What's An Acceptable Number Of Innocent People Being Executed?

Let's just put all the BS to rest, shall we?

Rick Perry had an innocent man executed, and should be made to answer

"...Not only did Governor Perry deny Willingham’s appeal for clemency even though an expert arson investigator had rebutted all the solid evidence in the case, Perry fired investigators who were about to provide Willingham’s innocence."
Perry: Willingham

Daily Kos: Rick Perry had an innocent man executed, and should be made to answer

Bottom line: Essentially we've got a re-tread of the Shrub with an ability to actually give a coherent speech...Jeezus, do we have to go through this again?

Perry did not have an innocent man executed. The FACTS state otherwise....or did you not read the links I provided. The state of Texas tried the man, and proved he was guilty, After that all of his appeals failed, including his appeal to the Supreme Court of the United States. That made his execution inevitable under Texas law unless the board of Pardons and Paroles recommended clemency. Since they never did Perry could not have prevented it if he wanted to.

Once again, you live up to your screen name. If you had bothered to actually READ the information provided, you would have noted that EVIDENCE WAS WITHHELD in the case....evidence that would have kept the man from being executed for a crime he didn't commit. THAT is what was coming out of the review of the case, and THAT is why Perry REPLACED all pertinent people in that review process in order to maintain the legitimacy of his signing off on that execution. Oh, and PLEASE do some decent research, as it's pretty common knowledge that the Governor of Texas HAS THE FINAL SAY ON ALL STATE EXECUTIONS BY GRANTING A 30 DAY "STAY" PERIOD. Perry did no such thing in this case.

If you want to go after him at least go after him for what he did, which was work to hide the facts that would have proven the state was wrong. I really hate it when idiots force me to defend politicians.

:lol: It cracks me up when blowhard neocon know-it-alls shoot off their mouths based on half truths, beliefs and willful ignorance. If this Quantumly stupid Windbag actually read the links, he would have known that I am indeed going after Perry ON BOTH COUNTS.

But what else can one expect from a Quantum Windbag?

My understanding is that Perry had nothing to do with the arrest, prosecution, the evidence, voir dire, depos, witnesses, examinations & crosses, summations, determining verdict or deciding on punishment. Also, I believe he is not even allowed to reverse a death penalty decision unless some board recommends it and sends it to him for approval.
Other than that, it was all his fault...

What's an acceptable number of horrific crimes comitted by monsters before you consider the death penalty? We know for sure that life in prison doesn't mean life and we know there is no such thing as "hard labor" and there are monsters who may be turned loose on society someday. We trust the best judicial system in the world when they say that more innocent people died in Teddy Kennedy's car.
To think that there has never been an innocent person executed is a bit ridiculous. As of 2005, there have been 14 death row inmates freed by DNA evidence. It's estimated there have been over 15,000 people executed in the US and there over 3,000 on death row now . If you believe they are all guilty you have a lot of faith in an incredibly flawed system.

The bad DNA from a spit sample in a ski mask exonerated a half wit who's crime partner described the murder he confessed to? OK

:lol: It cracks me up when blowhard neocon know-it-alls shoot off their mouths based on half truths, beliefs and willful ignorance. If this Quantumly stupid Windbag actually read the links, he would have known that I am indeed going after Perry ON BOTH COUNTS.

You were talking about clemency, and I pointed out Perry doesn't have the power to grant it without a recommendation. What half truths am I using?

Are you saying the Governor cannot stay an execution in Texas? I think you're incorrect about that.

The governor can issue a single 30 day stay of execution. That will not prevent an execution, which means he cannot stop it even if he wants to. Most of the executive power in Texas lies with the bureaucracy, not the governor.

The stay of execution gives the defense time to get a review....if they have enough evidence to raise reasonable doubt, the death penalty can be lifted, and a full court review can be enacted.

Perry has only issued 4 stays during his signing off on those 200 some odd executions. And given the FACT that Perry REPLACED the review people when it looked like a major fuck up killed a man, I dare say the Teabagger Golden Boy has lost his sheen.

The defense cannot raise reasonable doubt on appeal, all they can do is point out procedural errors in the trial record. The review by the FSC would not have discovered any new evidence because all the pertinent evidence was already known. That evidence was actually brought out by the Project Innocence, and had been brought to the attention of the court. The court decided it did not merit a new trial.

Feel free to blame Perry for what he did, which was to replace the members of the SFC so that they would not issue a finding of negligence. Do not blame him for the fact that the court decided not to grant the appeal.

Didn't you just post something about half truths and idiots?

You were talking about clemency, and I pointed out Perry doesn't have the power to grant it without a recommendation. What half truths am I using?

My brother in law got a recommendation for a good job once.
Miracles do happen.
Anyone can make any recommendation for clemency.
POLITICS.

this thread as i read it was posted

> What's An Acceptable Number Of Innocent People Being Executed?

that was the of intention of the O P
some half wit highjacked it to start a rant about rick perry

its easy keep to the original question
go take your perry hating to another thread

What's an acceptable number of horrific crimes comitted by monsters before you consider the death penalty? We know for sure that life in prison doesn't mean life and we know there is no such thing as "hard labor" and there are monsters who may be turned loose on society someday. We trust the best judicial system in the world when they say that more innocent people died in Teddy Kennedy's car.
To think that there has never been an innocent person executed is a bit ridiculous. As of 2005, there have been 14 death row inmates freed by DNA evidence. It's estimated there have been over 15,000 people executed in the US and there over 3,000 on death row now . If you believe they are all guilty you have a lot of faith in an incredibly flawed system.

The bad DNA from a spit sample in a ski mask exonerated a half wit who's crime partner described the murder he confessed to? OK
What case are you talking about?

We can't trust government to control spending, levy equitable taxes, or control our boarders, yet we trust them to decide which citizens are to be killed.

• Thanks
Reactions: idb
If you live in a representative democracy and you think of government as "them," you are missing the point and probably don't deserve what you take for granted.

U advocating anarchy?

We don't have the death penalty but I'd suggest that we're a long way from anarchy.

Then you DO trust your government to do all those other things?

I'm pretty sure that Flopper was being ironic but yes, they are seen as governmental roles.
I'm not sure who else you would give them to.
If we aren't happy with their performance we have a system to register our collective displeasure known in our local vernacular as an election.

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of Texas.

From what I've seen there have been 12 people released from Death Row in Texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now ASSUMING that EVERY ONE of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

So what say you? Is more than 1 out of 100 "mistakes" an acceptable number? Would that be considered "collateral damage"?

State by State Database | Death Penalty Information Center

DA who convicted man freed from death row:

NCADP Affiliate: Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty

There is zero evidence an innocent person has been executed in the States in the last however long.

But to answer your question? Anyone duly convicted and afforded all their appeals that gets executed received due process. Anyone put to death under those circumstances is fine with me.

this thread as i read it was posted

> What's An Acceptable Number Of Innocent People Being Executed?

that was the of intention of the O P
some half wit highjacked it to start a rant about rick perry

its easy keep to the original question
go take your perry hating to another thread

If you cannot see the relation of the governor of Texas to capital punishment, you should not be on these boards. Go to an entertainment or sports board.

Forum List

Back