Why are democrats more Pro Immigration?

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013
With all the immigration talk recently I come to wonder why the Democrats are more pro immigration than Republicans? Bringing in all the cheap labor seems to be more of a benefit for the very rich who make more money off the cheap labor. Meanwhile the wages of others is driven down by lots of cheap labor. In my neighborhood there are lots of houses being built and few of the workers speak English. Something tells me these used to be well paying Union type jobs. It seems to me the Democrats are stabbing the Unions in the back. Curious what others think.

Let poor immigrants in, flood them with public benefits and they are democrat voters for life and so are their children.

With all the immigration talk recently I come to wonder why the Democrats are more pro immigration than Republicans? Bringing in all the cheap labor seems to be more of a benefit for the very rich who make more money off the cheap labor. Meanwhile the wages of others is driven down by lots of cheap labor. In my neighborhood there are lots of houses being built and few of the workers speak English. Something tells me these used to be well paying Union type jobs. It seems to me the Democrats are stabbing the Unions in the back. Curious what others think.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

America is a nation of immigrants.

I could be wrong, but historically legal immigrants?

You don’t understand it because you are looking at this the wrong way. You have painted republicans (incorrectly by the way) with the corporate shill paintbrush. This is no different than someone on the right painting a liberal with ‘I want to steel everything that you have so I don’t have to work’ paintbrush.

You might think that the policies they support lead to that outcome (weather or not it’s the republican or democrat paintbrush) or that the politicians are of that cloth BUT no matter what policies YOU think they support, they do not see it that way. Instead, they see support for what they think is right. In this instance, the moral or code that is in question for the republicans is the rule of law. Law states that these people are here illegally and that they should be deported and therefore that is what should happen. There is also the element of patriotism where republicans in general have a strong sense of ‘American’ meaning something and you are not an American until you become a citizen.

Generally speaking, liberals on the other hand look more to community and assistance. They value helping the less fortunate over a sense of ‘American’ or another nationality. They see law as more pliable as well. I won’t go into liberal to much because I am not one so I don’t want to misconstrue to much on that side but that is how I see it.

I think that your problem understanding what people want is the labeling of those philosophies with ‘negatives.’ We, as humans, generally do not think of ourselves as doing thing wrong or being shills for others even when we are. Instead, we see virtue in what we are doing.

At least that is MHO.

I could be wrong, but historically legal immigrants?

"Legal" to whom?

The people originally here?

No.

What are the benefits now? In the past we needed more people. Now with high unemloyment and median household income going down, I'm not sure it is so good.

Dems do NOT support immigration from europe but they love immigrants from third world sewers. They know those people are lazy and stupid and if they come to america and get citizenship, they will go on welfare and vote democrat the rest of their life.

Reagan wasn't pro immigration. He realized he made a mistake when he believed democrats really meant that if we just legalized those already here, they would secure the borders. Then Reagan realized that he was lied to.

From Reagan's own writing.

In 1986 I voted for the Simpson-Mazzoli immigration bill because we were told it would solve the problem of massive illegal immigration. In his diaries, President Ronald Reagan said he was going to sign the bill because we had to regain control of our borders. The Simpson-Mazzoli bill contained three promises:
The government would make a concerted effort to control the borders.
An effective employer verification program would ensure that only legal workers were hired.
One-time amnesty would be granted for people illegally in the United States.
All three promises were broken. The government has made no serious effort to control our borders. Employers continue knowingly to hire illegal immigrants without any real fear of punishment.

To answer the OP, I think the left wing are more comfortable with a multi-ethnic, cosmopoitan society than the right wing are. Ethnic diversity means diversity of religion, of language and culture - not everyone on the right welcomes that.

Ironically, immigration also brings the cheap labour many on the right wish to exploit. It also brings new consumers.

Take all of the recent immigrants out of LA, New York, London or Paris and the cities would cease to function within 24 hours.

Some conservatives may hate immigrants - but that does not mean they do not need them.

Forum List

Back