who can afford to buy a house?

I own a home and have my mortgage already paid. I live in a nice area and have no intention of selling anytime soon.
Shit, being retired I could not even afford a home in my own neighborhood if I had to buy one today without diving into my retirement savings.

300K+ is the starting point for anything here now and I'm not talking new homes either.

Besides one lot (now sold/cleared) it was built-out by 2000.....The lot that sold is .25 acre went for 80K and it's a shit lot.....Maybe 20' of level frontage on the street then it drops off better than a 30 degree angle.

"
"One measure of the strength of the housing market is the relationship of current prices to their historical levels," Craig J. Lazzara, managing director at S&P DJI, said in the press release. "On that dimension, it’s worth noting that the National Composite, the 10-City Composite, and seven individual cities (Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, and New York) stand at their all-time highs."

"On a year-to-date basis, the National Composite has risen 5.8%, which is well above the median full calendar year increase in more than 35 years of data," he added."

35 years?

Must be Trumps fault.
It's not the fault of any president. It's a systemic problem arising from our idiotic tax code that has caused a huge wealth disparity. This is Reaganomics, coming home to roost. And no, I am not laying the blame on Reagan. Reaganomics had many enablers and designers, including the gullible, misled voters who bought in.

I could afford a decent house in my area if I really wanted to.

Zero interest in owning a house to be honest.

I hate yard work. I have no kids, I don’t need the space. No interest in cleaning a house or in paying someone to do so.

I do like the idea of a condo that I’d own, yet have people to maintain the yard, shovel the snow, etc. But renting works fine for my life right now.

I get why some people want to own a house. But I don’t get why home ownership is held up as some holy, universal goal.

For many of us, home is just a place to chill and sleep when we’re not out working or living life.
I don’t know who doesn’t use their home for a place to chill and sleep, when they aren’t working or living life

Most folks however recognize that ownership, is a smarter way to spend their money on that place then renting

It's not the fault of any president. It's a systemic problem arising from our idiotic tax code that has caused a huge wealth disparity. This is Reaganomics, coming home to roost. And no, I am not laying the blame on Reagan. Reaganomics had many enablers and designers, including the gullible, misled voters who bought in.
How is it Reaganomics fault? Yiu do realize the tax code has changed since the 80s right?

I could afford a decent house in my area if I really wanted to.

Zero interest in owning a house to be honest.

I hate yard work. I have no kids, I don’t need the space. No interest in cleaning a house or in paying someone to do so.

I do like the idea of a condo that I’d own, yet have people to maintain the yard, shovel the snow, etc. But renting works fine for my life right now.

I get why some people want to own a house. But I don’t get why home ownership is held up as some holy, universal goal.

For many of us, home is just a place to chill and sleep when we’re not out working or living life.
It's generational wealth for many. It's a means to rob us blind for the government.

My taxes went up over 30% this year. They're gonna tax many right out of their homes.

Shit, being retired I could not even afford a home in my own neighborhood if I had to buy one today without diving into my retirement savings.

300K+ is the starting point for anything here now and I'm not talking new homes either.

Besides one lot (now sold/cleared) it was built-out by 2000.....The lot that sold is .25 acre went for 80K and it's a shit lot.....Maybe 20' of level frontage on the street then it drops off better than a 30 degree angle.
Coeur d'Alene, ID is the craziest place I've heard of. The property values there are unbelievable. A shack on a postage stamp lot will run close to $300K with run of the mill tract homes pulling near $500 or more. They are building condos right and left with 3/4 to a million dollar price tags. Like MT, the folks that have been born and raised there have little chance of living where they grew up and owning homes.

People who have already built equity in the housing market can.

It's not going to be easy for the young ones who are starting out.

???? Did you say you work in healthcare? Clean environment is kind of like personal hygiene. Not having a clean home is antithetical with healthcare. IMHO.
I meant no interest in taking the time to clean an entire house. Keeping an apartment or condo clean is simple. I keep my apartment quite clean easily.

Wow. Highway robbery.

Fortunately I earn a high income which allowed me to purchase a home in a good area.

Because of the wealth and income disparity it created. I mentioned that. Pay attention!
Haha what are you talking about? Reagan’s boom lifted more people income up…literally created the upper middle class

What you are seeing now is xiden and the demafasict economic miracle that has a record number of Americans worse off…this isn’t reaganomics

Coeur d'Alene, ID is the craziest place I've heard of. The property values there are unbelievable. A shack on a postage stamp lot will run close to $300K with run of the mill tract homes pulling near $500 or more. They are building condos right and left with 3/4 to a million dollar price tags. Like MT, the folks that have been born and raised there have little chance of living where they grew up and owning homes.
Class difference literally deterritorializing the Natives.

"
"One measure of the strength of the housing market is the relationship of current prices to their historical levels," Craig J. Lazzara, managing director at S&P DJI, said in the press release. "On that dimension, it’s worth noting that the National Composite, the 10-City Composite, and seven individual cities (Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, and New York) stand at their all-time highs."

"On a year-to-date basis, the National Composite has risen 5.8%, which is well above the median full calendar year increase in more than 35 years of data," he added."

35 years?

Must be Trumps fault.
I just bought a Florida beach condo. Will fix it up, use it for a vacation and flip it in a few. Housing will be in short supply another 5 years.

"

35 years?

Must be Trumps fault.
It is the number one concern of our country. The cost of living.

I agree with Congressman Massie … we need stop foreign funding until we can get our issues in order in America

Soaring inflation and high interest rates are due to overspending.

We can’t afford more foreign aid.

I voted against the billions for Ukraine, and I am voting against $14+ billion of foreign aid for Israel tonight

Raised on the American dream, own your own little spot of America,
Interest rates have varied from 4% to 14%.
We have crashed & burned, picked our self's up & continued on.
scary times again, no idea what the out come for regular every day working people will be.

Forum List

Back