Why educated people are more Liberal

I've never been able to figure out why Liberals spend so much on degrees that pay so little if they're so smart.

It's because most well paying jobs have requirements that you have degrees. You can't even be a manager at a lot of retail stores without a degree.
What you are saying is you are not intelligent, inventive, talented or creative enough to work for yourself so you had to get a degree to go to work for someone else that required you to show how easily you can be manipulated. Big corporations love bots.

Nope. That has to be the most pitiful attempt at a strawman argument I've seen on this forum.
Just telling it the way I have seen it.

You should go to your local major university and ask to sit in on a Grad school lecture and then draw an opinion.

Of course knowing your position on most issues here, your opinion doesn't go very far.
I have seen the results of the current cattle type operation in the education system and I am not impressed. Your opinion doesn't hold any credence with me either, so no biggy.

I'm not taking sides here, just posting these links as some interesting reading on why those with college degrees in America, Canada, and Europe tend to be more Liberal, and why the less educated tend to be more Conservative, also, why American's believe they control their own destiny, while those in other countries would prefer the state to play a larger role in their lives.

Whatever side of the partisan fence you are on, this might make some interesting reading.

Why the Most Educated Americans Vote Democratic

How the education gap is tearing politics apart | David Runciman

5 ways Americans and Europeans are different
Why aren't blacks and Hispanics more conservative. You get the contradiction I trust, presumably being educated and all.

It has been my experience that smart people don't run around telling everybody how smart they are.

It's funny how Libs are always telling everyone how smart they think they are.
It is human nature to group think in a linear mode. They should learn to turn their funnels around and look out from that small end.

It's because most well paying jobs have requirements that you have degrees. You can't even be a manager at a lot of retail stores without a degree.
What you are saying is you are not intelligent, inventive, talented or creative enough to work for yourself so you had to get a degree to go to work for someone else that required you to show how easily you can be manipulated. Big corporations love bots.

Nope. That has to be the most pitiful attempt at a strawman argument I've seen on this forum.

You should go to your local major university and ask to sit in on a Grad school lecture and then draw an opinion.

Of course knowing your position on most issues here, your opinion doesn't go very far.
I have seen the results of the current cattle type operation in the education system and I am not impressed. Your opinion doesn't hold any credence with me either, so no biggy.

Funny, I'm seeing firsthand what a Grad student's work load is and the type of material that is used. You on the other hand just hate people with post secondary educations.

Would you prefer a doctor that learned their trade over Youtube or through trial and error? If you were arrested would you want your lawyer to have learned his trade on his own without a degree?

Because the dummies were duped into paying $200,000 in tuition for a degree worth about $40k?
I've never been able to figure out why Liberals spend so much on degrees that pay so little if they're so smart.

There are plumbers and electricians that make more that managers at a lot of retail stores and they don't have degrees.

And? A lot of plumbers still have to pass tests and be certified. Of course not all people are mechanically inclined.

I was addressing the statement of "because most well paying jobs have requirements that you have degrees". That's not necessarily true.

Passing a test to be certified isn't the same as a degree.

Lots of people drop out of school without a hs diploma yet certain ideologies in society still want employers to pay them for a skill set that most 5 year olds have.

Funny, I'm seeing firsthand what a Grad student's work load is and the type of material that is used. You on the other hand just hate people with post secondary educations.

Would you prefer a doctor that learned their trade over Youtube or through trial and error? If you were arrested would you want your lawyer to have learned his trade on his own without a degree?
No hate there. More like firsthand experience over the years of seeing how corrupt the educational system has become which has in turn corrupted the other fields. I have seen very few doctors and attorneys I would trust with my life; and that also comes from firsthand experience.

Hillary Clinton was elected to the Senate in NY having never held an elected office prior to that. When she was running, her supporters argued that her time as 1st Lady was a qualification. Are you saying that being married to someone who holds an office makes one qualified? My wife is a nurse anesthetist. We've discussed, in detail, what her job involves. Does that mean I could do the job?

Because the dummies were duped into paying $200,000 in tuition for a degree worth about $40k?

There are plumbers and electricians that make more that managers at a lot of retail stores and they don't have degrees.

And? A lot of plumbers still have to pass tests and be certified. Of course not all people are mechanically inclined.

I was addressing the statement of "because most well paying jobs have requirements that you have degrees". That's not necessarily true.

Lots of people drop out of school without a hs diploma yet certain ideologies in society still want employers to pay them for a skill set that most 5 year olds have.

So your saying you don't need to study to get certified? You do understand that to become certified in most vocational trades requires being an apprentice... which isn't mush different than going to college. Your argument fails in that matter.

No hate there. More like firsthand experience over the years of seeing how corrupt the educational system has become which has in turn corrupted the other fields. I have seen very few doctors and attorneys I would trust with my life; and that also comes from firsthand experience.

You didn't address the point at all.

Hillary Clinton was elected to the Senate in NY having never held an elected office prior to that. When she was running, her supporters argued that her time as 1st Lady was a qualification. Are you saying that being married to someone who holds an office makes one qualified? My wife is a nurse anesthetist. We've discussed, in detail, what her job involves. Does that mean I could do the job?

Hillary Clinton is a lawyer. And last time I checked there is NO educational requirement to run for a seat in the Senate. That's why they are representatives of the people. :rolleyes:

And many of them are with unions that give money hand over fist to Democrats!

Not in my State.

That may be true, there are many people that have a high school education and hove gone to run fortune 500 companies.

Or less than a high school education.

So your saying you don't need to study to get certified? You do understand that to become certified in most vocational trades requires being an apprentice... which isn't mush different than going to college. Your argument fails in that matter.

Getting a certificate is much different than getting a bachelors degree or a Masters degree or a PhD.

Getting training is one thing, it is another thing to take course that are general in nature that have nothing to do with your area of study, such as Liberal Arts classes.

Not in my State.

That may be true, there are many people that have a high school education and hove gone to run fortune 500 companies.

There is NO educational requirement to run for office.

Hillary Clinton is a lawyer. And last time I checked there is NO educational requirement to run for a seat in the Senate. That's why they are representatives of the people. :rolleyes:

Does being a lawyer make her qualified?

For those that elected her to the Senate and Obama as President, it's apparent that being educated isn't a requirement to vote either.

You are wrong. An apprentice in the trades must work with a journeyman (the expert in that field). Colleges on the other hand are passing out degrees and many of these pos's that hold degrees claim they are experts and they don't know their shit is nasty.

Not in my State.

There is NO educational requirement to run for office.

There are no educational requirements for being stupid either.

But you would be amazed how many think that there is.

In my personal experience higher education exposes a person to more diverse ways of thinking. One becomes more cosmopolitan in outlook. With such exposure, it becomes more difficult to be swayed by fear and suspicion, two aspects driving the modern American Conservative (who is indeed not Conservative, but Nationalist and xenophobic)

Today's Conservative is a victim of a cult of personality rather than ideology. Not all,that long ago, true Conservatives were applauding, among others, Paul Ryan on the GOP ticket as he brought fiscal Conservatism to the Republican brand. Since then, the Roger Stone/Paul Manafort Wing of dirty politics driven by lies, obfuscation, fear and suspicion has hijacked the ideologiwing of the GOP.

Being exposed to people in a college setting allows one to see through these vile aspects of contemporary politics.

So, yes. People with higher education are not as susceptible to fear mongering.

Forum List

Back