Why are U.S. cities the epicenter of gun violence?

I have argued this for years, that guns don't people, cities kill people...and the concept bubbled to the surface once again in an article from liberal leaning Vox...that 60% of gun homicides occur in just 50 major US cities.

According to Pew Research, 58% of rural households have legal guns (and 75% of those more than one) while urban household gun ownership is at 29% (mostly consisting of just one gun per household).

Here are your links:
A gun debate compromise: let cities and rural areas pass different laws ,
Rural and urban gun owners have different experiences, views on gun policy

So, here's the two part question...if gun control is the answer...

1] Why do cities, despite a deficit of legal gun owners, represent far and away the highest threat of gun violence to their citizenry. (And, for the record, the answer it isn't poverty...both urban and rural citizens face equal poverty levels.)

2] Why are rural areas where guns are prevalent significantly safer from gun violence?

Keep in mind, this is a correlation, not a conclusion...if we are going to reduce gun violence, we must understand it's root causes. Obviously more legal guns does not equate to more gun violence, and less guns with more regulation does not equate to less gun violence...so what forces are actually at work here?
Interesting question, although I wouldn't go so far as to jump to your final conclusion.

But I see you didnt offer your own.
I don't know the answer.

The answer to gun crimes is simple.
Commit one, 25 years automatic sentence no parol.
Fire that weapon in the commission of a crime 50 years automatic sentence no parol.
Kill someone in the commission of a crime with a firearm?
Life in prison or the death penalty depending on state law.
Personally I support a speedy trial and a speedy execution.
We already have the fullest jails in the world.

Mass shootings are a drop in the bucket compared to inner city murders.
And still very tragic and unique to the US. Nobody else regularly has them.

Neither do we.
They are quite frequent here relative to anywhere else in the civilized world.

I really dont care about the rest of the world one way or another.
The fact remains that most gun related murders are committed by inner city minorities.
Well they are obviously very frequent here. Just like our police more frequently shoot people and are themselves more frequently shot.

Other countries have big cities, and not our levels of gun violence. Strong gun control limits gun violence. Our crime rates dropped after we got background checks.

Frequently committed by inner city minorities yeah.

I have argued this for years, that guns don't people, cities kill people...and the concept bubbled to the surface once again in an article from liberal leaning Vox...that 60% of gun homicides occur in just 50 major US cities.

According to Pew Research, 58% of rural households have legal guns (and 75% of those more than one) while urban household gun ownership is at 29% (mostly consisting of just one gun per household).

Here are your links:

1] Why do cities, despite a deficit of legal gun owners, represent far and away the highest threat of gun violence to their citizenry. (And, for the record, the answer it isn't poverty...both urban and rural citizens face equal poverty levels.)

2] Why are rural areas where guns are prevalent significantly safer from gun violence?

Keep in mind, this is a correlation, not a conclusion...if we are going to reduce gun violence, we must understand it's root causes. Obviously more legal guns does not equate to more gun violence, and less guns with more regulation does not equate to less gun violence...so what forces are actually at work here?
Interesting question, although I wouldn't go so far as to jump to your final conclusion.

I don't know the answer.

Fire that weapon in the commission of a crime 50 years automatic sentence no parol.

Yeah? And whose filling them?

Neither do we.

The fact remains that most gun related murders are committed by inner city minorities.
Well they are obviously very frequent here. Just like our police more frequently shoot people and are themselves more frequently shot.

Other countries have big cities, and not our levels of gun violence. Strong gun control limits gun violence. Our crime rates dropped after we got background checks.

Mass shootings are pretty white actually.

Mass shootings are a drop in the bucket compared to inner city murders.

Neither do we.

Is that a fact ?

And the real question is: where’d they get the guns ?

It’s insane that teenagers can get ahold of a handgun ! They are dumb enough to use them too.

They stole them. Unlike law abiding citizens.

I don't know the answer.

Criminals obviously.

Neither do we.

Not when you consider percentage of population statistics.
Blacks in fact commit more mass shootings than whites.

I assume you have a link?

The worst mass shooters sure have been white.

I don't know the answer.

Criminals obviously.

You mean black and hispanic criminals.

Wrong.
Mass shootings in the U.S.: shooters by race 2018 | Statistic

Wrong.

Your own link disagrees with you.

"Between 1982 and June 2018, 59 out of 101 mass shootings were initiated by White shooters. "

Wrong.
Wrong? That tx church shooter sure looked white, same with that Vegas shooter and newtown. Those are some of the worst.

Here are your links:

You have lax policies toward violent gun offenders. If you look at those cities, especially the worst ones, the shooters have criminal records, often with illegal gun charges for violent crimes, and they are released on bail, and get light prison sentences.... that is the driver. The core of the problem is that in tiny areas of these cities you have generational family destruction, where teenage girls are raising young males without fathers......

Those are the two reasons we have gun violence in this country.

And you can't have cities and rural areas with different gun laws, we are all American citizens....besides...it isn't law abiding gun owners in those cities shooting each other....that is why the anti gunners don't make sense. The criminals are not going to follow the laws, they already don't, so banning guns for law abiding citizens, who need those guns to stop the violent gun criminals the democrats keep letting out of jail....will do nothing to lower the gun crime rate.

This is the truth......

Wrong.
Wrong? That tx church shooter sure looked white, same with that Vegas shooter and newtown. Those are some of the worst.

Dipshit.....

Mass public shooters average 75 people killed a year..... inner city gang members, in democrat controlled areas account for almost all of the other 11,004 murders in 2016....

Black on Black murder is the biggest driver of gun murder in this country. And it is happening in democrat controlled areas.

Because when we humanoids are packed in close spaces we tend to piss each other off.

No.....

In out cities you have left wing groups who fight to reduce the sentences of violent criminals, blaming everything but the criminal for the violent crime.

The driver of the violent crime rate is out of wedlock birth rates...... teenage girls raising males without fathers for generations.

Stop those two things and your crime problem goes away.

Wrong.

Dipshit.....

Mass public shooters average 75 people killed a year..... inner city gang members, in democrat controlled areas account for almost all of the other 11,004 murders in 2016....

Black on Black murder is the biggest driver of gun murder in this country. And it is happening in democrat controlled areas.
Dipshit, most mass shooters are white.

Because when we humanoids are packed in close spaces we tend to piss each other off.

No.....

In out cities you have left wing groups who fight to reduce the sentences of violent criminals, blaming everything but the criminal for the violent crime.

The driver of the violent crime rate is out of wedlock birth rates...... teenage girls raising males without fathers for generations.

Stop those two things and your crime problem goes away.
We have the fullest jails in the world.

I tend to agree with that...along with the anonymity a city inherently provides...but doesn't that make cities the problem and not guns?

You're probably right, so let's get everyone from the cities to move out to rural areas...perhaps your town.

That'll fix the problem...right?

Here are your links:

I don't know the answer.

Moron, democrats in democrat controlled cities let violent gun offenders out of prison in less than 3 years.... they also let violent gun offenders out on bail over and over again.....allowing them to commit murder during their free time.

How many people you lock up doesn't matter if you keep letting the violent criminals out over and over again.

Well, it has been interesting. If y'all figure out why cities seem to bring out the worst in us, let me know.

Forum List

Back