What is an "assault rifle"?

That's because they aren't full auto. AR's are semi auto.
Totally incorrect. The original ArmaLite AR-15 was selective-fire (semi/burst/full auto). The M16 was semi/full auto, and the the current variants such as the AR15A4 are semi-auto only, but ALL variants have their roots in the AR15 family.

An assault weapon..or in fact most semi auto weapons can fire as fast as you can twitch your finger.
How fast is that?
Try it. It's pretty friggin fast. It makes nearly any semi auto weapon the near equivalent of a machine gun...which is a banned or heavily regulated weapon
I love it when people who know noting about guns try to talk about guns.
An M16 will empty a 30 round magazine in ~3 seconds.
Try that with an AR15. Let me know how close you get.

That's because they aren't full auto. AR's are semi auto.
Totally incorrect. The original ArmaLite AR-15 was selective-fire (semi/burst/full auto). The M16 was semi/full auto, and the the current variants such as the AR15A4 are semi-auto only, but ALL variants have their roots in the AR15 family.

That is not really correct.
There was an Armalite-15 that was selective fire, but Armalite went out of business before they could make any version for the civilian market. So then the Civilian AR-15 really has no history or being anything but semi auto, and was not made by Armalite. It just borrowed the designs because the patents had expired.
{...
Read more: AR 15 Rifle - A Brief History & Historical Time Line
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

ArmaLite is sold to a Philippine company, Elisco Tool Manufacturing Company.

ArmaLite operations in the US are ended by Elisco Too Manufacturing Company.

Colt loses the government contract to supply M-16 rifles to the military.

Jim Glazier and Karl Lewis of Lewis Machine and Tool Company (LMT), operating a new entity called Eagle Arms, begin producing complete AR-15 rifles for the consumer market. By this time, many of the earlier AR 15 Rifle related patents had expired, thereby opening up the market for complete AR-15 type rifles.
...}

The first assault weapons were the Revolutionary War blunderbuss.
During the Civil War, dual revolvers were used as assault weapons by cavalry.
In WWI, it was the pump shotgun that was the assault weapons of the trenches.
In WWII, the M-1 carbine was one of the main assault weapons.

So it should be clear the only real factors of an assault weapon is that since it is close range, they tend to be light, small, and low powered.
Those are NOT characteristics that should cause a firearm to be banned, because then almost all firearms could then be banned.
The only ones that would not likely be banned would be very large caliber, like the Barrett M99, and they already banned that in California.

While it is conceivable that a small portion of the anti-gunners are sincere in their desire to stop shootings, even these clearly have no firearms knowledge at all.

I think the majority are just plain scared of guns, mainly for two reasons:
  1. They think guns have far more abilities than they actually have, i.e. just sweep a vast room once with a Tommy gun and everyone falls down dead. That's simply not true.
  2. They know that they are not trustworthy to handle firearms, and ignorantly project this on everyone.
If this sounds bigoted, too bad. I've not seen a single anti-gun type who has even a passing knowledge of firearms and their capabilities/shortcomings. To a man, they all display utter ignorance on the very topic to which they claim expertise.

It's absolutely comical - and very sad.

While it is conceivable that a small portion of the anti-gunners are sincere in their desire to stop shootings, even these clearly have no firearms knowledge at all.

1. They think guns have far more abilities than they actually have, i.e. just sweep a vast room once with a Tommy gun and everyone falls down dead. That's simply not true.
  2. They know that they are not trustworthy to handle firearms, and ignorantly project this on everyone.
If this sounds bigoted, too bad. I've not seen a single anti-gun type who has even a passing knowledge of firearms and their capabilities/shortcomings. To a man, they all display utter ignorance on the very topic to which they claim expertise.

Complete and utter horseshit.

I have been a gun user since I was 10 years old. Have owned many and currently own four. Not to mention my time in the military.

And to all you morons who think a full-auto weapon is the equivalent of a fire hose, you're simply wrong. More rounds does NOT equal more hits, and AR rifles are virtually NEVER used on full auto in actual combat.
Not they are mostly used in 3 round bursts which civilian AR rifles are not able to do

Is this fast enough? "Only" about 300 rounds per minute, but no real difference from full auto in effectiveness.

Machine guns shoot as slow as 300 rounds a minute and ARs can be shot that fast. There is little difference between the two

No one can keep up a 300 round per minute rate of fire for very long with a semiauto.

I have been a gun user since I was 10 years old. Have owned many and currently own four. Not to mention my time in the military.
You fucking liar.

You have demonstrated that you don't even know what the dangerous end it.

:laughing0301:

Maybe your son's suicide makes you one who is not qualified to discuss the topic.

And you clearly know little to nothing about guns. Thank you for making his point for him.

Not my problem

A firing rate and magazine capacity requirement can be established. Anything above is labeled an “assault weapon”

Up to gun manufacturers to figure out how to comply
Who gave you the authority to impose that rule on anyone?
The OP asked to define an assault weapon

I did
So, you really want a complete ban and confiscation of all firearms manufactured after 1830?

That is exactly what we thought.

Thank you for confirming.

No
I want to keep America safe
You're proposal would do exactly the opposite. Who is going to defend us from Antifa and BLM thugs? Obviously, not the government.
Who is going to defend you when a kid wanders onto your lawn?

OK....lets compromise

3 shots every 2 seconds
That’s 15 shots in ten seconds
Why would anyone need more?

What's wrong with one round per trigger pull?

Opens up too much ambiguity

The OP and other gun enthusiasts mockingly say you can’t define an Assault Weapon
I’m saying limit magazine capacity and firing rate and you have a definition
No it doesn't

Almost every firearm in existence today fires one round per trigger pull

WHat you are trying to do is label every single firearm as an "assault" weapon

The actual definition has been given

And assault rifle is a military weapon with the capability of burst and or fully automatic fire
So you want to negotiate on firing rate?

An AR-15 fires three rounds per second
What rate do you want as a threshold for Assault Weapon?
No, he doesn't want to negotiate on firing rate. Once you make that concession, where does it end? You got it, single shot rifles and pistols.
Nope, it ends with a reasonable firing rate that restricts your ability to massacre small children

The OP mockingly claims......You are unable to define an assault weapon

I am merely providing an enforceable definition
One round per second

Rate of fire is definable and enforceable
And eliminates all guns have xcept muskets.

Like I said, keep showing why compromises will never happen.
OK....lets compromise

3 shots every 2 seconds
That’s 15 shots in ten seconds
Why would anyone need more?

What's wrong with one round per trigger pull?

Opens up too much ambiguity

The OP and other gun enthusiasts mockingly say you can’t define an Assault Weapon
I’m saying limit magazine capacity and firing rate and you have a definition
I'm saying you are full of shit. There's nothing ambiguous about firing one round for every pull of the trigger. You just want to expand the definition to include a lot of weapons that were previously protected. manufacturing a mechanism that limits the firing rate to so a specific number of rounds per second is not a trivial task. It would make weapons vastly more complicated, unreliable and expensive.

Go fuck yourself.
There is a lot of leeway in what constitutes a trigger pull
Is it a full pull where you have to retract and fully engage your trigger or just a quiver where the trigger will engage

What can’t be fudged is your firing rate and how large your magazine is

Forum List

Back