Zone1 What is a person?

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
What makes a person different from any other animal/mammal?

What is your purpose?
Why do you suppose you are here?

We are no different from other animals, just more so. We are more self-aware, better tool users, and culture is more important to us.

To pass on my genes and values. Mission accomplished!
so we are no different than other animals except for all the things we can do that they cant do,,

thats fucking brilliant,,

best you not try and pass on anything,,

Persons on this earth have spirits that are the literal offspring of God the Father. Animals, though I believe they have spirits, are not the offspring of God. Our spirits, as the spirit children of God, still have an eternal component that they were created from which is their intelligence. Intelligences of all things were not created or made an neither indeed can be. They are self-existent. Because of the self-existent nature of our intelligences, God could not create us to be perfect. We could only be created to be what we are to the extent that our intelligences have progressed to become through eternity past. God, knowing that our intelligences are subject to progression saw fit to help us to progress to become more like Himself. The only caveat would be that a person would need to choose to be a good being of his own free will and choice. God would provide a means of gaining knowledge and wisdom and goodness by experiencing good and evil but one would have to choose to abide by these principals of his/her own free will and choice to truly be a good being in and of oneself. Only in this way could they progress to become a truly good being. So God created a temporary world where man could come to and experience a fallen nature and come to know and understand first hand the difference between good and evil and decide for themselves what manner of being they would become. God knowing that mankind in their weakness would need a means of repentance and forgiveness as they struggle with good and evil. Thus God called a member of the Godhead who did not have an immortal resurrected body of flesh and bones yet to be the redeemer of the world to give mankind the chance to overcome his weaknesses and progress into one who understands the evils of bad choices and the goodness and joy of choosing the right. God called Jesus to become the Savior of the world before the foundation of this world. Through Him mankind would have the opportunity, if they made mistakes, to overcome those mistakes and find forgiveness and love from the Almighty.

Mankind has the potential to become perfect, even as our Father in Heaven is perfect. We have the potential to become one with God even as our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is one with God the Father. It is really up to us to choose to become such. It is critical that we learn to choose good over evil of our own free will and choice to truly become good beings. If we were forced to be good beings, we would always need to be forced and would not be good beings in and of ourselves. God is a being of free will. He does all that he does of his own free will and choice. For us to be like him, we too must learn to be good beings of our own free will and choice. Thus we are given the opportunity to come to a fallen world to experience good and evil and are allowed to choose in and of ourselves to do good or evil. At times we will make mistakes because of our less than perfect nature but we can progress and become strong and best of all we can repent and be forgiven and put behind us our short comings and overcome. Mortality is a temporary learning ground for us to make choices of what manner of mankind we will become. Eventually this earth will no longer be a fallen world and will become a celestial world of glory. Those who learn to choose good over evil will eventually inherit the earth in its celestial glory. All mankind will eventually obtain an immortal resurrected body that will never suffer the frailties of a mortal body again. But we will all stand before the judgement seat of the Great Jehovah and be judged for the choices we made in this world. The vast majority of all mankind will resurrect to kingdoms of glory. The highest kingdom of glory is celestial but there will be those who are resurrected to terrestrial and telestial glories. Unfortunately there will be those who choose extreme wickedness in this world and they will be consigned to what is known as outer darkness. This is the lake of fire and brimstone mentioned in the Bible. This is where Lucifer, aka Satan or Perdition and all who sided with him in the war in heaven will reside. All who go to outer darkness are they who became sons of Perdition.

It was important that in order or us to make our own free will choices, that a veil be placed over our foreknowledge of our premortal existence in the presence of God. This way we would have to learn to walk by faith and learn to choose good over evil without the influence of our premortal existence. We would not be influenced by our knowledge of God and our valiance in the war in heaven. We would have to choose based on what learn and know only here on this earth. We would thus need to walk by faith and learn to choose good based on our experience of good and evil here on this earth without any other influence. We could learn of our premortal existence and of God and his Word but we would have to take it on faith. We would have to learn to follow goodness for goodness sake. When we all stand before the judgment bar of God, we will all regain a bright recollection of our eternal existence. We will all have the opportunity to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ whether in this world or as the spirits of the dead. For this reason was the gospel also preached to those who are dead (see 1 Peter 4:6). So may we all come to the faith and make good choices in our lives here on earth and in the world of the spirits of the dead. We all get to choose what manner of mankind we will be.

We are no different from other animals, just more so. We are more self-aware, better tool users, and culture is more important to us.
Do any animals use us? Form herds of humans, for example, or make us plow a field? We often take care of animals. Do they take care of us? On the other hand, do we make use of animals?

Persons on this earth have spirits that are the literal offspring of God the Father.
Disagree. Humans are the creation of God, just as are all other animals and things on this earth. Where it appears we differ from the other animals is after God created Adam, he breathed his spirit into him. We are God's creation, which differs from offspring. Mankind is the offspring of Adam and Eve, his creation.

Jesus, on the other hand is begotten of God, that is the same spirit, the same substance. Ours is not the same spirit of God, we each have separate, independent spirits, and we are not the same substance. God created mankind to have both flesh and spirit. In the same way angels are spirit, but will never be God, mankind is flesh and spirit--and will never be God.

Communists do. And Commies aren't people...
Communists are humans--humans who use other humans. Humans were not created to use other humans, but to give to others. We are not the creation of communist, we are the creation of God, and only meant for God's purposes, not for the purposes of other men.

Communists are humans--humans who use other humans. Humans were not created to use other humans, but to give to others. We are not the creation of communist, we are the creation of God, and only meant for God's purposes, not for the purposes of other men.
Negative. They're animals. As such they can be dispatched without guilt, and with impunity...

What is your purpose?
I think we have many purposes but chief among them is to use our talents to know and create and to pass it on.

I think we are here to share in God's experience. Not for His benefit but for our benefit.

I think we have many purposes but chief among them is to use our talents to know and create and to pass it on.

I think we are here to share in God's experience. Not for His benefit but for our benefit.
I wonder sometimes.

Maybe God chose to create a life form that might someday achieve the distinction of being on the same plane as God. Divine companionship?

Clearly, we have a long long way to go.

I wonder sometimes.

Maybe God chose to create a life form that might someday achieve the distinction of being on the same plane as God. Divine companionship?

Clearly, we have a long long way to go.
I always go back to the solution of the first cause conundrum and its logical conclusion. If the First Cause is eternal it must be unchanging. If it is unchanging then it must be lacking nothing and needs nothing.

God can be known through the light of human reason. God's invisible attributes can be known by studying what God created.

Do any animals use us? Form herds of humans, for example, or make us plow a field? We often take care of animals. Do they take care of us? On the other hand, do we make use of animals?
I don't know how great those criteria are. Animals eat us. Viruses can change our behavior. Dogs can care about their owners.

What is your purpose?
Human kind is the only animal we know of who is aware of other species that it has never experienced or seen.

We are the only animal we know of who is capable of caring about other species or individual we have never experienced or seen.

We are the only animal we know of capable of intentionally altering our environment for our pleasure as well as for our benefit.

As nearly as I can tell, my purpose here is to understand what God expects of me and do it.

Why God chose me to be here I don't have a clue. (But it's on my list of questions I hope to take to heaven with me. :) )

Forum List

Back