What is the difference between any of these people and Jesus?

I think you answered your own questions....they're KOOKS! And they're false prophets...

2 Peter 2

New International Version (NIV)

False Teachers and Their Destruction

2 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
2 - - Bible Gateway

There are many passages in the Bible where Jesus tells us of the many false prophets that we'll come across....ALL will know when Jesus comes back, not just the few crazies that decide to follow some person that says they're the Messiah. None of them have been able to do miracles, they've just suckered people in. The false prophets follow only 1 person, Satan.

I am sure Jesus was not the only that said there will be false prophets. I would imagine that is a common thing to say...
If there was another book about a "false prophet" doing miracles, would you believe it?

Maybe He isn't, but He's the only one i know of. Sure, people talk about it, write about it....but it all came first from the Bible. This really is a very hard question to answer clearly, because as a Christian, I know there are many false prophets out there. Jesus will NOT be back until the time comes that God has had enough (which i'm surprised he hasn't already...the way this world is now). We're told he'll return with a SHOUT and ALL will know. So it doesn't matter what kind of book is written, what kind of so called miracle they performed, there is only 1 Jesus, the Son of God....and he's not someone in a community right now that has crazy people thinking he's the messiah.

So if there was another book of a prophet, you wouldnt believe it because the bible was first?
What about the gods before Jesus that shared the same stories? Virgin mother, DOB etc

Challenging one's beliefs is scarey stuff.

Far better to cling to the security blankets.

Only if your belief has been challenged. Mine hasn't.

You can ridicule, mock and trample Christianity to your hearts content. I don't see it as a challenge. I see it as ignorance on display.

There we go with that security blanket again.

Nobody has mocked, ridiculed or trampled any religion in this thread. It's simply a discusion.

Do you actually believe discussing in this manner is akin to ridicule?

You have me mistaken for a liberal. I have no need for security blankets.

And yes Christianity has been ridiculed and mocked, and yes in this thread beginning with the OP and continuing with remarks such as "Challenging one's beliefs is scarey stuff" and " Far better to cling to the security blankets". If that's not meant to ridicule or insult then what is the intent?

Only if your belief has been challenged. Mine hasn't.

You can ridicule, mock and trample Christianity to your hearts content. I don't see it as a challenge. I see it as ignorance on display.

Nobody has mocked, ridiculed or trampled any religion in this thread. It's simply a discusion.

And yes Christianity has been ridiculed and mocked, and yes in this thread beginning with the OP and continuing with remarks such as "Challenging one's beliefs is scarey stuff" and " Far better to cling to the security blankets". If that's not meant to ridicule or insult then what is the intent?

No one has mocked christianity. This is a discussion about religion in general.

The fact you play the victim card and claim christianity has been mocked is very telling and speaks volumes to your inability to discuss the issue intelligently.

I am sure Jesus was not the only that said there will be false prophets. I would imagine that is a common thing to say...
If there was another book about a "false prophet" doing miracles, would you believe it?

Maybe He isn't, but He's the only one i know of. Sure, people talk about it, write about it....but it all came first from the Bible. This really is a very hard question to answer clearly, because as a Christian, I know there are many false prophets out there. Jesus will NOT be back until the time comes that God has had enough (which i'm surprised he hasn't already...the way this world is now). We're told he'll return with a SHOUT and ALL will know. So it doesn't matter what kind of book is written, what kind of so called miracle they performed, there is only 1 Jesus, the Son of God....and he's not someone in a community right now that has crazy people thinking he's the messiah.

So if there was another book of a prophet, you wouldnt believe it because the bible was first?
What about the gods before Jesus that shared the same stories? Virgin mother, DOB etc

There were many prophets....Jesus wasn't just a prophet though, He's also the Son of God. So yes, I tend to believe Him before all others. The crazies you linked to are the false prophets...the ones that want you to think they're holy when all they are are people that want to run others lives and be the center of attention. If someone today told me they were a Prophet and was sent here by God...He/She would have a LOT of proving to do! :)

What gods, before Jesus, shared the same stories? I don't keep up on other gods...there's only 1 true God.

There were many prophets....Jesus wasn't just a prophet though, He's also the Son of God. So yes, I tend to believe Him before all others. The crazies you linked to are the false prophets...the ones that want you to think they're holy when all they are are people that want to run others lives and be the center of attention. If someone today told me they were a Prophet and was sent here by God...He/She would have a LOT of proving to do! :)

What gods, before Jesus, shared the same stories? I don't keep up on other gods...there's only 1 true God.

The whole story about Jesus is basically lifted from Egyptian mythology concerning Horus.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5b.htm

Last edited:

The Son of God, according to him and the Bible
According to Bhagavata Purana some believe that Krishna was born without a sexual union, by “mental transmission” from the mind of Vasudeva into the womb of Devaki, his mother. Christ and Krishna were called both God and the Son of God. Both were sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man. Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity. Krishna’s adoptive human father was also a carpenter. A spirit or ghost was their actual father. Krishna and Jesus were of royal descent. Both were visited at birth by wise men and shepherds, guided by a star. Angels in both cases issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the baby and had issued a decree for his assassination. The parents fled. Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea; Krishna’s parents stayed in Mathura. Both Christ and Krishna withdrew to the wilderness as adults, and fasted. Both were identified as “the seed of the woman bruising the serpent’s head.” Jesus was called “the lion of the tribe of Judah.” Krishna was called “the lion of the tribe of Saki.” Both claimed: “I am the Resurrection.” Both were “without sin.” Both were god-men: being considered both human and divine. Both performed many miracles, including the healing of disease. One of the first miracles that both performed was to make a leper whole. Each cured “all manner of diseases.” Both cast out indwelling demons, and raised the dead. Both selected disciples to spread his teachings. Both were meek, and merciful. Both were criticized for associating with sinners. Both celebrated a last supper. Both forgave his enemies. Both were crucified and both were resurrected. 3200 -3100 B.C.

Romulus is born of a vestal virgin, which was a priestess of the hearth god Vesta sworn to celibacy. His mother claims that the divine impregnated her 771 - 717 B.C.

Dionysus was born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger. He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles. Still alive. Supposedly betwen 2200 and 2500 years old.

Zoroaster was born of a virgin and “immaculate conception by a ray of divine reason.” He was baptized in a river. In his youth he astounded wise men with his wisdom. He was tempted in the wilderness by the devil. He began his ministry at age 30. Zoroaster baptized with water, fire and “holy wind.” He cast out demons and restored the sight to a blind man. He taught about heaven and hell, and revealed mysteries, including resurrection, judgment, salvation and the apocalypse. He had a sacred cup or grail. He was slain. His religion had a eucharist. He was the “Word made flesh.” Zoroaster’s followers expected a “second coming” in the virgin-born Saoshynt or Savior, who is to come in 2341 AD and begin his ministry at age 30, ushering in a golden age. Before 1700 B.C.

Attis was born on December 25 of the Virgin Nana. He was considered the savior who was slain for the salvation of mankind. His body as bread was eaten by his worshippers. He was both the Divine Son and the Father. On “Black Friday,” he was crucified on a tree, from which his holy blood ran down to redeem the earth. He descended into the underworld. After three days, Attis was resurrected. Dont know his years, but relics about him have dated back 2100 years

Born of a virgin, Isis. Only begotten son of the God Osiris. Birth heralded by the star Sirius, the morning star. Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (about DEC-21). In reality, he had no birth date; he was not a human. Death threat during infancy: Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Handling the threat: The God That tells Horus’ mother “Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child.” An angel tells Jesus’ father to: “Arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt.” Break in life history: No data between ages of 12 & 30. Age at baptism: 30. Subsequent fate of the baptiser: Beheaded. Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. Was crucifed, descended into Hell; resurrected after three days. 2500 B.C.

The fact you play the victim card and claim christianity has been mocked is very telling and speaks volumes to your inability to discuss the issue intelligently.

Speaking of inabilities.

Answer my question.

Speaking of inabilities.

Answer my question.

How are those questions ridiculing christianity?

I would say the same things to a Muslim or a Buddhist if they were unwilling to examine their own religion and closing their eyes and their minds to any claims that questioned their legitimacy.

Speaking of inabilities.

Answer my question.

I would say the same things to a Muslim or a Buddhist if they were unwilling to examine their own religion and closing their eyes and their minds to any claims that questioned their legitimacy.

If you wish to believe the comparison wasn't meant to slight Christianity then go ahead and believe what you will.

And you didn't answer my question about your "intent".

Speaking of inabilities.

Answer my question.

If you wish to believe the comparison wasn't meant to slight Christianity then go ahead and believe what you will.

I'm sorry, what was the question about my "intent?"

Your intent to "bash" Christianity
/I thought we were just having a good discussion :dunno:

According to Bhagavata Purana some believe that Krishna was born without a sexual union, by “mental transmission” from the mind of Vasudeva into the womb of Devaki, his mother. Christ and Krishna were called both God and the Son of God. Both were sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man. Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity. Krishna’s adoptive human father was also a carpenter. A spirit or ghost was their actual father. Krishna and Jesus were of royal descent. Both were visited at birth by wise men and shepherds, guided by a star. Angels in both cases issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the baby and had issued a decree for his assassination. The parents fled. Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea; Krishna’s parents stayed in Mathura. Both Christ and Krishna withdrew to the wilderness as adults, and fasted. Both were identified as “the seed of the woman bruising the serpent’s head.” Jesus was called “the lion of the tribe of Judah.” Krishna was called “the lion of the tribe of Saki.” Both claimed: “I am the Resurrection.” Both were “without sin.” Both were god-men: being considered both human and divine. Both performed many miracles, including the healing of disease. One of the first miracles that both performed was to make a leper whole. Each cured “all manner of diseases.” Both cast out indwelling demons, and raised the dead. Both selected disciples to spread his teachings. Both were meek, and merciful. Both were criticized for associating with sinners. Both celebrated a last supper. Both forgave his enemies. Both were crucified and both were resurrected. 3200 -3100 B.C.

Romulus is born of a vestal virgin, which was a priestess of the hearth god Vesta sworn to celibacy. His mother claims that the divine impregnated her 771 - 717 B.C.

Dionysus was born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger. He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles. Still alive. Supposedly betwen 2200 and 2500 years old.

Zoroaster was born of a virgin and “immaculate conception by a ray of divine reason.” He was baptized in a river. In his youth he astounded wise men with his wisdom. He was tempted in the wilderness by the devil. He began his ministry at age 30. Zoroaster baptized with water, fire and “holy wind.” He cast out demons and restored the sight to a blind man. He taught about heaven and hell, and revealed mysteries, including resurrection, judgment, salvation and the apocalypse. He had a sacred cup or grail. He was slain. His religion had a eucharist. He was the “Word made flesh.” Zoroaster’s followers expected a “second coming” in the virgin-born Saoshynt or Savior, who is to come in 2341 AD and begin his ministry at age 30, ushering in a golden age. Before 1700 B.C.

Attis was born on December 25 of the Virgin Nana. He was considered the savior who was slain for the salvation of mankind. His body as bread was eaten by his worshippers. He was both the Divine Son and the Father. On “Black Friday,” he was crucified on a tree, from which his holy blood ran down to redeem the earth. He descended into the underworld. After three days, Attis was resurrected. Dont know his years, but relics about him have dated back 2100 years

Born of a virgin, Isis. Only begotten son of the God Osiris. Birth heralded by the star Sirius, the morning star. Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (about DEC-21). In reality, he had no birth date; he was not a human. Death threat during infancy: Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Handling the threat: The God That tells Horus’ mother “Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child.” An angel tells Jesus’ father to: “Arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt.” Break in life history: No data between ages of 12 & 30. Age at baptism: 30. Subsequent fate of the baptiser: Beheaded. Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. Was crucifed, descended into Hell; resurrected after three days. 2500 B.C.

That is interesting....and I'd never heard these stories. They won't change my mind in my belief. If these stories were all true, i would think there would have been more knowledge of them. It's hard for me to believe i've been a Christian for around 20 years and never heard of this.....

All of these stories are way before Jesus was born. So I would think we would have seen this in the Old Testament?? Of course, I don't think anyone knows how many years there were between the last book of the OT and the 1st book of the NT. Just like all those years missing in Jesus's life....we don't know what happened in that time. God spoke in the OT about the Messiah coming.....Maybe there were all these FALSE gods fooling people into believing that the Messiah had already come. We have all these false messiahs today doing the same thing, saying they're Jesus returned as He promised.

Guess I could speculate all day long! :)

Kinda sounds like democrat. If you disagree you are racist lol
No offense cowboy, I never seen you talk like that

Yes scrolling up is so difficult.

"remarks such as "Challenging one's beliefs is scarey stuff" and " Far better to cling to the security blankets". If that's not meant to ridicule or insult then what is the intent?"

That is interesting....and I'd never heard these stories. They won't change my mind in my belief. If these stories were all true, i would think there would have been more knowledge of them. It's hard for me to believe i've been a Christian for around 20 years and never heard of this.....

All of these stories are way before Jesus was born. So I would think we would have seen this in the Old Testament?? Of course, I don't think anyone knows how many years there were between the last book of the OT and the 1st book of the NT. Just like all those years missing in Jesus's life....we don't know what happened in that time. God spoke in the OT about the Messiah coming.....Maybe there were all these FALSE gods fooling people into believing that the Messiah had already come. We have all these false messiahs today doing the same thing, saying they're Jesus returned as He promised.

Guess I could speculate all day long! :)

If they did change your belief, you wouldnt have much faith lol
Ancient Judah and Israel were surrounded by nations like Edom, Moab, Ammon, Philistia, Phoencia, Aram, etc, that all had their own gods
They are very real, recorded history.
They were gods of their own religion. The OT does mention other Gods, just not by name(I believe). They have just died out. Especially when Christianity was ruled religion of the land.
Remember "God of all GODS"?
I just find it weird that they were all before Jesus, but all have SO MANY similarities with him...
And, yes, religion could be speculated constantly!

"remarks such as "Challenging one's beliefs is scarey stuff" and " Far better to cling to the security blankets". If that's not meant to ridicule or insult then what is the intent?"

Its meant as a statement of fact.

It's far easier to nuzzle your security blanket (ie. deeply held beliefs) rather than challenge them by engaging in debate or by reading things that disagree with these beliefs and discussing them in a meaningful way.

You already stated that you refused to read the psychological studies that found religion to be a need because you calimed they were all probably BS. Therefore you refused to even remotely challenge your beliefs.

As I stated previously, I would have the same comments regardless of your religion, so I can't see how anyone would take them as a swipe at Christianity.

Finally, if you didn't want to discuss the subject, why did you join the thread?

I want to keep this calm
I really am just interested in religion
I enjoy talking about it, and learning about peoples faith

You wont learn by talking. You have to study. If you learn by what others say, you only learn there slant on religion.

That is what I want
I know enough about religion

There are some decent books out there. Some go into the fact that Jesus was among many claiming to be the Messiah, as well as them meeting the same fate. Why Jesus was not just another Johnny come lately among lots of other Jesus's is a good question. Constantine, and the Council of Nicaea quotes are nothing more then pseudo intellectual blather. There are some good books that go into the political climate, and the attitude of the Jews at the time. Cant remember off the top of my head though. Ill dig throw my books and try and find some for you if you want.

Its meant as a statement of fact.

It's far easier to nuzzle your security blanket (ie. deeply held beliefs) rather than challenge them by engaging in debate or by reading things that disagree with these beliefs and discussing them in a meaningful way.

You already stated that you refused to read the psychological studies that found religion to be a need because you calimed they were all probably BS. Therefore you refused to even remotely challenge your beliefs.

As I stated previously, I would have the same comments regardless of your religion, so I can't see how anyone would take them as a swipe at Christianity.

Finally, if you didn't want to discuss the subject, why did you join the thread?

If it's indeed a fact then you should be able to prove it.

I'll wait.

Forum List

Back