Why did Bush lie about Saddam being connected to 9/11?

Still not as important as deciding what we do now.

This thread isn't about NOW - it's about having factual history.

Factual history huh?/

From what I've read Bush never linked Saddam to 9-11. He did however link Iraq with Al Queda.
Still not as important as deciding what we do now.

This thread isn't about NOW - it's about having factual history.

Bush Reasserts Hussein-Al Qaeda Link washingtonpost.com

Bush Says Saddam Hussein Was Not Connected to 9 11.

Google is your friend. Use it.

I'm an agnostic, raised and confirmed Catholic, but educated and cannot seem to believe in the supernatural. Besides, organized religions are a problem.

Dude, liberalism is your religion. Seriously, they need to create a liberal reading class for liberals who aren't even up to taking remedial reading. They need to start by taking the red out of your eyes so you can see the words past your blind trust in government.

I did read the first sentence, maybe I missed your point

Um...yeah. I told you I'm against the Iraq war, you started telling me why it was a bad idea.

. Saddam was no different than most despots, and I don't believe we ought to be the police force for the world. So if Saddam was still alive, Iraq would still be a hostile country to its citizens, and the bullet points I posted would not be needed or considered.

Gotcha, most dictators start two wars by invading their neigbhors and use WMDs on them as well as their own people. You really need to pay more attention to what's going on in the world. Maybe then you wouldn't say idiotic things like you miss Saddam Hussein.

Funny how 80% of the country believed Saddam was responsible for 9/11 after listening to Booshies and Fox etc for 6 months...

He paid the families of suicide bombers and other terrorist outside of Iraq which made him complicit in it all. I know facts are inconvenient things to your propaganda, deal with it.
He funded various terrorist groups, as well as Palestinian ones, but not Al Qaeda.

Sadam spread a lot of money around, no one can say with certainty where it all went, do I think he was part of the planning and execution of 9/11, I doubt it, but he was a state sponsor of terrorism.

He sponsored a group fighting in Palestine and a group fighting in Iran. He was opposed to religious fanatics like al Qaeda.

Funny how 80% of the country believed Saddam was responsible for 9/11 after listening to Booshies and Fox etc for 6 months...

He paid the families of suicide bombers and other terrorist outside of Iraq which made him complicit in it all. I know facts are inconvenient things to your propaganda, deal with it.
He funded various terrorist groups, as well as Palestinian ones, but not Al Qaeda.

Sadam spread a lot of money around, no one can say with certainty where it all went, do I think he was part of the planning and execution of 9/11, I doubt it, but he was a state sponsor of terrorism.

He sponsored a group fighting in Palestine and a group fighting in Iran. He was opposed to religious fanatics like al Qaeda.

Except when he offered Bin Laden safe harbor.

There is also evidence that around this time Bin Ladin sent out a number of feelers to the Iraqi regime, offering some cooperation. None are reported to have received a significant response. According to one report, Saddam Hussein's efforts at this time to rebuild relations with the Saudis and other Middle Eastern regimes led him to stay clear of Bin Ladin.

In mid-1998, the situation reversed; it was Iraq that reportedly took the initiative. In March 1998, after Bin Ladin's public fatwa against the United States, two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelligence. In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin's Egyptian deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis. In 1998, Iraq was under intensifying U.S. pressure, which culminated in a series of large air attacks in December.

National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States

What Bush said was this that there was a relationship between Saddam Hussein's Iraq and Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda he never said that the 9/11 attacks were orchestrated between Saddam and Al Qaeda. Please stop with the lying.
He certainly implied it and every single Bush supporter at the time was eating it up and believing it.
Actually he didn't that is claim repeated by the far left in an attempt to make their fantasy talking point a reality. It's like how they claimed over and over Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her backyard when in fact that was Tina Fey in an SNL skit.
Again you are wrong. I was on a couple or political forums when Bush declared war on Iraq and every single Bush supporter was spouting out "there are ties between Saddam and Osama, some were even saying Saddam was resonsible for 911. The site is down now but if Whistlestopper Forums still had all their history you would be eating your words right now.

What Bush said was this that there was a relationship between Saddam Hussein's Iraq and Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda he never said that the 9/11 attacks were orchestrated between Saddam and Al Qaeda. Please stop with the lying.
He certainly implied it and every single Bush supporter at the time was eating it up and believing it.
Actually he didn't that is claim repeated by the far left in an attempt to make their fantasy talking point a reality. It's like how they claimed over and over Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her backyard when in fact that was Tina Fey in an SNL skit.
Again you are wrong. I was on a couple or political forums when Bush declared war on Iraq and every single Bush supporter was spouting out "there are ties between Saddam and Osama, some were even saying Saddam was resonsible for 911. The site is down now but if Whistlestopper Forums still had all their history you would be eating your words right now.
No I wouldn't because the truth is on my side especially when someone claims they know what every single Bush supporter believed.

He was? Do you have evidence?

Saddam Hussein s Support for International Terrorism
BBC NEWS Middle East Palestinians get Saddam funds
Saddam Rewards Suicide Bombers Families - ABC News

I guess you haven't read the whole thread, but feel free to keep believing that.

The Bush administration tried, but failed, to establish a connection between Iraq and 9.11 ...

• "it's been pretty well confirmed that he did go to Prague and he did meet with a senior official of the Iraqi intelligence service in Czechoslovakia last April, several months before the attack." - Dick Cheney

Iraq 9 11 Still Linked By Cheney

In George Bush's speeches, he would go on and on about being attacked by Al Qaeda on 911. Then right after Al qaeda and 911 were ingrained in your head, Bush and his staff would definitely insinuate a connection. I mean it's all semantics that Bush didn't actually come out and say Saddam or Iraq was responsible for 911 but he and his staff certainly implied it.

The war on terror, you can't distinguish between al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror. And so it's a comparison that is -- I can't make because I can't distinguish between the two, because they're both equally as bad, and equally as evil, and equally as destructive. George W. Bush, President
Remarks By President Bush, The Oval Office
9/25/2002
So, yes, there are contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda. We know that Saddam Hussein has a long history with terrorism in general. And there are some al Qaeda personnel who found refuge in Baghdad...There clearly are contacts between al Qaeda and Iraq that can be documented. Condoleeza Rice, US National Security Advisor
NewsHour with Jim Lehrer
9/26/2002
Iraq and al Qaeda have discussed safe haven opportunities in Iraq, reciprocal nonaggression discussions. We have what we consider to be credible evidence that al Qaeda leaders have sought contacts in Iraq who could help them acquire weapons of mass destruction capabilities Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense
Comments To Reporters
9/27/2002
We've learned that Iraq has trained al Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases. George W. Bush, President
Cincinnati, Ohio Speech
10/7/2002
We could wait and hope that Saddam does not give weapons to terrorists, or develop a nuclear weapon to blackmail the world. But I'm convinced that is a hope against all evidence George W. Bush, President
Cincinnati, Ohio Speech
10/7/2002
we need to think about Saddam Hussein using al Qaeda to do his dirty work, to not leave fingerprints behind. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President in Michigan Welcome
10/14/2002
This is a person who has had contacts with al Qaeda George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President at New Mexico Welcome
10/28/2002
He's got connections with al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President in Colorado Welcome
10/28/2002
This is a guy who has had connections with these shadowy terrorist networks. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President at South Dakota Welcome
10/31/2002
We know he's got ties with al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President at New Hampshire Welcome
11/1/2002
in terms of its [Iraq's] support for terrorism, we have established that Iraq has permitted Al-Qaeda to operate within its territory. As the President said recently, "The regime has long-standing and continuing ties to terrorist organizations. And there are Al-Qaeda terrorists inside Iraq." The President has made his position on Iraq eminently clear, and in the coming weeks and months we shall see what we shall see. John Bolton, Undersecretary of State for Arms Control
Speech to the Hudson Institute
11/1/2002
We know that he's had connections with al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President in Florida Welcome
11/2/2002
He's had connections with shadowy terrorist networks like al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President in Atlanta, Georgia Welcome Remarks by the President in Atlanta, Georgia Welcome
11/2/2002
We know that he has had contacts with terrorist networks like al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President at Tennessee Welcome
11/2/2002
This is a man who has had contacts with al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President in Minnesota Welcome
11/2/2002
And, not only that, he is -- would like nothing better than to hook-up with one of these shadowy terrorist networks like al Qaeda, provide some weapons and training to them, let them come and do his dirty work, and we wouldn't be able to see his fingerprints on his action. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President in South Dakota Welcome
11/3/2002
He is a man who would likely -- he is a man who would likely team up with al Qaeda. He could provide the arsenal for one of these shadowy terrorist networks. He would love to use somebody else to attack us, and not leave fingerprints behind. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President at Illinois Welcome
11/3/2002
This is a man who has had al Qaeda connections. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President at Missouri Welcome
11/4/2002
He's had contacts with al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President at Arkansas Welcome
11/4/2002
This is a man who has got connections with al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
Remarks by the President in Texas Welcome
11/4/2002
Evidence from intelligence sources, secret communications, and statements by people now in custody reveal that Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists, including members of al Qaeda. George W. Bush, President
State of the Union Speech
1/28/2003
"Senior members of Iraqi intelligence and al-Qaeda have met at least eight times since the early 1990s. Iraq has sent bomb-making and document forgery experts to work with al-Qaeda" and "Iraq has also provided al-Qaeda with chemical and biological weapons training." Bush 2/16/2003

"I continue to believe — I think there's overwhelming evidence that there was a connection between al-Qaeda and the Iraqi government. I'm very confident that there was an established relationship there." Dick Cheney 1/21/2004

Bush never claimed that Saddam was responsible for 9/11.
He did claim that Saddam supported terrorists.
He did say that 9/11 taught us that we can't just sit back and wait for them to attack us first that 9/11 shows us we need to hit them before they hit us. Which is a reason we went after Saddam, to hit him before he hit us.

Liberals don't understand logic.

He was? Do you have evidence?

Saddam Hussein s Support for International Terrorism
BBC NEWS Middle East Palestinians get Saddam funds
Saddam Rewards Suicide Bombers Families - ABC News

Interesting, not what I expected when one thinks of a much larger effort when a nation-state sponsors terrorism; thank you for the reply.

He did say that 9/11 taught us that we can't just sit back and wait for them to attack us first that 9/11 shows us we need to hit them before they hit us. Which is a reason we went after Saddam, to hit him before he hit us.

The Bush administration falsely established a connection between a 9.11 terrorist and Iraq. The purpose was to plant the seeds in the American conscious that Iraq was involved in 9.11; and it worked since more than 70% of people polled believed Iraq was involved.

Logic? With the reasoning expressed by Bush (and you?) why didn't Bush go after Iran and N. Korea? This logic is the same used as an excuse to go into Vietnam, another mistake which cost our nation lives, treasure and prestige.

The Bush administration falsely established a connection between a 9.11 terrorist and Iraq. The purpose was to plant the seeds in the American conscious that Iraq was involved in 9.11; and it worked since more than 70% of people polled believed Iraq was involved.

No
That is what the mainstream media did.
Bush never tired Saddam with 9/11.

No

"In his prime-time press conference last week, which focused almost solely on Iraq, President Bush mentioned Sept. 11 eight times. He referred to Saddam Hussein many more times than that, often in the same breath with Sept. 11.

"Bush never pinned blame for the attacks directly on the Iraqi president. Still, the overall effect was to reinforce an impression that persists among much of the American public: that the Iraqi dictator did play a direct role in the attacks. A New York Times/CBS poll this week shows that 45 percent of Americans believe Mr. Hussein was "personally involved" in Sept. 11, about the same figure as a month ago."

Link: The impact of Bush linking 9 11 and Iraq - CSMonitor.com

No
The mainstream media put those words in Cheney's mouth?

Of course not. The MSM merely broadcast the Bush Administration's attempt to establish the connection.

Forum List

Back