When did the Republican Party become the party that hates authority???

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Since when did the GOP and right wing become the anti-authority party? I remember in my 20's, the GOP was the "Law and Order" party. Yes sir-eee, they were the party of law, order, manners, men in uniform, and they'd be damned if some pot smokin', cop hating hippies would ever run this glorious country.

They were the party that loved the military. That held cops in high esteem. That believed our public schools were a place of discipline and order. They were the party that believed in social standards. And order. And if you grew up without it, the school, or the mayor, or the sheriff, or your football coach, or your neighbor would give you what your daddy was too scared to: Discipline and some manners.

WHERE IN THE HELL DID THAT GOP GO????? Its turned into a bunch of radical, government hating rednecks who are talking about building survivalist fortresses in Idaho, who are bashing teachers, cops, firemen, and saying public schools are the work of the devil hahaha!!!!

The anti-government antics of the 60's radicals, that the GOP used to look down on, are now the norm for the right wing, with the far right beginning to look more and more like the anti-govt 60's radicals by the day.

I dont know when this anti-government shift in the GOP happened. Some say it was on or around....say....01/20/2009. I dont know. But it is sad, scary, and yes, dangerous.

Since when did the GOP and right wing become the anti-authority party?

When the authority became the purveyors of entitlement and fundamentally changing the nation.

My memories of that GOP were from the 80's and 90's. Entitlements existed long before that, and the GOP pro-authority culture was thriving back then.

SS, Medicare, Medicaid are soaring NOT because of some entitlement culture, but, more because of an obesity epedemic that is causing a shitload of other diseases, AND because people are living longer (medicine, baby boomers).

We went into two massive wars that have gone on for a decade each. That shit, right or wrong, costed a lot. War is not an entitlement, it is a tragedy.

Both of the above fundamentally changed the nation. The GOP birthed Homeland Security, so it's not all liberal lefties doing it.

This issue is far more complex than the typical Fox News mantra "Less government good, more taxes baaaad (in a deep Southern accent)".

When the authority became the purveyors of entitlement and fundamentally changing the nation.

Yep, when the government went from just an arbiter between people and states, and when it decided we have to pay for all this non consitutional crap at the federal level, the government left its consitutional limits, and hasnt been back since.

The military is just fine and doing it jobs. Most police are fine too. But police in big cities have become paramilitary groups, with perks that the "common folk" just dont need (according to the same police people).

Yep, when the government went from just an arbiter between people and states, and when it decided we have to pay for all this non consitutional crap at the federal level, the government left its consitutional limits, and hasnt been back since.

The military is just fine and doing it jobs. Most police are fine too. But police in big cities have become paramilitary groups, with perks that the "common folk" just dont need (according to the same police people).

Are you serious? The military gets FAR MORE "perks" than any cop could dream of!!!

You pay for their off base housing. Yep. Our local Air Force guys get about $800 a month for their apartments. In fact, I know 3 that share a 1bdrm apt with 2 cots so they rack up the extra money. THey get free food. They get 100% free healthcare. And thats not for combat troops. Thats for cooks, dentists, gym attendants, mechanics. Guys who see less combat than the common Chicago street thug. They are underpaid in salary (especially enlisted). But they get a LOT of perks the rest of us dont get.

Are you ok with paying rent for Air Force guys who will never leave the country, much less ever be in combat?

Our military is very fierce, deadly, effective. But they are BLOATED with excess spending. Powerful and dominant? Yes. Efficient? They are about as inefficient as any organization in the country.

As for the police being "paramilitary", yes, they are. Before the 80's trend of "community policing", the cops were much more paramilitary. In fact, the whole purpose of the police historically has been to relieve the military of domestic responsibilities. You know, historically, most countries have used their military as domestic police. Having exclusively separate military-police for foreign-domestic duty is quite unique.

There is a world of difference between respecting authority and respecting tyranny.

Of course, we should follow our laws, but funny that so many on both sides have ignored our immigration laws. That is plain wrong. I don't want to obey Obamacare laws because I think that whole thing is a pile of shit.

Obama thumbs his nose at our immigration laws, like many before him. He doesn't care that California is openly breaking the law with their sanctuary cities. Yet, he wants us to obey Obamacare's oppressive laws or risk fines or jail.

Our immigration laws are fair. Obamacare is a travesty.

There is a world of difference between respecting authority and respecting tyranny.

Of course, we should follow our laws, but funny that so many on both sides have ignored our immigration laws. That is plain wrong. I don't want to obey Obamacare laws because I think that whole thing is a pile of shit.

Obama thumbs his nose at our immigration laws, like many before him. He doesn't care that California is openly breaking the law with their sanctuary cities. Yet, he wants us to obey Obamacare's oppressive laws or risk fines or jail.

I agree with that.

I will say, however, that I have a person who is extremely dear and close to me who has early Huntington's Disease. She couldnt get health insurance b/c it was a "pre existing" condition. But with HD, the disease allows you 10-15 years of functioning life in your 30's before you progress so bad you cant work or drive, and eventually, die. Tragic, horrible disease.

So, people with HD usually have to either A) Stop working and fight for disability status, or B) Work and live as normal a life as they can with the years they have, but, be uninsured and risk huge debt

Its the most tragic thing I've ever witnessed in my life. Obamacare, for all its problems, allows her to work and get insurance, and enjoy the next 8-10 good years she has left until she likely dies in her late 40's (Stanford University is hard charging at a cure, and possibly has broken one that is possible within the next 5 years, PRAY they find it!!!!)

Since when did the GOP and right wing become the anti-authority party? I remember in my 20's, the GOP was the "Law and Order" party. Yes sir-eee, they were the party of law, order, manners, men in uniform, and they'd be damned if some pot smokin', cop hating hippies would ever run this glorious country.

They were the party that loved the military. That held cops in high esteem. That believed our public schools were a place of discipline and order. They were the party that believed in social standards. And order. And if you grew up without it, the school, or the mayor, or the sheriff, or your football coach, or your neighbor would give you what your daddy was too scared to: Discipline and some manners.

WHERE IN THE HELL DID THAT GOP GO????? Its turned into a bunch of radical, government hating rednecks who are talking about building survivalist fortresses in Idaho, who are bashing teachers, cops, firemen, and saying public schools are the work of the devil hahaha!!!!

The anti-government antics of the 60's radicals, that the GOP used to look down on, are now the norm for the right wing, with the far right beginning to look more and more like the anti-govt 60's radicals by the day.

I dont know when this anti-government shift in the GOP happened. Some say it was on or around....say....01/20/2009. I dont know. But it is sad, scary, and yes, dangerous.

It’s more the Party that hates common sense and sound, responsible governance.

When Obama became president.

they had no problem with Bush's authority. He did not have to veto any of their bills.

I agree with that.

I will say, however, that I have a person who is extremely dear and close to me who has early Huntington's Disease. She couldnt get health insurance b/c it was a "pre existing" condition. But with HD, the disease allows you 10-15 years of functioning life in your 30's before you progress so bad you cant work or drive, and eventually, die. Tragic, horrible disease.

So, people with HD usually have to either A) Stop working and fight for disability status, or B) Work and live as normal a life as they can with the years they have, but, be uninsured and risk huge debt

Its the most tragic thing I've ever witnessed in my life. Obamacare, for all its problems, allows her to work and get insurance, and enjoy the next 8-10 good years she has left until she likely dies in her late 40's (Stanford University is hard charging at a cure, and possibly has broken one that is possible within the next 5 years, PRAY they find it!!!!)

I hate to be cruel, but we are going to fund her ability to get health insurance by breaking our existing health insurance system. At that point progressives will call for national health care, our taxes will go up, and going to the doctor will be like going to the DMV. At that point your friend MAY get to see a doctor, after waiting X amount of months. Of course, the Rich will have thier own healthcare system, and most of the better doctors will work there.

So everyone else gets screwed over, the well off do just fine, and even though my healthcare is just peachy right now, I get the shaft. Too poor to be in the rich person system, and taxed more than I used to pay for my own insurance, because now I have to support all the poor people now in the system.

its harsh, but thats life.

It’s more the Party that hates common sense and sound, responsible governance.

Having a federal level government agency figure out what local school kids should eat for lunch is nowhere near sound responsible governence.

It managed to get to the highest level of government in Reagan's days when it took the position that government wasn't the solution and was the problem. Reagan went on to prove that government was the problem with him running it. He tripled the national debt, bought a bunch of military programs that became mothballed, never serving our national defense needs and turned his back on the American people.

What you are seeing is the blossom of how the modern conservative fusion bears fruit. They bred themselves with anarchists in the mid-50s and with the help of the Koch Bros., whose dad help start the John Birch Society, they are finally able to show their influence throughout the party level. These anarchists are still a minority, but the Republican establishment is afraid to keep them in check.

It managed to get to the highest level of government in Reagan's days when it took the position that government wasn't the solution and was the problem. Reagan went on to prove that government was the problem with him running it. He tripled the national debt, bought a bunch of military programs that became mothballed, never serving our national defense needs and turned his back on the American people.

What you are seeing is the blossom of how the modern conservative fusion bears fruit. They bred themselves with anarchists in the mid-50s and with the help of the Koch Bros., whose dad help start the John Birch Society, they are finally able to show their influence throughout the party level. These anarchists are still a minority, but the Republican establishment is afraid to keep them in check.

He also forced the soviet economy to try to match ours due to thier need to increase defense spending, crippling it and leading to the end of the Cold War.

People in Eastern Europe LOVE the man.

He also forced the soviet economy to try to match ours due to thier need to increase defense spending, crippling it and leading to the end of the Cold War.

Reagan took the mobile out of the MX program making silos that didn't exist in the future, where they would exist if they were mobile. Reagan blew money on his 600 ship navy instead of spending it on quality that would have lasted instead of quantity that didn't. Reagan support the B1 bomber and continued to support it even though the B-2 bomber was being developed secretly. The B1 bomber is mothballed and we use the B-2, so it was just wasting money to continue supporting the B-1 once he became President. Why not spend the money getting more B-2s?

It's a myth that Reagan ended the Cold War with his reckless military spending that amounted to nothing for our strategic defenses. The only program that came out of the Reagan days was that V-22 Osprey (the Marine killer), which was one of the most overfunded, over-budget military programs in history. They should have funded a program to develop a vertical take off and land jet transport, instead of that dinosaur.

:cuckoo:

When did Republicans reduce the size of government entitlements???? Campaign Retoric is not reality!!! Nationalizing Banks does not reduce government. Saddeling us with "Homeland Security" exploded the size of government spending. Alan Greenspan & David Walker Called Out Republicans For Exploding Entitlement Spending.

Obama & Democrats have reduced the size of government spending percent of GDP just like Clinton did.

8249044743_c2d3daab56_z.jpg

Gee, a retrospect from a leftie who's last cognizant memory was 1985. I am old enough to remember when lefties spit on members of the Military and called Police officers,"pigs". The democrat party hasn't matured much further than it's mid century segregationist days or it's flirtation with anarchy with Bill Ayers and his terrorist wife treated like folk heroes. Put the freaking attorney general in jail if you lefties want to show that your gun control issues are legitimate and not just political theater. Call for the trial and capital punishment for Major Nidal, the terrorist jihad monster who shot and killed 13 of his own men and left 30 other Soldiers wounded.

OP- The dupes are told Obama is a cunning tyrant, and an incompetent pussy...and believe both. They're pathetic fools.

Reagan took the mobile out of the MX program making silos that didn't exist in the future, where they would exist if they were mobile. Reagan blew money on his 600 ship navy instead of spending it on quality that would have lasted instead of quantity that didn't. Reagan support the B1 bomber and continued to support it even though the B-2 bomber was being developed secretly. The B1 bomber is mothballed and we use the B-2, so it was just wasting money to continue supporting the B-1 once he became President. Why not spend the money getting more B-2s?

It's a myth that Reagan ended the Cold War with his reckless military spending that amounted to nothing for our strategic defenses. The only program that came out of the Reagan days was that V-22 Osprey (the Marine killer), which was one of the most overfunded, over-budget military programs in history. They should have funded a program to develop a vertical take off and land jet transport, instead of that dinosaur.

The B-1 was designed for low level penetration of soviet airspace... of course its no longer used. We would kill for a 600 ship navy, and quality doesnt matter if your ships are spread out all over the damn place. The Marines right now love the Osprey, and something that was such a technological leap was bound to have growing pains.

Just because you dont like the guy doesnt mean you have to make crap up about him

I also see you turned your rep off. What size is your pink tutu now?

Forum List

Back