What Dark-skinned People Prefer to be called...

Why are whites who have created tons of overtly racist threads commenting on what we call each other?

I don't agree with blues man often, but here he is right. This has been part of the problem all along. Whites are the ones who decided to describe us as n words. This thread is an example of how the past still impacts us today.

you feel IMPACTED by the english language and how anthropologists used it in the 19th century? You are more IMPACTED than a wisdom tooth

There are times when it is appropriate to identify a person by his race. "Jackie Robinson was the first Negro to play in the Major Leagues." And if you had referred to him personally as "black," he would have been mightily offended.

And there you have it.
I disagree.

All that does is perpetuate racial bias.

Since my mother mixed race was I could say I'm Black even though I have light skin and hazel green eyes.

I can say I'm White even though I am 25% Black.

I come to a realization quite early in my life that skin color is completely irrelevant.

And there is only one race we should be concerned about.
You can say that but you've lived your life as a white person.

No everyone I knew growing up knew my mother was mixed race. I grew up in a shitty neighborhood that was overwhelmingly Black. After my mother died when I was 14 I wound up in foster care with a Black couple and he used to call me Whitey and the white kids at school would call me ******.

I lived my life as a kid who was too black to be white and too white to be black.

It's how I learned that skin color is completely irrelevant and people will always find some way to judge others.
Racism encompasses much more that that. You got prejudice and that's fucked up too.

Why are whites who have created tons of overtly racist threads commenting on what we call each other?

I don't agree with blues man often, but here he is right. This has been part of the problem all along. Whites are the ones who decided to describe us as n words. This thread is an example of how the past still impacts us today.

you feel IMPACTED by the english language and how anthropologists used it in the 19th century? You are more IMPACTED than a wisdom tooth
Please shut up. Because that's not all this is about.

Its not what you call each other. Its what your preference is. I am white, or caucasion. If you don't know someone's name but want to describe them.

As a white guy, I am really offended when black people refer to me as a "jive assed honky mutha fucka.
Since that hasn't been used since the 70's...

How about by their names?

Bob, or Peter, Mary or Elizabeth?
White people names, ya damn racist
Names don't belong to a race.

Then why does the left constantly call barry the first black president?
So does the right. Except those like you who thinks he is Kenyan.

But you were just bitching about using black as an identifier.
So which is it,bad or good?
Or does that depend on who's saying it?

How about by their names?

Bob, or Peter, Mary or Elizabeth?
White people names, ya damn racist
Names don't belong to a race.

Then why does the left constantly call barry the first black president?
So does the right. Except those like you who thinks he is Kenyan.

Actually, there have been 7 black presidents in America- 4 of the them were Republicans.

Here we have NATIONAL NEWS that Roger Stone, notorious friend of President Trump, had the audacity to use the term, "NEGRO[!]" in public while being interviewed. Pass the smelling salts.

The word is referred to as a "racial slur." GIMMEAFUKKINBREAK.

The word, "Negro," (Spanish for "black") is racially and semantically correct, and has been used for GENERATIONS to refer to such people - without objection.

What other group of people changes the words by which they are referred in conversation over time, and then deems terms that were previously acceptable - even polite - offensive to their contemporary sensitivities? Nobody.

One cannot fail to note that the largest and oldest organization representing the interests of Negroes is called, the "National Organization for the Advancement of Colored People." God forbid any caucasian from using THAT unfortunate expression.

By holding sensitivities like this, the African American community trivializes what it claims to be serious social and political issues. A pox on any Black person who objects to being referred to as a "Negro." There is nothing disparaging or insulting about the term; it's all in your head.
What is or is not disparaging or insulting is up to the person being referred to. Doesn’t seem that difficult to refer to people the way they would like to be referred. Getting all bent out of shape about it because it makes you feel somehow impotent that certain terms may cause offense seems to be a YOU problem.

Its not what you call each other. Its what your preference is. I am white, or caucasion. If you don't know someone's name but want to describe them.

As a white guy, I am really offended when black people refer to me as a "jive assed honky mutha fucka.
Maybe you need to repair your time machine.

Here we have NATIONAL NEWS that Roger Stone, notorious friend of President Trump, had the audacity to use the term, "NEGRO[!]" in public while being interviewed. Pass the smelling salts.

The word, "Negro," (Spanish for "black") is racially and semantically correct, and has been used for GENERATIONS to refer to such people - without objection.

What other group of people changes the words by which they are referred in conversation over time, and then deems terms that were previously acceptable - even polite - offensive to their contemporary sensitivities? Nobody.

One cannot fail to note that the largest and oldest organization representing the interests of Negroes is called, the "National Organization for the Advancement of Colored People." God forbid any caucasian from using THAT unfortunate expression.

By holding sensitivities like this, the African American community trivializes what it claims to be serious social and political issues. A pox on any Black person who objects to being referred to as a "Negro." There is nothing disparaging or insulting about the term; it's all in your head.
What is or is not disparaging or insulting is up to the person being referred to. Doesn’t seem that difficult to refer to people the way they would like to be referred. Getting all bent out of shape about it because it makes you feel somehow impotent that certain terms may cause offense seems to be a YOU problem.

The problem being is you never know the persons preference.
And if you were to ask that'd be racist.

That’s why it’s better to talk to individuals then to make categorical statements about groups of people.

That’s why it’s better to talk to individuals then to make categorical statements about groups of people.

Then they need to stop referring to barry as the first black president.

WTF is African American supposed to mean anyway? That's two seperate continents.

WTF is African American supposed to mean anyway? That's two seperate continents.

the "african" is being used as an adjective. The "american" is the noun. I am a short girl. The
"short" is the adjective. The "girl" is the noun

the "african" is being used as an adjective. The "american" is the noun. I am a short girl. The
"short" is the adjective. The "girl" is the noun

It sounds like they're saying they're not much of anybody or anything to me.
I'm an American not English-American. I was born here and it doesn't matter much where my ancestors came from or where they lived. Since Fosters came to England with Norman invasion, I suppose you could say I'm a Norman American. My ancestor fought in the battle of Hastings and was William the Conqueror's son in law. Then again the Fosters started out as Balwins in Flanders so where in the hell is that silly kinda shit supposed to stop?
The whole African American concept is just plain stupid.

There are times when it is appropriate to identify a person by his race. "Jackie Robinson was the first Negro to play in the Major Leagues." And if you had referred to him personally as "black," he would have been mightily offended.

And there you have it.
I disagree.

All that does is perpetuate racial bias.

Since my mother mixed race was I could say I'm Black even though I have light skin and hazel green eyes.

I can say I'm White even though I am 25% Black.

I come to a realization quite early in my life that skin color is completely irrelevant.

And there is only one race we should be concerned about.
You can say that but you've lived your life as a white person.

No everyone I knew growing up knew my mother was mixed race. I grew up in a shitty neighborhood that was overwhelmingly Black. After my mother died when I was 14 I wound up in foster care with a Black couple and he used to call me Whitey and the white kids at school would call me ******.

I lived my life as a kid who was too black to be white and too white to be black.

It's how I learned that skin color is completely irrelevant and people will always find some way to judge others.
Racism encompasses much more that that. You got prejudice and that's fucked up too.

Actually I'll bet I'm less prejudiced than you. I never identify anyone by race.

I have never once said" I have a black ( or white) friend named _______" or " I jammed with this really great Black or White musician"

It is unnecessary and irrelevant.

Idgaf what color anyone's skin is unlike you.

Like everything else, language evolves. Fred Astaire starred in 'The Gay Divorcee' but he wasn't gay in today's vernacular. If you tell me your name is Fred and I call you kid or boy or most other, non-complimentary name you'd be offended, right?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back