What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

They do now
The states determine marriage laws. Anything not covered in the Constitution is left to the states. Five lawyers abused the Constitution.
Read the 14th Amendment
I have. Nothing in there about marriage. Tell us what the reason was for the 14th amendment.
Read equal protection under the law
You didn't answer my question. You brought up the 14th amendment as a basis for same-sex marriage. What was the reason for the 14th amendment?
Sorry Skippy

I don’t take homework assignments
If you have a point to make...it’s up to you

The founders never mention what can be provided under General Welfare

They left it up to We the People to decide
Our mission statement says to promote the general welfare not the general warfare. We know what gun lovers on the right wing prefer.
Do you think the second amendment should be repealed?

Let the states decide
Then you believe that the second amendment should be repealed.

Make it a state issue
We don’t need well regulated militias

I suggest you amend the Constitution. The Constitution itself gives how that process occurs.

The states determine marriage laws. Anything not covered in the Constitution is left to the states. Five lawyers abused the Constitution.
Read the 14th Amendment
I have. Nothing in there about marriage. Tell us what the reason was for the 14th amendment.
You didn't answer my question. You brought up the 14th amendment as a basis for same-sex marriage. What was the reason for the 14th amendment?
Sorry Skippy

In others words you can't answer the question and want to push the blame to someone else. Good little leftist.

I agree, the people decide. The problem is when the people decide, then a small faction use other means to get what they want to shove down the throats of the majority. Every state that voted on same-sex marriage voted against it.
You don’t get to vote on what rights other people get to have
Marriage laws are determined by the states. Queers have the same rights everybody else has.
They do now

According to the Constitution, States do.

your money is being Wasted on the general warfare not the general welfare. stop whining.

Our military budget is 46 cents out of every dollar on earth

It comes at a price, less money to spend on education, healthcare, modern infrastructure, public welfare

When things like public welfare, healthcare, and all the other things you lefties think the government should fund get a mention in the Constitution, they can have 46 cent on the dollar spent on them.

I agree, the people decide. The problem is when the people decide, then a small faction use other means to get what they want to shove down the throats of the majority. Every state that voted on same-sex marriage voted against it.
Marriage isn't a right.

Read the 14th Amendment
Sorry Skippy

In others words you can't answer the question and want to push the blame to someone else. Good little leftist.

You are on your own Skippy
Go at it

It comes at a price, less money to spend on education, healthcare, modern infrastructure, public welfare

When things like public welfare, healthcare, and all the other things you lefties think the government should fund get a mention in the Constitution, they can have 46 cent on the dollar spent on them.

Marriage isn't a right.

Equal protection of our laws is

Sorry Skippy

Go at it

I didn't think you could answer a simple question. That's what having the same 85 IQ the average black does for you, boy.

Marriage isn't a right.

Does that mean you support polygamous or incestuous marriages?

When are those of us that have been funding unconstitutional social welfare programs going to get what we've paid for and those getting but not paying going to start footing the bill?

Fine, as long as my contribution is used for common issues, not to be your daddy and pay your way.

The only difference between theft and welfare taxation is that government is the middle man.
your money is being Wasted on the general warfare not the general welfare. stop whining.

Our mission statement says to promote the general welfare not the general warfare. We know what gun lovers on the right wing prefer.

Supporting the 2nd amendment doesn't equal general warfare. Yours is the type of thinking of gun haters. Please buy one. You're stupid enough to shoot yourself and do the rest of us a favor.

Sorry Skippy

Go at it

I didn't think you could answer a simple question. That's what having the same 85 IQ the average black does for you, boy.
Sorry......your racist baiting will not work

Afraid you belong to a society and are obligated to contribute
Fine, as long as my contribution is used for common issues, not to be your daddy and pay your way.

The only difference between theft and welfare taxation is that government is the middle man.

The founders did say things not specifically delegated to the federal government are reserved to the States. In a manner of speaking, they did say what can and can't be done.

Sorry Skippy

Go at it

Sorry......your racist baiting will not work

Just pointing out why you're an idiot.

Marriage isn't a right.

When are those of us that have been funding unconstitutional social welfare programs going to get what we've paid for and those getting but not paying going to start footing the bill?

I have no issues with consensual polygamy. Does no harm to society
Society has shown a detriment from incestuous relationships......something that couldn’t be shown with same sex marriages

The founders did say things not specifically delegated to the federal government are reserved to the States. In a manner of speaking, they did say what can and can't be done.

Unfortunately, no courts agree with your interpretation

Marriage isn't a right.

I have no issues with consensual polygamy. Does no harm to society
Society has shown a detriment from incestuous relationships......something that couldn’t be shown with same sex marriages

I thought you were for equal protection. So much for that lie.

Unfortunately, no courts agree with your interpretation

It's not my interpretation. It's the wording of the Constitution. Glad you agree those judges saying otherwise hate the Constitution.

You guys are mixing powers with rights. The thread was originally about what power "general welfare" gave congress to write laws and tax to "do stuff."

The tenth amendment, at least in theory, reserved some powers for states.

From the 1930s till the 1990s, the SC read the commerce clause the way the Founders with an expansive view wanted.

I don't think the Roberts' Court views it as narrowly as the 19th century Slaughter House cases did. But Roberts did not rely on it to uphold Obamacare, even though regulating 20% of the econ activity in the US might seem regulating commerce.

Let the states decide

Make it a state issue

Let the states decide

Make it a state issue
So you believe that the second amendment should be repealed.

It is no longer needed
We don’t have organized militias
It must be necessary; we still have security problems in our free States.

Marriage isn't a right.

With polygamy, every woman can marry a nice guy.

Forum List

Back