🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why housing is so expensive in California

Watching that show I am amazed at the real estate prices in some areas.
These people believe they are getting a deal buying a 50+ year old houses under 1500sq ft for 500k to a million.
That would buy you a 5000sq ft mansion where I live. With some acreage to boot.

Glad I live where my mortgage doesn't suffocate me.

The house in question sold for almost $500,000, and it was only 1600 sq ft.

Hey, $500,000 for 1600 sq ft, must have been an old show. That property should bring in somewhere near $650,000 unless it was a crap neighborhood or somewhere near Bakersfield/Fresno.

These people believe they are getting a deal buying a 50+ year old houses under 1500sq ft for 500k to a million.

It's the location. If you want to talk about high cost of housing why don't you look in your own country. Canada is ridiculous price, especially in a land where you freeze your ass off 10 months out of the year.
Yes, it is the location. It's where state and local governments have imposed a lot of idiotic regulations that drive up the price of housing. The same thing is true for Canada.

Hey, $500,000 for 1600 sq ft, must have been an old show. That property should bring in somewhere near $650,000 unless it was a crap neighborhood or somewhere near Bakersfield/Fresno.
It looked like a crappy neighborhood.

Wow.
Here is an example right in my area.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21231-Rum-River-Blvd-Oak-Grove-MN-55303/58762755_zpid/

That question does make me wonder why things in cali are so expensive. Is it just because of the taxes, or is it because of the persona that California carrys with it, and it's all considered prime real estate?

Wow.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21231-Rum-River-Blvd-Oak-Grove-MN-55303/58762755_zpid/

Yeah, that's not what you get in California for $515,000.

Wow.

May be a bit exaggerated, but not by much.
What $500,000 Buys You Around California - and How It Shapes Where We Move

Wow.

They bought the home for $330 K , and it was a total wreak. about the only thing salvagable was the framing. Come to think of it, the sale prices was probably more like $650K. $500K was the total cost with renovations.

Why housing is so expensive in California

Start with government shake downs, ahem I mean inspections. Guess how much it costs in California just for the government inspections required to build a new house...wait for it...OVER $100,000.

Then these filth west coast liberal pukes invented "Impact Fees" and slapped them on new construction. Want to build a new house, you have to pay thousands in "impact fees" to local government. School impact fees and library impact fees and on and on. I think the total "impact fees" on my new construction home were a whopping 3% of the purchase price. I didn't get anything for all that money, and I still had to pay my share of property taxes for these very same schools and services WTF. Impact fee means shake down fee. And if you dare sell your house they confiscate 2% of the purchase price off the top in another mystery fee.

Wow.

Do a search on Zillow for the city of Anaheim CA. The lowest price I saw was $485K for a 1000 sq ft townhome. They wanted $649K for a reasonable looking 1929 sq ft ranch.

Wow.

Do a search on Zillow for the city of Anaheim CA. The lowest price I saw was $485K for a 1000 sq ft townhome. They wanted $649K for a reasonable looking 1929 sq ft ranch.
I believe I will remain in the midwest exurbs.
The inner ring suburbs of the Twin Cities is starting to see higher real estate prices also.
Property taxes just one county south are 3 times higher than just outside metro. So are fees related to building permits.
Worth mentioning that the counties and exurbs surrounding the cities generally are red.

It's the location. If you want to talk about high cost of housing why don't you look in your own country. Canada is ridiculous price, especially in a land where you freeze your ass off 10 months out of the year.
Yes, it is the location. It's where state and local governments have imposed a lot of idiotic regulations that drive up the price of housing. The same thing is true for Canada.

We have the same building codes in Vegas as they do in California, but the price of a home in California is twice as much as Vegas so your theory doesn't hold water.

We have the same building codes in Vegas as they do in California, but the price of a home in California is twice as much as Vegas so your theory doesn't hold water.
No they don't, dumbass.

No they don't, dumbass.
Yes we do dumbass.

No they don't, dumbass.
Yes we do dumbass.
No you don't, dumbass. Which building codes are you referring to, the ones in San Francisco, or the ones in Bakersfield? Do houses in Las Vegas have to be built to withstand earthquakes? Of course they don't.

You're a liar, plain and simple.

Answer housing is more expensive every where more people want to live than there is afordable housing available .

Lots of bs in thread, here is the real reason real estate is expensive in California:

It is a desirable place to live.

Building codes are not the same as regulations...dumbass.

Forum List

Back