Why are the liberals so scared of voter ID?

I really do not know
The liberal agenda has gotten so out of whack, none of this including the issue of gays makes any sense to me
Two men? Married?
hell they could form an LLC and have the same thing for the most part
Federal benifits?
what was wrong with a "legal" union?
Nothing of value means any-thing to the left any-more
we have lost what was a great country through judical mandates that would never see the light of day through the will of the people

Not afraid, the liberals are instead (correctly) upset at the fact the GOP is pushing for these ridiculous, useless laws designed to do one thing and one thing only - disenfranchise the poorer classes.

Very shameful that the Republicans need to stoop to this level to win elections.

I don't understand....

Why would the poor be less inclined to have an ID than anybody else?

They don't drive?

They don't get Welfare?

They get SSI or Medicaid?

They don't get Food Stamps?

They don't work -- Anywhere?

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me

A lot of reasons.

IDs cost money and take time to get/renew. $35 might not seem like a lot to a middle class person, but to a poorer person it's a few meals. Choose feeding the kids and voting one might very easily choose feeding the kids.

Poor people sometimes work 2-3 jobs. End one shift and go to the next. On top of that, you have kids to take care of. In your opinion, is that person more or less likely to spend 2 hours at the DMV waiting in line for an ID to vote than say a stay-at-home mom or a person working a simple 9-5'er?

I mean, the Republicans are on record saying that these ID laws "help their side"; I don't think there's anything mysterious about it.

It's a shameful way to win the vote, if you ask me.

I really do not know
The liberal agenda has gotten so out of whack, none of this including the issue of gays makes any sense to me
Two men? Married?
Federal benifits?
we have lost what was a great country through judical mandates that would never see the light of day through the will of the people

Not afraid, the liberals are instead (correctly) upset at the fact the GOP is pushing for these ridiculous, useless laws designed to do one thing and one thing only - disenfranchise the poorer classes.

Very shameful that the Republicans need to stoop to this level to win elections.

Rather than do something to make more people want to vote for them, they want less people to vote. I think they should be working on things that will help people. This will only help a few Republicans.

The Constitution says that Congressmen shall be chosen by the people.

It doesn't say how, does it?
You're being ridiculous.

What other way has been used in over 200 years, other than voting?

Where in the Constitution does the Federal Government guarantee a right to vote?

It does not. Nowhere. No how.
Last I looked, Congressmen were members of Congress. Congress, is part of the federal government. And the Constitution say's those members shall be picked by the "People". That's the guarantee! Members of Congress cannot be picked by anyone else but us.

It's up to the States to decide how Congressmen, Senators and Electoral College Members are selected.
The States can only modify how that "right" is applied, they cannot replace it, or do away with it.

Look, I don't give a shit of you want to remain ignorant. That's up to you.
This isn't about me and disagreeing with you doesn't make me ignorant.

But the Courts currently agree that the Federal Constitution absolutely does NOT guarantee a right to vote.

Just google, "No constitutional right to vote" and you'll get hundreds of articles that agree with me and around zero that agree with you.

And the ones that agree with me? They're authored by the Supreme Court Of The United States
Are you referring to that same conservative SCOTUS that is systematically stripping American's of all it's Constitutional rights?

Is that who you're referring to?

Nail on head.

I really do not know
Two men? Married?
Federal benifits?

Explain to us how this disenfranchises the poor?
In fact who is it that is saying the poor are to dumb, or to "poor" to get a govt issued picture ID that is used to vote with?
The DL will give you one so you can open a bank account

Why have them show ID instead of just a signature?

Signature verification has worked for years

In fact who is it that is saying the poor are to dumb, or to "poor" to get a govt issued picture ID that is used to vote with?

I explained my reasoning just a few posts ago via #261.

It's not because they're "[too] dumb", those are your own words my friend.

Question JRK:
Why would Mike Turzai (Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader) say that "voter ID laws will allow Mitt Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania"?

If the law is designed to HELP Republicans, than (by deductive reasoning) it will either have to make it easier for conservatives to vote or more difficult for liberals to vote. Common sense tells me it's not the former (because stricter laws make things more difficult by nature), so it must be the latter.

Sorry pal, but you have no argument.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8]Turzai: Voter ID Will Allow Romney to Win Pa. - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

I explained my reasoning just a few posts ago via #261.

It's more difficult for a poor person to obtain an ID because of (a) the fee (can be up to $35 to renew a license, and when you're living paycheck to paycheck it can be an unnecessary expense), and (b) the time (poorer people are more likely to work 2-3 jobs, and don't have the luxury to spend 2 hrs at a DMV).

It's not because they're "[too] dumb", those are your own words my friend.

Question JRK:
Why don't you take a stab at explaining why Mike Turzai (Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader) would say "voter ID laws will allow Mitt Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania"?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8]Turzai: Voter ID Will Allow Romney to Win Pa. - YouTube[/ame]

I know why...

A whopping 43 percent of Philly voters may not have voter ID, according to new data

Why New Photo ID Laws Mean Some Won't Vote

"I get that all the time: 'What's the big deal? I just got my driver's license renewed, it took like five seconds,' " says Larry Norden, acting director of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University, which opposes these laws. "Frankly, that's why these laws have been so successful, because 89 percent of the population does have photo IDs."

That leaves another 3.2 million Americans who don't possess a government-issued picture ID, according to a recent study co-authored by Norden.[...]

By all estimates, those least likely to have a government-issued photo ID fall into one of four categories: the elderly, minorities, the poor and young adults aged 18 to 24. The Brennan Center estimates that 18 percent of all seniors and 25 percent of African-Americans don't have picture IDs.

How Voter ID Laws Impact Older Americans

The midwife at the 1949 home birth in rural South Carolina delivered a healthy baby girl but didn't file a birth certificate. Donna Jean Suggs grew up, got a Social Security card and found work as a home health aide. Try as she might, though, she couldn't get a birth certificate. That meant she couldn't get a driver's license or register to vote.

Nearly one in five citizens over 65 — about 8 million — lacks a current, government-issued photo ID, a 2006 Brennan Center study found. Most people prove their eligibility to vote with a driver's license, but people over 65 often give up their license and don't replace it with the state-issued ID that some states offer non-driving residents. People over 65 also are more likely to lack birth certificates because they were born before recording births was standard procedure.

If Republicans were winning elections this wouldn't be an issue at all. I don't think our system is broken. Republicans aren't going to win elections on issues that only help some politicians. They should focus on helping the people.

"I get that all the time: 'What's the big deal? I just got my driver's license renewed, it took like five seconds,' " says Larry Norden, acting director of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University, which opposes these laws. "Frankly, that's why these laws have been so successful, because 89 percent of the population does have photo IDs."

That leaves another 3.2 million Americans who don't possess a government-issued picture ID, according to a recent study co-authored by Norden.[...]

By all estimates, those least likely to have a government-issued photo ID fall into one of four categories: the elderly, minorities, the poor and young adults aged 18 to 24. The Brennan Center estimates that 18 percent of all seniors and 25 percent of African-Americans don't have picture IDs.

The midwife at the 1949 home birth in rural South Carolina delivered a healthy baby girl but didn't file a birth certificate. Donna Jean Suggs grew up, got a Social Security card and found work as a home health aide. Try as she might, though, she couldn't get a birth certificate. That meant she couldn't get a driver's license or register to vote.

Nearly one in five citizens over 65 — about 8 million — lacks a current, government-issued photo ID, a 2006 Brennan Center study found. Most people prove their eligibility to vote with a driver's license, but people over 65 often give up their license and don't replace it with the state-issued ID that some states offer non-driving residents. People over 65 also are more likely to lack birth certificates because they were born before recording births was standard procedure.

First off, I don't believe that so many people can live off the gubmint and not have an ID, which the government requires if you're going to sponge off of them.

Be that as it may, I'll tell you something else...

Hundreds of Thousands of good men died fighting to give these idiots the privilege of voting. Hundreds.Of.Thousands.

Millions more faced unbearable hardships.

And if anybody is too motherfukking lazy to get off their dead asses to go get a picture ID to vote?

Fukk 'em. Don't bother. You don't deserve it

I really do not know
Two men? Married?
Federal benifits?

I don't understand....

Why would the poor be less inclined to have an ID than anybody else?

They don't drive?

They don't get Welfare?

They get SSI or Medicaid?

They don't get Food Stamps?

They don't work -- Anywhere?

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me

We have lost this great nation of laws and men
and for that matter woman who believe the same out fore fathers did
This is allot about nothing

First off, I don't believe that so many people can live off the gubmint and not have an ID, which the government requires if you're going to sponge off of them.

Hundreds of Thousands of good men died fighting to give these idiots the privilege of voting. Hundreds.Of.Thousands.

And if anybody is too motherfukking lazy to get off their dead asses to go get a picture ID to vote?

you go

Why would a Republican leader say explicitly (on camera) that these voter ID laws would help Mitt Romney?

If you can answer that question, you'll understand why I think this initiative was slimy and petty. Repubs should win elections by winning people over, not by suppressing their opponent's ability to vote.

Last edited:

Why would a Republican leader say explicitly (on camera) that these voter ID laws would help Mitt Romney?

If you can answer that question, you'll understand why I think this initiative was slimy and petty. Repubs should win elections by winning people over, not by suppressing their opponent's ability to vote.

Because dimocraps commit massive voter fraud in every election.

Voter ID will help cut down on that.

Or have you forgotten about the conviction of an ENTIRE GROUP dedicated to voter fraud... ACORN?

And then there was the Al Franken voter fraud case in which he filed 1,099 votes from INCARCERATED prisoners in order to win an election by 369 votes.

dimocraps cheat. They lie. They scheme.

The entire organization is a criminal enterprise and most of the politicians are criminals and the voters aren't much better.

THAT is what dimocraps are pissed about. That this new law will make it more difficult for them to cheat.

And an OBTW, I am VERY aware that on some small, local levels, Republicans have been known to cheat too. Don't bother me with that chicken-shit case in Kentucky

But dimocraps? They've turned it into an art-form

by limiting the illegal vote? The dead vote? Being more assured alive US citizens are the ones voting? Couldn't possibly have anything like that to do with that statement, now could it?

Last edited:
who doesn't have an ID.....? dead people....? oh wait....those are the ones voting....

Anyone who does not drive and does not have a motor vehicle agency accessible to them. The elderly, poor, urban residents

The same people Republicans do not want to vote

Even old people have an ID of some sort. As do urban residents and yes even poor people. You're losing this argument.

Couple of my older aunts never had their license. They didnt need it.

Because dimocraps commit massive voter fraud in every election.

Voter ID will help cut down on that.

Or have you forgotten about the conviction of an ENTIRE GROUP dedicated to voter fraud... ACORN?

And then there was the Al Franken voter fraud case in which he filed 1,099 votes from INCARCERATED prisoners in order to win an election by 369 votes.

dimocraps cheat. They lie. They scheme.

The entire organization is a criminal enterprise and most of the politicians are criminals and the voters aren't much better.

THAT is what dimocraps are pissed about. That this new law will make it more difficult for them to cheat.

And an OBTW, I am VERY aware that on some small, local levels, Republicans have been known to cheat too. Don't bother me with that chicken-shit case in Kentucky

But dimocraps? They've turned it into an art-form

I don’t doubt that the Democrats have committed voter fraud (just like I don’t doubt that the Republicans have committed voter fraud), my point is that voter fraud is not significant and that the Republican’s motives are specifically aimed at keeping Dems away from poll booths (which is slimy).

But alright, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt…

You say that “massive” (ie HUGE, significant, earth shaking) voter fraud is occurring during US elections, and the Democrats are the main culprits – fine. Well show us some court cases and convictions. In order for fraud to be significant in a given Presidential election – for example – we’d need to see at least 1,000,000+ allegations/cases per cycle. Do you have some backup my dear?

Anyone who does not drive and does not have a motor vehicle agency accessible to them. The elderly, poor, urban residents

The same people Republicans do not want to vote

Even old people have an ID of some sort. As do urban residents and yes even poor people. You're losing this argument.

Couple of my older aunts never had their license. They didnt need it.

do they have a medicare card, a utility bill, a bill from the old folks home?

face it, dems oppose voter ID because it makes it harder for dead democrats to vote.

Forum List

Back