred years or so even though it will almost certainly become increasingly clear what's happening as the years go by.

Last edited:
Finished "No Easy Day" at the Hospital, it's a very interesting and easy read... It's like the guy is sitting there telling you the story........

Forum List

Back