CDZ Why do you eat pork if it is forbidden in the Bible?

I'm too lazy to see if anyone already posted the correct answer, but if not, here it is:

"About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”
-- Acts 9-15

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. - Mark 7:14

I quoted it 6 times and one lonely moron on here says that someone other than Jesus said it, even though the bible says that Jesus said it.

You can lead a horse to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

Some people simply do not understand that it is immaterial who said the words recorded in the pages of the New Testament. In truth there are very few Red-Letter words (words attributable to Christ) but it doesn't matter since most Christians believe the entire Testament to be the inspired Word of God.

A few posters have quoted Mark 7:14; however, there is another reference often used to show that the Old Testament diet is no longer applicable to Christians:

“I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. Let not then your good be evil spoken of: For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

“For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin” Romans 14:15-23, KJV, verse numbers removed for easier reading).

Note: other translations, including the Living Bible, make the quoted verses easier to understand but I prefer to quote the KJV.

Last edited:
When I was in high school, I lived on a farm and we raised pigs. In general, they are among the smartest animals I ever encountered. They only wallow in mud to avoid biting insects and heat. Of the millions of feral swine running wild all over North America, the problem is trying to find them. They seem to know when hunters are around. They will eat anything and their speed is unbelievable.

Also, their skin is so much like humans that it has been used for decades in grafting for severe burns. Pigs also produce the insulin human diabetics need.

As to eating them - I guess that's up to the individual. Modern pork is free of parasites and, when cooked properly, is no more harmful than any other meat.

As for me - I love pork chops baked in the oven with Shake 'N Bake.

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. - Mark 7:14

thanks S.J. I was too lazy to google------but I do recall---
Jesus was spoke to an incident in which he did not wash
his hands for lunch When I read it----long ago----I interpreted like a jew (jew that I am...) To me it seemed that whilst attending lunch with a group of people he wished to INSTRUCT-----do a little lesson in the Pharisee manner----HE
POINTEDLY DID NOT WASH HIS HANDS so that he had the
OPPORTUNITY to comment in sum and substance>> "you focus on ritual at a time when people
are spitting nonsense in the streets and courts"?

If Jesus wanted to do away with dietary laws----he would
have SAID SO. There is not the slightest hint in the NT---that jesus ate bacon and eggs that day----for lunch----he just
did not wash his hands--------got that everyone?. Of course---I am not a theologian. There are Chassidic stories
that kinda hit on similar ideas----the theme being
"WHAT's MORE IMPORTANT" ?????

I am also reminded of the fact that Einstein often
did not take the time to put on his socks
There was good reason for dietary restrictions in both the Bible and the Quran. Those restrictions were set in a much larger context of healthy living, not just diet. With little know about the human body, prevention of disease, and medical treatments, following these restrictions made sense then and some still do today. However, many of these prohibitions are not really as important today with the advances in our knowledge and technology.

the general -----"teaching" by rabbis today is-----just don't eat it------no real reasons necessary and no need to invent
any.

I know very little about kosher food. I was just adding my 2 cents why I don't like bacon lol.
I also finally realized some off the wall customs in the OT, were a matter of survival.
When I was in high school, I lived on a farm and we raised pigs. In general, they are among the smartest animals I ever encountered. They only wallow in mud to avoid biting insects and heat. Of the millions of feral swine running wild all over North America, the problem is trying to find them. They seem to know when hunters are around. They will eat anything and their speed is unbelievable.

Also, their skin is so much like humans that it has been used for decades in grafting for severe burns. Pigs also produce the insulin human diabetics need.

As to eating them - I guess that's up to the individual. Modern pork is free of parasites and, when cooked properly, is no more harmful than any other meat.

As for me - I love pork chops baked in the oven with Shake 'N Bake.

Horses do that too. Ive never been around pigs...I thought they lived and ate in mud.
Piglets are super cute.

Why are these religious themes so popular in the states nowadays?
I am not a Christian, but my understanding is that Christ's law over-ruled much of the old testament. Many of the old dicta are not part of modern Christianity.

Why are these religious themes so popular in the states nowadays?
I am not a Christian, but my understanding is that Christ's law over-ruled much of the old testament. Many of the old dicta are not part of modern Christianity.
Christianity has change a lot over the years. The Book of Enoch and the Gospel of Thomas were dropped. as they were shown not be the world of god. Early Christians saw Jesus as an agent of God even though Paul proclaimed he was the Son of God 25 to 30 years after his death. It wasn't till the Council of Nicaea in 325 that Christians really started to accept Christ as a deity. Up until a few centuries ago, most Christians had never read the Bible either because it was too expensive too own or they couldn't read. For centuries the occult was considered harmless fun by Christians although it was always considered as sinful. Until fairly recently, Jesus was believed to be White with European features. For centuries Christians believed beating them self silly with whips and switches would take away sin. These beliefs continued for centuries even after it was outlawed by the Church.

However, the most significant changes came about with the rise of Protestantism, and Science. Protestantism fragmented Christian beliefs into many denominations and Science unseated Man, Earth, and the Church as the center of God's universe.

Cultural changes or what fundamentalist Christians consider to be moral decay, has brought radical changes such as acceptance of role changes of men and women, divorce, birth control, abortion, and gay marriage in many Christian denominations.

Donald, what you misunderstand is the difference between the Old Testament and the New. Old Testament = Laws for Jews. New Testament = Law for Gentiles. Christ gave us one. Love God, and each other. Christ never said, "Don't eat pork."
Hope that helps clear up the misunderstanding. :)

Its unhealthy. I love the way bacon smells when its cooking but can only take a few bites.
Could you explain how you came to the conclusion that bacon is "unhealthy"?

I will help----probably because it is------full of saturated animal fats, cholesterol and SALT-----and even nitrates (I think---don't quote me)

Those are myths. Saturated animal fats, cholesterol and salt are not unhealthy. Carbohydrates and sugar do far more damage.
I agree. A diet with a lot of foods that are high on the glycemic index is generally an unhealthy diet. That would include ultra refined carbohydrates and refined sugar.

Its unhealthy. I love the way bacon smells when its cooking but can only take a few bites.
Could you explain how you came to the conclusion that bacon is "unhealthy"?

I will help----probably because it is------full of saturated animal fats, cholesterol and SALT-----and even nitrates (I think---don't quote me)
Salt is not bad for you. Also saturated animal fats improve your lipid profile by raising HDL levels. Also dietary cholesterol is not bad for you.

Cholesterol-lowering drugs are bad for you. Statins can cause diabetes.

I'm too lazy to see if anyone already posted the correct answer, but if not, here it is:

"About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”
-- Acts 9-15
Pork is forbidden by God. Plain and simple.

Quote in the new testament saying so?

I read that book-----there is no such line. -----but you can eat
lizards-----according to a dream someone had. Not Jesus.
My memory may be off-------I thought it was PAUL----but
some other person said it was Peter

Nope, Jesus said it. Bible says so. Quotes prove it. This whole thing is null and void.

no he didn't its an interpretation of a vague statement written
by a person who never met the guy----and who wrote it in a language
that Jesus did not know

Ok Jesus didn't write the bible. People heard him and wrote what he said down in scripture. These books were combined into one, known as the bible. The bible is considered the word of God. Yes, it was written by man, but is the word of God. Mark is also believed to be one of the first gospels ever composed for the holy bible. Where are you getting your info from? We've produced numerous websites to back us up, where is your evidence?

If I listen to something you say in English and write it down in Spanish, does it make it not something you said?

Didn't think so. Nobody but you doubts anything Mark says based on the language it was written in.

So where is your proof? Cough it up. With links, hun. Nobody gives a damn about your unsubstantiated opinion.

Last edited:
Muslims are not supposed to eat pork, and I know Jews aren't either...but recently I found out from one of my friends that according to the bible, christians are not allowed to eat pork (I think he mentioned Deuteronomy or something). Is there something that we both misunderstand or are just missing in general?
Roasted-Pork-2.jpg

Jewish dietary restrictions don't apply to non-Jews. When those laws were made Christians and Muslims didn't even exist yet. Those that did and weren't Jews weren't bound to Jewish law any more than they are today.

Evene post-Flood, the Noahide Laws didn't forbid non-Jewish consumption of pork.

Forum List

Back