Why don't you have any black friends?

Recently, a Reuters poll came out showing that 40% of white Americans have zero nonwhite friends, and only 20% of white Americans have five or more nonwhite friends. People seemed shocked that the numbers were so bad.

The Reuters survey itself is misleading, lumping all minorities together under the vague heading of "nonwhite." Depending on what part of the country you live in (e.g, anywhere but Minnesota or Wyoming), it's not uncommon to have Asian or Hispanic friends.

The reason why "How many black friends do you have?" is such a terrible question is because it shows how we typically talk when we talk about race. Even when we try to talk about race in a constructive way, we usually make black people the object of the sentence, rarely the subject.

Black friends are the things to be acquired to prove one is not racist. The way the question is asked accords black people no agency, nor does it reveal anything about the real character of the white person being queried.

Opinion: Why don't whites have black friends? - CNN.com

I choose not to have friends. Saves me from having to help people move and borrow my shit on the weekends.

Obviously this poll is meaningless. It doesn't even pass the smell test.
Especially in metropolitan areas it would be impossible to not have a single friend who is not a minority.
Ridiculous.

I've lived in cities all my life and this is the most accurate post I've seen on this thread. But most cities do have ethnic areas, but in the Big Picture races seem to melt right in. An example of accepted diversity would be Minneapolis which has to be one of the whitest cities in the US, yet has elected quite a few minorities and elected a black woman twice as mayor. People here accept diversity with open arms for the most part.
With that in mind, having a rainbow of friends is not a big deal and quite common.

Last edited:
If they can't trace their heritage back to Africa, then why do they call themselves "African"-American? Are they really dumb or something?

Are you serious? It is a fairly safe assumption that a majority of the black citizens in America have either a traceable or obscure connection to Africa somewhere.....

Just as many white citizens probably have some connection to Europe.

Does this mean to you that Africa is "home" to American blacks, or that Europe is "home" to American whites?

I will let you figure out the answer.

:confused:

European American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think what he's asking is why blacks differentiate themselves then bitch about equal.

You don't see whites claiming to be Euro-Americans do you?

Either you're an American or your not.

A lot of texans want to succeed from this great country. Let em.

Succeed - to do well
Secede - to separate political units

And Succeed is something we are quite good at.

ATexasFlagWaving.gif

Do you hear any whites calling themselves European-Americans? If you define yourself as "African", my guess would be that you love being African.

No, but I certainly have heard some white ethnic people call themselves, Irish Americans, Greek Americans, Italian Americans, Jewish Americans etc. . Why do you care so much about what people call themselves, how does it affect you?

Bullshit!!

There are organizations where folks recognize their heritage but they do not go around in public calling themselves hyphenated Americans.

It doesn't effect me but it does show an unpatriotic attitude on their part and questions their loyalty to America. I would never trust anyone that identified themselves to be anything other than American first.

I've never heard Rubio or Cruz say they were Cuban-Americans. As a matter of fact I've heard Rubio describe himself as an American of Cuban descent. Big difference!

:lol: It's complete bullshit on your part.

514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg

Irishamericanpride : Irish American Pride

italianamericanpride : Italian American Pride

There are people who refer to themselves as Irish American or italian American, if they thought that it was "unpatriotic" why would they join those "hyphenated American" organizations, because after all;like minded people make up and join those "hyphenated organizations".
They hope Rubio can help provide the solution, which is why they’ve chosen him to deliver the response to Obama’s State of the Union address on Feb. 12—in English and Spanish.

Read more: Marco Rubio: Immigrant Son | TIME.com

Why would "Mr. America" Rubio feel compelled to give a speech in Spanish? :)

Ted Cruz certainly refers to himself as being part of the Hispanic community here in america:
"Hispanic unemployment is higher than the national average and when the federal government is killing small businesses and killing jobs it is hurting the future of the Hispanic community and we need to carry that message.
Ted Cruz "

"Do you know the rate of military enlistment among Hispanics is higher than any demographic in this country?"
Ted Cruz

"A friend of mine, a Hispanic entrepreneur asked me a question sometime ago, he said, 'When is the last time you saw a Hispanic panhandler?' I think it's a great question. I'll tell you, in my life I've never once have seen a Hispanic panhandler, because in our community, it would be viewed as shameful to be out on the street begging."
Ted Cruz

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dOEaI0nP8]Why I'm Proud to Be an Italian-American - YouTube[/ame]

It's a club, they don't go around calling themselves "German-Americans".

!!

Sure they do, if the subject of heritage comes up. You keep trying and failing to make this same stupid argument. Move on and be wrong about something else for a while.

No they don't.

I'm from a German immigrant community and none of the townsfolk call themselves German-American. If the subject comes up they will say they are Americans of German ancestry.

Go to New Braunfels and ask them yourself.

http://www.german-american.com/

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxgRPNpFKi4]German-American Pride / Ich bin stolz ein Deutscher-Amerikaner zu sein! - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, by the way they have a German American league and town where I was from on Long Island. They CERTAINLY call and called themselves German Americans. It was and is a German settlement, with a lot of history. Look up "German American Bund" German-American Settlement League Inc in Yaphank, NY | 47 Schiller Ct, Yaphank, NY

There are parts of Los Angeles that are not predominately hispanic....
San Marino, Pasadena, Sierra Madre, Bradbury, Glendale, Eagle Rock, La Canada
are just a few of many. Of course, you will find Hispanics anywhere in California where there is a need for lower wage laborers. There is no getting around that.

If you detest them that much, you might want to explore living in Kansas or Nebraska, because they are not leaving California anytime soon.

You can thank Ronald Reagan for that.

I'm in West LA bordering Brentwood. A generally affluent neighborhood, we have apartments where the city has settled HUD housing recipients. Slowly the apartments are being torn down and replaced by high end condos without renters.

There's a family down the street, 7 children in a one bedroom apartment. They are generally quiet. But I saw the kids running around with party hats on and thought "Fuck, someone's going to get shot tonight". So hearing the gunfire wasn't a surprise. I"ve lived with Mexicans for decades.

Generally many live that way. They house multiple generations under one roof which in a way helps support the elders, but obviously makes for cramped living conditions. I live in the Inland Empire area between Riverside and Corona, and there are parts of those areas where they have a very strong presence.

For the most part, they don't bother anyone, and are usually just looking for work. You will not typically find them holding cardboard signs on freeway offramps asking for handouts.

The good thing is that you can go to the local Home Depot and find someone that can do just about anything relating to minor or even major home repairs.

Overall, I think their presence has more benefits than negatives.

No, but I certainly have heard some white ethnic people call themselves, Irish Americans, Greek Americans, Italian Americans, Jewish Americans etc. . Why do you care so much about what people call themselves, how does it affect you?

Bullshit!!

There are organizations where folks recognize their heritage but they do not go around in public calling themselves hyphenated Americans.

It doesn't effect me but it does show an unpatriotic attitude on their part and questions their loyalty to America. I would never trust anyone that identified themselves to be anything other than American first.

I've never heard Rubio or Cruz say they were Cuban-Americans. As a matter of fact I've heard Rubio describe himself as an American of Cuban descent. Big difference!

:lol: It's complete bullshit on your part.

514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg

Irishamericanpride : Irish American Pride

italianamericanpride : Italian American Pride

There are people who refer to themselves as Irish American or italian American, if they thought that it was "unpatriotic" why would they join those "hyphenated American" organizations, because after all;like minded people make up and join those "hyphenated organizations".
They hope Rubio can help provide the solution, which is why they’ve chosen him to deliver the response to Obama’s State of the Union address on Feb. 12—in English and Spanish.

Read more: Marco Rubio: Immigrant Son | TIME.com

Why would "Mr. America" Rubio feel compelled to give a speech in Spanish? :)

Ted Cruz certainly refers to himself as being part of the Hispanic community here in america:
"Hispanic unemployment is higher than the national average and when the federal government is killing small businesses and killing jobs it is hurting the future of the Hispanic community and we need to carry that message.
Ted Cruz "

"Do you know the rate of military enlistment among Hispanics is higher than any demographic in this country?"
Ted Cruz

"A friend of mine, a Hispanic entrepreneur asked me a question sometime ago, he said, 'When is the last time you saw a Hispanic panhandler?' I think it's a great question. I'll tell you, in my life I've never once have seen a Hispanic panhandler, because in our community, it would be viewed as shameful to be out on the street begging."
Ted Cruz

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dOEaI0nP8]Why I'm Proud to Be an Italian-American - YouTube[/ame]

"That's a wrap sports fans. Film at 11"

This message board is a microcosm of some of what the OP covered. When was the last time that a topic was presented that spoke to race relations between other races than black and white? What about Native Americans, Asians, and especially Hispanics?

The latter currently represents the most rapidly growing racial group in this country.
On occasion, just to see who would respond, I have posted that it probably would be a good idea for those under the age of 35 to consider learning Sanish as a second language, simply because at the current growth rate of Spanish speaking citizens, it may well become the nations primary language.

Here in California there are already numerous signs of this change on the horizon. Many companies here who are hiring are expressing a desire for bilingual speaking skills, and are even requesting fluency in Spanish as a first language. It is practically impossible to go to any public establishment for entertainment or out of necessity and see a workforce that is not predominately Hispanic.

An ongoing dialogue that strictly revolves around blacks and whites seems superfluous, considering the demographic transition that is happening in America. And it is happening more rapidly than many of us realize, while we continue to fight with each other.

Younger black and white men and women would be thinking forward if they began to recognize the need to understand the customs and language of the Hispanic cultures, because in the not too distant future, they may well be their employers, teachers, and the owners of the businesses that they patronize.

Just my opinion. Carry on.

Last edited:
This message board is a microcosm of some of what the OP covered. When was the last time that a topic was presented that spoke to race relations between other races than black and white? What about Native Americans, Asians, and especially Hispanics?

The latter currently represents the most rapidly growing racial group in this country.
On occasion, just to see who would respond, I have posted that it probably would be a good idea for those under the age of 35 to consider learning Sanish as a second language, simply because at the current growth rate of Spanish speaking citizens, it may well become the nations primary language.

Here in California there are already numerous signs of this change on the horizon. Many companies here who are hiring are expressing a desire for bilingual speaking skills, and are even requesting fluency in Spanish as a first language. It is practically impossible to go to any public establishment for entertainment or out of necessity and see a workforce that is not predominately Hispanic.

An ongoing dialogue that strictly revolves around blacks and whites seems superfluous, considering the demographic transition that is happening in America. And it is happening more rapidly than many of us realize, while we continue to fight with each other.

Younger black and white men and women would be thinking forward if they began to recognize the need to understand the customs and language of the Hispanic cultures, because in the not too distant future, they may well be their employers, teachers, and the owners of the businesses that they patronize.

Just my opinion. Carry on.

Sure they do, if the subject of heritage comes up. You keep trying and failing to make this same stupid argument. Move on and be wrong about something else for a while.

No they don't.

I'm from a German immigrant community and none of the townsfolk call themselves German-American. If the subject comes up they will say they are Americans of German ancestry.

Go to New Braunfels and ask them yourself.

http://www.german-american.com/

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxgRPNpFKi4]German-American Pride / Ich bin stolz ein Deutscher-Amerikaner zu sein! - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, by the way they have a German American league and town where I was from on Long Island. They CERTAINLY call and called themselves German Americans. It was and is a German settlement, with a lot of history. Look up "German American Bund" German-American Settlement League Inc in Yaphank, NY | 47 Schiller Ct, Yaphank, NY

Obviously this poll is meaningless. It doesn't even pass the smell test.
Especially in metropolitan areas it would be impossible to not have a single friend who is not a minority.
Ridiculous.

I've lived in cities all my life and this is the most accurate post I've seen on this thread. But most cities do have ethnic areas, but in the Big Picture races seem to melt right in. An example of accepted diversity would be Minneapolis which has to be one of the whitest cities in the US, yet has elected quite a few minorities and elected a black woman twice as mayor. People here accept diversity with open arms for the most part.
With that in mind, having a rainbow of friends is not a big deal and quite common.

I have a lot of family in Minneapolis, and have been for long stays as well as short visits. Good example

The browning of America will be her downfall...
If that is the case, you might want to grab your parachute.

I will be fine and that *is* the case. It's already happening. We have this infestation of brown parasites who are dirty, diseased, stupid, broke, criminal, godless... They ruin EVERYWHERE they go--neighborhoods, hospitals, schools, malls--EVERYWHERE! They are sucking us dry financially. They are stealing jobs, ID's, SS#'s--anything that isn't bolted down. They spread disease and have brought back previously-eradicated killers. They have killed more innocent Americans DUI than both wars.
Schools are failing because they have to focus on the morons who can't/won't speak/learn English. They are stupid, have low IQ's, and refuse to learn. They are mostly overweight/obese and steal hospital services by going to the ER for everything from a cold to the flu and refuse to pay. They live like animals and reproduce like bacteria. They are parasites, roaches, bloodsuckers and maggots.

illegalaliens.jpg

Last edited:
The browning of America will be her downfall...
If that is the case, you might want to grab your parachute.

I will be fine and that *is* the case. It's already happening. We have this infestation of brown parasites who are dirty, diseased, stupid, broke, criminal, godless... They ruin EVERYWHERE they go--neighborhoods, hospitals, schools, malls--EVERYWHERE! They are sucking us dry financially. They are stealing jobs, ID's, SS#'s--anything that isn't bolted down. They spread disease and have brought back previously-eradicated killers. They have killed more innocent Americans DUI than both wars.
Schools are failing because they have to focus on the morons who can't/won't speak/learn English. They are stupid, have low IQ's, and refuse to learn. They are mostly overweight/obese and steal hospital services by going to the ER for everything from a cold to the flu and refuse to pay. They live like animals and reproduce like bacteria. They are parasites, roaches, bloodsuckers and maggots.

illegalaliens.jpg

And all of that aside, they are still getting through the borders, and are STILL growing at a rate that will make them the majority in this country in a relatively short increment of time. That is a fact that will not change. Just as the Native Americans adapted to the arrival of the Europeans, this will be another process of evolutionary adaptation.

Forum List

Back