🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why do we celebrate Independence Day?

I’m in my 40’s…I’ve seen videos like this on television ever since I can recall

I’ve always wondered what the point was. I mean do the people who do the interviewing have an agenda to enlighten, to alarm, to try to feel smug and superior??? Yes there are people out there who are illiterate as to our history. If you were to ask me to play a note on a piano, I couldn’t tell you what key delivers what note. If you were to ask 100 others, I’m sure you’d get bewilderment and confusion also while others see a simple question. Is there some recommendation for what people “should know”? You can get through life just fine without knowing who Alan Shepherd was or who General MacArthur was or who Teddy Roosevelt was. Is not knowing who John Hancock was any more or less tragic?
The nanny state, career politicians and their federal government has created, has spawned A generation or two of mindless lemmings... To them(lemmings) playing Xbox and PlayStation is more important than history and how we got to the place we are. Too bad it's too late to recover...
In Indian history everything was verbal there was no written language but still it was knowledge passed along and remembered. Of course the federal government came into the picture and made all that go away…
The point is, history is the future.

Indian, sorry, Native American, verbal history was also enhanced, embellished, purified and modified with each successive generation.

That is how we know that Indians, sorry, Native Americans, all loved each other, they never waged wars one tribe against another, only killed what they ate and never ever littered the land with plastic cups and fast food take out containers.

I’ve always wondered what the point was. I mean do the people who do the interviewing have an agenda to enlighten, to alarm, to try to feel smug and superior??? Yes there are people out there who are illiterate as to our history. If you were to ask me to play a note on a piano, I couldn’t tell you what key delivers what note. If you were to ask 100 others, I’m sure you’d get bewilderment and confusion also while others see a simple question. Is there some recommendation for what people “should know”? You can get through life just fine without knowing who Alan Shepherd was or who General MacArthur was or who Teddy Roosevelt was. Is not knowing who John Hancock was any more or less tragic?
Good job of covering up and glossing over a big problem...Candycane.

Just wondering what kick people who do/sponsor these interviews get out of results they are going to pre-determine anyway.
Do you demand a 'kick' out of everything you do?

If so, stay close to me and I will make sure to kick you but good.

Just joking my sweet Candycane....love you babe!

The point of these interviews is that people who are politically astute and informed need occasionally to be reminded that their votes are counter-balanced by people who have no idea about history, politics, economics, the law, or the constitution. For every informed vote - regardless of what that vote is - there are the votes of some number (hopefully a small one) of votes cast by people who are clueless.

And this is why so much political advertising seems to be directed at clueless idiots; they comprise a substantial portion of the voting public.

Sad, isn't it? But we need to be reminded from time to time, so we understand what's going on in our own society.

These folks don't know.

But I'm sure they're full of self esteem 'n stuff.

Sad.

That video was totally unbalanced and unfair.

The reporter interviewed a whole bunch of Democrats and left the only non-Democrat to the very end. Seems rather prejudiced. And he interviewed mostly WHITE people!!!!

This reporter's next stop for similar "on the street" interview should be Watts, Harlem, Overtown, the South Side of Chicago or East St. Louis for a more intelligent and more informed and more fair and balanced display of the true face of America.

Happy 4th of July!

Well, most were white. If we are to believe race politics, they are all trump supporters.

The scenery in the video indicated California, a deeply and foolishly and unalterably Democratic state. The interviewees, therefore, white or black or purple had to be Democrats. But if, as you say, they are Trump supporters, maybe there is hope for California.

Especially, based on their intelligence.

.....and here I have been assuming it's because of the nefarious influence of that powerful fireworks lobby.

The point is Americans are idiots. And that is sad.

And comparing being able to read sheet music to knowing basic historical facts about our country? Really?

And you base that on 2-3 dozen edited interviews?
You find the comparison invalid? Why?

No, the repeated interviews merely reinforce the known.

And why is the comparison between not knowing why we celebrate independence day to not knowing how to read sheet music invalid? Oh please Candy, I know you are smarter than that.

EVERY American who has gone through at least the 8th grade should have a basic of understanding of our government including knowing the importance of key national holidays. Certainly most people graduate high school and even college without ever learning to read sheet music.

And I’m sure in 8th grade when you have comparatively zero serious competing interest and were studying the subject, you know who Nathan Hale was and Daniel Webster and the like.

The reason I mentioned sheet music was that if you wanted to embarrass people on the street, you could ask them information on that as well

The point of these interviews is that people who are politically astute and informed need occasionally to be reminded that their votes are counter-balanced by people who have no idea about history, politics, economics, the law, or the constitution. For every informed vote - regardless of what that vote is - there are the votes of some number (hopefully a small one) of votes cast by people who are clueless.

And this is why so much political advertising seems to be directed at clueless idiots; they comprise a substantial portion of the voting public.

Sad, isn't it? But we need to be reminded from time to time, so we understand what's going on in our own society.

I doubt that many of those who were interviewed bother to vote. Perhaps…

These folks don't know.

Sad.

The reporter interviewed a whole bunch of Democrats and left the only non-Democrat to the very end. Seems rather prejudiced. And he interviewed mostly WHITE people!!!!

This reporter's next stop for similar "on the street" interview should be Watts, Harlem, Overtown, the South Side of Chicago or East St. Louis for a more intelligent and more informed and more fair and balanced display of the true face of America.

Happy 4th of July!

Well, most were white. If we are to believe race politics, they are all trump supporters.

The scenery in the video indicated California, a deeply and foolishly and unalterably Democratic state. The interviewees, therefore, white or black or purple had to be Democrats. But if, as you say, they are Trump supporters, maybe there is hope for California.

Actually, for the most part, the state is Red. Perhaps you were in the video???

2-california-congressional-districts.jpg

The point is Americans are idiots. And that is sad.

And comparing being able to read sheet music to knowing basic historical facts about our country? Really?

And you base that on 2-3 dozen edited interviews?
You find the comparison invalid? Why?

No, the repeated interviews merely reinforce the known.

And why is the comparison between not knowing why we celebrate independence day to not knowing how to read sheet music invalid? Oh please Candy, I know you are smarter than that.

EVERY American who has gone through at least the 8th grade should have a basic of understanding of our government including knowing the importance of key national holidays. Certainly most people graduate high school and even college without ever learning to read sheet music.
They taught us in Grade 3. So we could all join band in Grade 4.

These folks don't know.

Sad.

Happy 4th of July!

Yes , indeed. California is a mostly red state, that is why Hillary is worried Trump will carry it.

:rofl: back to school for Candy.

At the very least you should know the history of the country you were born in. That's why US History, Civics and Western Civilization are better subjects than the dumb ass subjects like sexual orientation, what yes means, and how to riot.

The nanny state, career politicians and their federal government has created, has spawned A generation or two of mindless lemmings... To them(lemmings) playing Xbox and PlayStation is more important than history and how we got to the place we are. Too bad it's too late to recover...
In Indian history everything was verbal there was no written language but still it was knowledge passed along and remembered. Of course the federal government came into the picture and made all that go away…
The point is, history is the future.

Indian, sorry, Native American, verbal history was also enhanced, embellished, purified and modified with each successive generation.

That is how we know that Indians, sorry, Native Americans, all loved each other, they never waged wars one tribe against another, only killed what they ate and never ever littered the land with plastic cups and fast food take out containers.
The only thing an Indian hates more than a white person is a Indian from a different tribe...
Lol

What people should know? YES! Basic fucking American History. But we're too busy with social promotion to actually teach the things that matter.

You are dismissed

What people should know? YES! Basic fucking American History. But we're too busy with social promotion to actually teach the things that matter.

You are dismissed

That's what I said. We have 8th graders who don't know who the first President was, but they can sure slide a condom onto a banana. What the fuck is wrong with people?

I celebrate the 4th of July because these guys... were fighting these other guys. Those one guys they were like " bang bang". And the other guys were like "bang bang bang". And stuff happened. Then these one guys were like, "Hey! Let's write this thingy on this piece of paper." Then the other guys were like, "Aww fooey." That's why I get drunk.

You are dismissed

That's what I said. We have 8th graders who don't know who the first President was, but they can sure slide a condom onto a banana. What the fuck is wrong with people?

I’d rather people not become fathers before they are ready than to be able to know Washington or his cabinet. One doesn’t affect me very much, the other means that we’ll probably be sponsoring his son or daughter as she is passed from County to State jails for her life.

Now if the question was knowing how to slip a condom onto a banana vs. knowing why the settlers came to the new world, why the colonies were called, ahem, the colonies, what the trigger mechanisms were for the revolutionary war etc… you’re on to something.

See, what you guys are talking about is trivia. I would wager, if I sat here and thought about it, I could name all the Presidents in order without looking it up. Or come very close. I would wager I could name all of the Mercury Astronauts…put the major battles of the Civil War in order which they occurred. Probably name most foreign capitols, all state capitols, and run down the list of people on the various denominations of currency we have. And the prize for that is ___________. Nothing. It just doesn’t come up out side the universe of bar bets. When was the last time you were asked? Did it matter if you got it wrong?

These folks don't know.

Sad.

Happy 4th of July!

Yes , indeed. California is a mostly red state, that is why Hillary is worried Trump will carry it.

:rofl: back to school for Candy.

To be a “red” state, you have to have 1 more vote for the GOP slate of electors than any other party. But please don’t let facts confuse you.

Forum List

Back