Which should have first priority: The woman, the fertilized egg, or the fetus?

Which should have first priority: The woman, the fertilized egg, or the fetus?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am Pro-Life for a reason. Because I was adopted. My biological mother could have easily given me up. She could have easily aborted me, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the life I have now. I wouldn't be able to understand the many complexities to life. I wouldn't be able to learn what it takes "not to take your life for granted". I wouldn't be able to do all those things and more.
Therefore, I cherish my life - since it is the only one I have.
I feel for those who don't have that "choice". Those are the little ones. They are the ones who don't have a voice. They are the ones - whose mom already made the choice for them. For whatever reason - justified or not - they don't have a choice. It has already been made up for them. As if their mom already "spoke for them".

And, that's a shame.

Personally, I have considered adopting a young and beautiful child. Because she/he deserves a life. Because she/he deserves to dream big. And be whoever she/he wants.

Those who are aborted - don't have that choice. It has already been made up for them.
maxresdefault.jpg

Life begins at conception. If it begins it was God's will...and so the fertilized egg has first priority. If woman does not want the child...put it up for adoption.
Oh gee what a convenient point of view from someone that we are supposed to believe would honor a 9 month pregnancy after getting laid. If it were physically possible for you to be pregnant, your dumbass would whine about your personal freedom above any fetus.

I am Pro-Life for a reason. Because I was adopted. My biological mother could have easily given me up. She could have easily aborted me, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the life I have now. I wouldn't be able to understand the many complexities to life. I wouldn't be able to learn what it takes "not to take your life for granted". I wouldn't be able to do all those things and more.
I feel for those who don't have that "choice". Those are the little ones. They are the ones who don't have a voice. They are the ones - whose mom already made the choice for them. For whatever reason - justified or not - they don't have a choice. It has already been made up for them. As if their mom already "spoke for them".

And, that's a shame.

Personally, I have considered adopting a young and beautiful child. Because she/he deserves a life. Because she/he deserves to dream big. And be whoever she/he wants.

Those who are aborted - don't have that choice. It has already been made up for them.
maxresdefault.jpg

It's interesting that you never once mention anything about the mental/physical/financial welfare of women seeking abortions. Women come first. It's their choice. It's their right. Women are more than birthing pods.

Last edited:
This is a sincere poll. I would appreciate honest answers. If you're willing, I would also appreciate your reasons. I will not criticize your choice. I would just honestly like to know where USMB posters stand on this issue.

NOTE: I know there are many possible variables, but this poll assumes "typical" circumstances. In other words, this is a superficial poll that assumes "normal/average" circumstances - meaning no rape, incest, health, deformity, financial, or other extenuating issues.
Shame on you. You left out needy billionaires. Needy billionaires are always going to be the Republicans first priority.

this is not, and has never been about "women's rights" or "reproductive rights". Its about the rights of an unborn human being. The issue is when does a conceived human become human. Right to life people believe its at conception or when the heart starts beating, pro-choice people believe at the instant or birth, or whenever the mother decides to let the child live, sometimes even after birth.

I think the Alabama law will force the issue to the SCOTUS, the question then becomes whether they will have the balls to take it on and make a decision.

Or, we could have a national referendum, true democracy, let the majority view prevail. Any takers?

And, that's a shame.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's interesting that you never once mention anything about the mental/physical/financial welfare of women seeking abortions. Women come first. It's their choice. It's their right. Women are more than birthing pods.

can you quote the language in the constitution that makes abortion a right?

its easy to prevent pregnancy with today's methods. If you dont want a kid dont screw without protection, its really quite simple.

This is a sincere poll. I would appreciate honest answers. If you're willing, I would also appreciate your reasons. I will not criticize your choice. I would just honestly like to know where USMB posters stand on this issue.

NOTE: I know there are many possible variables, but this poll assumes "typical" circumstances. In other words, this is a superficial poll that assumes "normal/average" circumstances - meaning no rape, incest, health, deformity, financial, or other extenuating issues.
Shame on you. You left out needy billionaires. Needy billionaires are always going to be the Republicans first priority.

like the clintons. Kerry, Gates, Zuckerburg, DeBlazio, Whoopi, Oprah, Soros? those needy billionaires?

to claim that only republicans favor rich people is totally ignorant of reality. ALL politicians favor rich people, because they are the people that keep them in power and make them rich too.

stop being so fricken naive.

There are more millionaire democrats in congress than republicans. Idiot.

I think the order of priority is not constant throughout gestation.

At some point in the womb that fetus is a baby and at that point efforts should be made to protect both the baby and mother with equal vigor.

The obstetrician is still treating two patients irrelevant of whether one patient chooses to kill the other patient.
So, the doctor is calling it a patient, while science is calling it a fetus that does not have all the development organs to call it a fully developed human being, with a fully developed brain. And that's on the doctor, not the actual patient who has already been born, with a developed brain who responds to stimulus. That is the patient that counts as it pertains to Biological science. Get it?

In other words, you are making a case for a so called patient that is undeveloped, is not conscious, and does not respond to stimuli based on the fetus/patients undeveloped brain, and give it priority over the patient that does. That's about as dumb and insensitive of a case that you could possibly come up with. I mean, you are trying to take away 100%, the actual born patients rights to protect that born patient, over the undeveloped one that feels nothing. Boss, that is total insanity.

If you think you have science on your side you are flatly wrong. Scientifically, the preborn baby is a human being, whether you like it or not.... it’s simply in a different stage of life. Yes the preborn is still developing, but so is a newborn, and a child, and a teenager. We are human beings from the moment we come into existence until the moment we die. You’ve just believed the lies promoted by those who are making a lot of money in the business of killing.
You are speaking directly to emotions and feelings. You aren't arguing your case through the lens of scientific analysis or logical reasoning. Being a human being, is not being a fully developed human being in the womb. Scientifically, it is a developing fetus with no developed brain, and the only risk taker is the female carrying that fetus. Whether you like it or not.

And other "human beings making a lot of money in the business of killing"? Really? Explain that logically from a scientific approach how it is killing a fully developed human being? Otherwise, I have no idea what it is they are killing?

Let's ask it like this; was the chicken killed in the egg, or was the yoke from the chicken egg killed before you bought it? Or maybe it was never killed at all? Maybe it was just prevented from developing, by putting it at a temperature that stopped development, seeing that it was never a fully developed chicken?

Biologically speaking, it is very easy to understand, that to stop a developing fetus, isn't much different than stopping a developing yoke turn into a chicken. Did either one have the developed brain to know the difference? Biologically speaking, science says no. So, you will need to clarify this "killing" claim of yours.

Sorry, but from a scientific standpoint, the preborn is a human being, a member of the human species, that has nothing to do with emotion, it's a undeniable scientific fact. Here are a few quotes for you:

“….it is scientifically correct to say that human life begins at conception.”

Dr. Micheline Matthews-Roth, Harvard Medical School: Quoted by Public Affairs Council

“Landrum B. Shettles, M.D., P.h.D. was first scientist to succeed at in vitro fertilization:

“The zygote is human life….there is one fact that no one can deny; Human beings begin at conception.

From Landrum B. Shettles “Rites of Life: The Scientific Evidence for Life Before Birth” Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1983 p 40

“Fertilization is the process by which male and female haploid gametes (sperm and egg) unite to produce a genetically distinct individual.”

Signorelli et al., Kinases, phosphatases and proteases during sperm capacitation, CELL TISSUE RES. 349(3):765 (Mar. 20, 2012)

National Institutes of Health, Medline Plus Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary (2013), http://www.merriamwebster.com/...

The government’s own definition attests to the fact that life begins at fertilization. According to the National Institutes of Health, “fertilization” is the process of union of two gametes (i.e., ovum and sperm) “whereby the somatic chromosome number is restored and the development of a new individual is initiated.

Steven Ertelt “Undisputed Scientific Fact: Human Life Begins at Conception, or Fertilization” 11/18/13

“It is the penetration of the ovum by a sperm and the resulting mingling of nuclear material each brings to the union that constitutes the initiation of the life of a new individual.

Clark Edward and Corliss Patten’s Human Embryology, McGraw – Hill Inc., 30

Keith L. Moore, Before We Are Born: Essentials of Embryology, 7th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2008. p. 2.
“[The zygote], formed by the union of an oocyte and a sperm, is the beginning of a new human being.”

“The first cell of a new and unique human life begins existence at the moment of conception (fertilization) when one living sperm from the father joins with one living ovum from the mother. It is in this manner that human life passes from one generation to another. Given the appropriate environment and genetic composition, the single cell subsequently gives rise to trillions of specialized and integrated cells that compose the structures and functions of each individual human body. Every human being alive today and, as far as is known scientifically, every human being that ever existed, began his or her unique existence in this manner, i.e., as one cell. If this first cell or any subsequent configuration of cells perishes, the individual dies, ceasing to exist in matter as a living being. There are no known exceptions to this rule in the field of human biology.”

James Bopp, ed., Human Life and Health Care Ethics, vol. 2 (Frederick, MD: University Publications of America, 1985)

Rand McNally, Atlas of the Body (New York: Rand McNally, 1980) 139, 144
“In fusing together, the male and female gametes produce a fertilized single cell, the zygote, which is the start of a new individual.
Quoted in Randy Alcorn “Pro-life Answers to Pro-Choice Arguments” (Sisters, Oregon: Multnomah Publishers, 2000)

“The formation, maturation and meeting of a male and female sex cell are all preliminary to their actual union into a combined cell, or zygote, which definitely marks the beginning of a new individual. The penetration of the ovum by the spermatozoon, and the coming together and pooling of their respective nuclei, constitutes the process of fertilization.”

Leslie Brainerd Arey, “Developmental Anatomy” seventh edition space (Philadelphia: Saunders, 1974), 55

Thibodeau, G.A., and Anthony, C.P., Structure and Function of the Body, 8th edition, St. Louis: Times Mirror/Mosby College Publishers, St. Louis, 1988. pages 409-419

“The science of the development of the individual before birth is called embryology. It is the story of miracles, describing the means by which a single microscopic cell is transformed into a complex human being. Genetically the zygote is complete. It represents a new single celled individual.”

Carlson, Bruce M. Patten’s Foundations of Embryology. 6th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1996, p. 3
“Almost all higher animals start their lives from a single cell, the fertilized ovum (zygote)… The time of fertilization represents the starting point in the life history, or ontogeny, of the individual.

Considine, Douglas (ed.). Van Nostrand’s Scientific Encyclopedia. 5th edition. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1976, p. 943

“Embryo: The developing individual between the union of the germ cells and the completion of the organs which characterize its body when it becomes a separate organism…. At the moment the sperm cell of the human male meets the ovum of the female and the union results in a fertilized ovum (zygote), a new life has begun. ”

Lennart Nilsson A Child is Born: Completely Revised Edition (Dell Publishing Co.: New York) 1986

“but the whole story does not begin with delivery. The baby has existed for months before – at first signaling its presence only with small outer signs, later on as a somewhat foreign little being which has been growing and gradually affecting the lives of those close by…”

Kaluger, G., and Kaluger, M., Human Development: The Span of Life, page 28-29, The C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1974

“In that fraction of a second when the chromosomes form pairs, [at conception] the sex of the new child will be determined, hereditary characteristics received from each parent will be set, and a new life will have begun.”

Langman, Jan. Medical Embryology. 3rd edition. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1975, p. 3

“The development of a human being begins with fertilization, a process by which two highly specialized cells, the spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female, unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote.”

Human Embryology, 3rd ed. Bradley M. Patten, (New York: McGraw Hill, 1968), 43.

“It is the penetration of the ovum by a spermatozoan and resultant mingling of the nuclear material each brings to the union that constitutes the culmination of the process of fertilization and marks the initiation of the life of a new individual."

The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology, 6th ed. Keith L. Moore, Ph.D. & T.V.N. Persaud, Md., (Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company, 1998), 2-18:

“[The Zygote] results from the union of an oocyte and a sperm. A zygote is the beginning of a new human being. Human development begins at fertilization, the process during which a male gamete or sperm … unites with a female gamete or oocyte … to form a single cell called a zygote. This highly specialized, totipotent cell marks the beginning of each of us as a unique individual.”
Sorry, but a fully developed human being is a scientific impossibility at conception. There exists no fully developed human being at conception. That is a scientific fact.

Also, in some of these publications, they talk about the initiation of life. Yet, no human on this planet has ever definitively defined life, other than to use their own religious or philosophical views about the subject. Wikipedia cannot define life. Meaning of life - Wikipedia So, how can you or anyone else define it, when in the womb? Answer, you can't. You insist on making the claim to fit what your emotions tell you to believe. But the science still tells us that a fetus at conception, is not a fully developed human being, and we know that fetus is not experiencing life as we know it until after birth. Again, there exists no publication telling us this.

Your articles mention the determination of the sex, and the developing human being after fertilization and the zygote is the beginning of a human being. AND? What about it? Those things have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a mothers decision and right as a born human being with a functioning brain to determine what is best for her and her own body. The rest of this pro-life talk is just bs.

An infant is not a fully developed human being. A toddler is not a fully developed human being, a teen is not a fully developed human being, but they are all human beings. Human life begins at conception, as the human DNA begins to develop a human being.

What is the scientific difference between a baby one day prior to birth and the same baby one day after birth? The latter is protected by the Constitution, and the former is not.

- O-12 weeks (before brain activity) - the mother
- 12 weeks to just before the child can survive without the mother - the mother if her life is in danger OR the child if the mothers life is not in danger (assuming no major birth defects are present).
- after the child can survive without the mother - the child...even if the mother's life is in danger.

I for one believe a child's life is more important then an adult's - in ALL cases (assuming the child does not have some horrible birth defect). And if either the child OR the mother can survive (but not both) - I believe the child's life is the one that should be saved (though how you would enforce such a law is beyond me as it could be a nightmare).

If my woman carried our baby and terminated it when it could survive without her (even if not killing the child risked the mother's life), I would immediately terminate our relationship and I could never respect her again for saving her own neck at the expense of her child.
Any parent who sacrifices their relatively, healthy child to save their own life is a disgrace as a parent, IMO.

Life begins at conception. If it begins it was God's will...and so the fertilized egg has first priority. If woman does not want the child...put it up for adoption.
I thought god recommended kicking a pregnant unfaithful woman in the stomach to get rid of the child?

So, the doctor is calling it a patient, while science is calling it a fetus that does not have all the development organs to call it a fully developed human being, with a fully developed brain. And that's on the doctor, not the actual patient who has already been born, with a developed brain who responds to stimulus. That is the patient that counts as it pertains to Biological science. Get it?

In other words, you are making a case for a so called patient that is undeveloped, is not conscious, and does not respond to stimuli based on the fetus/patients undeveloped brain, and give it priority over the patient that does. That's about as dumb and insensitive of a case that you could possibly come up with. I mean, you are trying to take away 100%, the actual born patients rights to protect that born patient, over the undeveloped one that feels nothing. Boss, that is total insanity.

If you think you have science on your side you are flatly wrong. Scientifically, the preborn baby is a human being, whether you like it or not.... it’s simply in a different stage of life. Yes the preborn is still developing, but so is a newborn, and a child, and a teenager. We are human beings from the moment we come into existence until the moment we die. You’ve just believed the lies promoted by those who are making a lot of money in the business of killing.
You are speaking directly to emotions and feelings. You aren't arguing your case through the lens of scientific analysis or logical reasoning. Being a human being, is not being a fully developed human being in the womb. Scientifically, it is a developing fetus with no developed brain, and the only risk taker is the female carrying that fetus. Whether you like it or not.

And other "human beings making a lot of money in the business of killing"? Really? Explain that logically from a scientific approach how it is killing a fully developed human being? Otherwise, I have no idea what it is they are killing?

Let's ask it like this; was the chicken killed in the egg, or was the yoke from the chicken egg killed before you bought it? Or maybe it was never killed at all? Maybe it was just prevented from developing, by putting it at a temperature that stopped development, seeing that it was never a fully developed chicken?

Biologically speaking, it is very easy to understand, that to stop a developing fetus, isn't much different than stopping a developing yoke turn into a chicken. Did either one have the developed brain to know the difference? Biologically speaking, science says no. So, you will need to clarify this "killing" claim of yours.

Sorry, but from a scientific standpoint, the preborn is a human being, a member of the human species, that has nothing to do with emotion, it's a undeniable scientific fact. Here are a few quotes for you:

“….it is scientifically correct to say that human life begins at conception.”

Dr. Micheline Matthews-Roth, Harvard Medical School: Quoted by Public Affairs Council

“Landrum B. Shettles, M.D., P.h.D. was first scientist to succeed at in vitro fertilization:

“The zygote is human life….there is one fact that no one can deny; Human beings begin at conception.

From Landrum B. Shettles “Rites of Life: The Scientific Evidence for Life Before Birth” Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1983 p 40

“Fertilization is the process by which male and female haploid gametes (sperm and egg) unite to produce a genetically distinct individual.”

Signorelli et al., Kinases, phosphatases and proteases during sperm capacitation, CELL TISSUE RES. 349(3):765 (Mar. 20, 2012)

National Institutes of Health, Medline Plus Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary (2013), http://www.merriamwebster.com/...

The government’s own definition attests to the fact that life begins at fertilization. According to the National Institutes of Health, “fertilization” is the process of union of two gametes (i.e., ovum and sperm) “whereby the somatic chromosome number is restored and the development of a new individual is initiated.

Steven Ertelt “Undisputed Scientific Fact: Human Life Begins at Conception, or Fertilization” 11/18/13

“It is the penetration of the ovum by a sperm and the resulting mingling of nuclear material each brings to the union that constitutes the initiation of the life of a new individual.

Clark Edward and Corliss Patten’s Human Embryology, McGraw – Hill Inc., 30

Keith L. Moore, Before We Are Born: Essentials of Embryology, 7th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2008. p. 2.
“[The zygote], formed by the union of an oocyte and a sperm, is the beginning of a new human being.”

“The first cell of a new and unique human life begins existence at the moment of conception (fertilization) when one living sperm from the father joins with one living ovum from the mother. It is in this manner that human life passes from one generation to another. Given the appropriate environment and genetic composition, the single cell subsequently gives rise to trillions of specialized and integrated cells that compose the structures and functions of each individual human body. Every human being alive today and, as far as is known scientifically, every human being that ever existed, began his or her unique existence in this manner, i.e., as one cell. If this first cell or any subsequent configuration of cells perishes, the individual dies, ceasing to exist in matter as a living being. There are no known exceptions to this rule in the field of human biology.”

James Bopp, ed., Human Life and Health Care Ethics, vol. 2 (Frederick, MD: University Publications of America, 1985)

Rand McNally, Atlas of the Body (New York: Rand McNally, 1980) 139, 144
“In fusing together, the male and female gametes produce a fertilized single cell, the zygote, which is the start of a new individual.
Quoted in Randy Alcorn “Pro-life Answers to Pro-Choice Arguments” (Sisters, Oregon: Multnomah Publishers, 2000)

“The formation, maturation and meeting of a male and female sex cell are all preliminary to their actual union into a combined cell, or zygote, which definitely marks the beginning of a new individual. The penetration of the ovum by the spermatozoon, and the coming together and pooling of their respective nuclei, constitutes the process of fertilization.”

Leslie Brainerd Arey, “Developmental Anatomy” seventh edition space (Philadelphia: Saunders, 1974), 55

Thibodeau, G.A., and Anthony, C.P., Structure and Function of the Body, 8th edition, St. Louis: Times Mirror/Mosby College Publishers, St. Louis, 1988. pages 409-419

“The science of the development of the individual before birth is called embryology. It is the story of miracles, describing the means by which a single microscopic cell is transformed into a complex human being. Genetically the zygote is complete. It represents a new single celled individual.”

Carlson, Bruce M. Patten’s Foundations of Embryology. 6th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1996, p. 3
“Almost all higher animals start their lives from a single cell, the fertilized ovum (zygote)… The time of fertilization represents the starting point in the life history, or ontogeny, of the individual.

Considine, Douglas (ed.). Van Nostrand’s Scientific Encyclopedia. 5th edition. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1976, p. 943

“Embryo: The developing individual between the union of the germ cells and the completion of the organs which characterize its body when it becomes a separate organism…. At the moment the sperm cell of the human male meets the ovum of the female and the union results in a fertilized ovum (zygote), a new life has begun. ”

Lennart Nilsson A Child is Born: Completely Revised Edition (Dell Publishing Co.: New York) 1986

“but the whole story does not begin with delivery. The baby has existed for months before – at first signaling its presence only with small outer signs, later on as a somewhat foreign little being which has been growing and gradually affecting the lives of those close by…”

Kaluger, G., and Kaluger, M., Human Development: The Span of Life, page 28-29, The C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1974

“In that fraction of a second when the chromosomes form pairs, [at conception] the sex of the new child will be determined, hereditary characteristics received from each parent will be set, and a new life will have begun.”

Langman, Jan. Medical Embryology. 3rd edition. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1975, p. 3

“The development of a human being begins with fertilization, a process by which two highly specialized cells, the spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female, unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote.”

Human Embryology, 3rd ed. Bradley M. Patten, (New York: McGraw Hill, 1968), 43.

“It is the penetration of the ovum by a spermatozoan and resultant mingling of the nuclear material each brings to the union that constitutes the culmination of the process of fertilization and marks the initiation of the life of a new individual."

The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology, 6th ed. Keith L. Moore, Ph.D. & T.V.N. Persaud, Md., (Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company, 1998), 2-18:

“[The Zygote] results from the union of an oocyte and a sperm. A zygote is the beginning of a new human being. Human development begins at fertilization, the process during which a male gamete or sperm … unites with a female gamete or oocyte … to form a single cell called a zygote. This highly specialized, totipotent cell marks the beginning of each of us as a unique individual.”
Sorry, but a fully developed human being is a scientific impossibility at conception. There exists no fully developed human being at conception. That is a scientific fact.

Also, in some of these publications, they talk about the initiation of life. Yet, no human on this planet has ever definitively defined life, other than to use their own religious or philosophical views about the subject. Wikipedia cannot define life. Meaning of life - Wikipedia So, how can you or anyone else define it, when in the womb? Answer, you can't. You insist on making the claim to fit what your emotions tell you to believe. But the science still tells us that a fetus at conception, is not a fully developed human being, and we know that fetus is not experiencing life as we know it until after birth. Again, there exists no publication telling us this.

Your articles mention the determination of the sex, and the developing human being after fertilization and the zygote is the beginning of a human being. AND? What about it? Those things have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a mothers decision and right as a born human being with a functioning brain to determine what is best for her and her own body. The rest of this pro-life talk is just bs.

An infant is not a fully developed human being. A toddler is not a fully developed human being, a teen is not a fully developed human being, but they are all human beings. Human life begins at conception, as the human DNA begins to develop a human being.

What is the scientific difference between a baby one day prior to birth and the same baby one day after birth? The latter is protected by the Constitution, and the former is not.
Once again, you do not know what life is, therefore, you have no physical evidence life begins at conception. . You invent your own convenient philosophical and religious reasons, but they are your facts, that do not have any substance of proof. That's just a fact. This law by Alabama is one that was gathered out of thin air, with no intelligent proof to back it up.

The Constitution separates religion from the state by the way . Life - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Forum List

Back