Why Are My Tax Dollars Going To Support Pbs

There are people who do not have cable tv....

Then run PBS over the air and see how it does. IF it is of value, advertisers will support it.

it is still not available in my region of Maine...while I still pay that stupid tax on all utility bills that is suppose to pay for these services coming to our area....but guess what, no such luck.... Not even broad band was available for the first 5 years living here, but 2 years ago we got a very very slow version of dsl from our phone company....we have the same telephone lines that were put in over 30 or 40 years ago....no fiber optics.....

So, one of the most far left regions in the nation, that forcibly extracts taxes to do what private companies do in the free states, provides you with either no, or shitty service?

:eek: I'm shocked.

and I live only a mile and a half from US 1, you'd think these companies would spread the love, but nope...nada, nothing....

PBS has wonderful broadcast programing, a huge alternative to the local stations, for those who do not have cable.

There is direct and dish virtually everywhere, so I'm not buying it

There are people who do not have cable tv....

Then run PBS over the air and see how it does. IF it is of value, advertisers will support it.

it is still not available in my region of Maine...while I still pay that stupid tax on all utility bills that is suppose to pay for these services coming to our area....but guess what, no such luck.... Not even broad band was available for the first 5 years living here, but 2 years ago we got a very very slow version of dsl from our phone company....we have the same telephone lines that were put in over 30 or 40 years ago....no fiber optics.....

So, one of the most far left regions in the nation, that forcibly extracts taxes to do what private companies do in the free states, provides you with either no, or shitty service?

:eek: I'm shocked.

and I live only a mile and a half from US 1, you'd think these companies would spread the love, but nope...nada, nothing....

PBS has wonderful broadcast programing, a huge alternative to the local stations, for those who do not have cable.

There is direct and dish virtually everywhere, so I'm not buying it
And I have Dish, when it decides to come through... :D

But many people here, don't....I am not in the Maine Woods, they have it much worse, not even cell service gets through, (cell doesn't come through here that well either, most of my calls or calls coming in are dropped within the first few seconds)....but my grocer is just 3 miles from here, and a MC Donalds, and a Subway, and a Dunkin Donuts, and a local movie theater in town, and the Post Office, (thank God) and a medical clinic...all 3 to 5 miles from here...but the Hospital and the Mall and all the restaurants from chains, are 30-35 miles from here.....outside of those American conveniences that are not available to us....it's the most beautiful place the hubby and I have ever lived. :)

Over the air is way worse.

In the Los Angeles market. there are now over a hundred over the air channels. I flirted with dumping cable, but the constant freezes and interruptions are too much to deal with. It's like Dish, but a hundred times worse.

But many people here, don't....I am not in the Maine Woods, they have it much worse, not even cell service gets through, (cell doesn't come through here that well either, most of my calls or calls coming in are dropped within the first few seconds)....but my grocer is just 3 miles from here, and a MC Donalds, and a Subway, and a Dunkin Donuts, and a local movie theater in town, and the Post Office, (thank God) and a medical clinic...all 3 to 5 miles from here...but the Hospital and the Mall and all the restaurants from chains, are 30-35 miles from here.....outside of those American conveniences that are not available to us....it's the most beautiful place the hubby and I have ever lived. :)

That's the trade off of rural living. You get less amenities, but you get clean air and beautiful scenery in exchange.

Over the air is way worse.

In the Los Angeles market. there are now over a hundred over the air channels. I flirted with dumping cable, but the constant freezes and interruptions are too much to deal with. It's like Dish, but a hundred times worse.

That's the trade off of rural living. You get less amenities, but you get clean air and beautiful scenery in exchange.
One of the best things in the World, living way up here in north eastern Maine, is NO TRAFFIC....we have become spoiled....from back roads, when we get to US1 to pull out on to it....if there are any cars at all on it and we have to wait a minute to pull out on to it....we actually bitch to each other about how bad the traffic is today, and can't wait for the "vacation season of visitors" to be over! :rofl: I kid you NOT.....

When we lived right outside of Boston and worked in Boston, WHAT A NIGHTMARE, especially when the "Big Dig" was going on....even Tampa/St Pete, before we moved up to the New England Region....My Lord, the traffic is a living nightmare....after getting used to no traffic up here for several years now....visiting my parents and sister in Florida is a real rude awakening on how it 'used to be'....

Yes, we are a poor connectivity area, for tv, for cell phones for internet...but I have deer and racoon and porcupine and moose, (and black bears, of which one was trying to get in to our shed this summer and we caught him, and he looked up at us with the sweetest dumb look like Scooby Doo and actually smiled at us, then ran away) and skunk and coyote and fox....haven''t seen a wolf but hear their howls at night, near the river, and Bald Eagles galore...and wild apple trees everywhere, and wild Plum trees, and wild raspberry, wild black berry, wild elderberries and wild beach roses all on our property....so it is a trade off that we needed....it's 'a breather'....we are just taking a 'breather' for now....will probably end up n the 'rat race' again some day...but I hope not.

One of the best things in the World, living way up here in north eastern Maine, is NO TRAFFIC....we have become spoiled....from back roads, when we get to US1 to pull out on to it....if there are any cars at all on it and we have to wait a minute to pull out on to it....we actually bitch to each other about how bad the traffic is today, and can't wait for the "vacation season of visitors" to be over! :rofl: I kid you NOT.....

When we lived right outside of Boston and worked in Boston, WHAT A NIGHTMARE, especially when the "Big Dig" was going on....even Tampa/St Pete, before we moved up to the New England Region....My Lord, the traffic is a living nightmare....after getting used to no traffic up here for several years now....visiting my parents and sister in Florida is a real rude awakening on how it 'used to be'....

Yes, we are a poor connectivity area, for tv, for cell phones for internet...but I have deer and racoon and porcupine and moose, (and black bears, of which one was trying to get in to our shed this summer and we caught him, and he looked up at us with the sweetest dumb look like Scooby Doo and actually smiled at us, then ran away) and skunk and coyote and fox....haven''t seen a wolf but hear their howls at night, near the river, and Bald Eagles galore...and wild apple trees everywhere, and wild Plum trees, and wild raspberry, wild black berry, wild elderberries and wild beach roses all on our property....so it is a trade off that we needed....it's 'a breather'....we are just taking a 'breather' for now....will probably end up n the 'rat race' again some day...but I hope not.

Where I'm at - Yorba Linda at the border of Corona - we have coyote, possums, raccoon, skunk, and rattle snakes.

We have perhaps the worst traffic in the nation. I don't just mean the world famous 91 freeway - which is every bit as bad as they say - but even side streets are a nightmare. 5 miles to the store could take a half hour due to snarled traffic. Between Corona, YL, and Anaheim Hills there are a good half-million people in the area. Yorba Linda Blvd on a Saturday morning is the 5th circle of hell - you simply don't move.

When I retire, I want to go to Idaho, but my wife wants to go to Phoenix, I hate the desert, she loves it. I love the North West, she hates it. I'm not sure what the compromise will be.

Glad you're happy where you are.

Where I'm at - Yorba Linda at the border of Corona - we have coyote, possums, raccoon, skunk, and rattle snakes.

We have perhaps the worst traffic in the nation. I don't just mean the world famous 91 freeway - which is every bit as bad as they say - but even side streets are a nightmare. 5 miles to the store could take a half hour due to snarled traffic. Between Corona, YL, and Anaheim Hills there are a good half-million people in the area. Yorba Linda Blvd on a Saturday morning is the 5th circle of hell - you simply don't move.

When I retire, I want to go to Idaho, but my wife wants to go to Phoenix, I hate the desert, she loves it. I love the North West, she hates it. I'm not sure what the compromise will be.

Glad you're happy where you are.

When I worked for a living, one of our Sales Meetings once a year was in Scottsdale, Arizona....basically the upscale area of Phoenix.... and I just could not get used to seeing pebbles for grass and cactus for shrubbery and mountains in the distance that were red with no green....I did think it was beautiful in its own way...but boy oh boy, was I longing to see some green vegetation, and mountains with forests and trees, and the coast line, by the time the week was over! I'm with you, the Northwest looks and seems lovely...the dessert, not so much....though I am certain I would make the best of it, if we had to live there!

So sorry about your traffic...I have no idea how many years were taken off of my life when we had those stressful traffic conditions....it's so different now, life is so much easier if you are willing to give up a few things.... Like good jobs :) ....not many to be found up here....thus, I opened my own internet business out of my home, for play money!

I don't know anything about, Moyer, Rose or, Iffel. I do know that I like the PBS world news, as it doesn't take any side; it just reports the news.
If I have one major complaint, it's that our nation's news agencies seem to find it necessary to try and put a political spin on most of the news stories, even to the point of absurdity. Even China's news agency on CCTV, does a better job of just reporting news.

Last edited:
Bill Moyer's Journal, Charlie Rose, and Gwen Iffel, are all rabid left wing nuts. Why are my tax dollars going to support their biased diatribe very single week? Wonder what left would say if Rush Limbaugh got taxpayer subsided air time on PBS?

Why is you christstain churches getting a tax free ride
Because they serve the community good and do not forcibly take my tax dollars.
Bush, it's always all about you and your measly tax dollars. Just like a typical republican. Damn, suck it up, we can't always choose where our money goes. My tax dollars went down a rathole in Iraq and Afghanistan and I moved on. The amount you pay towards PBS is probably 1/14000 of a penny.
My measly tax dollars? You mean the 31% that is sucked from me right from the top? Ohhhh no, why should I be passed about that. Especially when it goes to PBS to run a 5 hour series on those "progressive Roosevelt's " during an election year after Labor Day. Coincidence...I think not. Would they run a documentary on Goldwater, Reagan, and conservatism after Labor Day in 2016? No. I anticipate something about the "Obama Revolution" of 2008.

Should we make all taxes voluntary?
No. But they should be as apolitical as possible when spent and stick to the Enumerated Powers as per Article I Sec. 8.

It's time to pull the plug on Taxpayer-Funding of PBS and NPR. It should have happened a long time ago. They've proven they will not provide balance by hiring Conservatives/Republicans. Most of not all of their Hosts are far Left/Democrats. No one should be forced to pay for such propaganda. Just pull the plug now.

I trust a study commissioned by PBS about as much as I trust Harry Reid.

If only you had intelligence you could challenge the results of the poll.

Why would an intelligent person bother? The fact that PBS published it is sufficient information to judge the poll as nothing more than propaganda.

The sign of intelligence is that you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in life.

Believing that PBS is capable of publishing facts rather than propaganda is not a sign of intelligence. It has already demonstrated time after time that it's nothing but a government propaganda organ. That's its function, to broadcast pro-government propaganda.

Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in life.

Bush, it's always all about you and your measly tax dollars. Just like a typical republican. Damn, suck it up, we can't always choose where our money goes. My tax dollars went down a rathole in Iraq and Afghanistan and I moved on. The amount you pay towards PBS is probably 1/14000 of a penny.
My measly tax dollars? You mean the 31% that is sucked from me right from the top? Ohhhh no, why should I be passed about that. Especially when it goes to PBS to run a 5 hour series on those "progressive Roosevelt's " during an election year after Labor Day. Coincidence...I think not. Would they run a documentary on Goldwater, Reagan, and conservatism after Labor Day in 2016? No. I anticipate something about the "Obama Revolution" of 2008.

No. But they should be as apolitical as possible when spent and stick to the Enumerated Powers as per Article I Sec. 8.

Love this thread. Keep up the good work, 92.

It's time to pull the plug on Taxpayer-Funding of PBS and NPR. It should have happened a long time ago. They've proven they will not provide balance by hiring Conservatives/Republicans. Most of not all of their Hosts are far Left/Democrats. No one should be forced to pay for such propaganda. Just pull the plug now.

Yes just pull the plug. Pull the magic the People Don't Matter plug.

I frequently ask liberals to voluntarily pay more, lead by example, they refuse. Liberals are only generous with other peoples money. Most liberals I know are cheap bastards I'm constantly having to pay the tip as they skip out leaving the poor waitress nothing. Then they go attend a rally foaming at the mouth about raising the minimum wage.

How much are you voluntarily paying for our massively oversized military?

If there were no such thing as implied powers you might have a point. As it is, you're an idiot.

Oh, you want a real answer?

Sorry.

Your tax dollars go to fund PBS and what you see as their liberal agenda, because my tax dollars go to fund the military, and what I see as a conservative and warmongering agenda.

Maybe I should pay for PBS and you should pay for the military.

Of course, you know that's not how it works.

So how do we break this up. The "left"" military was responsible for helping Allies in ending holocaust BUT also responsible for the Japanese holocaust of hundreds of thousands dead due to the dropping of the atom bombs? AND responsible for the interment of Japanese and Italians in camps within the US. Allow me to remind you of Vietnam. 58,000 US soldier deaths, and 5 million Vietnamese civilians and soldiers killed most of which happened under democratic presidents. OF course, Iraq and Afghanistan under bush for 5 and 6 years respectively and under Obama for 3 and 5 years as well. So , tell me again about this right wing warmongering?

Bill Moyer's Journal, Charlie Rose, and Gwen Iffel, are all rabid left wing nuts. Why are my tax dollars going to support their biased diatribe very single week? Wonder what left would say if Rush Limbaugh got taxpayer subsided air time on PBS?

I guess it's a case of ignorance, bigotry and plain hatred on the left when they would compare Christian tax exempt status to the freaking taxpayer support of left wing propaganda.

Southern Baptist Churches aren't right wing propaganda?

I'm theologically very liberal, my wife is theologically very conservative. We've lived in eight States. I do agree that liberal theology tends to go strongly with liberal politics and conservatives theology tends to go with conservative politics. Generally we go to conservatives churches my wife wants, but we do go to some liberal churches too. I grew up in the Church of the Brethren and I've gone to Mennonite and Quaker churches.

The fact is that in liberal churches liberal politics is discussed openly and constantly. In all the States and churches I've gone to, I have not once heard politics discussed in a conservative service. You have your nice little liberal talking point, but the reality is, the rubber doesn't meet the road. Sorry, Charlie.

I'm not surprised since conservative are rather hypocritical.

You believe that a company that takes >$7 billion in taxpayer subsidies and pays so little that their employees qualify for >$6 billion in taxpayer supported welfare SHOULD BE nickel and dimeing their employees?

Why do you keep telling lies that you have been busted on dozens of times.

Walmart gets not one dime of federal subsidies

No matter how many times you tell this lie, it will remain a lie.

I wrote 'taxpayer subsidies.'

If there were no such thing as implied powers you might have a point. As it is, you're an idiot.

Prove there are implied powers.

Yes just pull the plug. Pull the magic the People Don't Matter plug.

How does PBS equate to "the people matter?"

I trust a study commissioned by PBS about as much as I trust Harry Reid.

If only you had intelligence you could challenge the results of the poll.

Why would an intelligent person bother? The fact that PBS published it is sufficient information to judge the poll as nothing more than propaganda.

The sign of intelligence is that you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in life.

Believing that PBS is capable of publishing facts rather than propaganda is not a sign of intelligence. It has already demonstrated time after time that it's nothing but a government propaganda organ. That's its function, to broadcast pro-government propaganda.

Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in life.

Anyone who believes that PBS isn't a geyser of propaganda is an idiot.

Forum List

Back