What Would Jesus Do?

Running a cartoon begets bombing an embassy. That's unacceptable. Your contortions to equate christianity to this are feeble, ineffective, disingenuous and frankly, beneath a person of your intellect.

Mariner,

I don't know where you get your information from, but it is terribly inaccurate

and the vast majority of Muslims worldwide expressed sympathy for the U.S. Remember, our approval rating in their eyes rose to 90% after 9/11, and stayed there through Afghanistan. It only fell after we invaded Iraq, which we did without the cooperation of most surrounding Muslim countries or others around the world.

A sweeping poll of attitudes in the Islamic world shows that most Muslims don't believe Arabs carried out the Sept. 11 attacks and disapprove of the U.S. military campaign in Afghanistan. The Gallup Organization poll, released Tuesday, is the most comprehensive survey of Muslim countries taken since Sept. 11. It confirms anecdotal evidence of a huge gulf between the West and Muslim nations that existed before the attacks and remains deep.Although most Muslims condemn the terrorist attacks that sparked the U.S. war in Afghanistan, the poll shows a majority believe the campaign is morally unjustified and express a breathtaking depth of anti-U.S. sentiment.

Respondents overwhelmingly describe the United States as "<b>ruthless, aggressive, conceited, arrogant, easily provoked, biased,</b>" says Gallup Editor-in-Chief Frank Newport. "The people of Islamic countries have significant grievances with the West in general and with the United States in particular."

Gallup conducted in-person interviews during December and January of 9,924 residents in nine Muslim countries: Indonesia, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Key findings:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2002/02/27/usat-poll.htm

But back the original point.

I have no need of religion and I see no need for it, it has brought nothing but death and destruction to the human race since the beginning of time. With that said, followers of any religion have no right to stifle my freedom of expression just as I have no right to stop your expression of religion. I do not believe in Allah, or Mohammad, but that does not that give the followers of that religion the right call for my execution.

Democrat4Bush said:
Mariner,

I have no need of religion and I see no need for it, it has brought nothing but death and destruction to the human race since the beginning of time. With that said, followers of any religion have no right to stifle my freedom of expression just as I have no right to stop your expression of religion. I do not believe in Allah, or Mohammad, but that does not that give the followers of that religion the right call for my execution.

I'm thinking of hosting a Quran burning. Are you interested? Bring marshmallows.

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm thinking of hosting a Quran burning. Are you interested? Bring marshmallows.

That's a good idea, if you're actually going to do it. If you're just going to talk about it, then............ :lame2:

Nuc said:
Maybe outside the Bush ranch in Crawford? Outside the White House. Timing is off to do it as a tailgating event at the Super Bowl, unfortunately.

Yeah. It would have been good as a prelude to the half time show. Or maybe right after the pledge of allegiance. :banana:

nkml said:
Firstly please respect me as a Muslim and don't start insulting my Prophet.

Secondly, NBC received a 2.5 million dollar fine, did the Danish newspaper pay anything? No, did the Danish government do anything? No, no fines nothing, instead they insult our intelligence by saying that this is a freedom of speech, which is clearly not the case when the same Danish newspaper (JP) refused to publish cartoons of Jesus.

So in other words freedom of speech doesn't apply when Muslims are involved? I don't know what planet you really come from but if you have missed all the slandering of Christians, Jews, and Catholics, in the free press you must be from Saturn. And yet none of us go around killing an innocent catholic priest and others, destroying property, or demanding hands be cut off in retaliation, what some have done is protest peacefully, which is obviously something many Muslims are incapable of. You want Muslims to be taken seriously then tell them to stop acting like a bunch of fu-king animals who hold no value for any human life!!!!!!!

Bonnie said:
So in other words freedom of speech doesn't apply when Muslims are involved? I don't know what planet you really come from but if you have missed all the slandering of Christians, Jews, and Catholics, in the free press you must be from Saturn. And yet none of us go around killing an innocent catholic priest and others, destroying property, or demanding hands be cut off in retaliation, what some have done is protest peacefully, which is obviously something many Muslims are incapable of. You want Muslims to be taken seriously then tell them to stop acting like a bunch of fu-king animals who hold no value for any human life!!!!!!!

That just about sums it up for me.

Any questions anybody?

I got the poll information from articles in the New York Times over the past four years. Polls showed broad sympathy and support for the U.S. among Muslim nations after 9/11.

I give up. Couldn't Muslims as easily say "If you want some sympathy from us, then stop acting like animals the animals you were at Abu Ghraib?"

Nearly two dozen Muslims have died in suspicious circumstances in U.S. custody. Investigations are generally stalled. From the Muslim on the street's point of view, what's the difference between an innocent Muslim being starved/frozen/shackled/waterboarded to death in a U.S. facility versus a beheading by an extremist group?

Well of course one difference is that the extremist group neither represents the religion as a whole nor any individual Muslim nation, whereas U.S. interrogations DO represent our nation as a whole.

If you want to condemn Muslim extremism, you should equally condemn deaths in U.S. custody and the severe interrogation techniques that lead to them. Read some of the big investigative pieces that have been published over the past year. One taxi driver--completely innocent--was tortured to death in Afghanistan. That looks the same to Muslims as the beheading of Nick Berg did to us--an innocent killed by a ruthless and uncaring enemy.

Hatred begets hatred. I wish all of you here could let go some hatred. It's bad karma. Love your enemy. I'm giving up on this thread--I've said all I can say.

Peace,

Mariner.

Mariner said:
I got the poll information from articles in the New York Times over the past four years. Polls showed broad sympathy and support for the U.S. among Muslim nations after 9/11.

I give up. Couldn't Muslims as easily say "If you want some sympathy from us, then stop acting like animals the animals you were at Abu Ghraib?"

Nearly two dozen Muslims have died in suspicious circumstances in U.S. custody. Investigations are generally stalled. From the Muslim on the street's point of view, what's the difference between an innocent Muslim being starved/frozen/shackled/waterboarded to death in a U.S. facility versus a beheading by an extremist group?

Well of course one difference is that the extremist group neither represents the religion as a whole nor any individual Muslim nation, whereas U.S. interrogations DO represent our nation as a whole.

If you want to condemn Muslim extremism, you should equally condemn deaths in U.S. custody and the severe interrogation techniques that lead to them. Read some of the big investigative pieces that have been published over the past year. One taxi driver--completely innocent--was tortured to death in Afghanistan. That looks the same to Muslims as the beheading of Nick Berg did to us--an innocent killed by a ruthless and uncaring enemy.

Hatred begets hatred. I wish all of you here could let go some hatred. It's bad karma. Love your enemy. I'm giving up on this thread--I've said all I can say.

Peace,

Mariner.

awesome.

I stopped hating Islamic extremists today.

If that statement seems a bit insincere just let me say it is about as sincere as the Muslim intonation "Islam is a religion of peace!"

Mariner said:

Peace,

Mariner.

You make all these comments as to what really occurred at the military pow camps...what I would like to know is did you ever serve in the military?...what are you basing your comments on...MSN or just a not so educated guess...I would bet my last dollar that while in college you performed much more along the lines of what you accuse others to have done! Please enlighten all of us as to your first hand knlowledge of the events that occurred! Until then shut the hell up! Give proof of your comments or buzz off! el MD for life.... :wtf:

Mariner said:
Look, a religion is a long-lived thing. Therefore it's perfectly ok to use history to compare religions.
Wrong. YOu dont judge a religion by what some or many of its followers do, you judge it by what it preaches. You judge the followers by what they do.

Mariner said:
I agree with everyone that a few Muslims are behaving despicably right now.

You do this all the time. You de emphasize your side, and over emphasize the side you oppose. ITS DECEITFUL. Then when you are called on it, you deny it or ignore it. ITS NOT A FEW, its WORLD FUCKING WIDE!!!

Mariner said:
I don't condone any form of violence except the most extreme self-defence. I believe every person contains God--even the most wicked murderer--and I want to look for that good in that person.

What I'm arguing against is painting the whole religion as "bad."

Mariner said:
When and if we do that, it is based on the writings in the Koran, so get it out and argue from there.
Even Bush himself isn't doing that, and yet his most devoted followers here on USMB are.

Presidents can never be completely open and honest, WE CAN. Dont play that game, you KNOW politics precludes ANY PRESIDENT from being able to speak forthright.
Mariner said:
I don't get it, except that it seems to be satisfying to hate. It may be satisfying, but in my religon it's bad karma. And I seem to recall a profoundly moving passage by this Jesus fellow where he said "Love your enemies."
Read everything he said, not just parts of it.
"I came not to bring peace, but a sword..."

Mariner said:
Which religions were tolerated in the Islamic empire pre-Crusades? Christianity, among others.
Again, you are wayyyyyyyyy off topic.

Mariner said:
(By the way, the Muslims were not tolerant of Hinduism, and destroyed all the Hindu temples in Northern India, which offended their prohibition of worshipping images of God. Just to make the point that I'm no Muslim apologist--I'm just asking people to be fair and not condemn a major world religion--the fastest-growing one--based on the behavior of a few of its most extreme zealots.)

Mariner

How many mistakes can you make in one paragraph. Nobody is claiming ALL muslims are bad. I asked you to show me that quote before, but you ignored it. SHOW ME THE QUOTE. SHOW ME THE QUOTE. And its not just a FEW zealots. GOT IT? Life must be nice in your ivory tower. You are the epitomy of elitists who have no clue of what goes on in the real world. You sit in your ivory tower and read about things and think you actually have answers. Go out and get your fingers dirty once in a while. You need to COMBINE reading with real world experiences. And I dont count having dinner with your gay Harvard grads, a real world experience.

rtwngAvngr said:
Bring Korans!
Mariner, Hobbit didnt characterize muslims that way, the videos tell the story.

Democrat4Bush said:
Mariner,

as a side. You know, if religion hadnt existed in all the early years of mans history, all that violence would have still occured. The most violent regime ever was atheistic Russia.

Man would have been violent, with or witihout religion. VIRTUALLY all of the violence commited in the name of Christianity was committed by people USING Christianity as a tool for their own non religious evil desires.

If you use that as a reason for not believing, then you arent being honest with yourself.

Nuc said:
That's a good idea, if you're actually going to do it. If you're just going to talk about it, then............ :lame2:

maybe we should just draw cartoons of us doing it?

Bonnie said:

QUIT insulting the fu*king animals!

Mariner said:
I got the poll information from articles in the New York Times over the past four years. Polls showed broad sympathy and support for the U.S. among Muslim nations after 9/11.NY TIMES? .
bwhahahhahahhahahahahh, no wonder you have your views.

Mariner said:

Well of course one difference is that the extremist group neither represents the religion as a whole nor any individual Muslim nation, whereas U.S. interrogations DO represent our nation as a whole..
Oh my god. Thats the difference between you and most of us. The difference is the terrorists BEHEADED INNOCENT JOURNALISTS, the american military is dealing with TERRORISTS, enemy combatants. That sir is why you are so whacked, you cant see that difference.
Besides, what you read about abui ghraib is basically made up bullshit.

Mariner said:
If you want to condemn Muslim extremism, you should equally condemn deaths in U.S. custody and the severe interrogation techniques that lead to them. .
WHY? Were the american interogating them for drawing cartoons????!!
JESUS CHRIST DUDE< get fucking real. I really, really cant figure out how your mind can work, ITS FUCKING UNBELIVABLE. You could watch some guy rape a woman at gunpoint, then while trying to escape, the cops catch him and beat him, and you would somehow excuse his behavior and blame it on the cops. UNFUCKING BELIEVABLE. Im done reading your crap. CRAP, pure crap. Your mind is fucking unbelievable crap. Go live your ivory tower life and be miserable condemning the country that has given yo so much, condemn the men and women who go out and put their lifes on the line to protect you from muslims, who, my dear friend, if they got ahold of you would delight in glee to hear your screams of agony as they sawed your head off with a dull blade, and then went in and raped your wife, mother, daughter, sons and goats.

Mariner said:
Read some of the big investigative pieces that have been published over the past year. One taxi driver--completely innocent--was tortured to death in Afghanistan. That looks the same to Muslims as the beheading of Nick Berg did to us--an innocent killed by a ruthless and uncaring enemy.

Peace,

Mariner.
Peace? Dont lie. You dont support peace.

This is one of the few things that really pisses me off. You vile piece of dog excrement. You support terrorists who blow up little children as their INTENDED TARGETS, then you insult the men and women who sacrafice their lives protecting us. you are the lowest, scummiest piece of vile in existence, and unless you change your ways, you are a terrorist sympathizer and I hope all terrorists and their sympathizers rot in hell. Not to mention you ivory tower elitists are a total waste of time trying to discuss things with. you cant distinguish evil from good, truth from lies. Be gone with you.

Forum List

Back