Why I Am Not A Christian

Just to take a step back for a moment, Anguille. Can you see how a Christian may feel hurt by your view that the cross is a masochistic symbol? Masochism is a loaded term and very negative.
Too bad. Those are my feelings and I should not be made to feel I must suppress them because someone reading this thread might be too uncertain of their faith to handle hearing what my experience and impressions have been.

Besides, wouldn't this just be like some Of Christ's sufferings that Christians are supposed to revere?

No need to suppress your feelings I just wondered if you had considered how your words are heard from the other side?
I've had varied reactions from Christians with whom I've discussed Christian symbols. I can never know how it will affect people. If I was a Christian, I don't think I would be surprised to hear other people don't see things quite the way I do. But then again, I'm not a Christian.

The term "we cannot change our very nature without Christ" has one meaning for Christians and another for non-Christians. It implies that life cannot have meaning without Christ--a truism for Christians only.
Thanks. Now I have an idea of what is meant by that. Too bad it took a non Christian to have the sense to explain that.

I really don't think you needed it explained to you. But whatever, keep playing dumb, I'm not buying it.

Just to take a step back for a moment, Anguille. Can you see how a Christian may feel hurt by your view that the cross is a masochistic symbol? Masochism is a loaded term and very negative.
Too bad. Those are my feelings and I should not be made to feel I must suppress them because someone reading this thread might be too uncertain of their faith to handle hearing what my experience and impressions have been.

Besides, wouldn't this just be like some Of Christ's sufferings that Christians are supposed to revere?

No need to suppress your feelings I just wondered if you had considered how your words are heard from the other side? You come across as if you have a chip on your shoulder the size of a boulder about Christianity.
I see you edited. I'm not really worried about how I come across to people. One place it seems you should not have to worry about being politically corect is on a message board.

Speaking only for myself (just as every individual commenting here is doing) I can tell you that eternal damnation and or eternal life are not at all what inspires me as a Christian.

Why not tell us what inspires you as a Christian? I for one, am always interested in hearing about what inspires others be they Christian or non-Christian to 'keep going' and live a fulfilled life.

I'm not one to turn a topic into being all about me..I feel most comfortable expressing my faith through deeds not words, nothing personal...I don't feel like I have anything to prove as if it is even a debatable topic. I just don't like seeing people being mocked over what inspires them one way or the other, it's personal and so the stray comments become personal and deliberately hurtful only to what end? Ego gratification?

Oh, I didn't consider that my follow up question as to what inspires you as a Christian would make you uncomfortable.

i think there are some 'hard edges' in this discussion and the burden to take the discussion to a 'higher ground' is with those practicing a spiritual path. JMO.

No need to suppress your feelings I just wondered if you had considered how your words are heard from the other side? You come across as if you have a chip on your shoulder the size of a boulder about Christianity.

Bingo!

The term "we cannot change our very nature without Christ" has one meaning for Christians and another for non-Christians. It implies that life cannot have meaning without Christ--a truism for Christians only.
Thanks. Now I have an idea of what is meant by that. Too bad it took a non Christian to have the sense to explain that.

I really don't think you needed it explained to you. But whatever, keep playing dumb, I'm not buying it.
Who cares what you buy. Now go back to bashing non Christians with your pal, ScurvyDelight.

No need to suppress your feelings I just wondered if you had considered how your words are heard from the other side?
I've had varied reactions from Christians with whom I've discussed Christian symbols. I can never know how it will affect people. If I was a Christian, I don't think I would be surprised to hear other people don't see things quite the way I do. But then again, I'm not a Christian.

It has nothing to do with someone not believing the same way, or having a different viewpoint. You demean, put down, insult. You do it deliberately, and then play dumb when someone calls you on it. If you want to bash and insult, fine, but don't expect others to not recognize exactly what you're doing.

Who cares what you buy. Now go back to bashing non Christians with your pal, ScurvyDelight.

Honestly Anguille. If Newby is bashing non-christians I've completely missed it.

Sorry, you're living in fantasy land. I've never bashed anyone for what they believe or don't believe. I've only called you out on doing that very thing every time there is a thread like this.

Honestly Anguille. If Newby is bashing non-christians I've completely missed it.
She's only actually bashing me. But I find it telling and amusing in a sad sort of way that she accuses me of doing all the things that ScurvyDelight does.

The two of them deserve eachother. :lol:

She's only actually bashing me. But I find it telling and amusing in a sad sort of way that she accuses me of doing all the things that ScurvyDelight does.

Uh no, dear, I'm simply pointing out that you are NOT the victim here, much as you like to play otherwise.

Uh no, dear, I'm simply pointing out that you are NOT the victim here, much as you like to play otherwise.
Whatever you say, Church Lady. :lol:

I'm probably the only poster on this thread who doesn't know who 'ScurvyDelight' is. Doh, I just figured it out.

Last edited:
Now, in a a very Christianlike way, I will allow Booby to have the last word. Nice debating with you all even if tempers got hot.

Whatever you say, Church Lady. :lol:

I hope that you someday manage to lose the obvious bias that you have against people of faith, or maybe I should say 'christian faith' since I don't know your feelings on the others. The majority are very good people who are only trying to make sense of what life is all about and do their best to make their lives and the world a better place. Respect is the key.

With all due respect, Sky Dancer, I've found some of what Newby has written to be annoying and it seemed to me he meant it to be hurtful. But whatever -- you're right. There needs to be an elevation of this discussion by those who are capable of it. Enough mud-slinging.

Newby, you seem to believe that any non-christian in my life circumstance (raised christian in the US) has to have a residue of anger towards the religion and its followers. I truly do not think you are right, at least about me. I am outraged by the RCC's continued efforts to suppress news of the sex scandals, etc. but outrage is not anger.

Most times, I accept or reject a person based upon their acts. Since this is a message board, there are no acts, just words. I think entering a thread on "Why I Am Not A Christian" to announce that all non-believers are going to Hell is counter-productive and annoying. I'm not sure why a christian would post to this thread but it would seem to me that exemplifying the peace and better nature y'all keep claiming to have found might be a better use of your time.

All of us reading or posting here who have eliminated christianity from our lives have done so after thought and spiritual quests. No one did so just to aggravate our parents, etc. If you really wish to engage any of us in convo, then a tone of respect is necessary. If you just want to bash us for failing to believe as you do (or claim to) then it seems to me the first step should be asking yourself why you feel the need to do that at all.

Where have I said that anyone was going to hell?

Another hugely dishonest post. I've not bashed anyone for what they believe or don't believe. Period.
Why do you have to lie to make your point? I've seen you do it on more than one thread. You assign people words and thoughts that they've never spoken or displayed in any way. If I have too, I can pick your post apart just as I have done before.

All of us reading or posting here who have eliminated christianity from our lives have done so after thought and spiritual quests. No one did so just to aggravate our parents, etc. If you really wish to engage any of us in convo, then a tone of respect is necessary. If you just want to bash us for failing to believe as you do (or claim to) then it seems to me the first step should be asking yourself why you feel the need to do that at all.

Bash non-Believers??? You have got to be kidding! There has been, at least from what I have witnessed and read here, a continuous bashing against Christians and their beliefs. Not honest questioning or debate, but beligerent disrespect and belittling.

Frank-

You have to expect in a thread about 'why I am not a Christian' that non-christians will weigh in on their reasons.

As a non-christian, who is posting on this thread, I take exception to you saying that this thread is full of non-christians bashing Christians and Christianity.

If you want to be respected, be respectful. Quite a few of us have put time and thoughtful energy into this thread. Notice that too. Respect is a two way street and it is earned.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back