What would you do with the second amendment?

What should be done with the second amendment?

• Repeal it and replace it with an amendment banning all guns in private hands

• Repeal it and give Congress unlimited power over regulating guns, including banning them

• Give States the power to decide what their gun rights and restrictions should be

• Leave it, Congress already regulates guns, but they should not have the power to ban them

• Follow the second amendment and declare most or all current gun regulations Unconstitutional

Results are only viewable after voting.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Could also translate that the States have a right to a Ham Sandwich and the Federal Government doesn't. This is just too vague.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Again, too vague. It can mean that EVERYONE except the Federal Government (when the 10th is applied) must have the right to that Ham Sandwich.

it all depends on whom is doing the interpreting as to the meaning. While it was well written for 1790, it isn't today. It needs to be clarified. And since Congress won't or is incapable, then the Supreme Court has that job.

Actually they are crystal clear to people with higher literacy levels than you evidently possess

Is that the best you can do? Are you telling me that you are about to put an entire industry of Legal Scholars out of work? If only you could.

Yes, they are incompetent, leftist idiots. The 10th says that if the power is not ENUMERATED (a vocabulary word for you to look up) in the Constitution, than it is specifically a power denied the Federal government.

What about that is unclear to you?

And the 9th says that makes them no less of rights than powers specifically withheld from the Federal government in the Bill of Rights and other amendments.

What about that is unclear to you?

Most of what the Federal government does now is Unconstitutional

Then take it up in court. Or take it up in the States. If it's true you do have options. That is, if you are right.

Or you can just take up our time and bitch about it.

Oh stop whining. And yeah, go to the criminals and tell them to decide. Tell me about some times that worked for you

It's not me that's whining. I am stating fixes. You are just whining that nothing works but "More Guns". That has never been the answer. Even in combat, a well trained and disciplined unit will almost always defeat a larger less disciplined unit. The idea is to shoot the enemy not each other.

Disarming honest citizens HELPS criminals, moron. It doesn't harm them

Guy, I don't worry about "Criminals".

I worry about the nut who lives next store having a bad day and shooting randomly...

which has actually happened. My next door neighbor, shot his gun into the parking lot of my condo complex, shattering his patio window. The cops didn't take his gun, and a couple weeks later, he shot himself with it.

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a resident than a bad guy.

How about some practical solutions at lower cost, instead of nothing but repeal, Right Wingers.
Investigate SSRI antidepressants. There is a start.

Your only solution is ban and confiscation because the neccesity of reguness of wellneration of the whole peoplitia is declared not infringed.

Let's get to the end game. What should the Constitution say, if anything, about guns and what power should the Federal government have to regulate them?
Shall not be infringe is pretty damn specific.
So is the "well regulated militia".
But then there's the coma, as in a pause, then "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." that's a pretty clear statement. Then there is also the subsequent writings and such from the framers of the Constitution that confirm the peoples rights.

We have a Second Amendment and should have no security problems.
The 2nd Amendment has magical powers to prevent security issues. Praise Odin.
Or you can wait the National average of 11 minutes for a police response and become a statistic. I think I'd rather exercise my Constitutional right and defend me and mine without waiting for the police.

we need:
_10 percent tax on all firearms sales
_federal age of gun ownership raised to 21
_more mental health spending...the shooter at Sante Fe and Stoneman Dougman needed help

Nothing (first choice). Second choice, let’s have an exercise between the first Army and gun owners. Hopefully the owners will see the silliness of the “we have to defend ourselves against the gubberment” when they are rolled up in about 10 mins; this rendering the 2nd Amendment null and void
I'm pretty sure the majority of the Military will refuse to follow an unlawful order to disarm US citizens exercising their constitutional right to bear arms. I know I would have when i served,
This is a lie.

No one is talking about ‘disarming’ anyone.

The point is this: the notion that private citizens armed only with semi-automatic weapons could ‘overthrow’ a government some have incorrectly and subjectively perceive to have become ‘tyrannical’ is idiocy, rendering the ‘argument’ that citizens have a right to possess firearms to ‘fight tyranny’ completely devoid of merit.

That’s why the Heller Court found that the Second Amendment enshrines an individual right, unconnected with militia service, acknowledging the fact that ‘the militia’ have become an anachronism

The ‘Red Dawn’ fantasy is as ridiculous as is wrong.

And the military would indeed follow the lawful order of putting down a lawless insurrection instigated by armed citizens who have incorrectly and subjectively perceived the government to have become ‘tyrannical,’ a government put into place reflecting the will of the majority of the people.

Nothing (first choice). Second choice, let’s have an exercise between the first Army and gun owners. Hopefully the owners will see the silliness of the “we have to defend ourselves against the gubberment” when they are rolled up in about 10 mins; this rendering the 2nd Amendment null and void
I'm pretty sure the majority of the Military will refuse to follow an unlawful order to disarm US citizens exercising their constitutional right to bear arms. I know I would have when i served,

I'm fairly sure under the PA , where only the executive branch dictates martial law , that the military can be ordered to do exactly that.

It's not a pretty thought, and i can image troops being torn over having to do so w/o any good reason

Unfortunate such laws exist that literally fly in the face of constitutionality

~S~
Actually not.

The Supreme Court ruled long ago as to the criteria by which martial law is justified, warranted, and Constitutional – the PA meets none of those criteria (see Ex parte Milligan (1866)).

As long as the courts in a given jurisdiction are functioning, martial law cannot be Constitutionally declared – and in this age of wireless communications, teleconferencing, Skype, and the like, martial law will clearly never occur.

The US Government needs a list of all gun owners and the weapons they have.

It is the only way we can form well regulated militias

Yes, well we on the right believe that we need to have positive identification of everybody voting, and you on the left insist it's government intrusion, racism and voter oppression.
We do have identification

A signature

View attachment 194587
It is easier to fake a photo ID than a signature
Such is the reprehensible right: conservatives have no problem placing an undue and un-Constitutional burden on the right to vote.

all these shooters, like the shooter from Stoneman Dougman, comes from broken homes. what causes these broken homes? LEFTIST POLICIES!

there has been an estimated 1 million uses of guns in self-defense in the United States. THE LEFT doesn't report it.

firearms provide the opportunity for someone who is physically weak to defend themselves who couldn't do it otherwise.

we should arm teachers. we shouldn't get rid of bump stocks. after that they'll ban assault weapons. then shotguns etc etc

politicians are bought & paid for by Planned Parenthood just like they're bought & paid for by the NRA! so stop comparing defenders of the 2nd amendment to Nazis. STOP IT!

This is a lie.

The point is this: the notion that private citizens armed only with semi-automatic weapons could ‘overthrow’ a government some have incorrectly and subjectively perceive to have become ‘tyrannical’ is idiocy, rendering the ‘argument’ that citizens have a right to possess firearms to ‘fight tyranny’ completely devoid of merit.

That’s why the Heller Court found that the Second Amendment enshrines an individual right, unconnected with militia service, acknowledging the fact that ‘the militia’ have become an anachronism

And the military would indeed follow the lawful order of putting down a lawless insurrection instigated by armed citizens who have incorrectly and subjectively perceived the government to have become ‘tyrannical,’ a government put into place reflecting the will of the majority of the people.
Nothing in this reply is factual, correct, or even born of a tenacious grasp of reality.

This is a lie.

Nothing in this reply is factual, correct, or even born of a tenacious grasp of reality.

Well, the key part of my response to the OP was "hopefully the owners will see the silliness of the "we have to defend ourselves against...." nonsense. Because I think a great many of them buy the NRA talking points and regurgitate them without giving their veracity a second thought.

You saw this after Sandyhook when they laughably blamed video games and movies for school shootings when the same games and movies are sold world wide. Thankfully and predictably, they've moved away from that hysteria and are now trying to blame over the counter drugs for massacres. In a few months, they will blame daylights savings time or the Hawaii volcanoes; anything except too many guns in the hands of too many persons who are not responsible gun owners.

Why do you think it is that those on the side of evil are so determined to remove the right of good people to have the means to protect themselves from them?

Because your solution is worse than the problem.

We have 33,000 gun deaths a year in this country. 21,000 of them are suicides. Most of the rest are domestic violence and accidents that wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a gun in the home.

And that isn't even getting into the 70,000 gun injuries that happen every year.

Or the $270,000,000,000 that gun violence costs the economy in lost productivity and medical bills.

Other countries where they ban or limit private gun ownership don't have things like school shootings.

Seems pretty straightforward. Let's follow that, to the letter. Thus, every U.S. citizen (man, woman, child), should have unfettered access to every and all arms, including fully automatic weapons of all calibers, R.P.G.'s, etc.. This also means that things such as being a released felon with a history of violent crimes does not disqualify you from owning whatever arm you desire. Same goes for U.S. citizens who are Muslim and have expressed sympathy and understanding for jihadists. Also, the mentally ill must have full access.

You just like to make shit up don't you.
What am I making up? If we are saying the 2nd is clear cut, then it is clear cut. The right to bear arm will NOT be infringed. Period. End of story. We cannot use the strict interpretation of the 2nd as rationale for not having to register guns, not being able to buy whatever guns we want, etc., but then ignore it when it comes to things like felons, the mentally ill, Muslim nutjobs, etc..

RPGs? Felons with violent crime history, what you are making up is the zero sum game. No one is proposing that those things happen and don't give me any of that childish nonsense that I have to have one or the other. it's a lie. Period.
That is my point. I am addressing the people, including the ones on this very thread, who are making their argument for NO gun regulations based on a 100% strict interpretation of the wording of the 2nd. If you have a problem, address it with them.

The US Government needs a list of all gun owners and the weapons they have.

It is the only way we can form well regulated militias

Yes, well we on the right believe that we need to have positive identification of everybody voting, and you on the left insist it's government intrusion, racism and voter oppression.
We do have identification

A signature

View attachment 194587
It is easier to fake a photo ID than a signature
Such is the reprehensible right: conservatives have no problem placing an undue and un-Constitutional burden on the right to vote.
Anyone can buy a fake ID
Creating an accurate, spontaneous signature is extremely difficult

Forum List

Back