🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Is The Biggest Drawback Of Atheism?

The biggest drawback to being an atheist in my opinion is the most obvious answer which is never having the opportunity to know God. To not have Jesus in your heart. There's so much joy and love and learning that He teaches us and gives us. It's more than a drawback in my opinion, it's an emptiness that I don't know or understand how someone could handle having.
Some people don’t need it

It is just a case of hearing all the claims of a god and just not believing they are true

Are you empty because you do not believe in astrology?
Yes, and those people aren’t here validating their non-belief by criticizing the beliefs of others.

No, it is the case of rejecting every single shred of evidence. It isn’t statistically possible that every single claim has no value in the argument.

Even expert witnesses who oppose other expert witnesses concede some points.
That is the point
I have not seen a single piece of credible evidence of a creator, let alone a God who watches over us

Claiming things on earth are pretty, so that means a God must have made them is not evidence

I'm just wondering, what kind of evidence are you looking for or want kind of evidence are you hoping to find?

OK
Creation assumes a being intentionally created all facets of matter and life in one stroke.
There is countless evidence that things were created sequentially, the earth changed, life became more complex

If God is creating everything. Where has he been? Why are there no new creations?

If God monitors everything, where is he?
Why is he hiding? If he revealed himself to Moses, why nobody else in six thousand years?

God sitting down and having a beer with me is evidence of his existence. Without any evidence I will remain skeptical

The biggest drawback to being an atheist in my opinion is the most obvious answer which is never having the opportunity to know God. To not have Jesus in your heart. There's so much joy and love and learning that He teaches us and gives us. It's more than a drawback in my opinion, it's an emptiness that I don't know or understand how someone could handle having.

It is just a case of hearing all the claims of a god and just not believing they are true

Yes, and those people aren’t here validating their non-belief by criticizing the beliefs of others.

No, it is the case of rejecting every single shred of evidence. It isn’t statistically possible that every single claim has no value in the argument.

That is the point
I have not seen a single piece of credible evidence of a creator, let alone a God who watches over us

Claiming things on earth are pretty, so that means a God must have made them is not evidence

I'm just wondering, what kind of evidence are you looking for or want kind of evidence are you hoping to find?

OK
Creation assumes a being intentionally created all facets of matter and life in one stroke.
There is countless evidence that things were created sequentially, the earth changed, life became more complex

If God is creating everything. Where has he been? Why are there no new creations?

Why is he hiding? If he revealed himself to Moses, why nobody else in six thousand years?

God sitting down and having a beer with me is evidence of his existence. Without any evidence I will remain skeptical

All of your questions are valid and interesting but they also can have endless hypothetical guesses that can be made by countless different people of different beliefs and not one of them will know what is the right answer. The Bible says "for we live by faith, not by sight." For me, I know that I can never fully understand why God does or doesn't do things both in the past or present, but I'm also not supposed to know all, and i'm perfectly ok with that fact. Faith isn't about putting your faith in the wisdom of men, but in God.

That is the point

OK

Yanno that begs the question --- WWJD, What Would Jesus Drink?

hebrew-the-chosen-beers.jpeg

(the bottle reads, "It's the one you've been waiting for!"

That is the point

OK

All of your questions are valid and interesting but they also can have endless hypothetical guesses that can be made by countless different people of different beliefs and not one of them will know what is the right answer. The Bible says "for we live by faith, not by sight." For me, I know that I can never fully understand why God does or doesn't do things both in the past or present, but I'm also not supposed to know all, and i'm perfectly ok with that fact. Faith isn't about putting your faith in the wisdom of men, but in God.
I have no problem with that
If you have faith in God, good for you
If it fills a void in your life....that is great

Personally, I went to church every week. I reached a point at a relatively young age that I realized it did not seem true to me. I could fake like I believe and say all the right words.....but it is just not there

#902 is confusing world events with god. Bioculturally, this is a very old confusion that stems from hominid groups guessing about the unexplained phenomena of Nature. Was it simply the rustling of leaves in the wind or was it a tiger? The ones who were more sensitive to the unexplained, formed survival coalitions. This is the pivot of religion vs. science: "In Science We Trust." Today's more intelligent Homo sapiens will choose to relinquish the semantics of god as a conscious entity and replace the signifier "god" with the signifer "Nature," which also deals with consciousness, though not an all-seeing, all-knowing infinite consciousness, which is an impossible consciousness, and is why faith is being replaced by knowledge.

Messiah Bold: "Ask Your Doctor If It's Right For You."

#902 is confusing world events with god. Bioculturally, this is a very old confusion that stems from hominid groups guessing about the unexplained phenomena of Nature. Was it simply the rustling of leaves in the wind or was it a tiger? The ones who were more sensitive to the unexplained, formed survival coalitions. This is the pivot of religion vs. science: "In Science We Trust." Today's more intelligent Homo sapiens will choose to relinquish the semantics of god as a conscious entity and replace the signifier "god" with the signifer "Nature," which also deals with consciousness, though not an all-seeing, all-knowing infinite consciousness, which is an impossible consciousness, and is why faith is being replaced by knowledge.

Messiah Bold: "Ask Your Doctor If It's Right For You."

The interesting aspect about your opinion above versus what I mentioned above is that both, no matter how confident you may sound, even your opinion above is not truly totally knowable. You can make educated assumptions, as you did above, about the intent or thoughts of people you have never met or know, but even your explanation above requires a level of faith on your part. Filling in the gaps as needed to help justify your hypothesis, is just as you described the hominids of the past above doing, a guess. I have no issues or reluctance around science and I respect your opinion, but you can have a respect for science AND faith in God. The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact, having faith that in God all things are possible also means that nature is potentially one of those things, as well as knowledge. It's an interesting topic of conversation in my opinion.

That is the point

All of creation is your evidence. What the fuck are you talking about. Do you not even logic?

But putting that aside you are literally proving my point that there is no evidence you will even consider. Again, a statistical impossibility.

That is the point

OK

Personally, I went to church every week. I reached a point at a relatively young age that I realized it did not seem true to me. I could fake like I believe and say all the right words.....but it is just not there
And yet here you are discussing it.

The interesting aspect about your opinion above versus what I mentioned above is that both, no matter how confident you may sound, even your opinion above is not truly totally knowable. You can make educated assumptions, as you did above, about the intent or thoughts of people you have never met or know, but even your explanation above requires a level of faith on your part. Filling in the gaps as needed to help justify your hypothesis, is just as you described the hominids of the past above doing, a guess. [/b]I have no issues or reluctance around science and I respect your opinion, but you can have a respect for science AND faith in God.[/b] The two are not mutually exclusive.
It depends how literal you are.
You cannot be a literalist or believe even remotely in Genesis/Adam/Eve (or other contradictory creation myths of other obviously fabricated religions) and Science.

What religion or god you believe in is 95% a Geo-cultural accident of Birth.
If you were born in Mecca, Alabama, or Bombay, we know which religion you'll be.
Religion/god is indoctrinated, Not a discernible truth.
Science is discernible truth with actual evidence.

In fact, having faith that in God all things are possible also means that nature is potentially one of those things, as well as knowledge. It's an interesting topic of conversation in my opinion.
Even without god "all things are possible."
Hark!
There is no god in evidence, and to keep talking like he/she/it exists or attribute things to it is itself a baseless.

Faith is belief without evidence.
Science has tons of evidence/god/s have none.

`

Last edited:
The interesting aspect about your opinion above versus what I mentioned above is that both, no matter how confident you may sound, even your opinion above is not truly totally knowable. You can make educated assumptions, as you did above, about the intent or thoughts of people you have never met or know, but even your explanation above requires a level of faith on your part. Filling in the gaps as needed to help justify your hypothesis, is just as you described the hominids of the past above doing, a guess. [/b]I have no issues or reluctance around science and I respect your opinion, but you can have a respect for science AND faith in God.[/b] The two are not mutually exclusive.
It depends how literal you are.
You cannot be a literalist or believe even remotely in Genesis/Adam/Eve (or other contradictory creation myths of other obviously fabricated religions) and Science.

What religion or god you believe in is 95% a Geo-cultural accident of Birth.
If you were born in Mecca, Alabama, or Bombay, we know which religion you'll be.
Religion/god is indoctrinated, Not a discernible truth.
Science is discernible truth with actual evidence.

In fact, having faith that in God all things are possible also means that nature is potentially one of those things, as well as knowledge. It's an interesting topic of conversation in my opinion.
Even without god "all things are possible."
Hark!
There is no god in evidence, and to keep talking like he/she/it exists or attribute things to it is itself a baseless.

Faith is belief without evidence.
Science has tons of evidence/god/s have none.

`
Let’s see. The definition of faith is having complete trust in something or someone. I never place complete trust in anything without first having good reason.

The evidence for God is all around you and in you. You are without excuse if you have never seriously considered the evidence. I can’t do it for you.

To argue you would believe in God if God gave you enough evidence is blaming God for his failure when the failure is yours.

As for Genesis, it is the allegorical account of world history before the migration from Mesopotamia. The accounts were told in story fashion so that the history and understandings being passed down could be easily remembered. It was passed down orally for thousands of years from generation to generation before Moses recorded it in writing.

That is the point

All of creation is your evidence. What the fuck are you talking about. Do you not even logic?

But putting that aside you are literally proving my point that there is no evidence you will even consider. Again, a statistical impossibility.
That is no evidence of a creator..it is a theory

We don’t know how the earth and life was created, so it must have been magic

That is the point

OK

That is what this thread is about

Let’s see. The definition of faith is having complete trust in something or someone. I never place complete trust in anything without first having good reason.
That's a general def.
If one googles "definition faith" one will see the one pertaining to religion Also at the top of the page.
There's #1 you posted, then the pertinent one.

2. strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on Spiritual Apprehension Rather than proof.

How honest was that? Not.

The evidence for God is all around you and in you. You are without excuse if you have never seriously considered the evidence. I can’t do it for you.

To argue you would believe in God if God gave you enough evidence is blaming God for his failure when the failure is yours.
You have shown ZERO evidence, just EMPTILY alleged "it's all around you."
LaLa Land.
(Which/WITCH god is that btw?)

As for Genesis, it is the allegorical account of world history before the migration from Mesopotamia. The accounts were told in story fashion so that the history and understandings being passed down could be easily remembered. It was passed down orally for thousands of years from generation to generation before Moses recorded it in writing.
I see. The Truth couldn't be remembered so Genesis/Moses just fudged it from oral tradition, including the wrong/impossible order of 'creation.'
And who are YOU to say it's "allegorical"?
Many Literalists (ie, Young Earth Creationists/YEC) believe is true as written. You are saying they're wrong/Lying.

`

Last edited:

That is the point

No. We know how space and time were created and how space and time evolved until it produced beings that know and create.

Space and time were created from nothing. And then began to expand and cool.

So creation is the evidence you need to examine to answer this question because it’s the only evidence you can examine and you have never done that.

But you don’t even have a realistic perception of God. So you have never examined the evidence because you don’t want to believe in God.

OK

Yes but why are you here? Why are you discussing God? You don’t want to believe in God. So why do you want to talk about God?

That's a general def.
If one googles "definition faith" one will see the one pertaining to religion Also at the top of the page.
There's #1 you posted, then the pertinent one.

2. strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on Spiritual Apprehension Rather than proof.

How honest was that? Not.

You have shown ZERO evidence, just EMPTILY alleged "it's all around you."
LaLa Land.
(Which/WITCH god is that btw?)

I see. The Truth couldn't be remembered so Genesis/Moses just fudged it from oral tradition, including the wrong/impossible order of 'creation.'
And who are YOU to say it's "allegorical"?
Many Literalists (ie, Young Earth Creationists/YEC) believe is true as written. You are saying they're wrong/Lying.

`
You have never examined the evidence so how would you know. You don’t even have a realistic perception of God. You don’t want to believe in God. It’s not that there’s no evidence. It is literally all around you.

In fact you are arguing that Genesis should be read literally.

Here’s what Genesis tells us.

1. God created existence
2. Everything he created is good
3. What he created was done in steps
4. Man is a product of that creation
5. Man is unlike any other creature in creation
6. Man is made in God’s image in that he is a being which knows and creates
7. Man was told to go forth and be fruitful
8. Man was told to do as the original creator; to create for 6 days and then rest
9. Man knows right from wrong
10. Rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong when man does wrong, he rationalizes he didn’t do wrong
11. Successful behaviors naturally lead to success
12. Failed behaviors naturally lead to failure
13. Pass it down to the next generation

But you can keep reading it literally or pretend that it is a fairytale because all that is proving is that you don't want to believe in God.

That is the point

No. We know how space and time were created and how space and time evolved until it produced beings that know and create.

Space and time were created from nothing. And then began to expand and cool.

So creation is the evidence you need to examine to answer this question because it’s the only evidence you can examine and you have never done that.

But you don’t even have a realistic perception of God. So you have never examined the evidence because you don’t want to believe in God.
No, you don’t know how it was created
You claim it was created by magic and have no proof

OK

Yes but why are you here? Why are you discussing God? You don’t want to believe in God. So why do you want to talk about God?

I am here because the topic is the drawbacks of atheism. As an atheist, I am qualified to discuss it

Why are you here?

Forum List

Back