Why did so many Dems vote for Iraq War

Bingo, so stop the Bush lied crap, he didn't, he believed it, and focus on that we should not have invaded, period. Democrats need to stop the lie they were duped and say they were wrong, but they learned. That would be something I could get behind. But continuing to use the lie you were duped for vote pandering I can't get behind
Germany never attack the US mainland.

When war was declared between Germany and the U.S. in 1941, the German High Command immediately recognized that current German military strength would be unable to attack or invade the United States directly.

But Germany DID sink dozens of US ships in the Gulf of Mexico...within US waters.

A thread to rehash an age old argument............on how after the War didn't turn out the way they had hoped..........that they jumped ship...........like rats..........................saying now they regret their vote................

Ignoring that when Clinton was in office he said the same thing..................

It's BAD PR to STAND BEHIND your VOTE BACK THEN..................so MAKE EXCUSES...................

Finally, the country wasn't under control of ISIL when Bush was still in office...................

Changed when a Chamberlain entered office and withdrew and didn't take any action until it was almost too late..........Now still bombing the country.............trying to cut deals with Iran to get them to get rid of ISIL even though we will get rid of one evil for another..............

Dems and GNAT party of excuses.

Face it lefties, Obama's lack of leadership and siding with the wrong side at every turn has helped set the ME on fire... it's an unmitigated disaster. Blaming it on Bush ain't gonna work. Bush has been gone for nearly seven years.

Obumbler and his merry band of incompetents, including Hillary owns it.. all of it.
Face it

Bush disrupted the Middle East and left it to future Presidents to deal with. The consequences of Bush's Il-fated nation building will be felt for generations
Like it wasn't disrupted before he came into office...........it's always been disrupted unless you live under a rock.

An on-going "excuse" that many right wingers on here have about supporting the wasteful, horrible and unproductive war ON Iraq (not just "in Iraq") is that many democrats ALSO voted for such a war.....

They're somewhat correct on this and I, for one, have much less respect for those democrats who foolishly went along with the LIES of the murderous Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz...... It is salutary for right wingers to tacitly and finally admit that the war was a DISASTER and, to some extent, I don't blame them for trying to share the blame far and wide to ease their own sorry conscience.....

However, there's an ancient axiom that states:

If one tells you a lie.....and you repeat it thinking it to be true, ultimately WHO is the culpable liar?

The yay vote in October 2002 was the correct vote in that Bush was standing down his war enthusiasm for going through the UN instead. There were no UN inspectors in Iraq in October 2002 a year after the horror of 9/11.

There were inspectors in Iraq in 2003 finding no WMDs and Iraq was cooperating. There was a chance for no war with the yay votes in October 2002.

Remember Bush could have invaded Iraq with the original war on terror AUMF. Bush stepped up bombing Iraq during the summer do 2002. War was already started before the vote anyway.

There is no excuse for Bush deciding on his own to kick those inspectors out.

Maybe it had something to do with the Billy Clinton administration before Bush

SNIP:
What Did The Democrats Say About Iraq's WMD ??

For several months, John Kerry and his peers have blasted President Bush over the Iraqi War. Interestingly, President Bush stated, simply, that there was a "grave danger" of Saddam Hussein acquiring and building "Nuclear Weapons and other WMDs" during "the next six months, at the time of the outbreak of war. He later stated: "We all believed there were stockpiles, since we'd been lectured on the subject by the Clinton Administration for several years." To date, not a single Democrat has owned up to responsibility for the claims of "stockpiles", which were not what President Bush stated. We note that the Democrats rely upon the weakness of the memory of the American Public to cloud the issue over. They blame Bush for Democratic Party misrepresentations. ACSA believes the Democrats are trying to ride their own misrepresentations into the White House, we thought we'd publish what each one said, among a crowd of similar statements by ALL the Democrats, who are now accusing Bush of something he did not say and did not do... This dishonesty by the Democratic Party has seriously muddied the political process in the 2004 election. Here's what the Democrats said about Iraq's WMDs (including the source of each quote):

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003 | Source

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998 | Source

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
- President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998 | Source

"We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction."
- Madeline Albright, Feb 1, 1998 | Source

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
- Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998 | Source

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton.
- (D) Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, others, Oct. 9, 1998 | Source

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998 | Source

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 | Source

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 | Source

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002 | Source

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002 | Source

all of it here:
What Did The Democrats Say About
And yet no democrat was idiotic enough to go and actually invade Iraq.

Authorizing it is the same thing!
Here's a rope. I authorize you to go hang yourself with it.

2007 War is Lost by Reid...................

Yet the surge worked and calmed the situation...........even though prominent Dems were IT'S OVER WE LOST...................

Yes it was lost when Obama took office.

think Bush had grand visions of reshaping the Islamic world. This was going to be his legacy
Getting the guys who did 9-11 was not enough. He had to change the entire region in Americas image. Install democracies in Afganistan and Iraq and then watch as a Democratic domino theory runs through Iran, Syria, Pakistan and Libya

We saw what really happened

My friend, I would not give Bush all of that "credit" for even wanting a legacy or having a "vision".....Now, murderous Cheney. is another story.

You can't hide against History...............They agreed before Bush was even President...............

You can't run from it...........all you can do is back peddle and make excuses.

After all of the responses on this thread, lets us all keep something in mind.....Yes, mistakes were made either intentionally or by lack of courage.....and democrats were also to blame for their cowardice.

HOWEVER, the measure...the rationale....of/for judgment by US voters toward political figures, should be this:

How many elected officials REGRET the Iraq mistake....and how many still bullshit us that it was "the right thing to do..."

Judge wisely.

Also ask yourself this question.......

Cheney and his sidekick GWB......came up with the "cute" slogan of the Axis of Evil.....Iran, Iraq and N. Korea.....
Why....WHY....did we choose to ONLY attack Iraq?

(the answer as to why we attacked only Iraqis may be found under their feet.)

After all of the responses on this thread, lets us all keep something in mind.....Yes, mistakes were made either intentionally or by lack of courage.....and democrats were also to blame for their cowardice.

HOWEVER, the measure...the rationale....of/for judgment by US voters toward political figures, should be this:

How many elected officials REGRET the Iraq mistake....and how many still bullshit us that it was "the right thing to do..."

Judge wisely.
aka Hindsight.......................convenient......................it's always easier to say how wrong something is after the fact..................it's a hell of a lot harder for not having the gift of hindsight.....................

Had I have been driving we wouldn't have wrecked.............I'd have known..................EXCUSES................and your side was ready to Capitulate back in 2007 yet the surge worked.....................

Typical.................

I'd like to say they were innocent dupes of bad intelligence

But in truth, they were cowards
In the post 9-11 hysteria, they were unwilling to take the tag of "soft on terrorism" and Republicans were chomping at the bit to use it. After the attacks, Bush was given a 9-11 card to do anything necessary in the war on terror....to oppose what he wanted was unpatriotic

It was the last time Bush used his 9-11 Card

In a post 9-11 hysteria, Democrats were chomping at the bit to throw Bush and Cheney under the bus. Here is the evidence. Guantanimo is still open, the NSA is collecting every email and phone call, consistent with the Patriot Act. Wake up

Cheney and his sidekick GWB......came up with the "cute" slogan of the Axis of Evil.....Iran, Iraq and N. Korea.....

You cannot tell how Iran, Iraq, and N.Korea are any different today.

aka Hindsight.......................convenient......................it's always easier to say how wrong something is after the fact..................it's a hell of a lot harder for not having the gift of hindsight.....................

Had I have been driving we wouldn't have wrecked.............I'd have known..................EXCUSES................and your side was ready to Capitulate back in 2007 yet the surge worked.....................

Typical.................

Speaking of "typical" bullshit, Beagle, I castigated dems who voted to go to war........Have ANY of your ilk done the same against republicans?

No, sir. You are the one LYING. What we knew in 2003 after inspections was much different than in 2002 when the vote for authorization of force was held.

Wrong! But you keep thinking that far left revisionist history exists in reality..

The U.S. stated that the intent was to remove "a regime that developed and used weapons of mass destruction, that harbored and supported terrorists, committed outrageous human rights abuses, and defied the just demands of the United Nations and the world."

So you are claiming all those are incorrect?

And none of that was a legitimate case for war.

Bingo, so stop the Bush lied crap, he didn't, he believed it, and focus on that we should not have invaded, period. Democrats need to stop the lie they were duped and say they were wrong, but they learned. That would be something I could get behind. But continuing to use the lie you were duped for vote pandering I can't get behind

This is very like the lies we heard from Ronnie Ray-Gun:

I don't know
I don't recall
I don't remember

Which do you want to believe? That Bush and Reagan were ignorant? or lying?

Either way, they lied to the American public.

I know you're stupid, so I'll dumb this down for you.

Both parties had the information and said the same thing.

NO, they didn't. 147 Democrats voted against the war. 7 Republicans voted against the war.

That is not both parties saying the same thing.

As you see, the Neocon RWnuts who once supported the war are now trying to blame it on the Democrats.

That's THEIR way of admitting they were wrong.

....and THAT was the entire intent of my original post.....

Judge wisely.

The far left will say what they need to make you drones believe whatever they want you to believe.

Forum List

Back