What one issue do you struggle with the most?

I've never believed that the death penalty should be a deterrent. It should be, and should always have been, a punishment. Nothing more, nothing less.

The issue I struggle with the most is abortion.

Personally, I find it to be an abhorrent practice. I wish it wasn't a thing. I wish there wasn't a reason for it. I wish women would want to get pregnant, get pregnant, and nine months later give birth to a wondrous bundle of joy.

If my daughter were to become pregnant (which she cannot) and sought my advice, I would advise her to not terminate her pregnancy.

That said, I am vehemently against the government, state or federal, deciding whether or not it should be available to a woman who, for whatever reason, wants to have one. That should be between the woman, her doctor and whoever her God is.

You will never legislate abortion out of existence. A woman who wants one will get one, whether it's legal or not. For that reason, as I see it, safe abortion services should always be available...
Yeah, it seems to me that this is the most binary of the issues. The procedure is either done or it isn't. Not a lot of wiggle room.

I agree with your points on both ends of this, and it seems to me that the closest we can come to some compromise is a limit on the gestation period. I'm no fan of Lindsey Graham, but I do agree with his suggestion. The pro life side would be making the bigger compromise in this particular case, since most abortions take place within 15 weeks anyway.

There are no perfect 50/50 compromises, though. We all can get our way a little more on one issue, a little less on the next.

You actually knew them...as in had a relationship with them? Several? You must hang out with some shady characters
Well, that was my job as a defense attorney. I had many talks with my clients about what they did and why. Vonda Pelto, a friend of mine was the state psychologist to death row inmates. We had many discussions about acts and motivation. Mary Neiswender was a friend of Charles Manson. She was writing a book about him. I went with her a few times when she visited him. He was so full of fury and hate that it would be surprising if his furious spirit wasn't haunting that prison.

For those who sincerely believe that inmates regret their crimes and spend their time in repentance you are wrong. Manson's great regret was that there weren't more killings and he didn't get to do them himself.

There is no hypocrisy. A murder is guilty of a heinous crime deserving of the punishment of death. A fetus in the womb is one of the most innocent beings in existence who has not earned the punishment of death. It's kind of ironic that most people consider harming a newborn baby as one of the most heinous crimes possible due to it's innocence and helplessness, but killing that life just a short time before it can be born isn't a crime at all.
The hypocrisy does come in when killing the innocent unborn at any stage for convenience is okay but killing the one guilty of the most horrible crimes is not. I agree that protecting the life of the innocent unborn while condoning the death penalty as a consequence for committing the most horrible crimes is not hypocritical.

Quite true, but that's not the essence of what a deterrent is.

A deterrent is that which would keep other would-be murderers from murdering...
You will never have that. Criminals never expect to be caught at all. Not shoplifters, carjackers and certainly not murderers.

Yeah, it seems to me that this is the most binary of the issues. The procedure is either done or it isn't. Not a lot of wiggle room.

I agree with your points on both ends of this, and it seems to me that the closest we can come to some compromise is a limit on the gestation period. I'm no fan of Lindsey Graham, but I do agree with his suggestion. The pro life side would be making the bigger compromise in this particular case, since most abortions take place within 15 weeks anyway.

There are no perfect 50/50 compromises, though. We all can get our way a little more on one issue, a little less on the next.
Lindsey Graham can recommend the changes to the South Carolina legislature. That is all he can and should do.

Hoping for an interesting, illuminating conversation here.

The one major issue I struggle the most with is the death penalty. My impulse is to be against the death penalty, because (a) I don't see it as a deterrent, and (b) because I kinda like the idea of letting someone rot for killing someone else. HOWEVER, if someone I love were murdered, I may want that killer to be made dead ASAP. I've never been in that position, so I can't tell how I would react.

What's yours?

I also struggle with the death penalty. Primarily because so many people on death row have been found to be innocent through DNA evidence.

Since so many innocent people have been sent to death row, I support a moratorium until our justice system gets its shit together.

Calcified? :laughing0301: Why am I not surprised that you would choose that word?

I prefer "ideologically resolute".

Your arrogance is astounding at times. To hint that another's ideology is pathological because it disagrees with yours is the height of hubris.

But keep being you. It's an entertaining diversion while we wait for the Red Wave.
Actually, being "ideologically resolute" is the epitome of hubris.

My issue with the death penalty is the number of death row inmates who were eventually freed because of DNA evidence.

Had they been given “swift justice” they would have been killed by the state and been innocent. That’s just WRONG.

It makes you wonder how many people were executed by the state who should not have been

I struggle with the legalization of all drugs. I have no problem with the legalization of marijuana, but hard drugs like heroin or fentanyl I'm not so sure about.

One thing I am sure about is that the War on Drugs has been a catastrophic failure, and we need to try something different.

Harm mitigation experiments seem to have some success. We certainly need more drug rehabs.

I don't think 30 day drug treatment does much good. I think people need residential treatment of at least 3 months to have any chance of recovering from addiction.

If we could reduce the drug problem, we would greatly reduce the poverty and crime problem.

Actually, being "ideologically resolute" is the epitome of hubris.
And I care.....................................................why, precisely?

Good is good and evil is evil and you can't be both at the same time. Moral relativism is for wimps.

If someone claims to be against "Big Government" this should be a no-brainer and they shouldn't want government anywhere near making these decisions of life and death.

Government doesn't make the decision, citizens on juries do.

Well, that was my job as a defense attorney. I had many talks with my clients about what they did and why. Vonda Pelto, a friend of mine was the state psychologist to death row inmates. We had many discussions about acts and motivation. Mary Neiswender was a friend of Charles Manson. She was writing a book about him. I went with her a few times when she visited him. He was so full of fury and hate that it would be surprising if his furious spirit wasn't haunting that prison.

For those who sincerely believe that inmates regret their crimes and spend their time in repentance you are wrong. Manson's great regret was that there weren't more killings and he didn't get to do them himself.
That explains it. Defense attorney.. got ya.

I agree with you about "regret". The main thing that truly evil people regret is getting caught.

Forum List

Back