When I was a kid, it was Russia's "Sputnik" that changed education in the United States

R

rdean

How Sputnik changed U.S. education

The post-Sputnik reforms were put in the hands of scientists, much to the dismay of some educators and concerned citizens who had previously had enormous input on curriculum design. Several of the changes, such as including hands-on laboratory experience, remain in use today, the speakers said.

Sputnik Left Legacy for U.S. Science Education

http://history.nasa.gov/sputnik/

----------------------------

Imagine a world without Moon landings. Without satellites. Suddenly, your enemy puts a satellite into orbit circling over your head. You can't shoot it down. You can't get to it if it turns out to be dangerous. That's what happened when I was a kid.
Suddenly, everyone wanted to be a scientist. Suddenly you had all these movies about space creatures. There were science fairs in every high school.

1406756-L.jpg

Jobs are being automated. It's going to take the same kind of effort that it took in the late 50's and onward to prepare the population for this century's jobs.
No more wasting time and resources fighting evolution and earth history. No more calling smart kids nerd and geeks.

Either you prepare for the future or you live off food stamps and government benefits. That's the choice. Republicans would watch you die. They don't care.
Spite them. Get an education and spite them. Support education. Get your kids in school. Not Bible school.

You mind putting a little more effort into this post so it makes sense? I think you have a thought but you haven't made it make sense to anyone outside your crazy bubble. Come back with something that makes sense and we can all follow.

You mind putting a little more effort into this post so it makes sense? I think you have a thought but you haven't made it make sense to anyone outside your crazy bubble. Come back with something that makes sense and we can all follow.
You just aren't very bright. That's all.

Tank: You should have been getting a education before Trump became President

I did. That's why I was able to retire years early. I was a senior design engineer. Now I'm a retiree. I like it.

That's kinda what I was thinking about your OP. So you have nothing to clarify then? The rantings of an unhinged idiot is what we have here.

Can you believe it? These Republicans don't understand the value of education. They voted for Trump to get them jobs. But for today's jobs, they need education. So they are telling me I'm not making sense. That I live in a bubble. I want to give up, but it just doesn't seem right. Leaving Americans who need help completely alone.

Tank: You should have been getting a education before Trump became President

I did. That's why I was able to retire years early. I was a senior design engineer. Now I'm a retiree. I like it.
If you're so smart, why are you a liberal?

Can you believe it? These Republicans don't understand the value of education. They voted for Trump to get them jobs. But for today's jobs, they need education. So they are telling me I'm not making sense. That I live in a bubble. I want to give up, but it just doesn't seem right. Leaving Americans who need help completely alone.
Nobody here doesn't understand the value of an education. We also understand the value of a skill. We also don't follow your emotional out burst of everyone is going to die unless the government runs your life.

well that's his base, uneducated white perckerwoods

That's kinda what I was thinking about your OP. So you have nothing to clarify then? The rantings of an unhinged idiot is what we have here.
I can't believe I have to do this. I really thought it was obvious and crystal clear.

America became scared after Russia put an orbiting satellite overhead that we couldn't reach or stop.

You can't fight that with Bible Study. So education changed and overnight, science was pushed in every school in America.

In a few short years, after all the effort, Americans put men on the moon.

Today millions of jobs moved overseas. But that was only 13% of the total jobs lost. The rest have been automated. Jobs are being divided into highly skilled and unskilled. There are already over 5 million jobs unfilled because Americans don't have the skills.

The jobs are there, they just aren't high paying, unskilled jobs. You need skills and education or training to get one.

America needs to make the same kind of effort that took us from a scared country to the world's leaders in science to prepare Americans for those skilled, good paying jobs.

If anyone could make it any clearer, please try. I know my premise is correct. Trying to get people who will never understand to understand may be beyond all of our capabilities.

So it seems.

I can't believe I have to do this. I really thought it was obvious and crystal clear.

America became scared after Russia put an orbiting satellite overhead that we couldn't reach or stop.

You can't fight that with Bible Study. So education changed and overnight, science was pushed in every school in America.

Today millions of jobs moved overseas. But that was only 13% of the total jobs lost. The rest have been automated. Jobs are being divided into highly skilled and unskilled. There are already over 5 million jobs unfilled because Americans don't have the skills.

The jobs are there, they just aren't high paying, unskilled jobs. You need skills and education or training to get one.

America needs to make the same kind of effort that took us from a scared country to the world's leaders in science to prepare Americans for those skilled, good paying jobs.

If anyone could make it any clearer, please try. I know my premise is correct. Trying to get people who will never understand to understand may be beyond all of our capabilities.
America, scared, satellite, Bible, moon, Jobs over seas but not that many, automation, no skills because, we need more science.

Yeah you didn't do well here. Maybe try to take smaller bites with a point that makes sense.

So it seems.
So it's you two being racist.

The "browning of America" has lowered the value of a education.

America, scared, satellite, Bible, moon, Jobs over seas but not that many, automation, no skills because, we need more science.

Yeah you didn't do well here. Maybe try to take smaller bites with a point that makes sense.
Maybe if you read the words in between instead of just picking out the ones you don't understand, it might help?

Nobody here doesn't understand the value of an education. We also understand the value of a skill. We also don't follow your emotional out burst of everyone is going to die unless the government runs your life.
Rdean is neither smart, nor a liberal.

Rdean is neither smart, nor a liberal.
I'm both. At the same time.

Republicans aren't either. At the same time.

everyone is going to die unless the government runs your life

Only stupid people say that.

Are you stupid?

How Sputnik changed U.S. education

The post-Sputnik reforms were put in the hands of scientists, much to the dismay of some educators and concerned citizens who had previously had enormous input on curriculum design. Several of the changes, such as including hands-on laboratory experience, remain in use today, the speakers said.

Sputnik Left Legacy for U.S. Science Education

http://history.nasa.gov/sputnik/

----------------------------

Imagine a world without Moon landings. Without satellites. Suddenly, your enemy puts a satellite into orbit circling over your head. You can't shoot it down. You can't get to it if it turns out to be dangerous. That's what happened when I was a kid.
Suddenly, everyone wanted to be a scientist. Suddenly you had all these movies about space creatures. There were science fairs in every high school.

1406756-L.jpg

Jobs are being automated. It's going to take the same kind of effort that it took in the late 50's and onward to prepare the population for this century's jobs.
No more wasting time and resources fighting evolution and earth history. No more calling smart kids nerd and geeks.

Either you prepare for the future or you live off food stamps and government benefits. That's the choice. Republicans would watch you die. They don't care.
Spite them. Get an education and spite them. Support education. Get your kids in school. Not Bible school.
Nope...Black Lives Matter terrorist run your classrooms now.

Forum List

Back