What has an illegal immigrant done to deprive you of something?

For me the answer is "not a damn thing." D.C. has a ton of immigrants from all over the world. So do the other places where I spend a fair amount of time. I've not lost a job to an illegal immigrant. None of them have come traipsing through the neighborhood. No lost benefits, no longer lines anywhere, and I don't see that my taxes have gone up so as I'd notice because of them.

Broke my country's laws?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but an "illegal" is actually someone who has been convicted of a crime in a court of law. Until then, he is "undocumented".
You have your terms confused.

When you do something against the law, you are doing something that is illegal. If you have no legal right to be in this country, you are here illegally.

Being convicted of being here illegally means you are a convict.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been willing to exploit the brown man?

Nope, DW. Wrong again. nobody is an "illegal" until convicted of a crime in a court of law. That is basicly jr. high school Civics info. Did you sleep through the 8th grade?

Oh brother... they are here illegally.. therefore illegal.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but an "illegal" is actually someone who has been convicted of a crime in a court of law. Until then, he is "undocumented".

When you do something against the law, you are doing something that is illegal. If you have no legal right to be in this country, you are here illegally.

Nope, DW. Wrong again. nobody is an "illegal" until convicted of a crime in a court of law. That is basicly high school Civics info. Did you sleep through the 8th grade?
Sorry, but you don't get to define terms.

il·le·gal
i(l)ˈlēɡəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.

Notice it says nothing about conviction.

Have a nice day.

For me the answer is "not a damn thing." D.C. has a ton of immigrants from all over the world. So do the other places where I spend a fair amount of time. I've not lost a job to an illegal immigrant. None of them have come traipsing through the neighborhood. No lost benefits, no longer lines anywhere, and I don't see that my taxes have gone up so as I'd notice because of them.

Broke my country's laws?

Yep. A misdemeanor, which is equivalent to a traffic violation. Line them up against the wall and shoot them.

Well if you don't pay any Federal, state, local property taxes (but if you rent you are by the way) then "illegals" don't cost you anything.
But here is what "illegal immigrants" cost the USA in total..
Households led by undocumented immigrants received about $85 billion a year in benefits in 2010, according to the report.
The Fiscal Cost of Unlawful Immigrants and Amnesty to the U.S. Taxpayer | The Heritage Foundation

View attachment 113052

Means tested welfare and Education benefits are for the benefit of

AMERICAN CITIZEN CHILDREN

It cannot be considered spending on "illegal immigrants". The Heritage Foundation is misleading. Real shocker.

You are correct re: the eligibility characterization you note. In fairness, the HF does at times point out the same thing. They may be selective about when they do so. I don't know. I don't read everything the HF publishes.

In the one report in which I've seen the HF point out illegal immigrants' ineligibility for means tested benefits, they did so in the middle of the article and at the start of the same article do not imply the same thing. (That article is the only HF one about immigrants/immigration that immediately comes to mind.)

I recognize the impact of that for in my short time on USMB, it's become clear to me that many members don't read all of the content at the links they provide. Too, I suspect the term "voracious reader" doesn't aptly describe even more members. Consequently, "scanners" could easily come by a document like the HF report I mentioned, read only the first few lines and inaccurately infer that means tested benefits are given to illegal immigrants.

Nope, DW. Wrong again. nobody is an "illegal" until convicted of a crime in a court of law. That is basicly high school Civics info. Did you sleep through the 8th grade?

il·le·gal
i(l)ˈlēɡəl/
adjective
  1. 1.

Have a nice day.

Dark, I strongly suggest that you do not give up your day job to practice law.

A few years back, I was in a DC suburb and went to a Burger King for lunch. Not a single employee spoke English. They did not speak the first word of English! So, I used what little Spanish I know to place my order.

I felt like I was back overseas instead of a block from my son's apartment.

TYVM for your reply. Yours is the first post in the thread (the first I've read) that directly answers exactly the question I asked. I appreciate your having the decency to simply and directly answer the question.
Start on page 1 (or hit your "read ignored content"). Several posters have told you how illegal immigrants have directly affected their / their families' lives. I think it's hard for most posters to know who is legal or illegal just meeting them on the street. Even the Admiral doesn't know if the workers at that Burger King were illegal. They all could have had green cards, for all he knows. Unlike naturalization, one is not required to speak English to get a green card.

Having said all that, in answer to your question, I have no idea if ILLEGAL immigrants are the ones who flood the laundromat on Sundays during blueberry harvest and wreathing seasons. I need to switch to Saturdays during those times. They are all speaking either Spanish or Haitian and are here doing migrant work, but whether they're illegal, I have no idea. The first and not bad Mexican restaurant around here got shut down several years ago when it was determined the owners were bringing in illegals and finding them work. They went to prison. I missed the flan, for sure.

I think I maybe understand the thinking behind your OP--that too many people are making a ruckus about illegal immigrants without really having any evidence that they are harming us. We are being fed harmful "hate" propaganda. But I see the point of the arguments here that point out the affect of flooded labor markets and the high costs of medical care for the insured, particularly when those people number in the many millions. If folks are here working, I agree they should be paying their share in taxes (including DJTrump). That is as much the responsibility of employers as it is the immigrants themselves, and I'm waiting....waiting....waiting....for that to be the focus of our administration's focus.

If they are here WORKING, and do not speak the first word of English, that is a pretty good indication that they came across the border in the past few months sewn inside a car seat. They definitely were not on a tourist visa.

This whole speak English meme is bullshit. I know for a fact that neither schools, nor church services, conducted services in English until fifty or so years AFTER the American Revolution in this area. Before that those services were conducted in German. In fact, some schools in North Carolina were still conducting classes in German after the Civil War. The local hero that founded the city in this area never ever spoke English. He spoke German and Cherokee.

Besides, your kids best get used to broken English and strong foreign accents if they plan on attaining a college degree in a STEM field.

I was born in an ethnic community back in the 60's. Yes, in our little community, people spoke Polish. The vendors spoke Polish, the masses were in Polish, some store signs were written in Polish. But outside our community, nobody expected the rest of the country to cater to us. Outside our community, you spoke and read English only.
Noodle kugel? The best.

il·le·gal
i(l)ˈlēɡəl/
adjective
  1. 1.

Have a nice day.

Dark, I strongly suggest that you do not give up your day job to practice law.
I just owned you. I suggest you go find that outdoor plumbing shack in the Imperial Valley and get to picking. It's about your level of skill.

Well if you don't pay any Federal, state, local property taxes (but if you rent you are by the way) then "illegals" don't cost you anything.
Households led by undocumented immigrants received about $85 billion a year in benefits in 2010, according to the report.
The Fiscal Cost of Unlawful Immigrants and Amnesty to the U.S. Taxpayer | The Heritage Foundation

View attachment 113052

The Heritage Foundation is not a reliable source for these numbers. Or any others for that matter.

il·le·gal
i(l)ˈlēɡəl/
adjective
  1. 1.

Have a nice day.

Hard to believe just how lost some of these people really are. The hair splitting semantics played by Liberal loonies is sometimes exhausting to read through. WOW...the shit these people will come up with!

View attachment 113052

The Heritage Foundation is not a reliable source for these numbers. Or any others for that matter.
Where is your proof of that statement? Your opinion means NOTHING. Give me facts. That's how decisions are made based on facts by most rational people!

For me the answer is "not a damn thing."

well then you are not paying attention

taking jobs that American citizens could have is just 1 aspect

EVERY TIME an illegal receives benefits, whether they are medical, welfare related or ANY social service - they are stealing from ME - because those services are provided with MY tax dollars

we are in tremendous debt, we cannot sustain it forever & we can really not take care of all of our own people

America 1st

I have lost money to them.

DW, That whole thing about, "...innocent, until proven guilty" is pretty much over your head, isn't it?
That applies to courtrooms with a formal accusation. It has nothing to do with legal definitions.

Now, you'll excuse Me, but I have no intention of playing the back and forth as you continue to come up with more and more idiotic examples and definitions simply because you are lonely and need more attention.

Goodbye.

Broke my country's laws?

Yep. A misdemeanor, which is equivalent to a traffic violation. Line them up against the wall and shoot them.

That's a bit much....

The Feb 2011 report "The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on US Taxpayers" from the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a non-profit group that advocates limiting both legal and illegal immigration, "estimates the annual costs of illegal immigration at the federal, state and local level to be about $113 billion;
nearly $29 billion at the federal level and
$84 billion at the state and local level. T
he study also estimates tax collections from illegal alien workers, both those in the above-ground economy and those in the underground economy. Those receipts [apx $13 billion] do not come close to the level of expenditures..."
Economic impact of illegal immigrants in the United States - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back