Why don't we have something like this in America?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
In the UK and Canada there are awesome military themed youth groups like the army and air cadets. In the UK and Canada cadets are considered a legitimate youth activity and hobby. Why aren't such programs widespread in the US? Are American parents biased and prefer to have their children involved in athletics? Would American parents become angry if a cadet program was established in their community? I talked to my neighbor who has a son in high school and he said he wouldn't let his son join a program like the cadets. The training and opportunities of the cadets looks exciting and intense! I wished I had something like this when I was in school! It sure beats the hell out of kicking a ball during your high school years.

The Vietnam War ended a wonderful tradition of such organizations in secondary school. My father, stepfather, my mother's uncles, and the cousins were in such organizations from 1938 to 1943 from Lincoln City, Sacramento, and Fullerton. That's all over now.

And the Cub and Boy Scouts, Brownies and Girl Scouts.

The OP's neighbor is a wise man who obviously values his son and knows the last thing we need is yet another para-military group indoctrinating little children into the ways of war.

There is JROTC
U.S. Army JROTC

My son is forbidden from joining the military.

And why would that be?

Because this country doesn't have a war or conflict that my family hasn't been involved in. I come from a long line of vets. Long. If and when they come home, it takes 20 years for them to come to grips with it and people do not give a damn. They talk a good game when it suits them. Patriotism and the like. The vets get hauled out a few times a year and people act like they are treasured and then they set about to jack them out of benefits such as medical/mental health care. Some of the medical problems the government denies are even occurring.

And for what? We will no longer fight corporate wars. If the bastards want to get involved then they can first send their own children.

In the UK and Canada there are awesome military themed youth groups like the army and air cadets. In the UK and Canada cadets are considered a legitimate youth activity and hobby. Why aren't such programs widespread in the US? Are American parents biased and prefer to have their children involved in athletics? Would American parents become angry if a cadet program was established in their community? I talked to my neighbor who has a son in high school and he said he wouldn't let his son join a program like the cadets. The training and opportunities of the cadets looks exciting and intense! I wished I had something like this when I was in school! It sure beats the hell out of kicking a ball during your high school years.

Don't we have JROTC?

Don't we have JROTC?

JROTC still exists in a few places where local school boards have not become the exclusive turf of military-hating Marxist-leaning Democrats. Before someone whines about that yet, most school boards are chosen through "non-partisan" elections. That doesn't mean that the candidates can't or don't belong to any party - just that they can't admit to it and also they are not supposed to accept any campaign money from any party. "not supposed" Yeah. Right.

Who is supposed to pay for paramilitary training of children? the taxpayers? If we say we cannot afford universal pre-school, can we then say we can afford programs to train the next generation of troops?

Who is supposed to pay for paramilitary training of children? the taxpayers? If we say we cannot afford universal pre-school, can we then say we can afford programs to train the next generation of troops?

Universal preschool is an unnecessary waste of money.

It being optional I must agree that it should not be funded by local taxes. Perhaps if the federal government wanted to enhance recruitment and get the best rather than the dregs then some military money might be in order. But then where would the dregs find work? Oh, that's right! They don't HAVE to.

Reality is that the funding these days is from a mixture of sources. For some parents contribute directly; other places there is support from groups like The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Y'know, groups that have reason to understand a strong military, loyal to America and The U.S. Constitution, is nice to have.

It being optional I must agree that it should not be funded by local taxes. Perhaps if the federal government wanted to enhance recruitment and get the best rather than the dregs then some military money might be in order. But then where would the dregs find work? Oh, that's right! They don't HAVE to.

Reality is that the funding these days is from a mixture of sources. For some parents contribute directly; other places there is support from groups like The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Y'know, groups that have reason to understand a strong military, loyal to America and The U.S. Constitution, is nice to have.
Are you suggesting that the 97% of the population not in military service are mere dregs? Or are you suggesting that any career not involved in the military is worthless? Perhaps you believe that those not commissioned or enlisted are not patriotic or have respect for our country. Or maybe you think that the military is the highest aspiration for all American citizens.

Last edited:
"military-hating Marxist-leaning Democrats" on the school boards

That is the stupidest and most ignorant post of the day

Are you suggesting that the 97% of the population not in military service are mere dregs? Or are you suggesting that any career not involved in the military is worthless? Perhaps you believe that those not commissioned or enlisted are not patriotic or have respect for our country. Or maybe you think that the military is the highest aspiration for all American citizens.

Not at all!

Just the the best and brightest are overlooking the military and running off to liberal indoctrination centers cleverly disguised as institutions of higher learning. They aren't being informed about the advantages and advancement potential of participating in voluntary JROTC/CAP type activities.

Look at military recruitment efforts and how they are directed. It's so wrong that so many think of the military as a place to send JDs rather than to jail. You really don't believe that's happening?

Dream on.

We have a strong military in spite of the regime's policies.

For now.

Not at all!

Just the the best and brightest are overlooking the military and running off to liberal indoctrination centers cleverly disguised as institutions of higher learning. They aren't being informed about the advantages and advancement potential of participating in voluntary JROTC/CAP type activities.

Look at military recruitment efforts and how they are directed. It's so wrong that so many think of the military as a place to send JDs rather than to jail. You really don't believe that's happening?

Dream on.

We have a strong military in spite of the regime's policies.

For now.
There were times when a convict was given a choice, jail time or the military. We no longer have a draft so everyone in the military chose to be there.

Fitting the square peg of civilian life and career through the round hole of military service does not suit either the soldier or the civilian. If the military is unsatisfied with the level of their recruits, they should sweeten the pot to attract those who the military would find acceptable.

Your condemnation of higher education suggests that book learnin' ain't on your priority list. Is education valued in the military? If not, perhaps we found the real dregs after all.

Forum List

Back