🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What happens when a tax cut doesn't cut people's taxes so they'd notice?

I got a great tax cut. Also was just informed we are getting an unplanned bonus next month. Thanks president Trump!
you don't really care who is going to pay for your meager tax cuts do you?? Wait till prices go up and those cuts disappear like farts in the wind

"Meager"? Hmm. There are a lot of people who will get at least 1000 dollars. Which to them is quite a bit. A rich person wouldn't notice it, hence nancy pelosi and her crumbs comment, but to those who are lower middle class that thousand bucks is meaningful. Of course when you're a welfare slug it pisses you off because that is money that you don't get to steal, but to those who are getting it they say "yeah, we need this".

And the Dems fought against those people getting anything.

Not a smart move, nor is your continued railing against it.
Maybe westy
MONEYBOX
Americans Haven’t Noticed Trump’s Tax Cut in Their Paychecks. That’s Probably Because There Isn’t Much to Notice.

By JORDAN WEISSMANN

FEB 21, 20186:32 PM
Donald Trump signing the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Business Must Have Predictable Demand, Prices & Taxes to Hire & Expand. Throwing all this into flux will Stall Growth & Cost Jobs!

I got a great tax cut. Also was just informed we are getting an unplanned bonus next month. Thanks president Trump!
you don't really care who is going to pay for your meager tax cuts do you?? Wait till prices go up and those cuts disappear like farts in the wind

"Meager"? Hmm. There are a lot of people who will get at least 1000 dollars. Which to them is quite a bit. A rich person wouldn't notice it, hence nancy pelosi and her crumbs comment, but to those who are lower middle class that thousand bucks is meaningful. Of course when you're a welfare slug it pisses you off because that is money that you don't get to steal, but to those who are getting it they say "yeah, we need this".

BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/Getty Images

When Republicans passed their $1.5 trillion tax cut in December, very few Americans expected to personally benefit from the legislation. Depending on the poll, somewhere between one-sixth and one-third of adults anticipated that their own tax bill was about to go down. In reality, far more households probably stood to benefit. The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, for instance, estimated that about 80 percent of Americans would get a cut.

Why were so many people confused about what the tax cut meant for them individually? There were lots of theories. Maybe it was the press coverage, which tended to highlight the potential losers from the legislation, and how it would disproportionately benefit the rich. Maybe it was a bad sales job by Republicans, who made the mistake of rolling out early drafts of the bill that would have hiked taxes on more middle-class families than the final version. Maybe the public is just instinctively skeptical about large pieces of legislation rushed through Congress without much debate.

You do realize that this isn't good for your cause...right? The report you cite tells me that there are a whole bunch of people who are going to get a surprise tax break. The majority thought they wouldn't see anything, but, according to the report you cite, the reality is the MAJORITY of Americans will benefit. So, yes, the repubs certainly didn't make that plain, so are thus not able to claim credit for it, but the reality is it is happening, and the benefits to a huge number of Americans is real, and now well documented.

This isn't going to help the dems very much. You do realize that do you not?

When Republicans passed their $1.5 trillion tax cut in December, very few Americans expected to personally benefit from the legislation. Depending on the poll, somewhere between one-sixth and one-third of adults anticipated that their own tax bill was about to go down. In reality, far more households probably stood to benefit. The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, for instance, estimated that about 80 percent of Americans would get a cut.

Why were so many people confused about what the tax cut meant for them individually? There were lots of theories. Maybe it was the press coverage, which tended to highlight the potential losers from the legislation, and how it would disproportionately benefit the rich. Maybe it was a bad sales job by Republicans, who made the mistake of rolling out early drafts of the bill that would have hiked taxes on more middle-class families than the final version. Maybe the public is just instinctively skeptical about large pieces of legislation rushed through Congress without much debate.

You do realize that this isn't good for your cause...right? The report you cite tells me that there are a whole bunch of people who are going to get a surprise tax break. The majority thought they wouldn't see anything, but, according to the report you cite, the reality is the MAJORITY of Americans will benefit. So, yes, the repubs certainly didn't make that plain, so are thus not able to claim credit for it, but the reality is it is happening, and the benefits to a huge number of Americans is real, and now well documented.

when those cuts start disappearing in 2019 2020 then what?

They will have still received thousands of dollars that they wouldn't had the Dems had their way. Further when the tax cuts come up for renewal if the Dems decide to fight those renewals, you will see mass Democrat Party losses in the following elections.

I know exactly what your point was cry baby, the fact is you don't know what your saving will be till you file your taxes next year. It will only save me about 200 per year, you don't see me crying about it. I'll happily smile at my good fortune.

Bullshit. The taxes they take out of my paycheck was immediate. And it was only $27 less. So fuck you, dickboy!

They will have still received thousands of dollars that they wouldn't had the Dems had their way. Further when the tax cuts come up for renewal if the Dems decide to fight those renewals, you will see mass Democrat Party losses in the following elections.
in a few months we'll see how much those cuts mean in the election where I expect Repubs to lose at least the house and maybe the senate

in a few months we'll see how much those cuts mean in the election where I expect Repubs to lose at least the house and maybe the senate

Well, it's a no brainer that the Party who controls the Executive branch loses a shitload of Seats in the following election. The only question is how many will the repubs lose.

I know exactly what your point was cry baby, the fact is you don't know what your saving will be till you file your taxes next year. It will only save me about 200 per year, you don't see me crying about it. I'll happily smile at my good fortune.

Bullshit. The taxes they take out of my paycheck was immediate. And it was only $27 less. So fuck you, dickboy!

And then, when you do your taxes at the end of the year you get a refund. Don't forget that little inconvenient fact billy boy.

Is that per week, every two weeks? If it's per week, that 1,404 more dollars in your pocket per year. That would pay my annual cell phone bill with 600 and change left over.

The problem is that they are spending even more money than they were before! Lol.

Conservatives are looking mighty hypocritical these days.

Well, it's a no brainer that the Party who controls the Executive branch loses a shitload of Seats in the following election. The only question is how many will the repubs lose.
but why? Tax cuts and the way repubs idolize that garbage you'd think everything was set for a great republican victory regardless what history showed

The problem is that they are spending even more money than they were before! Lol.

Conservatives are looking mighty hypocritical these days.
The borrow & spend repubtards do that every time they get power. It's best to never vote for one to avoid Job Killing recessions, depressions & deficits!

but why? Tax cuts and the way repubs idolize that garbage you'd think everything was set for a great republican victory regardless what history showed

Because the PEOPLE have always held a massive distrust of the Executive, and rightly so. Thus, whichever party holds the Executive, the PEOPLE want there to be a challenge to that authority. It's one of the things that has made this country as good as it is. No Party has ever been able to run roughshod over the PEOPLE.

Because the PEOPLE have always held a massive distrust of the Executive, and rightly so. Thus, whichever party holds the Executive, the PEOPLE want there to be a challenge to that authority. It's one of the things that has made this country as good as it is. No Party has ever been able to run roughshod over the PEOPLE.
I 'd have to disagree with that Westy,,,Think 45-55% of the people think they're getting a raw deal with every president

I 'd have to disagree with that Westy,,,Think 45-55% of the people think they're getting a raw deal with every president

Ummmm, that's why they vote the other Party into Congress.... To control that President.

We must keep in mind that, thanks to the Bush tax cuts, we have about 40-45% of taxpayers who have no federal tax liability. They either do not pay any federal income taxes, or they get back what they pay, or they get back more than they pay (because of the Earned Income Tax Credit). So how do you "cut" someone's taxes when they already have no federal income tax liability after all is said and done?

When you don't earn enough to pay taxes that is what happens.

Gotcha, half the country is in poverty and can't pay taxes. Ssssuuurrreeeee they are ...

No, half the country doesn't make enough money to pay taxes.

Sorry, how is that different again? You're saying half the country is in poverty? Wow, you're a fucking imbecile. You think half the richest country in the history of man is in poverty. You're a mind swilling leftist elitist

No, I'm saying that working class Americans are woefully underpaid and make so little they don't pay income tax.

We must keep in mind that, thanks to the Bush tax cuts, we have about 40-45% of taxpayers who have no federal tax liability. They either do not pay any federal income taxes, or they get back what they pay, or they get back more than they pay (because of the Earned Income Tax Credit). So how do you "cut" someone's taxes when they already have no federal income tax liability after all is said and done?

When you don't earn enough to pay taxes that is what happens.

Gotcha, half the country is in poverty and can't pay taxes. Ssssuuurrreeeee they are ...

No, half the country doesn't make enough money to pay taxes.

Sorry, how is that different again? You're saying half the country is in poverty? Wow, you're a fucking imbecile. You think half the richest country in the history of man is in poverty. You're a mind swilling leftist elitist

No, I'm saying that working class Americans are woefully underpaid and make so little they don't pay income tax.

And progressive policies ENCOURAGE that to happen.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
But whining about the lower tax rates being the cause while they still borrowed at the same rate with the higher rates is retarded

Don;t be an idiot.....Realize that the usual borrowing has just DOUBLED because of the tax scam. Surely a grown up can explain it to you.
About as stupid as the Repubs who say you hate your country and veterans if you want to cut military spending.

Well, when you want to cut defense spending down to dangerously low levels, so low that equipment and vital weapons systems cannot be properly maintained, yeah, some people wonder about your motives.

FYI; If you are making less than $23.50/hr, you are underpaid.

Which is why we have less revenue to pay our bills.

Also, giving a tax break to corporations who pay 3%+/- of their revenue in all taxes was a VERY STUPID idea.

Sigh. . . . The only corporations that would end up paying so little in taxes would be those that had suffered huge losses in some of their major operations or that dealt heavily in real estate (where there are large tax breaks in recognition of the risk and capital involved).

Lowering the corporate income tax rate and setting up a special repatriation tax rate were brilliant moves that are luring hundreds of billions of American dollars parked overseas to come back to the U.S.

Business gets to fully deduct the cost of doing business thus reducing their tax liability.

The vast majority of the repatriated monies will never see the light of day, ie; the economy.

You imagine these people are going to stick that money under their mattresses? People with money only hold their money close when there are no opportunities to put that money to work in an acceptable risk/reward enterprise.

If Trump really cared about ALL Americans, he would have put a caveat on repatriation in that 100% of the funds go to hiring and raises for existing employees, so 100% would go into the economy offsetting any losses from corporate tax cuts.

Forum List

Back