What makes a country great?

Often Americans will say America is the greatest.
Canadians will say Canada is the greatest.
French will say France is the greatest.
And so on. It's not hard to see why people think their own country is the greatest, they've been indoctrinated into it, or they've just grown up there and are comfortable with it, or they don't know anywhere else... or maybe other reasons.

But, if you're going to give a UNIVERSAL assessment of what makes a country great, what would those things be?

I'll tell you what doesn't make a country great... One man. That kind of shits all over MAGA. Fucking moronic slogan. It is not the president or leader of a country that makes it great.

As to your OP, it's purely subjective. To my mind, it's the people of a country that makes it great. In the case of the United States, I'd say the people and the Constitution. Not the President, not the congress...

MAGA was Trump asking for support so that WE could make America great again.

From his presidential announcement. It is only 18 seconds. Watch it.

And so on. It's not hard to see why people think their own country is the greatest, they've been indoctrinated into it, or they've just grown up there and are comfortable with it, or they don't know anywhere else... or maybe other reasons.

But, if you're going to give a UNIVERSAL assessment of what makes a country great, what would those things be?

Freedom and opportunity are vital requirements in my opinion. Also, the determination of the greatest country is subjective. It depends a lot on ones personal views.

I would measure it by the ability of regular people to build good, safe lives for their families.

A tiny country on a rock in the middle of the pacific? If they can do that, it is a great country.

Freedom and opportunity are vital requirements in my opinion. Also, the determination of the greatest country is subjective. It depends a lot on ones personal views.
Lots of drugs and hot chicks help also...

In my opinion it's freedom and ability.

We are one of the only countries where a poor person can become middle-class, upper middle-class or even wealthy. It's not easy and may require sacrifice and investment, but it can be done.

It amazes me when I see foreign store owners who work from sun up to past sun down seven days a week. Many came here with little to no money, worked their asses off, and used every dime they could afford to open up their own business.

Why can't American born people do this? Because we are spoiled.

If the work is too hard, not the hours you like, takes too much time to learn, has you working overtime, you can just sit home and the working people will take care of you. Our so called poor have cell phones, air conditioning, free medical care, free food, and in some cases, a house or apartment in the suburbs.

However if you can avoid all that spoiling, you can become successful. Of course, when you do, you are castigated by the left, but most people ignore them anyway. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

As for those who feel it's the people that make this country great, no foreigners are trying to move and live here because we have great people.

No, I think you're wrong. It can happen elsewhere too.

Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Very rare in other places. Here we make a new millionaire every day.

I'll tell you what doesn't make a country great... One man. That kind of shits all over MAGA. Fucking moronic slogan. It is not the president or leader of a country that makes it great.

As to your OP, it's purely subjective. To my mind, it's the people of a country that makes it great. In the case of the United States, I'd say the people and the Constitution. Not the President, not the congress...

And why did he, and presumably you and other Trump supporters, believe America was not great?

How much they have given to their own people....and how much the country has given to the World.......and in both cases, the U.S., through our belief system, has created more freedom and wealth for more people, at home and around the world, than any other country, in less time, with fewer abuses than any other country...

That is what makes us great. And we continue to be first at every disaster around the world, we continue to protect the rest of the world at great cost in blood and money while those other countries spend their resources on themselves....living under the protection we afford them......

And why did he, and presumably you and other Trump supporters, believe America was not great?

Because national policies for generations have been fucking Middle America.

And the ill effects are piling up to the point that they are killing us.

A country without politicians, would be a great country.

I appreciate the sentiment, but a country without politicians would be anarchy, no government. If you have government, you have politicians.
Well...I will take anarchy any day over what we have today. That said, government can exist without politicians.

And where in history has government existed without politicians, or is this just your theory?

You can earn as much money as you want.....then you get the drugs, then you get the power, then you get the women....

Same as everywhere else then.
Not in places where social mobility is a class warfare event...

Well, isn't it an issue in the US as much as other places? It's just different.

We are one of the only countries where a poor person can become middle-class, upper middle-class or even wealthy. It's not easy and may require sacrifice and investment, but it can be done.

It amazes me when I see foreign store owners who work from sun up to past sun down seven days a week. Many came here with little to no money, worked their asses off, and used every dime they could afford to open up their own business.

If the work is too hard, not the hours you like, takes too much time to learn, has you working overtime, you can just sit home and the working people will take care of you. Our so called poor have cell phones, air conditioning, free medical care, free food, and in some cases, a house or apartment in the suburbs.

However if you can avoid all that spoiling, you can become successful. Of course, when you do, you are castigated by the left, but most people ignore them anyway. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

As for those who feel it's the people that make this country great, no foreigners are trying to move and live here because we have great people.

But then the US is much bigger than other countries. Making millionaires isn't what makes a country great, it's making people have enough money for a good life. If you have more millionaires, potentially you have poverty too.

Switzerland has the highest proportion of US dollar millionaires in the world at 82,549 per 100,000.
Sweden is second at 54,167 per 100,000.
The US is third with 49,078 per 100,000
Australia 4th with 41,547 per 100,000
The UK 5th with 36,879 per 100,000

The problem here is the higher your GDP, the more millionaires you'll have, but then a million won't get you very much.

Switzerland is 9th in the world for GDP according to the IMF and 7th according to the World Bank.
"In Geneva, the median asking price was CHF 11,710 (€10,891) per sq. m." for a house.

Swiss house prices are now falling

In China you're going to be looking at far, far, far less for property. So a dollar millionaire in China is rich, massively rich. They could probably buy five decent sized properties in a major city. In Switzerland this might buy you one. A 70 square meter property in Geneva is going to cost you like 1 million dollars, at median asking price.

You have to understand the facts your looking at Ray, otherwise you're not going to understand what's going on.

The country that get's out of the way of it's citizens, and allows them to pursue their dreams, and does not penalize achievement, and does not teach the citizens to look to the government for their wellbeing, is a great country.

Thanks to Dimocrats and how they actively work to restrict individual achievement, and how they actively work to create a nanny-state, America is not as great as it once was.

What makes a country great?

1. its ability to defend its People and its territorial integrity
2. its social and economic and technological development
3. its method of governance
4. the loyalty of its citizenry
5. its sustainability
6. its future prospects

But then the US is much bigger than other countries. Making millionaires isn't what makes a country great, it's making people have enough money for a good life. If you have more millionaires, potentially you have poverty too.

Switzerland has the highest proportion of US dollar millionaires in the world at 82,549 per 100,000.

The problem here is the higher your GDP, the more millionaires you'll have, but then a million won't get you very much.

Switzerland is 9th in the world for GDP according to the IMF and 7th according to the World Bank.
"In Geneva, the median asking price was CHF 11,710 (€10,891) per sq. m." for a house.

In China you're going to be looking at far, far, far less for property. So a dollar millionaire in China is rich, massively rich. They could probably buy five decent sized properties in a major city. In Switzerland this might buy you one. A 70 square meter property in Geneva is going to cost you like 1 million dollars, at median asking price.

You have to understand the facts your looking at Ray, otherwise you're not going to understand what's going on.

Yes, but the cost of living is a bigger factor. For instance, a home you can buy here for around the $200,000 area is closer to the $800,000 area in the NE states. Same with California. The median income in Switzerland is in the mid $200,000 area, so your dollar doesn't stretch as far as just about any other country.

Switzerland has the second highest cost of living in the world, and Sweden falls in 15th place. The US (collectively) places 24th in the entire world:

Cost of Living Index by Country 2017 Mid-Year

Yes, but the cost of living is a bigger factor. For instance, a home you can buy here for around the $200,000 area is closer to the $800,000 area in the NE states. Same with California. The median income in Switzerland is in the mid $200,000 area, so your dollar doesn't stretch as far as just about any other country.

Switzerland has the second highest cost of living in the world, and Sweden falls in 15th place. The US (collectively) places 24th in the entire world:

Cost of Living Index by Country 2017 Mid-Year

Which is what I just said Ray.

You said the US was much better, but now you're going to have to compare all countries to find out where the US is, because you don't actually know.

Forum List

Back