Why Did You Leave Christianity Behind?

My parents weren't religious, but did teach me certain values that have served me well over the years. Values that I heard again when I decided to attend my first church service.

I never stepped foot in a church until I was 15. I've been to several, of different denominations, over the next 9 years.

I stopped going after a few months of attending a baptist church because I didn't agree with a sermon.

I saw a level of weirdness and hypocrisy that turned me off from all the churches I attended. It just wasn't for me.
Hi tycho1572
You remind me how , as a Constitutionalist , I can barely tolerate most of the garbage going on with my own D party and half the govt which violates basic Constituional principles and ethics. But things won't get corrected if the people who want consistent standards stay away and leave it to the wolves to run things into the ground.

If you can find one person or one group that teaches and lives by the standards and meaning you believe in, I encourage you to support that group.

I didn't fit in with one UU church that was too cliquish with the liberal agenda and rejecting anything challenging that but I did go back to an older UU fellowship that welcomed both old school and new school and are closer to inclusion of diversity I believe in.

Keep searching and at the very least you will collect a circle of friends around you that is your own unique fellowship . that's enough . it doesn't have to be a big group to be legit, it will be whatever is natural for you. Every person and path is different . the UU are all over the map, if you want to check that out. But same trick applies, if one group doesn't click for you, try another as each is different depending on the unique chemistry between the members . even within the same denomination, so don't give up. Took me 20 years, so I hope you fare better than I did trying to fit in somewhere long-term !
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. :)

I didn't start attending different churches because I was looking for friends, or anything else. I did it out of curiosity.

I can see and understand the importance of church for some people. The ones I attended just didn't rise to the level of respect I was taught by my parents.

The last sermon I heard was about how women should submit to their husbands. There was previous talk about them wearing makeup.
That's when I decided I was done.

I'll also say I sometimes meet people who are 'church people'. They're often the rudest and nastiest people I encounter.

You realize
People who reject Christianity aren't necessarily anti Christian. I'm not anti Christian but I am opposed to Christians telling me what I should believe - that God and sin exist for me as well as for Christians.
That does seem to be a common point of contention. That a person can go through thier day, to day without a concern, or fear of angering a god who will torture you for eternity, because you broke some rule another person told you about...
Myself? I find it quite liberating. And seldom do I find myself violating any of the nine virtues I hold most dear. I'm not in any danger of bringing dishonor to my family name, or fouling any legacy I may leave behind after death. Which is about the only thing besides my blood that will carry on after I die. To take full command, and responsibility for ones mortal life is the most exhilarating feeling I've ever had.
You know of course that the self.serving attitude you just described is.the.same mantra the satanists.prescribe, right?
And just hazarding a blind wild guess... I'd be willing to bet that it is not the same "mantra" especially because the one I live my life by, is not self serving. At least no more than most people you probably know.
no, I'm not guessing. I've read the writings of the founders of the Church if Satan. You should know better than to think I would ever make a claim like that without having knowledge of it. Unlike the atheist asshats who spout nonsense about Christianity, I actually research stuff.
"I" was hazarding a blind wild guess... I thought I made that clear.
And for the other... Not that I doubt you; but you only just recently read something, got offended, then attributed said offense to me. Is it possible that you've misread at other times as well?
in this thread absolutely. My phone is making it hard for me to see entire posts and I can't bounce between tabs lil I usually do. I can't copy text either and to link sites I have to leave the site entirely so ugh sorry...

My parents weren't religious, but did teach me certain values that have served me well over the years. Values that I heard again when I decided to attend my first church service.

I never stepped foot in a church until I was 15. I've been to several, of different denominations, over the next 9 years.

I stopped going after a few months of attending a baptist church because I didn't agree with a sermon.

I saw a level of weirdness and hypocrisy that turned me off from all the churches I attended. It just wasn't for me.
Hi tycho1572
You remind me how , as a Constitutionalist , I can barely tolerate most of the garbage going on with my own D party and half the govt which violates basic Constituional principles and ethics. But things won't get corrected if the people who want consistent standards stay away and leave it to the wolves to run things into the ground.

If you can find one person or one group that teaches and lives by the standards and meaning you believe in, I encourage you to support that group.

I didn't fit in with one UU church that was too cliquish with the liberal agenda and rejecting anything challenging that but I did go back to an older UU fellowship that welcomed both old school and new school and are closer to inclusion of diversity I believe in.

Keep searching and at the very least you will collect a circle of friends around you that is your own unique fellowship . that's enough . it doesn't have to be a big group to be legit, it will be whatever is natural for you. Every person and path is different . the UU are all over the map, if you want to check that out. But same trick applies, if one group doesn't click for you, try another as each is different depending on the unique chemistry between the members . even within the same denomination, so don't give up. Took me 20 years, so I hope you fare better than I did trying to fit in somewhere long-term !

I didn't start attending different churches because I was looking for friends, or anything else. I did it out of curiosity.

I can see and understand the importance of church for some people. The ones I attended just didn't rise to the level of respect I was taught by my parents.

The last sermon I heard was about how women should submit to their husbands. There was previous talk about them wearing makeup.
oh brother.

Hi tycho1572

oh brother.
:laugh:

Many Americans grew up steeped in Christian culture. Went to church events. Celebrated the holidays. Even took part in the rituals.

Then... Many have an awakening, or change of heart if you will. And ultimately walk away; or reject the Christian religion out right. In the end, there are probably as many reasons as there are people...

What was yours?
There is no such thing as a former Christian. Anyone who claims to have left the faith was never saved in the first place. When someone accepts Christ as their Lord and Savior, there is a fundamental change in them. "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come."

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.
Yeah, I hear ya. The idea that you born "evil", or a "sinner" at birth; was one of many objections I had.
No one is born evil. They are born in sin, meaning they have a sinful nature. Since God demands perfection, no one is good enough to enter into Heaven. The only way to qualify is to repent, ask God to forgive you, and surrender yourself to Christ. It doesn't matter how many good works you do. It doesn't matter how kind or loving you are. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. In your case, it's the sin of pride. YOU don't think you're a bad person. Maybe you're not. That's not the point. You are a sinner, born in sin.

I'll also say I sometimes meet people who are 'church people'. They're often the rudest and nastiest people I encounter.
While I've encountered really nasty, and rude church goers( theres no denying they exist), I've met the same kind of scumbags who weren't. I'm not sure that Christianity itself is responsible for this conduct. There are just a lot of people out there who don't live virtuous lives. Even taking up the Hebrew faith doesn't strengthen their resolve to live virtuously. Like many things, some people just try to use it as a crutch because they are hobbled from thier lack of virtue. And Christian, or not we all know a cripple when we see one.

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.
Yeah, I hear ya. The idea that you born "evil", or a "sinner" at birth; was one of many objections I had.
No one is born evil. They are born in sin, meaning they have a sinful nature. Since God demands perfection, no one is good enough to enter into Heaven. The only way to qualify is to repent, ask God to forgive you, and surrender yourself to Christ. It doesn't matter how many good works you do. It doesn't matter how kind or loving you are. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. In your case, it's the sin of pride. YOU don't think you're a bad person. Maybe you're not. That's not the point. You are a sinner, born in sin.
I disagree with almost everything you've said in this post. And I don't mean to offend you when I say that.

but then i see bulkshit like this...
Bullshit?

I take it you don't like something I said.
One thing you should ask yourself. What is a Christian? I have no idea what a church person is. One of Christs disciples asked Him how people would know they were Christians. Jesus said they would know you by your love. He that does not have love does not have the Father. It's that simple. Anyone can claim to be a Christian. Doesn't mean anything. Their actions are what's important. Wouldn't you agree?

Many Americans grew up steeped in Christian culture. Went to church events. Celebrated the holidays. Even took part in the rituals.

Then... Many have an awakening, or change of heart if you will. And ultimately walk away; or reject the Christian religion out right. In the end, there are probably as many reasons as there are people...

What was yours?
Ten simple Commandments was too tough.

I disagree with almost everything you've said in this post. And I don't mean to offend you when I say that.
No offense taken. But it's offending God that you should be worried about.

While I've encountered really nasty, and rude church goers( there no denying they exist), I've met the same kind of scumbags who weren't. I'm not sure that Christianity itself is responsible for this conduct. There are just a lot of people out there who don't live virtuous lives. Even taking up the Hebrew faith doesn't strengthen their resolve to live virtuously. Like many things, some people just try to use it as a crutch because they are hobbled from thier lack of virtue. And Christian, or not we all know a cripple when we see one.
I'm sure there are some good people who attended church. I have no doubt about that.

That said; I'll never waste time with another women who uses church attendance as a measure of their sanity.
The last one stalked me for ~2 years.

While I've encountered really nasty, and rude church goers( theres no denying they exist), I've met the same kind of scumbags who weren't. I'm not sure that Christianity itself is responsible for this conduct. There are just a lot of people out there who don't live virtuous lives. Even taking up the Hebrew faith doesn't strengthen their resolve to live virtuously. Like many things, some people just try to use it as a crutch because they are hobbled from thier lack of virtue. And Christian, or not we all know a cripple when we see one.
I have had this experience too so you are not alone. Jesus called them out as being Pharisees, vipers and hypocrites.

No offense taken. But it's offending God that you should be worried about.
A mortal such as myself could never offend them. One can only hope to make them proud, and exemplify a good reflection of what they've done. Stand proud for we were created to be so. Never to kneel. And the Glory is there for the taking.

I was also invited to church by a very attractive girl who I already knew was nasty and judgemental towards others. I politely declined.

Perhaps the equivalent of sin using Buddhist terms is karmic suffering.

There is no equivalent in Buddhism to the concept of sin. Buddhists do not sin. Sin is a Christian concept which includes a creator god.

All humans experience suffering because by nature of our ego we are selfish and want peace and satisfaction and avoid stress conflict and suffering by our free will to choose better.

I met an atheist who didn't understand original sin, but understood the advent of human ego is what causes social strife and suffering.

Can ego be a better term for when man became self aware and sin is based on selfish desire over the equal interests of others or the greater good of society ?

Do you agree all humans are prone to put our "selfish" needs first before we help our neighbors meet their needs? And taking this selfishness to extremes causes suffering in the world?

Of course people are selfish but the root of suffering is ignorance. This ignorance is born from our misconception of how our 'I' exists and how all other phenomena exist. Then from this misconception comes all the delusions such as greed, pride, anger and so forth. There is no violation of divine law or any judgement involved.

Sin brings with it a whole other layer absent in the study of (Buddhist) wisdom.
Dear Brynmr For all practical purposes what you describe above is the equivalent of sin in Christianity .

That may be the closest we can get, so I'm happy to take the selfish causes of suffering as the parallel of Christian meaning of sin

Is there some other reason you feel it is not good fair true or accurate to equate the concept of sin with suffering caused by karma?

Are you okay with equating the breaking of the cycle of suffering with the breaking of the cycle of sin in Christianity ?

If not, can we try the other equivalent : the idea of BIAS.

Do you agree that by our birth is being born into certain families or countries with embedded cultural traditions including both spiritual political social and religious, this makes us all Biased?

Given the Biblical teaching to remove the beam from our own eyes before we can SEE clearly to help our neighbor with removing a splinter,
Can you relate to this concept in terms of recognizing our own BIAS that skews our perception and our speech and divides us in conflict with our neighbors whose karmic birth social or spiritual conditions give them a different BIAS in how they see and say things.

Does that have a closer parallel to you with Buddhist teachings ?

This has been explained. You're free however to refute the points I made which you have not done. Otherwise, believe what you wish.

Forum List

Back