Why did the corporate tax cuts fail?

So I guess trumpers think the goal was to increase deficits and slow the economy.

What's it like lying to yourself day after day after day and knowing if you admit the truth your entire economic philosophy will be destroyed?
That seems like a good question for the trumpers. You see gdp growth went down last year?

You see gdp growth went down last year?

Was it higher than Obama's 1.6% in 2016?
How does it matter? It was lower than 2014 and 2015 and 2017 and 2018. Not what trump promised.

How does it matter?

Looks like Trump has improved on the economy Obama left him.

Record low unemployment, record DOW, consumer confidence at an all time high, new trade treaties that benefit the U.S. What's not to like?
We are discussing the corporate tax cuts. Unemployment has been declining since 2010. Dow isn't really a good economic indicator and could drop in a day. Last I checked consumer confidence has been falling. Trumps trade war so far has hurt farmers and manufacturing.

Two years after his administration passed a massive tax cut for corporations meant to spur economic growth, the verdict is in, and the results are embarrassing.
Unemployment is down and real wages are up.

How embarrassing!
Unemployment has been going down since 2010. Wages are sad. In 2000 wage growth was over 5%, now it's around 3%.

In 2000 wage growth was over 5%

The Internet Bubble was cool!!!
It's funny how you have no real responses and just parrot yourself constantly.

It's funny how you have no real responses

You think the wage growth in 2000 was unrelated to the Internet Bubble?
Looks like mine was an excellent, on-point response.

So I guess trumpers think the goal was to increase deficits and slow the economy.

What's it like lying to yourself day after day after day and knowing if you admit the truth your entire economic philosophy will be destroyed?
That seems like a good question for the trumpers. You see gdp growth went down last year?

How does it matter? It was lower than 2014 and 2015 and 2017 and 2018. Not what trump promised.

How does it matter?

Looks like he increased deficits to a trillion dollars with no real growth. Again, lower than 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018.....

Two years after his administration passed a massive tax cut for corporations meant to spur economic growth, the verdict is in, and the results are embarrassing.

How embarrassing!
Unemployment has been going down since 2010. Wages are sad. In 2000 wage growth was over 5%, now it's around 3%.

You think wages growth hovering around 3% is good? Economists disagree with you....

Those of us living in reality can now say that the corporate tax cuts were a failure that hurt revenue and did nothing for the economy. So the question is why? I think it likely has to do with the fact so many of our corporations are near monopolies. Curious what others think.

Trump handed big business a massive tax cut, and all he got in return was embarrassment

Two years after his administration passed a massive tax cut for corporations meant to spur economic growth, the verdict is in, and the results are embarrassing. The tax cuts did not "unleash animal spirits" (as the business media is so fond of saying). And it did not usher in a period of 3% GDP growth(as Trump's administration was so fond of echoing).

The plan did not — by any stretch of the imagination — "pay for itself with growth and reduced deductions," as Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said it would back in 2017. In fact, the US budget deficit has grown by 50% since Trump took office.

Bring in the Democrats and Liberals and really watch the deficit soar. It’s not like your side plans to cut spending..... just raise taxes for the State.
I’m an independent. You didn’t come close to answering the question, trump really made deficits soar btw.

Ok, so how do Democrats fix that?

How embarrassing!

According to trump this is a much stronger economy....

How does it matter?

Looks like he increased deficits to a trillion dollars with no real growth. Again, lower than 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018.....

Looks like he increased deficits to a trillion dollars with no real growth.

Real growth higher than Obama left him.

Again, lower than 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018.....

Yup. The economy is cyclical. The recovery is getting old.

Those of us living in reality can now say that the corporate tax cuts were a failure that hurt revenue and did nothing for the economy. So the question is why? I think it likely has to do with the fact so many of our corporations are near monopolies. Curious what others think.

Trump handed big business a massive tax cut, and all he got in return was embarrassment

Two years after his administration passed a massive tax cut for corporations meant to spur economic growth, the verdict is in, and the results are embarrassing. The tax cuts did not "unleash animal spirits" (as the business media is so fond of saying). And it did not usher in a period of 3% GDP growth(as Trump's administration was so fond of echoing).

The plan did not — by any stretch of the imagination — "pay for itself with growth and reduced deductions," as Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said it would back in 2017. In fact, the US budget deficit has grown by 50% since Trump took office.

Bring in the Democrats and Liberals and really watch the deficit soar. It’s not like your side plans to cut spending..... just raise taxes for the State.
I’m an independent. You didn’t come close to answering the question, trump really made deficits soar btw.

Ok, so how do Democrats fix that?
Undoing everything trump has done would help.

How embarrassing!

You think wages growth hovering around 3% is good? Economists disagree with you....

You think wages growth hovering around 3% is good?

Sounds higher than we had under Obama......

How does it matter?

You have some imagination. Trillion dollar deficits and slowing growth isn't good.

Actually it's about the same.

How does it matter?

You have some imagination. Trillion dollar deficits and slowing growth isn't good.

Trillion dollar deficits and slowing growth isn't good.

I agree, it wasn't good in 2011 or 2012 either.

It is amazing hearing people try to defend shrinking gdp growth when we have trillion dollar deficits. These same morons were tea party.... There is no real debate that the tax cuts failed to deliver what trump promised. So why is that?

The economy continues to expand at a decent rate, unemployment remains low, and it seems that indicators for increased production output are in the positive territory. The Fed just decided that the economy is strong enough that they decided to leave interest rates flat, oh and China is nearing a tailspin economically, while Mexico is doing our work for us in keeping illegals out. They are also on board for the new trade agreement. Then there is the timely and well-managed regulation cuts.

Trump has screwed up, however. He has failed to cut government spending to acceptable levels. His spend-happy ways really make the GOP look like Democrat lite.

No, the tax cuts haven't failed. That is spin and lies in an effort to tarnish this administration's accomplishment, which aren't numerous enough, but there is another 5 years to go given the piss poor candidates the disloyal opposition is putting forth.

Until such time as Trump manages to cut spending (real cuts, not cuts in growth), I'll always consider his time as a 'push'.

When did we have 3% wage growth under Obama?

Fail?....look at the unemployment rate dumbass.....
That was happening anyway.
You morons are so predictable....
Just like how predictable lower unemployment was, it was headed that way since 2010....
Always gonna happen with the dems...headed that way....but never arrives...you get conned by them willingly...WHY?...dems are always going to fix things at least that's what the say and that's what their media says...but they never do...they just make things worse and make life more challenging for people that want to advance in life....
Trump has made what dems promise happen...he is checking off the swamps list of never achieved promises and getting shit done...
What do you do?...do you work?...are you retired?...are you employed by government?...how is it you can't see the truth for yourself?....I really don't understand folks like you and I'm happy as hell that your numbers are shrinking....

How does it matter?

Trillion dollar deficits and slowing growth isn't good.

I agree, it wasn't good in 2011 or 2012 either.
I agree. So now that we agree the corporate tax cuts were a failure do you care to answer why you think they failed?

When did we have 3% wage growth under Obama?
That's a long answer. The short answer is our capitalism is very broken.

Forum List

Back