What do you make of Socrates?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
"One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however, much we have suffered from him"

-Socrates

Now compare this to Jesus saying that we should love our enemies and to do good to those who persecute us.

Was Socrates divinely inspired?

Hellenistic philosophy and literature greatly influenced writers of the Bible..

The similarities between Socrates and Jesus are striking.

Neither man wrote a word down. Instead, they relied on others to write about them.

Both had almost mirror thoughts, such as the Golden Rule.

Both men were martyred for the sake of pursing the truth.

Here is another quote that stuck out at me.

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light"
-Socrates.

This sounds like Jesus speaking in the gospels, does it not?

It would seem that both men lost their lives because of their pursuit of the truth.

"A man who really fights for justice must lead a private, not public, life if he is to survive for even a short time"
-Socrates

Is this then true? Should we assume that honest men who pursue the truth and are public figures are destined for martyrdom?

Here is something else Socrates said about the powers that be.

"Money and and honor have no attraction for good men; good men do not wish to be openly demanding of payment for governing and so to get the name of hirelings, nor by secretly helping themselves out of the public revenues to get the name of thieves."

No wonder they killed him

Conversely, Jesus said that his kingdom was not of this world and constantly confronted the religious leaders of his day, but never tried to attain any political office of position of high standing.

Socrates was a very enlightened individual, very much ahead of his time. His third eye was squeegeed somehow. Mushrooms probably.

:cool:

Yet Socrates' student Plato was as self serving as they come in his Republic.

Last edited:
and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however, much we have suffered from him"

-Socrates
How does this jibe with Socrates having been a hoplite?

I wouldn't mind having sources for these purported Socratic quotes.

"One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however, much we have suffered from him"

-Socrates

Now compare this to Jesus saying that we should love our enemies and to do good to those who persecute us.

I use the Socrates method of teaching in my classes and always in my seminars. Extremely effective and a great way to encourage interaction.

-Socrates

many versions of the golden rule around the world through out history

do what you want but harm none

Forum List

Back