When Romney gets the nomination.....

Is slavery wrong, yes or no?

I'm waiting for your brilliant argument to persuade me.
Keep in mind that slavery is not the aberration. Freedom is. People have enslaved one another from pre-history to even today. So you would have to explain why it is "wrong" or unnatural or something to enslave someone.
Bet you can't do it.

How about a pretty simple one.

You wouldn't want it done to you or anyone you care about.

I wouldn't want to go to jail, nor would I want anyone I cared about to do so.
I guess that makes jailing criminals immoral too.

I wouldn't want to be drafted, nor would I want that to happen to anyone I cared about.
I guess that makes a draft immoral too.

I wouldn't want to be called for jury duty. Nor would I want anyone I cared about to be either.
I guess that makes jury duty immoral too.
Argument fail.

Is slavery wrong, yes or no?

Keep in mind that slavery is not the aberration. Freedom is. People have enslaved one another from pre-history to even today. So you would have to explain why it is "wrong" or unnatural or something to enslave someone.
Bet you can't do it.

So I will put you down as "No."

:thup:

Well done.

I'll put you down as incapable of arguing something that ought to be obvious, and therefore a nincompoop.

Bet you can't do it.

I wouldn't want to be drafted, nor would I want that to happen to anyone I cared about.

I wouldn't want to be called for jury duty. Nor would I want anyone I cared about to be either.
Argument fail.

Yes, your argument did fail. All of those examples are things that must happen to preserve society. Slavery isn't. Slavery is just one person exploiting another.

Going to jail can be avoided. Don't commit a crime. Being drafted can be avoided. Say you are a conscientious objector. In your case, Jury duty can be avoided. Just share your wonderful racial views with the judge. You'll be excused. :lol:

Argument fail.

Yes, your argument did fail. All of those examples are things that must happen to preserve society. Slavery isn't. Slavery is just one person exploiting another.

Going to jail can be avoided. Don't commit a crime. Being drafted can be avoided. Say you are a conscientious objector. In your case, Jury duty can be avoided. Just share your wonderful racial views with the judge. You'll be excused. :lol:
And slavery can be avoided: Don't be around when the traders come or else buy your freedom. You fail on that one too.
Just because there is something I dont want done to myself or my friends does not ipso facto make it immoral.
You fail as well.
You must support slavery because you can't come up with anything remotely resembling an argument against it.

Bet you can't do it.

Argument fail.

Do the Crime, do the Time. Simple. Free Will, Violation of Trust. Society does Govern by consent. Actions have consequences. Value for Value.

Short of being Invaded, or Eminent Threat of Invasion, I am against the Draft. I do also support a Stronger Reserve, and State National Guard, Cross Trained in Disaster Relief.

I'm Self Employed, so Jury Duty does Kill me. For most Employed People, it is more an inconvenience. Still, it is a Civic Duty, and one is compensated for it to some degree, if not in full, depending on your Employer. Some People actually look forward to it.

Life is give and take. We learn as we go. God First in all things, Rabbi, no Buts, no What If's.

That is irrelevant to the argument, which was something you don't want to have happen to others or yourself is immoral.
Clearly that isn't the case. No one calls incarceration immoral, or national service, or the jury duty.
I could list dozens of unpleasant things I wouldn't want to have happen to me or someone I cared about, including getting AIDS from a blood transfusion. That doesn't make those things immoral. Any more than it makes slavery immoral.
Next argument, please.

That is irrelevant to the argument, which was something you don't want to have happen to others or yourself is immoral.
Clearly that isn't the case. No one calls incarceration immoral, or national service, or the jury duty.
I could list dozens of unpleasant things I wouldn't want to have happen to me or someone I cared about, including getting AIDS from a blood transfusion. That doesn't make those things immoral. Any more than it makes slavery immoral.
Next argument, please.

Ha! :):):)

Someone having Power over Another's Life, Will, and Property, without permission or consent, even as far as Rape, separating Families, buying and selling Human Beings, is wrong Rabbi. Most Cultures recognize that, and have discontinued the Practice, with good reason. There are things with the Old Testament it is good to keep, there are things we no longer recognize as virtuous. Slavery is Tyranny.

It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even to most enormous, wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support. If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders. I must get off him first, that he may pursue his contemplations too. See what gross inconsistency is tolerated.

Henry David Thoreau: On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

Next argument, please.

Someone having Power over Another's Life, Will, and Property, without permission or consent, even as far as Rape, separating Families, buying and selling Human Beings, is wrong Rabbi. Most Cultures recognize that, and have discontinued the Practice, with good reason. There are things with the Old Testament it is good to keep, there are things we no longer recognize as virtuous. Slavery is Tyranny.

It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even to most enormous, wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support. If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders. I must get off him first, that he may pursue his contemplations too. See what gross inconsistency is tolerated.

You dont get it. Merely repeating yourself isn't an argument.
Most cultures have been influenced by the West, which has pushed to discontinue it. Yet it endures in many places.
None of that is particularly relevant to whether something is wrong or not.

Next argument, please.

Most cultures have been influenced by the West, which has pushed to discontinue it. Yet it endures in many places.

You making a claim does not make it true. If you don't know what is immoral about it, at this point in your life, there is little hope of personal growth in you, now isn't there. You keep defending Slavery without regard to Revelation or Truth, and that is sad. You are sure good at repeating yourself and laying out false accusation, Rabbi.

You making a claim does not make it true. If you don't know what is immoral about it, at this point in your life, there is little hope of personal growth in you, now isn't there. You keep defending Slavery without regard to Revelation or Truth, and that is sad. You are sure good at repeating yourself and laying out false accusation, Rabbi.

What claim have I made? None. I ask someone to make an argument that slavery is wrong. The response I get is, Slavery is wrong because it's wrong.
Do you see the problem with this argument?
Throwing out ad homs isn't going to strengthen your case any. I guess you must support slavery since you can't come up with a decent reason why it is wrong.

What claim have I made? None. I ask someone to make an argument that slavery is wrong. The response I get is, Slavery is wrong because it's wrong.
Throwing out ad homs isn't going to strengthen your case any. I guess you must support slavery since you can't come up with a decent reason why it is wrong.

Why are you people arguing with Rabbi when he is in his "I am being an asshole" mode?

Why are you people arguing with Rabbi when he is in his "I am being an asshole" mode?

translation: No one can touch the argument.
Least of all you, Nutwinger. Go back to posting how Obama will be remembered as one of our greatest presidents and the UE rate will be 6% in December.

translation: No one can touch the argument.
Least of all you, Nutwinger. Go back to posting how Obama will be remembered as one of our greatest presidents and the UE rate will be 6% in December.

LOL

Does Perry share your views on the merits of slavery?

Let me guess?

That's why I don't answer Rabbi's stupid premise. I'm not going to argue "Why Jews are subhuman" with a bigot either. I usually respond to the POS anti-Semites with "Fuck you," but have refrained to do so with the pro-slavery crowd (of one) here.

Last edited:

That's why I don't answer Rabbi's stupid premise. I'm not going to argue "Why Jews are subhuman" with a bigot either. I usually respond to the POS anti-Semites with "Fuck you," but have refrained to do so with the pro-slavery crowd (of one) here.
translation: I cannot make a decent argument.

If you can't explain why slavery is bad maybe you think it's really not so bad after all. Ever consider that?
I dont recall ever posting I was pro-slavery. Please supply the link. I am challenging people to make an argument why an institution that is millenia old all over the world is wrong. And I ahve to say you are failing miserably.

If you can't explain why slavery is bad maybe you think it's really not so bad after all. Ever consider that?
I dont recall ever posting I was pro-slavery. Please supply the link. I am challenging people to make an argument why an institution that is millenia old all over the world is wrong. And I ahve to say you are failing miserably.

I can make the moral argument against slavery, just like I can make the argument why the Holocaust is immoral. But I'm not going to waste my time getting in the sewer with those who would argue otherwise.

I can make the moral argument against slavery, just like I can make the argument why the Holocaust is immoral. But I'm not going to waste my time getting in the sewer with those who would argue otherwise.
Actually you can't make the argument. I know this because you've had ample opportunity over several months in multiple threads and have failed every time. It comes down to "You must be rayciss n shit" with you. That isn't an argument.

How 'bout this for a question: Why would anyone NOT be against the institution of slavery?

Actually you can't make the argument. I know this because you've had ample opportunity over several months in multiple threads and have failed every time. It comes down to "You must be rayciss n shit" with you. That isn't an argument.

Really? No one ever argues against it on other than racial grounds?

Forum List

Back