Why do polls show support for gay marriage, when the states keep rejecting it?

The will of the people does not get to decide what rights others are entitled to

That is why we have courts...to defend the rights of a minority against the majority

Hey Norton - you've been spending too much time down in the Sewer .

Even those of us in a sewer understand our Constitution

I find it highly unlikely that a shit shoveling shyster such as yourself is capable of comprehending much beyond his own narrow field of vision.

Some of the Worlds greatest legal minds have debated over our Constitution for generations, yet a cum guzzler such as yourself pretends to be an expert.

Quite frankly Norton - Trixie must be ashamed of you

I find it highly unlikely that a shit shoveling shyster such as yourself is capable of comprehending much beyond his own narrow field of vision.

Some of the Worlds greatest legal minds have debated over our Constitution for generations, yet a cum guzzler such as yourself pretends to be an expert.

Such a well thought out and concise reply

You do your cause proud

In 2012, Maine, Maryland, and Washington became the first states to legalize same-sex marriage through popular vote.

If SCOTUS decides on behalf of Utah in the Utah vs Harvey Milkers case, those will be the only three states where gay marriage is legal.

Remember this folks. Windsor/DOMA was cited by Utah's AG in order to plead AND WIN from the US Supreme Court the stay on gay marriage. His assertions that won the stay? That he was mandated to follow and uphold the initiative law in his state that defined marriage as between a man and a woman only. The stay was granted swiftly.

In Windsor/DOMA the Court cited that under the question of the legality of gay marriage, each state had "unquestioned authority" through a broad "consensus", retroactive to the founding of the country, "in a way that the Framers of the Constitution intended" to govern and regulate marriage within its borders.

My personal beliefs are that logic and my signature, particularly, will not allow the Justices to find on behalf of the church of LGBT, and will, instead, find on behalf of the Church of Latter Day Saints and all the others who made up the 2/3rds majority in "consensus" in Utah to narrow marriage to between one man and one woman.

If that is the case, upon that moment all 50 states will have the same proclamation apply to them. So, only the three states you mentioned will have legal gay marriage. And that will be the case retroactive to the founding of the country. That's why they wrote DOMA that way. They knew the stupid mess these activists judges were making in their states where their people had spoken on the matter and they overstepped the bounds of their authority. You cannot legislate law unilaterally and unconstitutionally from the bench.

In the states where this was forced upon the voters, I see lawsuits from both gays and non gays against the officials and judges who, for lack of a better term, participated in active sedition of democracy to the plaintiffs' detriment.

In 2012, Maine, Maryland, and Washington became the first states to legalize same-sex marriage through popular vote.

If SCOTUS decides on behalf of Utah in the Utah vs Harvey Milkers case, those will be the only three states where gay marriage is legal.

Sometime I wonder where you pull this stuff from...

Other times I just shake my head.

If the SCOTUS does rule in favor of Utah, then it's not just 3 states where SSCM will remain legal, it's (State, Method of Passage, Year):

Delaware – Legislatively - 2013
District of Columbia – Legislatively - 2009
Hawaii – Legislatively - 2013
Illinois – Legislatively - 2013
Maine – Ballot – 2012
Maryland – Ballot - 2012
Minnesota – Ballot/Legislatively - 2012
New Hampshire – Legislatively - 2009
New York – Legislatively - 2011
Rhode Island – Legislatively - 2013
Vermont – Legislatively - 2009
Washington – Ballot - 2012

and

New Jersey – Judicially - 2013
Massachusetts – Judicially - 2004
Iowa – Judicially - 2009
Connecticut – Judicially - 2008
New Mexico – Judically – 2013​

The second "judicial" group are prohibitions overturned based on State Constitutions, even if the SCOTUS sides with Utah based in Federal court based on the Federal Constitution - that wouldn't over turn State recognition based on State Constitutions. Those 5 states would have to pass an amendment to their constitution to override the State Supreme Court.

>>>>

When was the last state-wide vote on gay marriage?

Many jurisdictions have bypassed the will of the people and legalized same-sex civil marriage through court rulings, and legislative action.

In '98, in response to a State Supreme Court ruling, voters in Hawaii approved a constitutional amendment allowing their legislature to ban same-sex marriage

In 2010, 29 states had constitutional provisions restricting marriage to one man and one woman

In 28 out of 30 states where constitutional amendments or initiatives that define marriage as the union of a man and a woman were put on the ballot in a referendum, voters approved such amendments.

Condensed From Wikipedia

Many? 6 out of the what 16 or 17 now, is many?

If the SCOTUS does rule in favor of Utah, then it's not just 3 states where SSCM will remain legal, it's (State, Method of Passage, Year):

Maine – Ballot – 2012
Maryland – Ballot - 2012

and

Iowa – Judicially - 2009

The second "judicial" group are prohibitions overturned based on State Constitutions, even if the SCOTUS sides with Utah based in Federal court based on the Federal Constitution - that wouldn't over turn State recognition based on State Constitutions. Those 5 states would have to pass an amendment to their constitution to override the State Supreme Court.

>>>>

In DOMA you will recognize that the Court indicated its preference was for a broad consensus to weigh in in each state. ie: if there is any future suit brought where an individual or group from a state sue to clarify gay marriage as illegal there, preference will be given to the way it was arrived at that allowed for the broadest consensus.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of citations of DOMA's specific language in the years to come regarding what ways what type of marriage can become legal or is defined as legal as in the various states. In fact, as weird as DOMA was thought of at first, it appears to be a template that anticipated a variety of future suits on the matter.

Again, the Court indicated its preference was for as wide a consensus as possible on the topic.

You are wrong.

Our civil rights are not subject to the 'will of the people.'

You are wrong.

Churches have certain civil rights. Cults do not. Ergo, the Harvey Milk cult does not have civil rights above anyone else on the same playing field. ie: you are free to marry the opposite gender just like everyone else is. That your dogma requires you to pretend that marriage is two people of the same gender is not of anyone else's concern but your own.

It's like Sharia law. We don't have to tolerate a church's interpretation of reality to include that daughters can be killed by their fathers for disobedience. Just as we don't have to tolerate the church of LGBT's interpretation that marriage means one woman playing a "man" and one playing a woman or, one man playing a femme while the other plays a man. That's what the LGBT church does. That's not what everyone else does. And in a majority-rule society, LGBT can just keep pounding the pavement to evangelize their cause, on TV, in schools etc. until enough generations have been brainwashed to accept the abnormal as normal I guess..

The tea party ISN'T a faction or sub group of the gop, you moron.
false http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factions_in_the_Republican_Party_(United_States)

It has really become quite obvious that the only sub-group of any size and significance within the electorate whose primary purpose is to truly represent the American people is what most people know as “the Tea Party”. The fact that it faces vehement opposition from the other three groups (the Republican leadership, the Democratic leadership, and the Democratic rank and file) should come as no surprise and this election cycle may well determine whether there is any hope for America in the future. Our future lies in the hands of those who now consider themselves to be “independent”.

Who Founded the American Tea Party? | AaronInvestigates

proving KOSHER HAG IS NEVER CORRECT AND NUTS ONE POST AT A TIME!

Yeah, no. Based on the fact that the TEA Party took out more GOP politicians than it did Democrat it can safely be stated that the TEA Party is NOT a friend of the GOP. Wiki is not your friend Daws.
missed the point did we?

your obsession with ingesting ejaculate..is an excellent indicator of suppressed sexual desire...

"...a new study suggests that opposition to same-sex marriage may be understated in public opinion polls. Using pre-election polling data in states that have voted on same-sex marriage measures, political scientist Richard J. Powell found that pre-election surveys consistently underestimated opposition to these laws by 5 to 7 percentage points."

"Social desirability bias in polling comes in many flavors. Perhaps the most well known is the “Bradley Effect,” named after former Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, a black man, who faced Republican George Deukmejian, who was white, in the 1982 California gubernatorial race. Bradley held a substantial lead in most pre-election polls, only to lose narrowly. His defeat fueled speculation that some white voters had given misleading answers to poll-takers, saying they supported Bradley or were undecided but really favored Deukmejian.

"But it wasn’t until 2007 that Harvard political scientist Daniel Hopkins confirmed the existence of the effect. He studied elections between 1989 and 2006 that pitted black and white Senate candidates against each other. He found that the black candidates polled better than their final share of the vote in contests with white candidates in elections through 1996. But the effect then vanished, for reasons that he said were unclear."

Study: Opposition to same-sex marriage may be understated in public opinion polls | Pew Research Center

probably liberal California. how did that one turn out?

Maine – Ballot – 2012
Maryland – Ballot - 2012

and

Iowa – Judicially - 2009

>>>>

In DOMA you will recognize that the Court indicated its preference was for a broad consensus to weigh in in each state. ie: if there is any future suit brought where an individual or group from a state sue to clarify gay marriage as illegal there, preference will be given to the way it was arrived at that allowed for the broadest consensus.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of citations of DOMA's specific language in the years to come regarding what ways what type of marriage can become legal or is defined as legal as in the various states. In fact, as weird as DOMA was thought of at first, it appears to be a template that anticipated a variety of future suits on the matter.

Again, the Court indicated its preference was for as wide a consensus as possible on the topic.

"...a new study suggests that opposition to same-sex marriage may be understated in public opinion polls. Using pre-election polling data in states that have voted on same-sex marriage measures, political scientist Richard J. Powell found that pre-election surveys consistently underestimated opposition to these laws by 5 to 7 percentage points."

"Social desirability bias in polling comes in many flavors. Perhaps the most well known is the “Bradley Effect,” named after former Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, a black man, who faced Republican George Deukmejian, who was white, in the 1982 California gubernatorial race. Bradley held a substantial lead in most pre-election polls, only to lose narrowly. His defeat fueled speculation that some white voters had given misleading answers to poll-takers, saying they supported Bradley or were undecided but really favored Deukmejian.

"But it wasn’t until 2007 that Harvard political scientist Daniel Hopkins confirmed the existence of the effect. He studied elections between 1989 and 2006 that pitted black and white Senate candidates against each other. He found that the black candidates polled better than their final share of the vote in contests with white candidates in elections through 1996. But the effect then vanished, for reasons that he said were unclear."

Study: Opposition to same-sex marriage may be understated in public opinion polls | Pew Research Center

Wrong. :D Try again.

Most of the states that put it up to a vote approve it. So what is the op talking about?

Her own little world....again.

In 28 out of 30 states where constitutional amendments or initiatives that define marriage as the union of a man and a woman were put on the ballot in a referendum, voters approved such amendments.

- I don't usually participate in threads re: Gay Marriage - because although I am thoroughly anti-Gay I don't think the Government has a right to dictate to these perverts who they can and can't marry. But did so on this one because I am interested in how media perceptions and polls warp reality.

I also find it highly amusing that chumps like Bodcea can't comprehend the most basic of data when confronted with it.

What part of 28 out of 30 did you not understand ? Perhaps it was the Man and WOman part ? I dunno - some people are just hopeless.

Vote again tomorrow and two-thirds will swing the other way.

The last five elections on the issue are for marriage equality.

When 15 years have passed, the majority for equality will be better than 7 in 10.

Wrong. :D Try again.

to be honest I don't really keep track of this shit. CA is the only one i remember. but I think it demonstrates the results that can occur when constitutionality id put to a public vote. IMO the government has no say in anyones personal rights or choices. I don't think we need new laws, I think we need to remove the existing restrictive laws that are currently on the books off them. they never should have been there in the first place. its an example of big government overstepping its bounds

You are wrong.

neither are constitutional rights but liberals have no problem claiming the will of the people when it suits their agenda.

You are wrong.

neither are constitutional rights but liberals have no problem claiming the will of the people when it suits their agenda.
now that's funny, the repubs bellow that misnomer constantly especially when it's not!

Forum List

Back