Why do the God-haters persist?

I've had an unexplained miracle happen in my life. I believe there are things in this universe that are beyond my current knowledge. That can includes, maybe spirits living between the stars. The bible on the other hand is a work of fiction.

Just like that cross at ground zero.
I keep pointing out to my mother it isn't the same cross. The one in the left pic is turned differently than the one in the right pic. Facts don't change my mothers opinion about the ground zero cross, so they won't change her opinion about the bible.

So if someone convinces you that your position is wrong then that means its because I want to be cool like them? I don't think so. They didn't fear me into believing what they believe. And if I didn't agree with them I wouldn't say I did. I actually got my feelings hurt, because he/they told me if I believe in a generic god then I'm just as dumb as the people who believe in jesus or mohammad. What possible reasons could I have for believing? No good ones.

So I may believe in Karma and I may admit I'm an agnostic atheist but that doesn't mean I believe in god, no matter what form you think he/it takes.

So he didn't make us in his image, right? At least you admit that.

But they didn't convince you. Repeatedly you have admitted you believe there is something more than just the physical realm, a thing or force you define as "Karma." Here you admit that you "got your feelings hurt" for believing in a "generic God" and this is largely why you have become an "agnostic" atheist. It allows you to "be cool" with your buddies and be accepted by them, while still rectifying your belief in something greater than self.

Well, no... I didn't admit that. I have no idea if that is true or not true. I personally don't believe in such a God, I think of God as more of an energy force, like electricity or a natural force like gravity. My interpretation of God doesn't have humanistic attributes or conform to any organized religious incarnation. You might say that I believe in Karma like you but I choose to define it with three letters instead of four. However, I leave the possibility open that I could be wrong about this, and God could very well be as the Abrahamic religions or other religions imagine. In fact, being that it's God we're talking about here, there is nothing that prohibits God from being all things to all people in a spiritual sense. It could be that everyone is right, and that's just the nature of God.

So you don't know is what you are saying. Agnostic Theist is what I would call you.

What are your thoughts on hell?

I guess whatever you come up with in your head must be true, right? Because how could you come up with it if it weren't true? That's what you say about god. Since we came up with it, must be true. So whatever you think, must be true, right?

One mans hell, anothers paradise.

I've had an unexplained miracle happen in my life. .

What was it?

Miracles have not been demonstrated to occur. Even if a ‘miracle’ could be demonstrated it would not immediately imply the existence of a god as unknown natural processes or agents could still be at work. What if aliens did it?

Most alleged miracles can be explained as statistically unlikely occurrences. For example, one child surviving a plane crash that kills two hundred others is not a miracle, just as one person winning the lottery is not. In the absence of any empirical evidence, all other claims can be dismissed as the result of magical thinking, misattribution, credulity, hearsay and anecdote. Eye-witness testimony and anecdotal accounts are, by themselves, not reliable or definitive forms of proof for such extraordinary claims.

Divine intervention claims most often concern systems and events for which we have poor predictive capabilities, for example, weather, sports, health and social/economic interactions. Such claims are rarely made in relation to those things we can accurately predict and test e.g. the motion of celestial bodies, boiling point of water and pull of gravity. If a god is constantly intervening in the universe it supposedly created, then it is with such ambiguity as to appear completely indistinguishable from normal background chance.

“Elite athletes make first place and thanks god, strange shapes appear on toast and some people narrowly escape death, but amputated limbs never regrow, mountains never move and food never spontaneously appears in front of the hundreds of children that starve to death each hour.

But a miracle happened to you? :cuckoo::eusa_liar::cuckoo::eusa_liar:

But they didn't convince you. Repeatedly you have admitted you believe there is something more than just the physical realm, a thing or force you define as "Karma." Here you admit that you "got your feelings hurt" for believing in a "generic God" and this is largely why you have become an "agnostic" atheist. It allows you to "be cool" with your buddies and be accepted by them, while still rectifying your belief in something greater than self.

Well, no... I didn't admit that. I have no idea if that is true or not true. I personally don't believe in such a God, I think of God as more of an energy force, like electricity or a natural force like gravity. My interpretation of God doesn't have humanistic attributes or conform to any organized religious incarnation. You might say that I believe in Karma like you but I choose to define it with three letters instead of four. However, I leave the possibility open that I could be wrong about this, and God could very well be as the Abrahamic religions or other religions imagine. In fact, being that it's God we're talking about here, there is nothing that prohibits God from being all things to all people in a spiritual sense. It could be that everyone is right, and that's just the nature of God.

So you don't know is what you are saying. Agnostic Theist is what I would call you.

I guess whatever you come up with in your head must be true, right? Because how could you come up with it if it weren't true? That's what you say about god. Since we came up with it, must be true. So whatever you think, must be true, right?

One mans hell, anothers paradise.

I've had 2 or 3 friends tell me their "guardian angel" stories about how they were going to get hit by a car or train and something/someone said LOOK OUT, even though no one was there. Are they really that gullible? They don't realize that was their minds playing tricks on them?

I agree completely. This is why I say I'm convinced that the politicians/rich/media know they can convince people who believe in invisible sky fairies of anything. As long as we remain ignorant like this as a society it is definately holding us back. And I don't think religion does more good than bad.

“A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.” – David Stevens

But you are wrong. Just the very question of good vs. bad is related to religion. I say this, not as a fan of organized religion, but as someone objectively evaluating humanity as a whole. Our entire species operates out of a sense of morality judgement. These moral ethics come from our religious or spiritual views of something greater than self. Whenever you logically remove something greater than self, then nothing is greater than self. In other words, survival of the fittest, as things are in nature with every other living thing.

Lions do not have compassion for gazelles. They do not think about the gazelle having a family or it's struggle to survive, they view the gazelle as a meal. Gorillas don't court their mate and await approval before copulation with them. Their sexual behavior is what we would consider rape. A bird foraging for worms will not hit the jackpot and then share the bounty with other needy birds. The early bird gets the worm.

Other species do not have a moral ethical sense of right or wrong. They operate on pure animal instinct without regard for ethics. It is through a human conscious understanding and awareness of something greater than self, that we developed various ethos which became our basis for human morality.

You cannot explain this away with any other theory because they defy rationality. If we adopted morals in order to better work together in groups or packs, or to better attract mates, then we'd see other species adopting the same kind of moral ethics to supplant their animal instincts, and we simply see no such evidence. It all stems from a conscious awareness humans have of some power greater than ourselves, something of more importance than self-preservation.

What was it?

Miracles have not been demonstrated to occur. Even if a ‘miracle’ could be demonstrated it would not immediately imply the existence of a god as unknown natural processes or agents could still be at work. What if aliens did it?

Most alleged miracles can be explained as statistically unlikely occurrences. For example, one child surviving a plane crash that kills two hundred others is not a miracle, just as one person winning the lottery is not. In the absence of any empirical evidence, all other claims can be dismissed as the result of magical thinking, misattribution, credulity, hearsay and anecdote. Eye-witness testimony and anecdotal accounts are, by themselves, not reliable or definitive forms of proof for such extraordinary claims.

Divine intervention claims most often concern systems and events for which we have poor predictive capabilities, for example, weather, sports, health and social/economic interactions. Such claims are rarely made in relation to those things we can accurately predict and test e.g. the motion of celestial bodies, boiling point of water and pull of gravity. If a god is constantly intervening in the universe it supposedly created, then it is with such ambiguity as to appear completely indistinguishable from normal background chance.

“Elite athletes make first place and thanks god, strange shapes appear on toast and some people narrowly escape death, but amputated limbs never regrow, mountains never move and food never spontaneously appears in front of the hundreds of children that starve to death each hour.

Ya, it's a miracle he finished high school. :lol:

What was it?

I was at a church camp for a couple of weeks. There was this cliff next to a creek that ran into a dam. I knew of a hidden path that you could jump to. I figured on freaking people out and making it look like I jumped. I made sure nobody was near me and I jumped but the path disintegrated beneath my feet and I went through it. Someone grabbed my hand, that wasn't there before, and pulled me up. Saved my life.

What was it?

I was at a church camp for a couple of weeks. There was this cliff next to a creek that ran into a dam. I knew of a hidden path that you could jump to. I figured on freaking people out and making it look like I jumped. I made sure nobody was near me and I jumped but the path disintegrated beneath my feet and I went through it. Someone grabbed my hand, that wasn't there before, and pulled me up. Saved my life.
Your hand wasn't there before? You sure?

I agree completely. This is why I say I'm convinced that the politicians/rich/media know they can convince people who believe in invisible sky fairies of anything. As long as we remain ignorant like this as a society it is definately holding us back. And I don't think religion does more good than bad.

“A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.” – David Stevens

These moral ethics come from our religious or spiritual views of something greater than self. Whenever you logically remove something greater than self, then nothing is greater than self. In other words, survival of the fittest, as things are in nature with every other living thing.

Lions do not have compassion for gazelles. They do not think about the gazelle having a family or it's struggle to survive, they view the gazelle as a meal. Gorillas don't court their mate and await approval before copulation with them. Their sexual behavior is what we would consider rape. A bird foraging for worms will not hit the jackpot and then share the bounty with other needy birds. The early bird gets the worm.

Other species do not have a moral ethical sense of right or wrong. They operate on pure animal instinct without regard for ethics. It is through a human conscious understanding and awareness of something greater than self, that we developed various ethos which became our basis for human morality.

You cannot explain this away with any other theory because they defy rationality. If we adopted morals in order to better work together in groups or packs, or to better attract mates, then we'd see other species adopting the same kind of moral ethics to supplant their animal instincts, and we simply see no such evidence. It all stems from a conscious awareness humans have of some power greater than ourselves, something of more importance than self-preservation.

No they don't. We had morals before we invented religion. We learned them living together in groups.

Hell, even animals have those morals when it comes to living in groups.

I'm not removing something that is greater than self. I'm removing a fairy tale made up thing you guys invented in your heads. And I do believe in things greater than myself. This society and planet will live on long after I'm gone. Greater than self. The sun and moon are greater than myself.

What you are saying is if we remove the lie we will fall into chaos. I disagree. I think we would advance faster and solve more problems. We no longer need this lie. It served us when we were monkeys but don't need it now.

I've seen Lions have compassion for a baby antelope. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZw-1BfHFKM]MUST WATCH: A Lioness Adopts a baby antelope. A short documentary that will open your eyes. - YouTube[/ame]

You think gorillas are raping but they are not. Those females selected them. They won the right. Have you ever seen elephants fuck? They do it right in front of everyone and they make a lot of noise. And if another bigger elephant wants to challenge the king elephant they can but they can't just fuck one of his girls without a fight.

You know so little. You're the perfect candidate for religion.

Do Animals Know Right from Wrong? New Clues Point to 'Yes'

Now I've seen male Zebra come kill a baby calf because it wasn't one of his. He was thinning the herd. Why did he do this? Because of food and competition. We don't do these things because we don't have to. We are civilized. But, we get abortions.

Please give me some more examples of how animals do things that we don't because we believe in god(s).

And I and science can explain everything you just said away. If I missed something, let me know.

But you are wrong. Just the very question of good vs. bad is related to religion. I say this, not as a fan of organized religion, but as someone objectively evaluating humanity as a whole. Our entire species operates out of a sense of morality judgement. These moral ethics come from our religious or spiritual views of something greater than self. Whenever you logically remove something greater than self, then nothing is greater than self. In other words, survival of the fittest, as things are in nature with every other living thing.

It is so funny because all the shit religion has said over the years that has PROVED god exists, and each time science proves you fuckers wrong you just move on to another bullshit reason you think god exists. We call it god of the gaps. Everything we don't know, you say is god. And each time we prove it isn't god, your god just gets smaller and smaller.

In another new video from the BBC "Frozen Planet" series, Adelie penguins are seen gathering stones to build their nests. One penguin stealthily steals a stone from his neighbor's nest every time the neighbor goes a-gathering. Does the penguin thief know its covert actions are wrong?

These are some of the scenarios that interest ethologists, or scientists who study animal behavior. For years, these scientists categorically ruled out the possibility that animals might have a sense of morality — that they know right from wrong. Lately, though, the tide is turning.

"People used to like to make that stark division between human and nonhuman animals," said ethologist Marc Bekoff. "But there's just no doubt that the scientific evidence for animal morality is accumulating as more and more animals are studied."

So fuck you Boss and your comment that I can not explain this away. Yes I fucking can! You are fucking wrong! That's my fucking explanation you idiot! :lol:

Much of Bekoff's research has focused on wolves and coyotes — both of which live in tight-knit groups governed by strict rules. Bekoff has observed acts of altruism, tolerance, forgiveness, reciprocity and fairness among wolves and coyotes, and says many of these moral sentiments are evident in the way the animals play with one another.

Breaking these rules of engagement — or other rules, such as taking more than one's fair share of food — is serious business among wolves and coyotes. "There is a consequence of being labeled a cheater," Bekoff said. Others stop bonding with the "immoral" pack member, and eventually it wanders away from the group, usually resulting in an early death because it no longer receives the benefits of pack living. Bekoff believes the rules governing pack behavior offer a glimpse of the moral code that allowed early human societies to function and flourish.

Check fucking mate BOSS.

Furthermore, conceptions of wild animals as ruthless and violent are completely wrong, Bekoff said. "All the research coming out these days on other primates and mammals shows that more than 90 to 95 percent of their behavior is pro-social or positive. It's actually rare to see aggression or violence."

Each time Boss is wrong it makes it harder for me to read another paragraph of his bullshit because then I have to go first figure out what the fuck he's saying and where/how/why he is wrong and then go find proof that he's fucking wrong. Humans are nothing more than animals boss. You a chiwawa and me a Labrador

Another thing that makes gauging morality in animals difficult is that scientists are only just beginning to investigate the neural mechanisms that control moral decision-making in humans. Last year, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found that applying a powerful magnet to a part of the brain called the right temporo-parietal junction in human study participants temporarily skewed their ability to make moral judgments. When questioned about the nature of various actions, the magnetic jolt made them think that actions they had previously judged to be immoral were instead morally acceptable. This and related studies suggest that our sense of morality is somehow hard-wired into our brains.

You're right, I don't know if the Abrahamic God is real or not. I don't know if the Buddhist or Hindus are right or not. I don't know if Catholicism or Judaism or Islam is right or not. From MY perspective, they could all be right and they could all be wrong. Therefore, I cannot proclaim that one is right and the other is wrong, or that any are right or wrong.

I don't really care how you would label me, I am a spiritualist who believes in God. I believe in God because God is who I communicate with daily and I have been blessed by God many times in my life. I need no more proof than this to believe God is real. I'm not compelled by God to seek out a group of people who've predefined God and have a dogmatic view of what God is. I respect other people who have done that, they have the right to worship God however they please. God doesn't compel me to condemn them unless they condemn themselves through their own acts, like radical Islam for example.

As for "Hell" I think I've already explained what I personally believe, but here it is again... I personally believe our spirit or soul is everlasting and eternal. It inhabits a physical vessel for the moment, but the moment is called "time" and this is a physical construct. Our spirit transcends time, it's not physical. So where was this spirit before it inhabited our body and where will it go when our physical bodies expire? I don't know. On this question, I have to speculate and have faith in my speculation.

My speculation is as follows: There are many greater and lesser dimensions of existence above and below our physical realm that we're aware of as physical beings. The greater ones could be described as "heavenly" dimensions and the lesser ones could be described as degrees of "hell" for lack of a better way to put it. I think our spirits are free to follow their own course in this existence, however, our spirit's future rests on our spiritual deeds in this existence. In other words, if we strive for positive spirituality and "goodness" as humans, our spirit is 'rewarded' by being promoted to a greater realm in the afterlife. Subsequently, if our spirits follow a course contrary to spiritual "goodness" we may end up being 'demoted' to a lesser existence in the afterlife. The more evil your spirit, the worse the realm or lower you will end up. If you aren't good or bad, but somewhere in between, perhaps your spirit is 'reincarnated' in this dimension and you get to try again?

Now it's important to note, in these other dimensions, I don't know that we have "physical" existence, I suspect that we probably don't. However, our spirits will have conscious awareness and presence of some kind to facilitate it's existence. Keep in mind, there could be something greater than physical existence, something we are simply unable to wrap our minds around as physical beings in a physical universe. As I said, I don't know, this is all speculation on my part. My reasoning for this speculation is the apparent course spiritual powers guide us as humans. I reason there must be a purpose for that. Otherwise, we'd be just as spiritually inclined to be evil as good, and that's not the case.

What was it?

Your hand wasn't there before? You sure?

The person who grabbed my hand wasn't.
Grammer nazi.

fyi I also met a real mind reader. We held a conversation with him reading my mind and responding to me without me moving my lips at all.
I'm either a liar or I've had some really different experiences.

Last edited:
Silly boob, if you're just going to rapid-fire a bunch of nonsense, I am not going to respond. Whenever you gather your thoughts into a coherent post, I will address your points.

What was it?

Just as I thought. Just like my other buddies who said someone told them to "look out". It was all in your head I promise you that. I don't know what happened because I wasn't there but here again is something that is personal to you and no one can disprove, but you certainly can't prove it. Even if someone with you said they saw the miracle happen, I wouldn't believe it either because I don't know you or them. All I know is that miracles have not been proven to exist or ever happen. They are unlikely occurences or flukes or luck. Like when 1 baby survives a plane crash. Did god save her? Why did he not save the rest? Random shit.

Show me god move a mountain or grow an amputees arm back on overnight. That'd be a miracle. I don't know what happened to you.

But I do realize many gullible Americans I know have sworn shit like this happened to them. No one in the history of the world has yet to prove a miracle though. People have seen ghosts too. Do you think that can be proven? It hasn't been yet. So changes are its all in their heads. The mind is an amazing thing.

Silly boob, if you're just going to rapid-fire a bunch of nonsense, I am not going to respond. Whenever you gather your thoughts into a coherent post, I will address your points.

Your reasons for believing in god keep getting smaller. That's called god of the gaps. Each time we solve a gap your god gets smaller.

You were wrong about other animals. Exactly what I mean when I say you believe in god because you aren't smart enough to realize its all in your head. You are an unevolved primitive man who is superstitious. And you think you are special because you are at the top of the food chain but in reality you are a weak human with a big brain (compared to monkeys anyways) and a little penis (compared to an elephant)

It is so funny because all the shit religion has said over the years that has PROVED god exists, and each time science proves you fuckers wrong you just move on to another bullshit reason you think god exists. We call it god of the gaps. Everything we don't know, you say is god. And each time we prove it isn't god, your god just gets smaller and smaller.

But let's evaluate this for a moment because it's important to the philosophical debate... What HAVE you actually proven? You can show me HOW gravity works, you can't explain WHY. So go ahead... tell us WHY gravity works? Tell us WHY electromagnetism functions as it does? Tell us why the compound elements of hydrogen and oxygen create water? You can explain HOW these things occur all day long, science is valuable in doing that, but science cannot explain WHY. This isn't "God of the Gaps" this is God of the abyss... God of the unknown... God of the unexplainable. You'll never fill these gaps with science because science can't answer these questions of WHY. Only God can answer those.

Your reasons for believing in god keep getting smaller. That's called god of the gaps. Each time we solve a gap your god gets smaller.

You were wrong about other animals. Exactly what I mean when I say you believe in god because you aren't smart enough to realize its all in your head. You are an unevolved primitive man who is superstitious. And you think you are special because you are at the top of the food chain but in reality you are a weak human with a big brain (compared to monkeys anyways) and a little penis (compared to an elephant)

That's funny... You point to a speculative hypothesis and claim it is "PROOF" of something. It simply is not, it's just a hypothesis. It's someone saying... Maybe animals know right from wrong? And you've taken this to mean they've proven animals DO know right from wrong.

Of course, animals can learn right from wrong, as evidenced in the video of the dog getting into the garbage. The dog was aware that what it was doing wasn't right, but it still did it. The reason he knew it wasn't right was because a human had taught him this, and the reason he did it anyway is because his animal instinct told him there may be some goodies inside the trash. This actually proves MY point, that animals don't operate on moral choice but on animal instinct.

The second example was a thieving penguin, stealing stones from another penguin's nest... well, if the penguin in question were operating on morality, it wouldn't have been stealing the stones. Or maybe it would have stolen a stone then returned it out of moral guilt?

Dogs play fighting is simply animal behavior, nothing to do with moral right and wrong. What they are actually doing is teaching younger dogs how to fight. The other example of dog behavior depending on rewards and such, is just another example of dogs learning moral right and wrong from humans. Dogs, as well as other animals, do have the capacity to learn moral right and wrong and rationalize behavior accordingly. They do not naturally have this ability on their own.

That's funny... You point to a speculative hypothesis and claim it is "PROOF" of something. It simply is not, it's just a hypothesis. It's someone saying... Maybe animals know right from wrong? And you've taken this to mean they've proven animals DO know right from wrong.

Of course, animals can learn right from wrong, as evidenced in the video of the dog getting into the garbage. The dog was aware that what it was doing wasn't right, but it still did it. The reason he knew it wasn't right was because a human had taught him this, and the reason he did it anyway is because his animal instinct told him there may be some goodies inside the trash. This actually proves MY point, that animals don't operate on moral choice but on animal instinct.

The second example was a thieving penguin, stealing stones from another penguin's nest... well, if the penguin in question were operating on morality, it wouldn't have been stealing the stones. Or maybe it would have stolen a stone then returned it out of moral guilt?

Dogs play fighting is simply animal behavior, nothing to do with moral right and wrong. What they are actually doing is teaching younger dogs how to fight. The other example of dog behavior depending on rewards and such, is just another example of dogs learning moral right and wrong from humans. Dogs, as well as other animals, do have the capacity to learn moral right and wrong and rationalize behavior accordingly. They do not naturally have this ability on their own.
So blacks who deal crack are at the level of a penguin? :lmao:

Forum List

Back