What you Prefer Big Dogs or Little Dogs?

ScorpioRising007

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2015
What do you prefer owning big dogs or little dogs?

I grew up with big dogs and do tend just to prefer them over smaller dogs. My wife on the other hand actually prefers the smaller size dogs, she says they are a lot cuter and adorable. Her favorite dog is the French Bulldog. I prefer Pitbulls, Labradors, Collies, German Shepherd Mixes, Dobermans, Great Danes, Mastiffs. A couple years ago she gave into me and decided our best option was a pitbull mix to adopt from a humane society. Her French Bulldog puppies she wanted breeders were charging like $3,000 - $5,000 just for a puppy and at the time I thought it was just a huge ripoff compared to adopting a dog from an animal shelter or getting just a larger breed of dog. I have had big dogs all my life. A 100 lb Collie mix from a shelter, a 65 lb pure bred AKC Collie, a very muscular 100+ lb Black Lab/ Mastiff Mix from the Humane Society, and now a 60 lb pitbull mix. The Black lab/ Mastiff Mix was probably the biggest dog, standing 6+ feet on his hind legs. He also had the biggest appetite and a very deep baritone bark, probably the friendliest and most gentle dog out of all the ones I have own.

I just seem to prefer larger dogs.

What are your preferences?

I am a fan of big dogs. I have loved them since we had a golden retriever when I was a kid.

I am not anti-little dogs. I just feel like I will kick or step on them. I have size 14 feet.

I grew up with big dogs and do tend just to prefer them over smaller dogs. My wife on the other hand actually prefers the smaller size dogs, she says they are a lot cuter and adorable. Her favorite dog is the French Bulldog. I prefer Pitbulls, Labradors, Collies, German Shepherd Mixes, Dobermans, Great Danes, Mastiffs. A couple years ago she gave into me and decided our best option was a pitbull mix to adopt from a humane society. Her French Bulldog puppies she wanted breeders were charging like $3,000 - $5,000 just for a puppy and at the time I thought it was just a huge ripoff compared to adopting a dog from an animal shelter or getting just a larger breed of dog. I have had big dogs all my life. A 100 lb Collie mix from a shelter, a 65 lb pure bred AKC Collie, a very muscular 100+ lb Black Lab/ Mastiff Mix from the Humane Society, and now a 60 lb pitbull mix. The Black lab/ Mastiff Mix was probably the biggest dog, standing 6+ feet on his hind legs. He also had the biggest appetite and a very deep baritone bark, probably the friendliest and most gentle dog out of all the ones I have own.

The little ones are just so cute, like this lil one in the vid below is guaranteed to steal ones heart... & NEVER give it back!

Ours is a midsize dog.
A mini Aussie Shepherd at 30 lbs.
20240526_191309.jpg

Boat dog.
20230708_125326.jpg

Last edited:

I live on a mountain, so big dogs have a chance of survival against the wild critters up here.

Small dogs are merely snacks.

Ours is a midsize dog.
A mini Aussie Shepherd at 30 lbs.
View attachment 970360
Boat dog.View attachment 970361

My Aussie must be a toy. The second I've had of this breed. Little dogs with huge hearts. I saw my other one chase a pit mix away, and put some other big dogs on the ground. The one I have now is not socialized so I don't give her the chance, but she does run the fence pretty fearlessly with the pits next door.

Yours is a beauty, petro!

My brother used to call my toy Aussie "Bear Bait".

Our Aussie isn't afraid to correct bigger dogs.
Here he is with a couple of his big brothers that will be moving here in August when the wife's daughter will stay with us for a while.
20231216_112354.jpg
20211225_152702.jpg

They are all best buds, but the little one has snapped at them if they get too rambunctious. One is a German Shepherd and the other is a Pitsky.
The house is gonna get a little wild.

Forum List

Back