What's An Acceptable Number Of Innocent People Being Executed?

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of Texas.

From what I've seen there have been 12 people released from Death Row in Texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now ASSUMING that EVERY ONE of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

So what say you? Is more than 1 out of 100 "mistakes" an acceptable number? Would that be considered "collateral damage"?

State by State Database | Death Penalty Information Center

DA who convicted man freed from death row:

NCADP Affiliate: Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty

There is zero evidence an innocent person has been executed in the States in the last however long.

But to answer your question? Anyone duly convicted and afforded all their appeals that gets executed received due process. Anyone put to death under those circumstances is fine with me.

Many on death row have been exonerated, so how can you make such a statement?

As many as possible who commit intentional premeditated murder. I still prefer the bringing back of public hangings. I think it would send a psychological warning to blacks who are thinking about murdering whites since lately we are seeing massive black on white crimes.

You support public hangings and Palin? You just sound like a bundle of joy..:lol:

this thread as i read it was posted

> What's An Acceptable Number Of Innocent People Being Executed?

that was the of intention of the O P
some half wit highjacked it to start a rant about rick perry

its easy keep to the original question
go take your perry hating to another thread

If you cannot see the relation of the governor of Texas to capital punishment, you should not be on these boards. Go to an entertainment or sports board.

You are aware that all the Governor of Texas can do is delay an execution by 30 days? As I understand it he has no authority to commute sentences. Further in the current death row case he was not IN the State, it would have been up to the Lt. Governor to delay the sentence.

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of Texas.

From what I've seen there have been 12 people released from Death Row in Texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now ASSUMING that EVERY ONE of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

So what say you? Is more than 1 out of 100 "mistakes" an acceptable number? Would that be considered "collateral damage"?

State by State Database | Death Penalty Information Center

DA who convicted man freed from death row:

NCADP Affiliate: Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty

There is zero evidence an innocent person has been executed in the States in the last however long.

But to answer your question? Anyone duly convicted and afforded all their appeals that gets executed received due process. Anyone put to death under those circumstances is fine with me.

Provide evidence an innocent person was put to death in the last 40 years. Or admit you have nothing but supposition.

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty?

<snip>

Zero.
Persons found innocent should not be on death row.

To extrapolate...persons found guilty spend an average of 15 + years on death row before execution.

The reason behind this is it takes so darn long for the appeals process to work through the legal system. The 6% exonerated, were released due to technicalities, not that they were proved innocent.

Currently approximately 3200 people are on death row.

I mostly feel bad for the families whose lives have been ruined and are waiting for closure.

How do you know no innocent person has ever been executed?

Surely you don&#8217;t expect a District Attorney to make a public admission that exculpatory evidence was lost or never given to defending counsel. Especially since D.A.s ride their death penalty cases all the way to a Governor&#8217;s Mansion or a Senate Seat. Or what about our out-of-control judicial system burdened with ridiculous mandatory sentencing guidelines and a different set of rules for each case, each State and each offender. Not to mention the men in blue who&#8217;d rather play pin the tail on the most likely suspect and then make sure the evidence fits. As children we all thought cops never lied, well we&#8217;re all grown up now and know that's a lie.

How about those who deal with the science of crime? Mishandled and mislabeled evidence has been presented at trial as fact. Reports have been embellished with terms like &#8220;exact&#8221; rather than &#8220;comparative&#8221;. And juries believe if someone has been arrested for a crime, they more than likely committed it. A far cry from the original intent of the Bill of Rights when it comes to the rights of a citizen who has been accused of a crime and the duty of the State to make absolutely sure those rights have not been violated.

Even after it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt before another judicial authority, an Appellate or District Court, that the defendant was wrongfully convicted, all who were involved with that conviction seem willing to go to their graves proclaiming that they had the right man and everyone else is wrong.

No one can state unequivocally that never in the history of the death penalty in these United States that an innocent person has not been put to death. Unless of course you believe humans are infallible. Since we knowingly and sometimes with malice aforethought lie, especially when our best interests are at stake; we know this also to be untrue. Yet the worse offenders have a stubborn unwillingness to admit their errors whether in judgment or character. And when such gross misconduct is openly supported by any government, don't expect justice or truth.

Since the advent of DNA and other modern criminal detection and investigative techniques, and the subsequent release of many wrongfully convicted from death row, many American-eyes have been opened to the reality that we could be executing innocent people. This truth is slowly but finally bringing many to their senses about how wide is the disparity between what they have been told is the truth about the death penalty and the truth about the death penalty.

As for me, I've never supported the death penalty. For many of the reasons stated above. However, I also find it incomprehensible that any people in a free society don't have a problem giving the State power over life or death. They should because if there is one thing this Government doesn't give a damn about it's an American life. And if you have any doubts about that all you need do is look at what the government has done to the American people in just the last 10 or so years.

Last edited:

If you cannot see the relation of the governor of Texas to capital punishment, you should not be on these boards. Go to an entertainment or sports board.

You are aware that all the Governor of Texas can do is delay an execution by 30 days? As I understand it he has no authority to commute sentences. Further in the current death row case he was not IN the State, it would have been up to the Lt. Governor to delay the sentence.

Look at his stance of capital punishment. He belongs on this page.

Provide evidence an innocent person was put to death in the last 40 years. Or admit you have nothing but supposition.

We would have to have DNA evidence on everyone executed in the past 40 years in order to prove anything either way. If these people who were exonerated were executed immediately, as some people want, they all would have been innocent people who were executed. Now, give me your evidence that no innocent person has been executed.

We would have to have DNA evidence on everyone executed in the past 40 years in order to prove anything either way. If these people who were exonerated were executed immediately, as some people want, they all would have been innocent people who were executed. Now, give me your evidence that no innocent person has been executed.

I don't have to prove a negative. You made a claim substantiate it.

I also find it incomprehensible that any people in a free society don't have a problem giving the State power over life or death. .

So, you don't want the police to have guns? You don't want a military defending the nation?

I also find it incomprehensible that any people in a free society don't have a problem giving the State power over life or death. .

So, you don't want the police to have guns? You don't want a military defending the nation?

Did he SAY that? Why are all you right wingers only capable of polarized arguments? ALL or NONE, BLACK or WHITE? It is an epidemic of ignorance...

my answer is ZERO....that's the only acceptable number! Because if 1 were the acceptable number and that 1, was my hubby or my sister or my mom or dad or me.....it would be unacceptable....and i follow the Golden Rule of doing unto others as i would want them to do unto me!

I didn't read this thread from page 1...too fucking long. But I agree with Care4all...and my answer to the OP's question....Zero!

What about Obama and his relationship to it? He has the power to commute the sentence of anyone in any prison in the US. How often has he stopped them?

What about Obama and his relationship to it? He has the power to commute the sentence of anyone in any prison in the US. How often has he stopped them?

If you want to talk about Obama, we will talk about Obama, but do not use that as a deflestion away from Rick Perry.

Forum List

Back