🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

CDZ What would American Culture Be Without Black People?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough that I have heard classic sounding bits in rock and roll songs.

Where did jazz musicians get their instruments?

You mean instruments like the banjo?

I was thinking more like the saxophone and the trombone.

These instruments came from classic music and were used to make jazz music.

This is, in a very basic way, European influence on Jazz.

As I said.

h huh. Did you also know that Europeans had iron and steel tools? So it's almost just like they invented the Ford F-150......in a very basic way.

The materials and tools available are important factors in what an artist can do.

Do you know why the Ancient Egyptians were so big on bas reliefs? Because the crappy stone they had was to weak to support free standing statues.

Left in African, African musicians would never have learned to play the sax. Because they would not have had that sax.
Since Africans were the first to make carbonized steel they were more than capable of making a sax or trombone. Those same Egyptians built the still standing pyramids. An engineering feat no one has been able to duplicate. Statues? :laugh:

That's all very interesting, but once again, we're talking about American culture.

As I said.

h huh. Did you also know that Europeans had iron and steel tools? So it's almost just like they invented the Ford F-150......in a very basic way.

The materials and tools available are important factors in what an artist can do.

Do you know why the Ancient Egyptians were so big on bas reliefs? Because the crappy stone they had was to weak to support free standing statues.

Left in African, African musicians would never have learned to play the sax. Because they would not have had that sax.

What ever point you think you're making, you haven't made it.

This topic is a stretch for me, I am not well versed in music.

But the idea that black culture is the only part of American culture that is vibrant and good?

That's absolute nonsense.

And yet you can't seem to articulate an actual rebuttal.

Pointing out that the instruments of Jazz came from Classical music was a good point.

That you dismiss it doesn't change that.

I'm sure more will be coming along.

But the idea that black culture is the only part of American culture that is vibrant and good?

Pointing out that the instruments of Jazz came from Classical music was a good point.

What you've failed to do here is actually make a point.

As I said.

Since Africans were the first to make carbonized steel they were more than capable of making a sax or trombone. Those same Egyptians built the still standing pyramids. An engineering feat no one has been able to duplicate. Statues? :laugh:

That's all very interesting, but once again, we're talking about American culture.

The influence of Blacks into American culture would have roots in the cultures they brought with them from Africa.

They were not blank slates when they came off the boats.

As I said.

I stand corrected on the steel.

Please provide any links demonstrating any complicated metal machines like a saxophone.

And yes, no standing statues. They did not have the stone for it.
What do you need links to complicated metal machines for? Its not supposed to be complicated. Africans were into simplicity.

What you've failed to do here is actually make a point.

I've showed that European culture was part of the fusion that led to Jazz, not some uniquely and solely Black invention.

Would there be any American culture that anyone would care about without African American culture? If black folks had never been enslaved what would the culture of America look like? I believe it would be a dull, lifeless, colorless culture with very little to offer the world. Blues, Jazz, Rock and Roll, R and B, etc.; music the whole world listens to, music everyone everywhere loves, and as American as apple pie. These are America's best and lasting contributions to humanity. When this country is ancient history, African American culture is what we'll be remembered for.

I agree it would be pretty boring

There would be no Rock and Roll only Pat Boone
Sports, food, fashion, language, comedy

Blacks have left their mark

There is nothing classical about what whites call classical music. Music originated in Africa. Thats classical music.

As I said.

Please provide any links demonstrating any complicated metal machines like a saxophone.

What do you need links to complicated metal machines for? Its not supposed to be complicated. Africans were into simplicity.

Saxophones look plenty complicated to me, and you're claiming the Africans could have built them.

As I said.

Black contributions to American culture are rooted in Africa.

Saxophones look plenty complicated to me, and you're claiming the Africans could have built them.
Since they invented steel I dont get your point. Why would they not have been able to build a saxophone like instrument without it being complicated?

As I said.

The influence of Blacks into American culture would have roots in the cultures they brought with them from Africa.

You've failed to make the connection between musical instruments and music. Africans brought rhythm and beat with them, it didn't just occur to them after seeing an oboe or a violin.

There is nothing classical about what whites call classical music. Music originated in Africa. Thats classical music.

Not sure why using the name Classical Music to discuss Classical Music is an issue for you, and I don't see how it is relevant to anything.

I will be using normal english usage words and meanings in my posts.

You've failed to make the connection between musical instruments and music. Africans brought rhythm and beat with them, it didn't just occur to them after seeing an oboe or a violin.
There are plenty of wind instruments in Africa. Whatever point he was attempting to make fails on every level.

You don't see a connection between musical instruments and music?

Really?

Europeans didn't have rhythm before Africans? Or beat? Can you support that claim?

As I said.

Yes they are, but if you would notice, this thread is about American culture and the historic role of African Americans in creating that culture.

Not sure why using the name Classical Music to discuss Classical Music is an issue for you, and I don't see how it is relevant to anything.

I will be using normal english usage words and meanings in my posts.
Its just as relevant as your "complicated machine" link. White music isnt classical.

Really?

Europeans didn't have rhythm before Africans? Or beat? Can you support that claim?
Like you said already, you really don't know enough about music to comment.

Really?

Europeans still dont have rhythm for the most part. Of course they didnt have beat. They ridiculed other cultures for their use of drums.

As I said.

Some are

The food is distinctly American. Music has influences from both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back