🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Is The Biggest Drawback Of Atheism?

Frankly, if the best argument you can come up with is fear of death, it's not a very strong argument.

What if this happens?

Many atheists would fear death if this life is all there is. The would want to live as long as possible and remain healthy. However, what if you time is up and you die in an accident tomorrow?

No Christian believes your video happens in the afterlife because of the Holy Spirit.

I've always seen that as an absurd wager. Because if the reason you believe is just because you want to play it safe and there actually is a God, then that God would know that you were just playing it safe. I would think God would prefer a tad more honesty.

You are in essence gambling with your eternal life or soul. Thus, Pascal was saying it's better to have faith and believe. Sure, it's better to be safe than sorry, but I think he meant having faith first than playing it safe. How long would that last? Probably not long. Even Jesus knew that doing miracles would not let people continue to believe in God. Through faith, there has to be a change within.

I should talk, but from this fundamental Christian's POV, it's death.

Yet, I've heard...

View attachment 281452

giphy.gif

J. Robert Oppenheimer Father of Atomic Bomb and celebrity atheist

I don't know. What do you think?

I'm not positive, but my answer would be death while Christians fear God.

Atheists may look at death like this.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

What the heck, we're all gonna die due to Adam's sin and Satan.

Still, the atheists believe...

giphy.gif
No, atheists look at death like this:

View attachment 281557
Wait until it comes for you.

Besides faith isn’t about death it’s about living.
Neither one of those things addresses my comment.
I didn’t say they did.
Then why quote me?

Yet, I've heard...

View attachment 281452

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

View attachment 281557

I didn’t say they did.
Then why quote me?
Because I was making a different point.

are you the only conservative who thinks nuking 2 japanese cities was the WRONG thing to do?

Haha. Good one. Nuking two cities didn't end the war with Japan. The Russians ended that war by showing up at Japan's doorstep. What I meant with Oppenheimer is he probably thought he was all powerful like God and could cause massive deaths.

In regards to weapons of mass destruction, the Christians would go to war over it and Israel b/c of the prophecy.

So, the question seems to be is whether a comforting myth is preferable to reality.

Well, reality isn't all that clear. Pretty much the only argument that there is no god is the lack of evidence that there is. This is a logical fallacy and proves nothing. So they are all ultimately myths. Might as well pick the myth you find most comforting.
We've been searching for evidence for millennia. I'm thinking if he/she were there we'da found something.
I don’t believe you looked very hard.

If you had put in half the effort in looking for God thank you put in for looking for reasons not to look for God, I’m certain you would have found God. He’s not that hard to find.
Not me, all the people throughout history who have looked for him. Not some "inner peace" or stuff like that, actual physical evidence. A relic, a burning bush, an angel or a devil, anything.
Maybe you did it wrong.
Me and every other human who ever existed?

no such thing as atheism because there is no god
so no drawbacks at all

Atheists believes there is no God or gods. If you do not believe in atheism, then there is a God or gods. I'm not going to argue your stupid semantics.

there's no proof of god

I'm almost positive I've explained this to you. There is evidence of God. The universe, Earth, and everything in it is here, but there is no evidence of abiogenesis, big bang, aliens, or observable evidence of evolution and evolutionary thinking. Science, i.e. the scientific method backs up the Bible. That's how we know Christianity is the one true religion.

View attachment 281557

I didn’t say they did.
Then why quote me?
Because I was making a different point.
But not addressing the post you quoted.

Since atheists don't believe in a hell we don't fear an eternal torment. If I was not an atheist I'd be real worried that I might follow the wrong religion and get myself damned. How can anyone be sure when there are so many religions and so many paths to hell?

That and getting to sleep late on Sundays.

I know atheists don't believe in hell. Thus, the drawback is death. Once an atheist dies according to their beliefs, then that's it.

Do atheists believe the following:

THE POWER OF GOOD IS ALWAYS GREATER THAN THE POWER OF EVIL?

This doesn't mean that evil does not happen. It means good will triumph over evil in the long run or at the end of the world.

This doesn't mean that evil does not happen. It means good will triumph over evil in the long run or at the end of the world.
My world ends when I do, so I guess I'll find out.

As an agnostic... I might be able to partially answer the question...
One drawback is that the cheapening of mortal existence is lacking. Without the surety of an afterlife; I hold the life I do know as more precious, and seek to preserve it with greater passion than I would, should I deem it inconsequential, believing in an even better, and eternal "afterlife"...

Why wouldn't believers not think life is precious? God gave us the will to survive or self-preservation. Christians are not for abortion and believe life begins at conception.

As an agnostic, then you would not be sure when life begins. What we are living in the US is under human law, but the law can be changed through the Supreme Court.

The lack of hope. The meaningless of life.

Atheist are in grave danger of defaulting into poisonous philosophies such as existentialism.

Hedonism is also tempting to atheist. A lot of "sins" are not not just damning to your soul but dangerous for your body. Adultery can get you shot. Stealing can get you shot. Working 7 days a week can make you insane. Killing people will eventually get you killed. Abstinence, monogamy and serial monogomy are the safest types of sex. Sin can be translated with the words, 'bad idea'. With or without a god, a bad idea is a bad idea.

Atheist can be tempted to think there are no consequences for their actions. This can lead to self destruction. But the worse thing of all is developing an existential world view. That eventually leads to suicide. Sometimes it don't take long.

What about while you are living? Does good triumph over evil, i.e. it is more powerful? It does not mean that evil doesn't win or good wins all the time. We know that's not true.

What about while you are living? Does good triumph over evil, i.e. it is more powerful? It does not mean that evil doesn't win or good wins all the time. We know that's not true.
Usually, not always though. What's your point?

dream on christian ...

isn't that self defeating for the written christian bible -

upload_2019-9-27_22-39-11.jpeg

correcting their written document as proven by recorded history's banal attempts will be their only salvation as by then will good again have the upper hand.

Yet, I've heard...

View attachment 281452

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
One drawback is that the cheapening of mortal existence is lacking. Without the surety of an afterlife; I hold the life I do know as more precious, and seek to preserve it with greater passion than I would, should I deem it inconsequential, believing in an even better, and eternal "afterlife"...
My observation is different.

Most people who profess to believe in a higher power don’t really conduct their lives like they believe they will have to answer for their sins.

Does that surprise you that I believe that?
Observation of what?
The behaviors of people of faith.
History has shown some rather shitty behaviors by people of "faith"...

As an agnostic, then you would not be sure when life begins.
How you imagine such nonsense is amazing...

Forum List

Back