What one issue do you struggle with the most?

Hoping for an interesting, illuminating conversation here.

The one major issue I struggle the most with is the death penalty. My impulse is to be against the death penalty, because (a) I don't see it as a deterrent, and (b) because I kinda like the idea of letting someone rot for killing someone else. HOWEVER, if someone I love were murdered, I may want that killer to be made dead ASAP. I've never been in that position, so I can't tell how I would react.

What's yours?

Maintaining faith in humanity.

It's not much of a punishment. The deceased certainly doesn't learn anything. The death penalty is nothing more than necessary housekeeping. It's tidying up the prison to make room for another prisoner.
From a cost prospective, the death penalty would be good if it didn't take 20 plus years to carry out by saving on the expense of a long incarceration. However, the way things are now, it probably cost more to execute someone that it would be to simply lock 'em up and throw away the key.

It's not much of a punishment. The deceased certainly doesn't learn anything. The death penalty is nothing more than necessary housekeeping. It's tidying up the prison to make room for another prisoner.

Some people, through their conduct, simply forfeit the right to breathe. These people should be put to death in haste...

My issue with the death penalty is its unequal application in our country.

I am fine with the concept of it, of a law saying 'do this thing and you lose your life".

But when humans cannot seem to do things in a fair manner
Exactly. Too many innocents end up on death row. Just the fact that it can’t be done competently in every case is enough for it to go away.

Some people, through their conduct, simply forfeit the right to breathe. These people should be put to death in haste...
Yes. Yes. I have said exactly the same many times. Tookie Williams, from his cell on death row, communicated with associates on the outside and was able to plan and direct gang murders. He was one of those that I did not know personally. His activities was common knowledge. Had he gotten the DP sooner, more witnesses would have survived.

I am pro-death penalty in theory. That said, their have been many innocent people "found guilty" and later it was discovered that they were actually innocent. Granted, many of these people were not sentenced to death; however, I've got to wonder how many people have been sentenced to death unjustly. Our legal system is composed of humans and humans make mistakes (and some are intentionally crooked).

That's why we have an appeals process.

The one major issue I struggle the most with is the death penalty. My impulse is to be against the death penalty, because (a) I don't see it as a deterrent, and (b) because I kinda like the idea of letting someone rot for killing someone else. HOWEVER, if someone I love were murdered, I may want that killer to be made dead ASAP. I've never been in that position, so I can't tell how I would react.

I like Heinlein's take on the death penalty: the state should not be allowed to employ the death penalty, but individuals aren't, necessarily, held to that prohibition. In other words, if a crime was extremely heinous and you're 100% convinced of the guilt of the assailant - you can off them. But you'd better be sure, because if a jury doesn't agree, you're going to jail.

I like Heinlein's take on the death penalty: the state should not be allowed to employ the death penalty, but individuals aren't, necessarily, held to that prohibition. In other words, if a crime was extremely heinous and you're 100% convinced of the guilt of the assailant - you can off them. But you better be sure, because if a jury doesn't agree, you're going to jail.
Keep "defunding" police and that's what the law will look like eventually.

If someone claims to be against "Big Government" this should be a no-brainer and they shouldn't want government anywhere near making these decisions of life and death.

The death penalty, in at least federal crimes, is constitutionally mandated, and there is plenty of Due process and other protections.

Similar at the State level.

Some crimes simply don't deserve 3 hots and a cot for the rest of a person's life.

how'z about YOUR perceived ability to shut off reality when it's inCONvenient for you? why must you try to pin a deviant evil sickness of child diddling on (D)s as if (R)s aren't capable of doing such heinous crimes? oh i know!!!!! you are a partisan stooge. i could list several so called (R)s that have been convicted of such acts.

now run along coward & ignore this reply like you always do.

It's not about criminals, it's about trying to sexualize children in school, from preschool on. Commiecrats are doing that, not republicans. Don't you have a problem with that?

What's yours?

Guess you're not having any trouble paying your bills like most of the country. Good for you.

Forum List

Back