🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What ARENT we doing for vets!?

It's not working properly or how it was designed. But the number of uninsured folks continues to drop.
Vets make just enough with retirement not to qualify for subsidies. Why would they want to use Obamacare?
Ah, that's a good question, but I said in an earlier post that Timmy's idea might have merit if vets were "given" top tier Obamacare policies at no cost and w/o out of pocket. If non-disabled vets got basically the same care as everyone, but got it as retirement benefit, and it saved money, then it seems to me it might be a good idea. There's no doubt that vets access has been cut, and I think even vet groups want "vouchers."

The disabled vets would still need to be picked up by a vet program.

Well, the point is the gop will never be able to return to pre-Obamacare and the feds will now have to have some means to help people have healthcare. Obamacare wasn't my choice, but the gop decided to sit it out and try to make Obama a one-termer. So, Obamacare isn't really the issue, no matter how much you wish it were.

Rather, the issue we have Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare (with Obamacare having Medicaid expansion in 31 states) and .... vets care. Does it make sense to have fewer programs that cover more people?

It's not working properly or how it was designed. But the number of uninsured folks continues to drop.
Vets make just enough with retirement not to qualify for subsidies. Why would they want to use Obamacare?

Really ? What do they get? Doesn't it depend on rank ?

Some kid joins at 18, and retires 20 years later . He's 38! It's not like his work life is over . How big a retirement does he get .

This is a big mantra this election. That we "are Not doing enough for vets!" How so ?

If anything We do TOO MUCH for vets . the VA should be for vets who were lifers and /or injured as a result of thier service .

Instead, so much vet money goes to ex soildiers who really don't need the help.

My brother was in the marines in the late 80s. Did his stint, got out , has a good job and bennies like health insurance . Does he need any vet bennies ? Whether it be subsidized loans or va health care. It's not like he was drafted , he joined on his own.

I hope we can have a discussion on this and not be attacked by the PC police .

One complaint I have heard is that Vets have to wait incredibly long amounts of time for treatment....
And they have to travel hundreds of miles to a center for treatment....

Ok...That's two things that come to mind.

If u live far from a major city you probably are far from a va hospital .

Is the VA medical setup outdated ? Why not just "obamacare " these guys so they can use local doctors ?

Why not just "obamacare " these guys so they can use local doctors ?

Look up Tricare.

It was around long before Obama

Tricare for Life is only for RETIRED service members and their families.

Which is why I"ll be looking into it
Are you a retired vet? If so, you should have signed up for Tricare when you retired. I don't know if there is a deadline before it is too late.

If you live near a military base, Tricare Prime is the best deal you will ever find. If you don't live near a base, as I mentioned earlier, Tricare Prime will involve traveling long distances to see a doctor.

Tricare Prime has a premium payment, but very low co-pays. Tricare Standard has no premium payment, but very high co-pays.

If you have a family member with a catastrophic illness, as I do, you cannot afford Tricare Standard. Even though there is a catastrophic cap, that cap is the equivalent of buying a used car every year. I've hit the cap three times in six years, and that's with Tricare Prime!

I hit the cap in less than a month when I was forced onto Tricare Standard a couple years ago. My family member's medical bills literally went up tenfold when going from Prime to Standard. So much for "if you like your insurance, you can keep you insurance."

It is only because I have been battling Washington DC for years that I knew my way around the system well enough to fight the system to get back on Tricare Prime. I still had to fill out a lot of paperwork. And as I said earlier, we have to travel long distances to take my catastrophically ill family member to see a doctor now. Fucking, fucking, fucking asshole Paul Ryan.

If you and your family are in good health, but don't live near a military treatment facility, then Tricare Standard is probably the better deal for you.

If you live near a base, though, Tricare Prime is the way to go.

This is a big mantra this election. That we "are Not doing enough for vets!" How so ?

If anything We do TOO MUCH for vets . the VA should be for vets who were lifers and /or injured as a result of thier service .

My brother was in the marines in the late 80s. Did his stint, got out , has a good job and bennies like health insurance . Does he need any vet bennies ? Whether it be subsidized loans or va health care. It's not like he was drafted , he joined on his own.

We don't pay them anywhere near enough while they are serving

One complaint I have heard is that Vets have to wait incredibly long amounts of time for treatment....
And they have to travel hundreds of miles to a center for treatment....

Ok...That's two things that come to mind.

Is the VA medical setup outdated ? Why not just "obamacare " these guys so they can use local doctors ?

Look up Tricare.

Are you a retired vet? If so, you should have signed up for Tricare when you retired. I don't know if there is a deadline before it is too late.

If you live near a military base, Tricare Prime is the best deal you will ever find. If you don't live near a base, as I mentioned earlier, Tricare Prime will involve traveling long distances to see a doctor.

Tricare Prime has a premium payment, but very low co-pays. Tricare Standard has no premium payment, but very high co-pays.

If you have a family member with a catastrophic illness, as I do, you cannot afford Tricare Standard. Even though there is a catastrophic cap, that cap is the equivalent of buying a used car every year. I've hit the cap three times in six years, and that's with Tricare Prime!

I hit the cap in less than a month when I was forced onto Tricare Standard a couple years ago. My family member's medical bills literally went up tenfold when going from Prime to Standard. So much for "if you like your insurance, you can keep you insurance."

It is only because I have been battling Washington DC for years that I knew my way around the system well enough to fight the system to get back on Tricare Prime. I still had to fill out a lot of paperwork. And as I said earlier, we have to travel long distances to take my catastrophically ill family member to see a doctor now. Fucking, fucking, fucking asshole Paul Ryan.

If you and your family are in good health, but don't live near a military treatment facility, then Tricare Standard is probably the better deal for you.

retired shortly after 20, but got a job when I got out, and used their and/or my wifes insurance plan.

From what little I've read, no problem still signing up for Tricare even after 26 years.

nearest base is 130 miles

Look up Tricare.

retired shortly after 20, but got a job when I got out, and used their and/or my wifes insurance plan.

From what little I've read, no problem still signing up for Tricare even after 26 years.

Okay. Get yourself some Tricare Standard. You will be able to use any local civilian doctor that accepts Tricare, which is most of them. You can use Tricare Standard to supplement your wife's health insurance and really cut your costs down.

Plus, when you hit 65 years of age and go on Medicare, you can combine it with Tricare and pretty much have no co-pays at all.

As a retiree, you are leaving money on the table if you don't have Tricare.

Look up Tricare.

Okay. Get yourself some Tricare Standard. You will be able to use any local civilian doctor that accepts Tricare, which is most of them. You can use Tricare Standard to supplement your wife's health insurance and really cut your costs down.

Plus, when you hit 65 years of age and go on Medicare, you can combine it with Tricare and pretty much have no co-pays at all.

Plus, when you hit 65 years of age and go on Medicare,

already hit that, but no sense using both Tri and my wifes insurance.

She's retiring in a few months, so need to cover my butt

We don't pay them anywhere near enough while they are serving

All there needs are taken care of . That's a foem of payment .

Oh, one other benefit of being a vet is you can get USAA insurance.

That's HUGE. They are much cheaper than everyone else.

I used to use GEICO back when it was the Government Employeee Insurance COmpany. That's where the name comes from. Probably not a lot of people know that.

When it was just for government employees and vets, it was awesome. Now it is open to everyone and not so great any more.

USAA is the bomb. Used to only be available to officers. Glad they opened it up to us enlisted.

Look up Tricare.

I do that, but I pay for Prime. We're all covered under my employer policy and use Prime as a supplement. With a teenage boy in the house, it's nice not to pay the emergency room co-pay. [emoji3]

Obviously, not enough. Trump is holding a benefit for veterans tonight and I see drives on TV all the time to help them. The government is responsible for them.

One thing we can do is not get involved in every little skirmish. We should not be the worlds police.

Forum List

Back