Why Did You Leave Christianity Behind?

I was also invited to church by a very attractive girl who I already knew was nasty and judgemental towards others. I politely declined.

Dear tycho1572 with all these "nasty rude" church people, has it ever dawned on you that you might be called on to teach them as much as they think they are there to teach you?

Maybe they have book knowledge, but you have real life practical knowledge on how to be charitable with loving kindness in real life.

If so, by letting them teach you the literal knowledge they have, in exchange this allows you to influence them where they receive what you have to offer to make them better people, too! have you ever thought there might be mutual benefit in sharing, where they learn as much from you?

I'll also say I sometimes meet people who are 'church people'. They're often the rudest and nastiest people I encounter.
but then i see bulkshit like this...

Dear koshergrl
There is a term "portmanteau" for blending two words into one.
Thank you for this creative new term!
"Bulkshit" is hilarious, and I wouldn't mind if it caught on. And eventually made its way into the dictionary. Ingenious, thank you!!!
I will tell my tiny annoying phone that you approve.lolol

Many Americans grew up steeped in Christian culture. Went to church events. Celebrated the holidays. Even took part in the rituals.

Then... Many have an awakening, or change of heart if you will. And ultimately walk away; or reject the Christian religion out right. In the end, there are probably as many reasons as there are people...

What was yours?

I haven't gone to church nearly as much as I would like. Part of this I admit, is that my wife is Catholic while I was not baptised Catholic, she doesn't want to go my church but rather her own, so I have to visit my church on my own rather than us going as a couple. I do believe, that what's in your heart and your intentions is what is important. Especially as you navigate an often unfair and cruel world

I listen to many lectures and sermons, whether online or through TV and I do so often. I do read the bible, though not as much as in the past. The opinion I have which touches on what some have already stated, is that I read from the same bibles that are read in church, I can come to the conclusion that makes sense to me, while also searching out various opinions on the texts which I am unsure of. I am not of the belief that any one priest has all the answers in regards to all of Gods words provided in the bible.

Giving thanks and worship in church is important, I hope to be able to be present more often, God Willing.

Last edited:
i was 12.....in the baptist church 12 is considered the age of decision....and i was being pressured to be baptized...i was not wanting that just yet...and was in sunday school class and was ask why i was not baptized.....i told the class i had concerns with the belief that if you were not a southern baptist you went to hell....orlynn ward stood up....and yes i remember her name and that day ....after what 50 years......orlynn stood up and as she pointed her finger in my face..told me i was not a true christian cause i did not belief everyone else was going to hell this went on for a long time....5 or so minutes...which when you are being called out at church seems like forever....
not one person in that class said a word to her.....just watched and listened....that was the day i decided not to be baptized and to leave the baptist sect all together....i have gone to other churches..and have wondered...somewhere in the bible...it says god touches ones heart and brings you to him.....apparently i am not wanted....

plus the hypocrisy of the church and its followers...how they cherry pick the bible and ignore other parts of it...i think more important than the big ten are these words....

matthew 25: 31 to 40..

the most important being:

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

read it let it sink it.....you are being told that what you did to that begger or refugee you did to god/jesus

now how the hell are you feeling right now? are you doing to the least of his people as you would do to him?

but then i see bulkshit like this...
Bullshit?

I take it you don't like something I said.
One thing you should ask yourself. What is a Christian? I have no idea what a church person is. One of Christs disciples asked Him how people would know they were Christians. Jesus said they would know you by your love. He that does not have love does not have the Father. It's that simple. Anyone can claim to be a Christian. Doesn't mean anything. Their actions are what's important. Wouldn't you agree?
"Church person" is a derisive term for Christian. More hate.

A church person is the tail the religious dogma wags.

Dear Brynmr the Church is the equivalent of the Sangha. this is the community or body of PEOPLE.

So if PEOPLE follow blindly, yes, the PEOPLE can be like lemmings following whatever dogma they are fed.

But if the PEOPLE share knowledge to enlighten and liberate one another, then all can follow the path of truth and wisdom, and wisdom brings life not death, and freedom by truth which sets us free, not enslavement by blindly following dogma.

It depends on the spirit of the church or "the people" if the people are liberated or where they are in their spiritual development.

One way to tell how developed people are: do we consider the church/people/humanity to include EVERYONE? Or do we only focus on our own local church, sangha, or circle and consider other people to be outside and treated differently?

I agree. I have no difficulty with these comments.

How inclusive are we? Where do we draw lines between "them vs. us" and start excluding some people from the same rights and freedoms we believe in for "all humanity."

My hope would be that all of humanity have the same rights we here in the United States enjoy however I don't believe in giving illegal aliens (for instance) these same rights. There are restrictions and sometimes there is an us vs them and for good reason. ISIS, for an example, is an us vs them.

4fbb06168d9c814327e94e6fb0e57dc9784e928124f34ec5ebba5a5971f67297.jpg

If you don't believe in god, then you don't believe in satan either. :rolleyes-41:
Specifically the Hebrew God "Jesus Christ". Satan is the Hebrew boogeyman. You can't really disbelieve one without the other.

If you don't believe in god, then you don't believe in satan either. :rolleyes-41:
Exactly!

Its not a matter of belief its a matter of perception and understanding.

Many people who do not believe in satan have had conversations with people who fit the detailed description of the mythological being perfectly and for some mysterious reason cannot make the connection between a teaching in a fairy tale and the actual reality it alludes to even though they have been stalked by, bitten, or disputing with talking serpents in one disguise or another for their entire lives..

astonishing!

Last edited:
alas if you believe good and virtue can exist without god then you believe evil can exist without satan

Evil arises out of self cherishing. It comes when you place your own desires before all others and will do everything and anything necessary to achieve these desires.

alas if you believe good and virtue can exist without god then you believe evil can exist without satan

or, there is an Almighty that Triumphed over evil and lives where evil only exists, Satan is dead and to advance in the genome of life the individual must also conquer evil the same to free their Spirit from its physical constraints. Admission to the Everlasting.

Satan only exists in the mind.

Nonsense.

I have seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears talking serpents claiming that people wouldn't die if they set aside divine law and worshipped a human being as if he was a god, but instead would become like God and live forever.

Satan is alive and well and in full view of everyone brazenly defiling and contaminating the minds of the gullible, with impunity and without compunction, in record numbers.

Actual reality reality is by far more bizarre than any fairy tale ever imagined.

Last edited:

Nonsense.

I have seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears talking serpents claiming that people wouldn't die if they set aside divine law and worshipped a human being as if he was a god, but instead would become like God and live forever.

Satan is alive and well and in full view of everyone brazenly defiling and contaminating the minds of the gullible, with impunity and without compunction, in record numbers.

Actual reality reality is by far more bizarre than any fairy tale ever imagined.
If any person asked me to worship them as if they were a God, they would get laughed out of the room...

Nonsense.

If any person asked me to worship them as if they were a God, they would get laughed out of the room...

Great, but what if they asked you to worship some first century foul mouthed sacrilegious Jewish peasant who like to stick it to the man?

What if they promised you that if you would just surrender and get down on your knees you would have heavenly riches and earthly authority to rule over the damned?

Nonsense.

Great, but what if they asked you to worship some first century foul mouthed sacrilegious Jewish peasant who like to stick it to the man?

What if they promised you that if you would just surrender and get down on your knees you would have heavenly riches and rule over the damned?
The same. I have no Hebrew lineage. Why would I dishonor my ancestors by pretending to share a bond with a Hebrew.

Nonsense.

What if they promised you that if you would just surrender and get down on your knees you would have heavenly riches and rule over the damned?
The same. I have no Hebrew lineage. Why would I dishonor my ancestors by pretending to share a bond with a Hebrew.

lol....

What if he also shared no hebrew lineage but was orange in color and had small hands?

Forum List

Back