Why I don't believe in God

Mr. Boss, basically you are trying to convince me that "spirituality" is a real thing? Perhaps you have a point. If you "feel" spiritual (whatever that means), then to you it is most definitely a "real" thing. But that is because it is based upon your own feelings, thoughts and biases.

I don't see how you have proven that "spirituality" is anything other than feelings and emotions that you have inside of yourself for whatever reason.

You know, there are many times when I hear a song I like and it gives me the chills, a physical manifestation of how I really enjoy some music. Does that make me "spiritual?" Perhaps in some people's opinions. IMO, it only means that this particular has had an effect on my emotions and feelings. :)

Boss

How can you prove to me that a song moved you? Can you show physical evidence of the thing that effected your feelings? What I hear is you describing a spiritual experience without using the word... is it the WORD you fear? Are you afraid it's going to cause you to be religious or succumb to theocratic dogma? It's okay, really! In the words of the great philosopher Stevie Nicks... there's nothing here to fear!

The bottom line though is that there is no real solid evidence of such things actually existing.

For you that may be true, I can't say. I can only tell you about my experience. I have plenty of evidence... all that I need. It may sound stupid to you but I can tell when my spiritual connection is out of whack... things are really shitty compared to normal. I nurture my spiritual connection through meditation and things get better instantly. You don't have to believe that for me to experience it.

And I never said I had an issue with that. What I have an issue with is you assuming that everyone else "needs" 'to have some kind of belief in order to be happy and productive individual when that is just not the case.

Well people prove every day that they can cope just fine without their spirituality. But again, if the attribute were unimportant to the species, it wouldn't exist in the species... that's Darwin, baby, not me. Some people can smoke cigarettes and drink hard liquor all their life too, and do just fine.... doesn't mean that's what's BEST for them. I've known drug addicts who were "just fine" without rehab for many years. I know people who become obese and live fat and happy for many years. I've not argued that you "need" anything.

Mr. Boss, basically you are trying to convince me that "spirituality" is a real thing?

No. I think you already intrinsically know it's a real thing but you don't want to admit it. I think you are scared of the word. My only objective is to let you know that you don't need to fear it. You don't even have to define it by a word or admit it to anyone. This is something inside of you and I have no control over it one way or the other.

Mr. Boss, basically you are trying to convince me that "spirituality" is a real thing?

No. I think you already intrinsically know it's a real thing but you don't want to admit it. I think you are scared of the word. My only objective is to let you know that you don't need to fear it. You don't even have to define it by a word or admit it to anyone. This is something inside of you and I have no control over it one way or the other.

I don't fear my feelings and emotions. What makes you say that? :)

I did not say that, did I?

Well that is what I think spirituality is, just your feelings and emotions. Our brains are quite amazing.

The only thing is, other living things have feelings and emotions too. Yell at your dog and see how he reacts... I bet he gets his feelings hurt and feels a doggie emotion. Take an apes banana away and see if he doesn't show you his emotions. So why aren't all these other creatures hindered by this imaginary made up belief in something not real?

Well that is what I think spirituality is, just your feelings and emotions. Our brains are quite amazing.

The only thing is, other living things have feelings and emotions too. Yell at your dog and see how he reacts... I bet he gets his feelings hurt and feels a doggie emotion. Take an apes banana away and see if he doesn't show you his emotions. So why aren't all these other creatures hindered by this imaginary made up belief in something not real?

Not like human beings. Hello???

Anyhow, the bottom line is, no, not everyone needs religion or even spirituality to be a happy and productive person. I do none of the self-destructive things you mentioned earlier in this thread. I just don't have a "need" for any of those things. I can deal with reality just fine all by myself, thanks. :)

Not like human beings. Hello???

Correct! We are spiritually inspired creatures and they are not.

Anyhow, the bottom line is, no, not everyone needs religion or even spirituality to be a happy and productive person. I do none of the self-destructive things you mentioned earlier in this thread. I just don't have a "need" for any of those things. I can deal with reality just fine all by myself, thanks. :)

I don't think you really believe there is nothing greater than yourself. I think you are in denial of your own spirituality and afraid to embrace it or admit it. That's just MY opinion. I understand you don't feel that you "need" those things.

You can live in a house with electricity and never plug anything into an outlet or flip a switch... be proud of the fact that you don't "need" the electricity.... if that is the point you wish to prove, that's up to you. It doesn't make the electricity any less real or defeat it's purpose. It's not going to jump out of the wall and demand you use it... I'm not coming to your home and make you use it. That choice is all yours.

I don't think you really believe there is nothing greater than yourself. I think you are in denial of your own spirituality and afraid to embrace it or admit it. That's just MY opinion. I understand you don't feel that you "need" those things.

You can live in a house with electricity and never plug anything into an outlet or flip a switch... be proud of the fact that you don't "need" the electricity.... if that is the point you wish to prove, that's up to you. It doesn't make the electricity any less real or defeat it's purpose. It's not going to jump out of the wall and demand you use it... I'm not coming to your home and make you use it. That choice is all yours.

Oh, I need my electricity. :D I have electric heat, so . . .

Making your god just as made-up as all the others.

Where is your scientific proof (or even, evidence) that humans made up spirituality? :dunno:
Religion.

:thanks:
religion is proof that humans made up religions......spirituality is WHY humans made up religions.......
Religion is simply organized spirituality.
that is, of course, my point......religion describes the organization, not the spirituality, which is something different........

I have a theory, that God controls evolution. Every living thing has a built in desire to live and when they are injured in some way you can often see their struggle to repair and survive. From the smallest organism to the most complex. Seems to me that the highest form of evolution, or survival would be to have the ability to survive beyond the life of the physical body. As you said our brains are very complex.

Perhaps that moment in the bible where it says God created man, was the moment the "animal man" made the leap to having a spirit, or soul or whatever you would call it. Suppose at that moment, then man was able to communicate with god on a certain level. Perhaps we have lost the ability to do so, which would come back to the Apple and the serpent. Which would represent some other factors.

Just a theory now

I have a theory, that God controls evolution. Every living thing has a built in desire to live and when they are injured in some way you can often see their struggle to repair and survive. From the smallest organism to the most complex. Seems to me that the highest form of evolution, or survival would be to have the ability to survive beyond the life of the physical body. As you said our brains are very complex.

Perhaps that moment in the bible where it says God created man, was the moment the "animal man" made the leap to having a spirit, or soul or whatever you would call it. Suppose at that moment, then man was able to communicate with god on a certain level. Perhaps we have lost the ability to do so, which would come back to the Apple and the serpent. Which would represent some other factors.

Just a theory now

Interesting but . . . I just don't really believe that there is a "god." If there was a god type entity, I really don't think it is anything like anyone says. Would be more like a "force" or something, IMO. Not a thinking or feeling type of entity at all.

Just a theory now

Interesting but . . . I just don't really believe that there is a "god." If there was a god type entity, I really don't think it is anything like anyone says. Would be more like a "force" or something, IMO. Not a thinking or feeling type of entity at all.

Well, I also think God would not have a human form, God may be a form of consciousness. Think of your own consciousness, you can't see it or feel it but it still exists. We really don't even know what it is. Perhaps we have a little piece of this other Force, if you want to call it that. Maybe we can choose to expand it inside ourselves or let it sit dormant all our lives, maybe just living on auto pilot so to speak.

Perhaps there is a force that has a desire to create. The fact that there is life at all in the universe is pretty damn amazing. and there also seems to be a certain order in the universe as well. even the structure of our DNA

Just a theory now

Well, I also think God would not have a human form, God may be a form of consciousness. Think of your own consciousness, you can't see it or feel it but it still exists. We really don't even know what it is. Perhaps we have a little piece of this other Force, if you want to call it that. Maybe we can choose to expand it inside ourselves or let it sit dormant all our lives, maybe just living on auto pilot so to speak.

Perhaps there is a force that has a desire to create. The fact that there is life at all in the universe is pretty damn amazing. and there also seems to be a certain order in the universe as well. even the structure of our DNA

So . . . instead of saying God Bless You, we should say, May The Force Be With You! :eusa_dance:

Just a theory now

So . . . instead of saying God Bless You, we should say, May The Force Be With You! :eusa_dance:

Well, you could try that for a while.....:smile: But it doesn't rule out a god with some sort of feelings but that is more for each person to decide.

Forum List

Back