Why do people continue to go on cruises??

gulttons for punishment?

Actually our family went on a Xmas Cruise a couple of years ago and it was a great time. We were lucky.

Is your cruise safe? - CNN.com

"In 2013, the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program logged nine gastroenteritis outbreaks aboard ships, seven of which had a confirmed cause of norovirus. About 1,200 cruise passengers were affected by those norovirus cases.

To put those figures in perspective, the industry's Cruise Lines International Association says more than 10 million passengers embarked on CLIA-member cruise ships from a U.S. port in 2012. Meanwhile, nationwide, norovirus sickens an estimated 21 million people in the United States every year, according to the CDC."

So 1,200 people got sick out of 10 million who went on cruises originating in a US port.

Sounds like better odds than most vacations. I have been on two cruises. I enjoyed both and never got sick.

IDK.

I can only speak for myself regarding ocean cruises and how I have never wanted to take one. I would feel confined, for one thing. A former hubby played in bands and orchestras for many summer seasons when not teaching school and all members spouses could travel with them for free.

I always declined. He wasn't any fun. :lol:

Hubby and I went on several cruises and found them enjoyable...it's a cost effective way to explore different cultures within a given area ( eg: The Caribbean, Central America, the Greek Isles and other Mediterranean Venues)...and one is certainly not "confined" visiting all these places. The days aboard ship are relaxing...and the vastness of the ocean adds to a sense of openness on deck...
Actually, exposure to disease is no greater than staying at a gated resort...as long as reasonable hygiene and precautions ( hand cleansing, etc.) are observed...and u don't let sick people board the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Like you, [MENTION=22590]AquaAthena[/MENTION], a cruise just never really floated my boat..pun intended. Stuffy cabins, stuck on a big ship over very deep water...just not my cuppa.

Anyone remember Club Med? I went when they are in Kauai...but then it burned down. Bummer.

Hubby and I went on several cruises and found them enjoyable...it's a cost effective way to explore different cultures within a given area ( eg: The Caribbean, Central America, the Greek Isles and other Mediterranean Venues)...and one is certainly not "confined" visiting all these places. The days aboard ship are relaxing...and the vastness of the ocean adds to a sense of openness on deck...
Actually, exposure to disease is no greater than staying at a gated resort...as long as reasonable hygiene and precautions ( hand cleansing, etc.) are observed...and u don't let sick people board the ship!

Hey, doc... I've always wondered about how is the night-sky viewing out in the middle of the ocean? Do the ship's lights interfere, or are the stars right up there in the kajillions?

Hey, doc... I've always wondered about how is the night-sky viewing out in the middle of the ocean? Do the ship's lights interfere, or are the stars right up there in the kajillions?

If you can stand in the dark the stars at sea are amazing! No moon helps too. The Milky Way is like a sparkling streak across the sky.

This is a classic example of "reporting bias" where you only hear about cruises when something goes wrong. its the same reason people can think flying is far more dangerous than it actually is. If you had a twitter account that posted every time a cruise ship completed a trip without an outbreak, your phone would be pinging constantly.

I take a cruise every summer, I get out the canoe or rubber dingy and peacefully cruise rivers and lakes...no pollution, no noise, just nature and myself enjoying the moment...including other humans is not an option, unless it's one of my kids...

Next month, we're going for two weeks to the Caribbean. I've never wanted to go on a cruise ship but has anyone gone on a river cruise? We're talking about including a river cruise on our trip next year.

Next month, we're going for two weeks to the Caribbean. I've never wanted to go on a cruise ship but has anyone gone on a river cruise? We're talking about including a river cruise on our trip next year.

Not yet, but would like to do that in Europe and South America...down the Rhine, Danube, Amazon rivers...Hope u enjoy ur first cruise...but 2 weeks may be a bit long for ur 1st time! (Our longest was 10 days...and we loved every minute! Got some great jewelry deals at a duty free port as well!)

Not yet, but would like to do that in Europe and South America...down the Rhine, Danube, Amazon rivers...Hope u enjoy ur first cruise...but 2 weeks may be a bit long for ur 1st time! (Our longest was 10 days...and we loved every minute! Got some great jewelry deals at a duty free port as well!)

oops, I was unclear.

We're not going on a cruise to the Caribbean. Just a nice long vacation.

Not interested in a cruise ship but the river cruise looks fun and interesting. And, they're not all that expensive. We had planned a long trip to the south of France and Belgium this year but changed our minds and going to Caribbean. Next year, we hope to do the France trip and thinking to make a river cruise part of that trip.

Depends on the size and "glitz" factor of ur ship...the smaller, more casual ones dim lights in the eve and offer a spectacular night sky experience..
On the bigger and more elaborate ships, u can still get that when hanging out on a private balcony off ur stateroom.

Last edited:

A river cruise is something I would love to go on. But not an ocean cruise. Those Viking Cruise commercials really do beckon me, on every level.

Forum List

Back